Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

YouTube Ads...

I have developed a habit of watching (as in "not skipping") all Ads that are 30 second or less and simply skip all that are longer.

If YouTube would remove the skip-feature, while forcing longer clips, I may probably delete the YouTube App. I simply cannot bear longer Ads.

Then, I notice a multitude of Ads that are incredible bad in this sense:

They provide just music, without spoken text, not even a spoken company or product name.
Sometimes, there is even no sound at all!

In my book, those Ads are totally pointless.

Often, YouTube is running while I read or write stuff on the same or a second device - I just dont "watch" those Ads or even the video I am playing at al.
I would expect many people to do so, as long as they are playing the video because of it's audio content.

I cannot understand why so many YouTube Ads ignore this and don't mention their company or product name in the Ad they are paying for.
It's a hard joke to me.

Just saying 😅

Comments

• I reach for the mute button on the remote control as soon as I select a youtube video to watch, which silences the advertisements. The downside of that is that I often miss the first few words of whatever the youtube person says when their actual video comes on, but that’s their fault for starting so soon.

• Generally I skip them because the vast majority are completely irrelevant to me. Sometimes I find them offensive too. YouTube seems to have no clue about targeting ads.

• @michael_m said:
    Generally I skip them because the vast majority are completely irrelevant to me. Sometimes I find them offensive too. YouTube seems to have no clue about targeting ads.

I watch the short ones, to give revenue to the channel owners.
    Skipping the videos damages the channel and finally could lead YouTube to remove the skip feature.

Which is the reason for my way of handling this.

I just can't stand longer Ads or those which are pointless, having no spoken content 😅

• I have just changed my phone service provider and YT premium comes as part of the package.

It is such a joy to watch ad free YT videos now!

• I use ad blockers on both PC and iPad, and never see Youtube ads.

If you are really compelled to watch ads to support a certain channel, you can always whitelist the channel; however content creators often have more direct ways to provide support (such as Patreon, etc.) that obviate the need to sit through mind-numbing commercials.

• The demo period for YouTube Pro is now three months. I'm in the middle of my demo period and I'm pretty certain I won't be going back to free access. I haven't bothered with YouTube Music or any of the exclusive programming, but the advertising was becoming so obtrusive I was finding it hard to pay attention to any of the content I was watching.

• @busker said:
    I use ad blockers on both PC and iPad, and never see Youtube ads.

If you are really compelled to watch ads to support a certain channel, you can always whitelist the channel; however content creators often have more direct ways to provide support (such as Patreon, etc.) that obviate the need to sit through mind-numbing commercials.

Supporting by watching short Ads does not hurt me and does not cost money.
    Patreon and others cost money and cannot be used granular, I think most will require 1 euro or more... I have hundreds of channels subscribed ;-)
    So, for me, watching short Ads is the best way.

• @jonmoore said:
    The demo period for YouTube Pro is now three months. I'm in the middle of my demo period and I'm pretty certain I won't be going back to free access. I haven't bothered with YouTube Music or any of the exclusive programming, but the advertising was becoming so obtrusive I was finding it hard to pay attention to any of the content I was watching.

If I was a giant database of a corporation would I give targeted pointed ads to people, which I certainly could, or would I just take the no-work ad money and indiscriminately assault people with ads till they paid me to stop?

Google sucks. They killed advertising along with Facebook who gutted online journalism.

Strong opinion - f*ckem both

• Just a heads up, if someone has less than 1000 subscribers they won't receive any revenue from ads, but YouTube will still forcibly put ads on the video. They do this to more than half of my tracks, especially the ones with over 100 views, and I get nothing for it. I even tried to get the ads removed, to no avail because it's in the TOS. I don't really don't want my few listeners to be interrupted on YouTube, especially by ads. The whole thing irritates me beyond words 🤣 but it's either Google's way or the highway, since I'm doubly invisible on other platform algorithms.

• @audiblevideo said:

@jonmoore said:
    The demo period for YouTube Pro is now three months. I'm in the middle of my demo period and I'm pretty certain I won't be going back to free access. I haven't bothered with YouTube Music or any of the exclusive programming, but the advertising was becoming so obtrusive I was finding it hard to pay attention to any of the content I was watching.

If I was a giant database of a corporation would I give targeted pointed ads to people, which I certainly could, or would I just take the no-work ad money and indiscriminately assault people with ads till they paid me to stop?

Google sucks. They killed advertising along with Facebook who gutted online journalism.

Strong opinion - f*ckem both

I hear you. Unfortunately, there's a huge amount of great content creators that use YouTube as their primary distribution channel. I definitely feel like I'm going to be paying ransom money each month, but at least some of that money makes its way to the content creators.

• edited November 2021

I skip all ads and I assume people are always skipping the ads in my videos as well. Ad blockers here on all my devices. I'm a terrible person, I know.

I just passed 1 million views on my channel. When I look back at the tiny amount of money I made (before I recently turned off monetization on all my videos) I don't know how people can expect that platform to be a viable source of income.

• @Tarekith said:
    I skip all ads and I assume people are always skipping the ads in my videos as well. Ad blockers here on all my devices. I'm a terrible person, I know.

I just passed 1 million views on my channel. When I look back at the tiny amount of money I made (before I recently turned off monetization on all my videos) I don't know how people can expect that platform to be a viable source of income.

Congratulations

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    I play a game with the ads in my timeline on twitter. Block the sender for any promoted ads, every time I see one. At first the ads were clearly targeted to me in some way or another. By persistently blocking them the algorithms starts scraping the barrel and now I get the weirdest unrelated ads imaginable.

I do that as well and noticed the same thing. Pretty funny the stuff that comes up in my feed now!

• edited November 2021

My first TV was black and white. My first video game was literally pong. I lived in a town for 26 years that had 2 TV channels. A half hour program had 2 to 4 minutes of advertising before, after and 3 times during. Youtube have a long way to go before they break me. :D

• @Tarekith said:

Why did you turn them off? The income could grow 😅

• I've been paying for YouTube Premium for years now and couldn't be happier. It's less than $14 (tax included) per month and offers a great deal of value to me as YouTube is pretty much all I watch. I tried subscribing to Netflix and Amazon Prime before at a similar monthly price point and had to cancel both because I hardly ever use them compared to YouTube.

I find it rather curious that people are hesitant to subscribe to YouTube Premium to avoid ads while at the same time don't mind paying monthly for Netflix or Prime. YouTube Premium is light-years ahead in terms of value and content versatility as opposed to Netflix and Prime.

• tjatja
    edited November 2021

@Andre_K said:
    I've been paying for YouTube Premium for years now and couldn't be happier. It's less than $14 (tax included) per month and offers a great deal of value to me as YouTube is pretty much all I watch. I tried subscribing to Netflix and Amazon Prime before at a similar monthly price point and had to cancel both because I hardly ever use them compared to YouTube.

I find it rather curious that people are hesitant to subscribe to YouTube Premium to avoid ads while at the same time don't mind paying monthly for Netflix or Prime. YouTube Premium is light-years ahead in terms of value and content versatility as opposed to Netflix and Prime.

Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime offer Movies and series... things I would pay for as DVD or go to cinema for!

On YouTube, I consume stuff that I would rarely pay for. Watching some ads is OK for me as payment (if short enough).

• @tja said:.

Why did you turn them off? The income could grow 😅

I like making videos because I like helping others and enjoy the process. When I researched the stats on how many followers, views, etc I’d need to really make much money, it would require way more time than I already had. Figured I would make it more enjoyable for the people watching my stuff by just not bothering them with ads in the first place. At least not additional ones I was imposing on them.

It’s seems like a lot of the bigger YouTube stars get most of their money from sponsorships too, and that’s just not something I was interested in going after.

After a million views and around 5000 subscribers I think I made about $200-300 in total. Not tiny money, but it took me years of work to get to that point. I can make $300 in a day so much easier via other means, I’d rather focus on that and keep the videos for fun.

