Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rare Audio Recording rediscovered

A rare remastered version of the composition ‘After 11’ from the infamous 1987 concert by That Jazz Quartet in the Hallgrímskirkja Church in Reykjavík.
TJQ were renowned for their long concerts but at approximately six hours this was pushing the limits of the recording technology of the time in addition to the bladders of the audience.
TJQ comprised…
Gio O’Shred, the Italian Irish reed player, famous for his circular breathing technique. In concerts he often held the same note for hours on end while the other members of TJQ improvised around him. In later life when the music jobs dried up he had a sideline inflating bouncy castles.
Will E Everstop, the percussionist, renown for the ferocity and power of his drumming. Such was the shock and awe he generated he still holds the Guinness World Record for the highest number of fatalities during a drum solo. He is heard here in one the quietest pieces he ever recorded, possibly due to being approximately 5 hours 55 minutes into the concert and having had nothing to eat or drink since the day before.
Miroslav Vacuous, the Czech child prodigy bass player. Famous for the wooden step ladders he had to bring on stage to allow him to reach the double bass, he suffered a major accident in 1989 as a result of a particularly aggressive woodworm infestation and subsequently concentrated only on instruments made completely of metal.
Umami, the Japanese virtuoso keyboard player known for her tasteful compositions. Having overcome a particularly rare form of white / black colour blindness in her youth she developed a very aggressive form of narcolepsy in her 50s. Many critics said that in her later career she played some of her best music with her forehead.
At the end of the recording we discover that some of the audience have given up on the pretense of keeping awake and finally we hear the Icelandic Police arrive, in a futile attempt to allow the midnight service to start.

Truly a classic recording (Rolling Stone)
Unbelievable (2 stars) (New Musical Express)
How did I make it to the end? (Billboard)
What was that? (Jazz Times)

Comments

• This is great. I once submitted a biography of a trumpeter called Demane "Puma" Williams as an assignment for a history of jazz course. If I remember well, he was said to be better than Coltrane and then moved to Italy and formed an ensemble called "I cinque gatti." The professor had never heard about him. The clue to it was hidden as an anagram in the name. It didn't occur to me to turn in a recording as well, but I did think about writing a wikipedia entry for him.

• @dvi said:
    This is great. I once submitted a biography of a trumpeter called Demane "Puma" Williams as an assignment for a history of jazz course. If I remember well, he was said to be better than Coltrane and then moved to Italy and formed an ensemble called "I cinque gatti." The professor had never heard about him. The clue to it was hidden as an anagram in the name. It didn't occur to me to turn in a recording as well, but I did think about writing a wikipedia entry for him.

You’re not saying this @dvi, of course. However, someone saying someone is “better” than Coltrane is so far off the road that he’ll never get back., and, IMO, not worth listening to about anything. There is no “better” at the top. Just other geniuses basking in the light.

This recording… well, the names are fun.

• dvidvi
    edited November 2021

@LinearLineman said:

@dvi said:
    This is great. I once submitted a biography of a trumpeter called Demane "Puma" Williams as an assignment for a history of jazz course. If I remember well, he was said to be better than Coltrane and then moved to Italy and formed an ensemble called "I cinque gatti." The professor had never heard about him. The clue to it was hidden as an anagram in the name. It didn't occur to me to turn in a recording as well, but I did think about writing a wikipedia entry for him.

You’re not saying this @dvi, of course. However, someone saying someone is “better” than Coltrane is so far off the road that he’ll never get back., and, IMO, not worth listening to about anything. There is no “better” at the top. Just other geniuses basking in the light.

This recording… well, the names are fun.

@LinearLineman I seem to remember the Puma Demane often gigged with a pianist called Lin-lin Manear. Perhaps you have an old recording of him hidden in your archive? It would be another gem to place next to this one!

• Ah, t’is but a jest… as in the famous flautist, Dick Stiffwhistle.

• The text had me laughing out loud... at a funeral. I really need to get this ABF habit under control. There's a time and place for "catching up".

The music did not make me laugh... it had a verisimilitude that made the write up even funnier.

Posting humor on the ABF is a risky proposition because there's no signal to make it obvious
    that you pulling both legs. And nothing kills the visceral impact of a joke more than needing to explain it.

Good job... good solid chortles and snorts here.

Can we keep this around longer by asking you how you made it? Where did you go for the
    crowd sounds for example.

• Very funny stuff, GT… but a nice performance nonetheless.

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

Excellent piece! I’ll leave it to you to decide if I refer to the track or the liner notes. B)

The track actually! I swear it did not seem to me like more than three hours long at the most.

• Thanks all for listening and commenting.
    @dvi the Wikipedia entry would have have been good idea… the village nearest to us had a completely made up entry for a while, this is a bit of it… ‘ Its population was decimated by a tapeworm outbreak ten years ago, those that remain relax by throwing sheep or shooting cows, and it gets no more than four hours of sunshine a day.’
    I feel sorry for you @McD if your sense of humour is anything like mine… Applause and snoring were from the totally free https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk/ , real Icelandic police sounds and door knocks were audio stripped off YT videos.
    Sounds were Soft Drummer, Ravenscrofts being played by ChordJams being played by StepBuds, SWAM Double Bass and Soprano Sax being played via GeoShred by me.

• As I read this, I thought of John Cleese narrating with a completely straight face.
    This is an excellent piece of comedy.
    You could have written for Monty Python!