Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording AUv3s into iPad DAWs: impossible?

Comments

• edited November 2021

@Littlewoodg said:
    @audiblevideo what midi filter apps are you using for velocity and gate? It’s likely I have them, and I can run some tests in MTS

Thanks

The Art Kerns stuff and the MFX utilities. Loopy pro might be what I’m after but I’m definitely interested in MTS - especially since you keep talking about it :)

• edited November 2021

@audiblevideo said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @audiblevideo what midi filter apps are you using for velocity and gate? It’s likely I have them, and I can run some tests in MTS

Thanks

The Art Kerns stuff and the MFX utilities. Loopy pro might be what I’m after but I’m definitely interested in MTS - especially since you keep talking about it :)

So- proof of concept:

MTS will record both audio and midi coming from AUM, including midi sequencing, velocity changes, using in the example Art Kerns midiSTEPS, midiLFOs, and midiGATE

The routing in MTS:

One Midi Track is for AUM (AUM as an IAA instrument). This is setup as a midi “Practice Track” (“P”)

which sends sound to the Audio Track set to “PM”. This is where the AUM instrument is recorded.

The second Midi Track receives its info from a Virtual Midi source (chosen from a list in the source browser). “vmid” in the source window. This is where the midi sequence and other midi info (velocity in the example) is recorded.

The PM Audio Track, and the vmid track are armed to record. The midi track where AUM is selected is there to source audio into the PM Audio Track

The channel routing in AUM (as you see, I used midLFOs to modulate velocity in midiSTEPS)

The midi routing in AUM.

Velocity for the recorded midi (more nuance is possible and recordable)

Audio from the IAA AUM Practice track

(I don’t usually work with so many moving parts, but when problem solving I am a dog on a bone. The benefit of which is now I might move out of my habit and start working with more moving parts)

What I haven’t done in the example is figure out a way to sync start/stop between MTS and AUM.
    That would be cool to know…maybe AB would help
    I defer to the forum experts on this

• MTS looks great, but with so many moving parts, you could argue that one might as well just pipe the audio over iDAM to Logic. Or does MTS let you record audio from Audio Units?

• edited November 2021

@mistercharlie said:
    MTS looks great, but with so many moving parts, you could argue that one might as well just pipe the audio over iDAM to Logic. Or does MTS let you record audio from Audio Units?

Yes, MTS can record audio from Auv3, which is one piece of the set up above.

This without AUM or any other moving parts. That stuff was per the question @audiblevideo asked, recording AUM midi, with midi fx, and AUM audio

to record audio from AuV3 within MTS, assign the midi track where the Auv3 is hosted as a Practice track. (The midi track marked P)

Add an audio track and assign its source as Practice Track (the audio track marked PM)

You can program the midi you want to record to audio in the MTS piano roll, you can play on the MTS play surface (keyboard also strings etc)
    Or you can use a midi controller (midi 2.0, MPE)

2 steps and done, only parts involved: an AuV3 and MTS.

If you want to record midi at the same time, you add a virtual midi track.

Setting aside MTS for a moment, Beatmaker 3 is also able to record AuV3 audio (and midi at the same time). Pretty easily actually, probably the easiest of the 3, (counting MTS, and Auria Pro.)

• @Samu said:

@krassmann said:
    @Edward_Alexander you are right. That is probably the easiest workaround if you just want to play live with Animoog and record it along with your Cubasis track. 👍

But seriously a multi-app work-around for a flaw in a DAW?
    I'm almost ready to give up on 'iOS DAWs'(BM3 being one exception) and go back to Logic...

As long as we come up with these 'work around with apps' there's no real pressure on DAW developers to implement or add anything more than the 'basics' and when even that fails I start to question the sanity behind those who prioritize the features that get implemented...

...sorry for the somewhat naggy tone, but at the phase things are going I Cub-Land give it 2-3 years and a few more paid updates and we might get something that contains some of requests made since the initial release years ago...

Cheers!

Sorry to necro this thread, is this still the case with Cubasis 3? I never upgraded from Cubasis 2 because I kept reading stuff like this. Now I’m trying to record Animoog z Audio in Cubasis 2 as I play it. Using Apematrix hosting Z thru IAA to do this but it keeps losing contact and I have to reboot it. Seems to happen when I undo record in cubase…

Anyway

To anybody, is Cubasis 3 still unable to record audio of an AuV3 instrument?

