Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zenbeats... a few questions

Sorry if the answers are obvious but they're not to me. @MatthewAtZenbeats or anyone who knows:

• Can multiple plugins be reordered? It seems like the only way is to delete and relaunch them in the order you want which is pretty inconvenient.
  • Importing single audio loops is straightforward but what about importing a larger number or folder full all at once? I'd like to be able to audition and choose 3rd party loops as easily as ZB native loops.
  • I have many 3rd party samples but don't know how to use them in Zenbeats as you would in a different app, like BM3. Is there a basic sampler / sample player in Zenbeats? Can Sampleverse serve as one or should I be using a plugin?
  • Bonus: are you using Sample Crate with Zenbeats? If so, how?

Greatly appreciated,

Joe

Comments

• @Schmotown said:
    Sorry if the answers are obvious but they're not to me. @MatthewAtZenbeats or anyone who knows:

• Can multiple plugins be reordered? It seems like the only way is to delete and relaunch them in the order you want which is pretty inconvenient.

Yep. Long press and drag to the new position.

• Importing single audio loops is straightforward but what about importing a larger number or folder full all at once? I'd like to be able to audition and choose 3rd party loops as easily as ZB native loops.

Using the files app, copy the folder into On My Device > Zenbeats > Zenbeats User > Instrument Samples

• I have many 3rd party samples but don't know how to use them in Zenbeats as you would in a different app, like BM3. Is there a basic sampler / sample player in Zenbeats? Can Sampleverse serve as one or should I be using a plugin?

For drum type samples you can load them onto the slots by long-pressing at the left then selecting Change Sound. For others you can use Sampleverse or a plugin. I've not used Sampleverse much, so I have no help to offer there.

Nope. I haven't updated to iOS 15 yet on my iPad, and I'm not sure the workflow would be that great on the phone without split screen.

• @Schmotown said:

Zenbeats doesn’t seem to support drag and drop from anywhere, be it files app, an auv3 plugin or sample crate… so no. You can’t even use the “export” contextual menu to open in Zenbeats. This should definitely be improved.

• edited December 2021

@wim and @tahiche you guys are the best. Progress so far...

• I learned how to reorder plugins. I had been long-pressing long enough to trigger the "delete" option when a quicker gesture is what works.
    • I moved a folder of loops and one-shots into the ZB Instrument Samples folder, then the Audio Samples folder. I'm not sure why, but they didn't show up at first. Then they did. Maybe they needed to be indexed. I have to learn more about tagging the files so they're better organized rather than appearing as one giant "User" list. Advice welcomed.

Thanks again. You've already helped a lot. I have two more somewhat related questions:

• Zenbeats take a long time to launch on the iPad Pro, much longer than other DAWs. Is that your experience? (On the Mac, it opens as quickly as anything else.)
    • Whenever I shift from Zenbeats to another iPad app then back again, ZB goes through the entire startup process all over again, even if I never exited Zenbeats. I don't understand why it doesn't stay active in the background. Is that just how it is or am I doing something wrong?
  • @Schmotown said:

• Whenever I shift from Zenbeats to another iPad app then back again, ZB goes through the entire startup process all over again, even if I never exited Zenbeats. I don't understand why it doesn't stay active in the background. Is that just how it is or am I doing something wrong?

That’s weird, have you checked the “enable background audio” in the settings screen?. Try that, maybe, although it certainly shouldn’t restart.

• @tahiche said:

@Schmotown said:

That’s weird, have you checked the “enable background audio” in the settings screen?. Try that, maybe, although it certainly shouldn’t restart.

Happens whether background audio is enabled or not. Also, I mentioned above that it takes a really long time to launch. I just timed it: 51 seconds until the Home Screen appears. AUM = 3.9 seconds. BM3 = 2.6 seconds. GarageBand = 3.6 seconds.

@MatthewAtZenbeats would look at this and weigh in? I love the app but the issues I'm having are really problematic. 2020 iPads Pro 11".

