Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Youtube has removed the dislike button

I don't hit the dislike button on content. If I don't like what I'm watching I move on and it also annoys me that I'm watching a very well presented video of say a vintage Memorymoog demo which is clearly positive and some dumb fucks have pressed the dislike button but I do think it's a odd choice for Youtube to remove it.

What are your thoughts.

Comments

• Did they say why they removed it?

• edited December 2021

they didn't, i still see it, both on website and in app

• I have sometimes used it for videos that claim to be a review of a product, but are rambling or incoherent to the point of being annoying. Other than that, I don’t think I’d use it … certainly not for creative works like music.

• @dendy said:
    they didn't, i still see it, both on website and in app

Yeah - I just checked Doug new video and there was both a like and dislike button.

• I noticed yesterday that the last videos that I watched didn’t have a single dislike which
    I found odd. Usually even the best content has at least a few dislikes. The button was there, but there was no count.

• Here's YouTube's own official video about the dislike button. Be sure to hit the dislike button on this vid :smiley:

• edited December 2021

I think that's a good idea to prevent content and content creators from the attacking behaviour. However there should be some sort of metric that represents how the viewers evaluate the content. Likes/views ratio for example.
    The number of likes itself doesn't represent the opinion of the viewers.

• edited December 2021

I’ll miss it :(

a d* mb f* ck

• no surprise here: neo-communist ideology in a nutshell. Dislikes are like hate speech, so let’s get rid of it.

• Nah. Always follow the money.

Can’t have anything that might discourage anyone from watching a video thereby cutting into ad revenue. It’s as simple as that, I reckon.

• Taking away the dislike count is sensible. Arseholes on the internet like to jump on the bandwagon and pile on the misery, and a dislike counter encourages that. There have been quite a few high profile cases of people taking their own lives due to online bullying, so YT had to do something to pretend they care.

In any case, the dislike button is the opposite of "If you can't think of something nice to say, say nothing at all". Social media encourages people to be aresholes, as aresholes create 'engagement'.

It's not even one of those "we can't have nice things" cases. Dislikes are inherently the opposite of nice. There should be a "Dishonest" button instead as so many popular videos are just peddling lies. But people would just use it as a dislike button.

Here's an experiment for you; Create a new google log-in and sign in to YouTube. Make sure autoplay is enabled (it should be by default, cos 'engagement') and play the first video recommended to you on the homepage. Leave it running overnight. Check your history and see how many of the videos YouTube chose for you include some kind of batshit-crazy conspiracy theories. I'd guess quite a few. Or maybe I'm just a magnet for flat earth videos! :lol:

It's amazing how many people seem to flock after the outrageously stupid.

• edited December 2021

Search for "Pufferfish eats carrot" and then tell me there shoudn't be a dislike button.

• @Simon said:
    Search for "Pufferfish eats carrot" and then tell me there shoudn't be a dislike button.

There is a dislike button. Just not a running dislike count.

• A glory hole for thumbs :D

• edited December 2021

people already built browser addons to return the dislike number and ratio bar. Just google "return youtube dislike"

• From things I've seen/read by people who analyze "the algorithm," clicking the dislike button increases a video's engagement score and pushes it to more people anyway. If you really don't like a video then clicking dislike is counterproductive.

• edited December 2021

I think negative feedback is a good thing, very often more valuable than all the positive feedback. Humans basically learn a lot from mistakes. In my career the biggest failures were absolutely among the experiences where I’ve learned the most. So how shall a content creator now see how much the audience was unhappy with the content? You can simply not distinguish between people who didn’t vote and these who wanted to dislike. I very much dislike this move of YouTube. It also won’t stop the haters anyway.

• edited December 2021

@krassmann said:
    I think negative feedback is a good thing, very often more valuable than all the positive feedback. Humans basically learn a lot from mistakes. In my career the biggest failures were absolutely among the experiences where I’ve learned the most. So how shall a content creator now see how much the audience was unhappy with the content? You can simply not distinguish between people who didn’t vote and these who wanted to dislike. I very much dislike this move of YouTube. It also won’t stop the haters anyway.

I don't think it hides the number of dislikes from the creator does it? It just hides the dislike count from the viewer.

• @krassmann said:

If you watch the video above, he says that it was abused by fractions to undermine certain YT views/influencers. If one cannot distinguish a genuine dislike from an orchestrated effort to bring someone down (which it seems they couldn’t) then you just do away with it.

For me I’m just glad that the only dislikes I ever received* for my Minnesota video from offended christian fundamentalists and Minnesota folk are now gone. Phew!

*AFAIK

• @krassmann said:

From the linked blog post: "Creators will still be able to find their exact dislike counts in YouTube Studio"

• @zah7 said:
    no surprise here: neo-communist ideology in a nutshell. Dislikes are like hate speech, so let’s get rid of it.

With the dislike button-on / count-off solution, you can still freely express your dislike. What you can't do is see how many other people did the same (unless you are the creator). What's "neo-communist" about that? (And what does neo-communist even mean?)

• @cyberheater said:
    I don't hit the dislike button on content. If I don't like what I'm watching I move on and it also annoys me that I'm watching a very well presented video of say a vintage Memorymoog demo which is clearly positive and some dumb fucks have pressed the dislike button but I do think it's a odd choice for Youtube to remove it.

What are your thoughts.

The dislike button had a function on fake videos, like click bait. I guess youtube is ok with that content.

• edited December 2021

With this logic up count should be hidden away as well, no?
    Am I the only one who thinks our very own code giveaways generate up votes regardless of the content or its quality? :)
    What’s the point of expressing anything if it’s hidden?
    Your vote matters if you cast it the right way :)

• @klownshed @ervin sorry, I’ve just read the posts here and I thought the dislike button had been removed completely. Good that I was wrong.

• @zah7 said:
    no surprise here: neo-communist ideology in a nutshell. Dislikes are like hate speech, so let’s get rid of it.

Strange take, I’ve always sensed more of a capitalist vibe from Google.

• A good counterpoint to why they should have left it: