Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Beatles "Get Back" TV series

edited November 2021 in Other

Anyone watch the Get Back TV show?

I just watched episode 1 of 3.

Peter Jackson has done a beautiful job of re-rediting all that footage but I can't help think that this is one for the hard core fans. The first ep was 2 hours 36 minutes of the Fabs learning new songs and goofing around in the studio (the original "Let It Be" film was 1 hour 21 mins).

The scene where Paul creates the song "Get Back" out of pretty much nothing is a bit of a "wow" moment. It looks like the song is just being created from the most basic riff as the cameras roll and Ringo sings along.

Just as Kubrick captued the slowness of space travel in the movie "2001", this show captures the slowness of painstakingly putting together songs. If you've ever worked in a studio you know how long the days can drag - even if you are working with amazing talent like The Beatles.

2 more eps to go...

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up, I’ll be sure to check it. Currently watching arcane and I can’t stop!

• I’m watching the second episode while writing this.
    I’m a huge Beatles fan!
    I really enjoy what I see.
    But for not loosing my time,i work my guitar playing at the same time😉.

• Looks like something I’ll be dedicated my time to tonight.
    @Simon writing a song on the spot is not as hard as it may seem but I think not everyone has that knack for ‘right’ melodies. There, I think, quite a bit of talent is required although with practice I imagine it can be brought to a decent standard. I think every school should have a songwriting class ;).

I write (what people say are) decent songs all the time but I’m always in awe of rappers ad libbing during rapping battles. That’s another level altogether 😬

• I once saw some documentary where Paul said they once drove all across london to the west side or something, cause there was this guy there that knew about 7th chords (I imagine dominant 7th were an illusive thing back then). I just find it so funny, we kids take that for granted nowadays, but back then people had to strive for that knowledge. I’m sure ringo stayed home, smoking pot wondering what it’s all about

Anyway I’m sure I’ll love this series, even being a post beatles-era guy. Their repercussions are still alive in today’s music

• @supadom said:
    @Simon writing a song on the spot is not as hard as it may seem but I think not everyone has that knack for ‘right’ melodies.

It wasn't that he wrote it "on the sport". What was amazing is that it was captured on camera, and he came up with the essence of "Get Back" in about 45 seconds - and we get to see it happening! That's a song I bought when it came out all those years ago and today I get to see the birth.

• The bit that I found most interesting was that you could already see the tension between Paul and the others. Ringo sat out and defused where he could, John laid the bait and the tension manifested itself most often between Paul and George. As a Beatles fan, I was riveted from beginning to end.

• Is it just available on Disney+ ?

• @michael_m said:
    Is it just available on Disney+ ?

That’s my question exactly. Everybody’s watching the show because they all have Disney+??

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@michael_m said:

That’s my question exactly. Everybody’s watching the show because they all have Disney+??

Yes,only available on Disney+.

• Don’t tune out until George brings in Billy Preston because then it soars with the special mojo of a gospel keyboardist that makes everything groove: the "Jojo" mojo.

• @jonmoore said:
    The bit that I found most interesting was that you could already see the tension between Paul and the others. Ringo sat out and defused where he could, John laid the bait and the tension manifested itself most often between Paul and George. As a Beatles fan, I was riveted from beginning to end.

The Beatles had been Paul’s show for a bit by then. The others were worn out and over being a unit. I was a huge Beatles fan from the time they were on Ed Sullivan (I was 3) and when I watched Let It Be when I was in high school (years after they broke up), I cried. It was pretty obvious the relationships had run their course. Paul wanted them all to be the same pals they had been and the others were done with Beatle as their primary identities.

It is a miracle that they managed to go back into the studio and record Abbey Road.

• edited November 2021

For anybody even remotely interested in the Beatles' career, I can't recommend enough "Revolution in the Head," by Ian MacDonald. It's a song-by-song dissection of their catalog, chronologically, and it's astonishing. His writing style is very direct, and the really doesn't play into the mythology of the band much. He hears things you would never hear on your own — I'm specifically thinking of his description of Lennon's bass playing on "The Long and Winding Road," where he suggests you can hear in McCartney's vocal "an audible grin" when John kind of gets a little lost. And now I can hear it.

• @espiegel123 I’d just turned one when Abbey Road was being recorded. Discovering the full Beatles cannon came later in life and weirdly was fuelled by a love of Wings during the early days of Acid House - Wings tracks were part of a perfect soundtrack for hazy Balearic afternoons in the late eighties.

• @jonmoore said:
    @espiegel123 I’d just turned one when Abbey Road was being recorded. Discovering the full Beatles cannon came later in life and weirdly was fuelled by a love of Wings during the early days of Acid House - Wings tracks were part of a perfect soundtrack for hazy Balearic afternoons in the late eighties.

If it hasn't been shown yet, the perfect encapsulation of where the relationships were at was when they were recording Two of Us and Paul and George have a moment when Paul complains about how George is playing a part and George's attitude. And George tries to tell Paul something like -- "I am trying to do it your way and nothing I do satisfies you" -- with so much weariness. Missing from Let It Be (I wonder if it will be in Get Back) was that John's temper flared with George, too. He was very acid towards him and apparently one or the other them took a swing at the other -- and George left. Billy Preston joining the sessions was as a buffer to ease the tensions as they were all comfortable with him and gave George a sense that there was someone friendly around.

• It was $7.99 to join for a month. Worth it I’d say.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@michael_m said:

• @Crawlingwind said:
    It was $7.99 to join for a month. Worth it I’d say.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@michael_m said:

Excellent point. Plus it has "The Mandelorian," right! (Big Werner Herzog fan, lol.)

• I’m at 0:30 and I’m starting to get bored and I’m a huge Beatles fan.
    Perhaps because I witness this kind of stuff every Wednesday.

Sorry about Facebook links

https://www.facebook.com/papanuiband/videos/886781618421621

https://www.facebook.com/papanuiband/videos/2306606346097141

• Haha George is trying to squeeze his ‘all things my pass’ unsuccessfully, ends up releasing it years later as a solo! Lennon and Macca are trying to be nice but it drags as hell.

• Looking forward to watching this myself.

The “Hawkeye” series on Disney+ turned out to be a little less exciting than advertised.

• @Crawlingwind said:
    It was $7.99 to join for a month. Worth it I’d say.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@michael_m said:

Can’t really see anything else on there that I would want to watch, but might consider one month for this.

• @supadom said:
    Haha George is trying to squeeze his ‘all things my pass’ unsuccessfully, ends up releasing it years later as a solo! Lennon and Macca are trying to be nice but it drags as hell.

To be fair, Macca was allowed to squeeze in some pretty crappy tracks for years that are (my opinion) inferior to All Things Must Pass.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:
    Haha George is trying to squeeze his ‘all things my pass’ unsuccessfully, ends up releasing it years later as a solo! Lennon and Macca are trying to be nice but it drags as hell.

To be fair, Macca was allowed to squeeze in some pretty crappy tracks for years that are (my opinion) inferior to All Things Must Pass.

Definitely. Of all the Beatles he was responsible for their worst recorded songs.

• edited November 2021

@michael_m said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Definitely. Of all the Beatles he was responsible for their worst recorded songs.

Ha, but with the sheer volume of his output it was bound to happen. His songwriting was quite eclectic which by definition would have led to weird and cheesy choices. Vast majority of it though is quality though IMO.

As for George I guess having two strong personalities next to him he had no choice but to become for most part the supporting musician. Although I see from this doc that although he mostly accepted his faith he carried that weight with him.

It’s funny how many parallels I see with my current band. Last Wednesday I was told that with all the new songs I’m writing we’re running the risk of the band becoming my band. The thing is that while democracy is a beautiful thing, good songs will defend themselves and will get played because they’re good and fit current sound of the band. I don’t think ‘all things must pass’ fitted the band at that moment. In fact if memory serves me well most of the slow songs played were soulful screamers apart from maybe Let it be. I can’t remember the whole set list but that’s my impression anyway.

• @supadom said:

@michael_m said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Ha, but with the sheer volume of his output it was bound to happen. His songwriting was quite eclectic which by definition would have led to weird and cheesy choices. Vast majority of it though is quality though IMO.

As for George I guess having two strong personalities next to him he had no choice but to become for most part the supporting musician. Although I see from this doc that although he mostly accepted his faith he carried that weight with him.

It’s funny how many parallels I see with my current band. Last Wednesday I was told that with all the new songs I’m writing we’re running the risk of the band becoming my band. The thing is that while democracy is a beautiful thing, good songs will defend themselves and will get played because they’re good and fit current sound of the band. I don’t think ‘all things must pass’ fitted the band at that moment. In fact if memory serves me well most of the slow songs played were soulful screamers apart from maybe Let it be. I can’t remember the whole set list but that’s my impression anyway.

Time to get a new band!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Err, not necessarily.... :wink:

• Just bought one month of Disney+ to watch this, but it doesn’t show up anywhere?!?! I’m in Denmark. There shouldn’t be any regional differences on the release, should there?

• @galmandsværk said:
    Just bought one month of Disney+ to watch this, but it doesn’t show up anywhere?!?! I’m in Denmark. There shouldn’t be any regional differences on the release, should there?

Flick through the main banner on the home page, you'll find it there.

• @jonmoore said:

@galmandsværk said:
    Just bought one month of Disney+ to watch this, but it doesn’t show up anywhere?!?! I’m in Denmark. There shouldn’t be any regional differences on the release, should there?

Flick through the main banner on the home page, you'll find it there.

I’ve tried that. Did a search. Nothing. Found the documentary on Rick Rubin and Paul McCartney, and it doesn’t it even show up there as a recommendation…very strange. I’ve found reviews of it on Danish media, so it clearly exists here, but not on my Disney+ (using Apple TV).
    Oh well, I’ll send their hotline a message and ask what’s going on.

• Been watching previews on YouTube it looks and sounds phenomenal. Don’t have Disney+ though.

• @NeuM said:

@supadom said:

@michael_m said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Time to get a new band!

Nah, the band is too good to let go. It’s just we’ve lost a drummer and a trumpet/accordion/vocalist so we’re having a bit of an identity crisis. Also COVID has messed up all the rehearsal and gigs rhythm which hasn’t helped. But we have a drummer now and back on a tight practice schedule and a couple of fun gigs lined up so should be ok. The lockdown has been great for me personally because I had plenty of time to write and record new songs and let my hair down…but never thought that would be a real problem ;).

Get Back picks up towards the end of part two. Enjoying the second part now. There’s at least one major twist I wasn’t aware of @Poppadocrock definitely worth a watch. Here in the uk it got cinema release in September although I don’t know how could anyone sit through the whole thing in one go.