Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is iOS 13 still fine or are there drawbacks? (new phone)

Was thinking about getting myself an used iphone 7 or 8 to upgrade from my shitty old LG with bad battery... I checked a few major music apps and they all seemed iOS13 compatible. Is there anything I might have overlooked or otherdramatic downsides to iOS 13 that might make it worthwhile to save a little more money and get a phone with a newer iOS?

Comments

• I would say leave it. If you have a whole lot of older apps you can lose some stuff I think. Make sure you check up on each app you really care about , all the major ones. That said, this guy here is using it.. you might wanna ask him.

• edited December 2021

@Cyp3 said:
    I would say leave it. If you have a whole lot of older apps you can lose some stuff I think.

the guy in the video says he is on iOS 15. i'm on ipadOS 14 and not yet thinking about going to 15. But what I am thinking about is adding an iOS 13 phone to my inventory.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@dobbs, the iPhone 7 and 8 are both iOS 15 compatible. It's going to force an upgrade to the latest iOS version when you set it up, so you really have no chance to stay on 13 anyway.

Unless you want to go back to iPhone 6 which caps out at iOS 12.5.5 (and you do not want to do that, trust me) you're stuck with iOS 15 like it or not.

I still use an iPhone 7s. It works fine, but don't even think about getting a 32gb model. That just doesn't cut it with music apps.

• I was doing fine on 13 up until Animoog Z came out. I had to update in order to download that app.

• I’m using my 6s+ on 13.7 (headphone jack, yay...). It’s more than enough for me from a phone even for casual basic musicing. It could go up to 15 but the issues throughout the whole 14 cycle kept me from updating. Tried a newer one (11pro) and went back to 6s+.
    I have an Air2 on 15 and would go back to 14 or 13 if I had the option. It’s pretty miserable on 15 compared to my 6s+ on 13 (afaik they are the same cpu/gpu generation).
    My main iPad (Air3) is on 13.7 as well and not planning to go 15. If I had the option I would probably go 14.8 (only for AnimoogZ) but I see no point updating it to 15 (the new multitasking 3dots are super annoying for me personally)
    Btw my 6s+ and my Air3 (both on 13.7) stopped bothering me about updates long time ago. Imo the bigger challenge is to find one that’s been kept on 13.

• dvidvi
    edited December 2021

My phone is an iPhone 7 on iOS 15. It runs much better on that than on 13, especially after I replaced the battery (with an iFix it kit). I plan to keep this phone until I run it to the ground, and for now that seems more than a year or two away. I haven't used it extensively as a dedicated music device but it is pretty capable for anything I've tried in it (recording with external interfaces in AUM; sequencing au or external hardware via AUM or Audiobus, and using it as a controller).

• @wim said:
    @dobbs, the iPhone 7 and 8 are both iOS 15 compatible. It's going to force an upgrade to the latest iOS version when you set it up, so you really have no chance to stay on 13 anyway.

Does it mean that if I fully reset my 15 capable device, I won’t have the option to keep it on its current OS (13.7)?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

Does it mean that if I fully reset my 15 capable device, I won’t have the option to keep it on its current OS (13.7)?

It depends on what you mean. I think just doing Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > [various options] won't result in an iOS update. But I could be wrong. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/return-iphone-settings-to-their-defaults-iphea1c2fe48/13.0/ios/13.0

If you do an Erase all content and settings from iPhone, an update will be forced. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/erase-all-content-and-settings-iph7a2a9399b/13.0/ios/13.0

If you restore from an iCloud or computer based backup, an update will also be forced.

• @wim said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

It depends on what you mean. I think just doing Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > <various options> won't result in an iOS update. But I could be wrong. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/return-iphone-settings-to-their-defaults-iphea1c2fe48/13.0/ios/13.0

If you do an Erase all content and settings from iPhone, an update will be forced. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/erase-all-content-and-settings-iph7a2a9399b/13.0/ios/13.0

If you restore from an iCloud or computer based backup, an update will also be forced.

Thanks for the links, will check them. 👍
    Yes, I meant erase everything and install apps etc. from scratch
    General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings

That’s bad, thanks for the notice!

• oh, I did not know they were 15 compatible. was just looking at the spreadsheets of refurbished devices and it said iOS 13. I don't miss the headphone jack as I likely wouldn't use it for making music without an irig interface at hand and I can count the number of times I've used my current phone's 3,5mm jack over the last years on one hand...

btw will an update also be forced on tablets when resetting or does that only happen on phones?

• @dobbs said:
    btw will an update also be forced on tablets when resetting or does that only happen on phones?

It's the same for any device. Just resetting settings to default shouldn't force an update, but a full reset or any kind of restore from backup will.

• edited December 2021

good to know.

I've found a refurbished iphone 8 64GB with a scratch free display for 150€, nice find I think. Got some scratches on the exterior but I'll put it in a hull anyway. Got some Sennheiser Ambeo headphones too, so now I'll be able to go out into the world and do nice stereo atmosphere recordings

• @wim said:

@dobbs said:

It's the same for any device. Just resetting settings to default shouldn't force an update, but a full reset or any kind of restore from backup will.

I have set up the device now and it did not go through with any update at all, it's now on 14.8. already love the little thing. what a nice size these phones have.

• @Cyp3 said:
    I would say leave it. If you have a whole lot of older apps you can lose some stuff I think. Make sure you check up on each app you really care about , all the major ones. That said, this guy here is using it.. you might wanna ask him.

I don't know of music apps that ran fine under iOS 13 that don't work in iOS 15.

Can anyone think of any?