• Great, @Tarekith
    Thanks!

Found you and subscribed 🤗

• My view is that Google has intentionally made advertising as painful as they possibly can (more so in recent times) in a bid to increase take up of subscription based premium use. I think their strategy is working. Lots of people seem to be paying up.

I would pay because I cant stand the ads, but for the most part I use the Brave browser and without having to do anything the ads seem to be blocked. So, for now I am rolling with that.

• edited November 2021

I love to watch the few ads that actually interest me. I really tried hard for a while, disabling adblocker, watching ads, clicking on the ones I liked, reporting/blocking the shitty ones, rating whenever I could, disabling categories from the personalization list, but to no avail. it still is half completely irrelevant borderline-offensive stuff like mobile game or pyramid scheme ads, half "normal" ads, maybe 5% relevant ads. I returned to the adblocker.

@busker said:

what would you recommend for ipad?

• @soundtemple said:
    My view is that Google has intentionally made advertising as painful as they possibly can (more so in recent times) in a bid to increase take up of subscription based premium use. I think their strategy is working. Lots of people seem to be paying up.

Things definitely changed for the worse about 6-9 months ago and ads now kick in at least every 30 minutes now. Stark contrast to a few years ago where if you were unlucky, you’d see a vid at the start and only the start.

I watch a lot of YouTube content these days and until recently, like web sites I enjoy that rely on ad revenue, had to keep reminding myself that this is the reason things are free. A small price to pay, the annoyance outweigh the alternative to paying for content everywhere.

But I’m starting to get more ticked off at the thought this is a ploy to drive sales of YouTube premium. I’m fine with ads generally, but to make things almost unbearable to drive sales is pretty low.

• To be frank we’re still in the stone ages where it comes to advertising. YouTube is using the interruptive model which inherits from television, it’s established, but really, the industry shouldn’t stop there – there’s probably so many better ways than what already exists.

• @dobbs said:
    I love to watch the few ads that actually interest me. I really tried hard for a while, disabling adblocker, watching ads, clicking on the ones I liked, reporting/blocking the shitty ones, rating whenever I could, disabling categories from the personalization list, but to no avail. it still is half completely irrelevant borderline-offensive stuff like mobile game or pyramid scheme ads, half "normal" ads, maybe 5% relevant ads. I returned to the adblocker.

@busker said:

https://apps.apple.com/app/1blocker-ad-blocker-privacy/id1365531024?l=en

• @tja said:

@dobbs said:

@busker said:

oh this has a monthly fee though?

• @u0421793 said:
    To be frank we’re still in the stone ages where it comes to advertising. YouTube is using the interruptive model which inherits from television, it’s established, but really, the industry shouldn’t stop there – there’s probably so many better ways than what already exists.

That's a very good point, yes, I am sure they could come up with a different / better model. Do you have any concrete thoughts on what though, apart from banners etc?

• @tja said:

@dobbs said:

@busker said:

LOL, something is going fundamentally wrong when people prefer to pay for ad blockers rather than paying for the content. Anyway, I must say that the YT subscription is too expensive. I already pay for spotify, netflix and prime which delivers great content for less money. IMHO Google must add more value or lower the price to make me paying for YT.

• edited November 2021

LOL, something is going fundamentally wrong when people prefer to pay for ad blockers rather than paying for the content.

adblock is internet-wide, unlike youtube premium ;)

I would definitely prefer paying a 10-50 bucks internet fee that is then split up between the sites I visit over watching a single ad...

But I would prefer investing hours into getting the perfect adblock running over paying a monthly fee on 20 individual news and video sites...

• @dobbs said:

@tja said:

@dobbs said:

@busker said:

oh this has a monthly fee though?

It has such an option, IIRC.
    But I bought it Once-For-All-Times and it is great, as it offers a local firewall proxy that any and all traffic from all Apps need to take.

Fantastic technology!

It also offers a YouTube filter script package that allows to remove ads when watching YouTube with a webbrowser, but I normally prefer the App.