Thanks... Joe

• edited December 2021

@Schmotown said:

@tahiche said:

@Schmotown said:

Happens whether background audio is enabled or not. Also, I mentioned above that it takes a really long time to launch. I just timed it: 51 seconds until the Home Screen appears. AUM = 3.9 seconds. BM3 = 2.6 seconds. GarageBand = 3.6 seconds.

@MatthewAtZenbeats would look at this and weigh in? I love the app but the issues I'm having are really problematic. 2020 iPads Pro 11".

Thanks... Joe

Launch time depends on what you have in your loops/presets library apparently. I have most of them and it takes a while to start up. I have brought this to their attention.

ZB does not go through the startup process when bouncing between apps for me. Make sure background audio is on and try re-booting your device.

The best way to bring problems to their attention is to use the in app support link. I get almost immediate responses from them by doing it that way.

• @Schmotown said:

@tahiche said:

@Schmotown said:

Thanks... Joe

This is a blind shot… but maybe try and rescan all plugins in the settings page, and note if it stalls at any given plugin. I’ve had issues with plugins in the past.

• @tahiche said:

@Schmotown said:

@tahiche said:

@Schmotown said:

Thanks... Joe

This is a blind shot… but maybe try and rescan all plugins in the settings page, and note if it stalls at any given plugin. I’ve had issues with plugins in the past.

good call.

@Schmotown - If it does stall, then just keep retrying until all plugins eventually scan.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@Schmotown said:

• I moved a folder of loops and one-shots into the ZB Instrument Samples folder, then the Audio Samples folder. I'm not sure why, but they didn't show up at first. Then they did. Maybe they needed to be indexed. I have to learn more about tagging the files so they're better organized rather than appearing as one giant "User" list. Advice welcomed.

Zenbeats doesn't exactly have a folder tree, but it does show subfolders with things like User:Bass, User:Drum Kits, User:Drum Kits/TR-707, etc.. So, if you have a structure in that folder, at least they're listed in some kind of (flat) order. I don't think you can tag your own samples, can you? But ... at least there's the search box. I sometimes forget that's there.

That's strange. You might want to take that one up with their technical support.

• @Schmotown said:

I wonder if your copy of the app requires a lot of processor RAM, and it's being booted out when you switch to another app. You could check your logs for jetsam events at those times. The logs are in Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data. If this is the case, ZenBeats may be incorrectly loading data, maybe samples or audio tracks.

• @Schmotown said:

• I learned how to reorder plugins. I had been long-pressing long enough to trigger the "delete" option when a quicker gesture is what works.

Thanks again. You've already helped a lot. I have two more somewhat related questions:

• Zenbeats take a long time to launch on the iPad Pro, much longer than other DAWs. Is that your experience? (On the Mac, it opens as quickly as anything else.)

Hmm If Zenbeats is restarting by switching apps there could a memory issue on the device.
    How large of a sample library did you copy into the Zenbeats User folders? This could be adding to the slow start up time and is a known issue that we are looking into.

• Letting y'all know that Matthew is assisting me offline. (Excellent support, as usual.) If/when we find the culprit, I'll return to give you a report.

Thanks again,

Joe

• @MatthewAtZenbeats said:

@Schmotown said:

Hmm If Zenbeats is restarting by switching apps there could a memory issue on the device.
    How large of a sample library did you copy into the Zenbeats User folders? This could be adding to the slow start up time and is a known issue that we are looking into.

@MatthewAtZenbeats I’m just getting started with V3, which looks like a huge enhancement. Unfortunately, two issues you helped resolve last year, described above, have been reintroduced with this update. Please confirm and readdress.

Thanks!

• I just timed it and it took 2 minutes 30 seconds to launch on my M1 iPad Pro.

• @Schmotown said:
    I just timed it and it took 2 minutes 30 seconds to launch on my M1 iPad Pro.

Hi , could you post on the main
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34795/roland-zenbeats-by-roland-corporation-auv3#latest

check also the
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50215/a-new-zenbeats-version-very-soon#latest

it's hard for users and the active dev here to watch multiple same threads

• @CapnWillie Combined would be fine, at least the posts from today. Sorry, @Korakios. I thought the context of last year’s thread might be helpful but I should have just linked to that.