• @maxwellhouser said:

Only using 'Track Freeze'...

...or by loading a third-party audio-recorder (4P Neon) as a plug-in and then exporting the audio and importing it back into Cubasis...

Super lame I know...

• @Samu said:

@maxwellhouser said:

Only using 'Track Freeze'...

...or by loading a third-party audio-recorder (4P Neon) as a plug-in and then exporting the audio and importing it back into Cubasis...

Super lame I know...

Thanks @Samu I can’t believe that and really glad I didn’t throw down money on C3. The IAA route is working ok as long as I don’t undo record. Lame indeed.

• @maxwellhouser said:

Thanks @Samu I can’t believe that and really glad I didn’t throw down money on C3. The IAA route is working ok as long as I don’t undo record. Lame indeed.

The now fixed multi-core CPU support alone is worth the upgrade (it was broken until Cubasis 3.4).
    It's one of the few hosts that does it in a good way. Also the side-chain routing among other things make it a worthwhile update.

The only time when I would need direct AUv3 recording would be when sampling stuff and for that I use IDAM over to my MacMini and sample the instruments, or record in AUM and trim it later...

Staying 'iOS Purist' is an exercise in sheer frustration so I use Logic and Renoise on the desktop and iPad as a 'sound module', that works for me...

Cheers!

• edited May 2022

(deleted)

• It would be great being able to record directly into the group tracks, or route a MIDI track into an audio track.

• These kind of routing issues is what keeps me using Ableton TBH. Being able to just route audio effortlessly from track to track (within the SAME DAW, no middle man!) is must-have feature.

• @Samu said:

@maxwellhouser said:

The now fixed multi-core CPU support alone is worth the upgrade (it was broken until Cubasis 3.4).
    It's one of the few hosts that does it in a good way. Also the side-chain routing among other things make it a worthwhile update.

The only time when I would need direct AUv3 recording would be when sampling stuff and for that I use IDAM over to my MacMini and sample the instruments, or record in AUM and trim it later...

Staying 'iOS Purist' is an exercise in sheer frustration so I use Logic and Renoise on the desktop and iPad as a 'sound module', that works for me...

Cheers!

To clarify, what I’m doing is air dropping a track that I started in Live and Pro Tools to record Animoog bass over it while outside of my studio. I’m no iOS purist by any means but iOS is very useful and inspiring to me. I will consider C3 next time there is a sale, thanks for that info!

• edited May 2022

@Apex said:
    These kind of routing issues is what keeps me using Ableton TBH. Being able to just route audio effortlessly from track to track (within the SAME DAW, no middle man!) is must-have feature.

+1. Ableton just works.
    And I really appreciate the modular audio routing in Drambo, although it's definitely not a DAW in the classic sense.

• Just tested, and i could add Audio Evolution Mobile Studio as a DAW that can record audio from a Midi-instrument (tested with Animoog-Z)

• @Apex said:
    These kind of routing issues is what keeps me using Ableton TBH. Being able to just route audio effortlessly from track to track (within the SAME DAW, no middle man!) is must-have feature.

It’s what keeps me using Ableton.

That said sometimes it can be a nice creative limitation with something like Drambo. It makes me more inclined to use the sample based workflow.

• @Identor said:
    Just tested, and i could add Audio Evolution Mobile Studio as a DAW that can record audio from a Midi-instrument (tested with Animoog-Z)

Thanks I’m going to investigate that. Do you use it a lot? Is it pretty solid?

• @maxwellhouser said:

@Identor said:
    Just tested, and i could add Audio Evolution Mobile Studio as a DAW that can record audio from a Midi-instrument (tested with Animoog-Z)

That is something i don't know. I found it in a deep corner on my iPad. According to the App-store, they have regular updates, and in-app purchases from ToneBoosters (Fx and Flowtones). They have MPE support, Drum pattern editor, gradual tempo change, Parallel effect paths, Compressor side chain, AU midi, track freeze, Stems export etc.

• @Identor said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@Identor said:

That is something i don't know. I found it in a deep corner on my iPad. According to the App-store, they have regular updates, and in-app purchases from ToneBoosters (Fx and Flowtones). They have MPE support, Drum pattern editor, gradual tempo change, Parallel effect paths, Compressor side chain, AU midi, track freeze, Stems export etc.

Audio Evolution seems like a solid contender, and definitely keeps evolving.

I wonder...Is it possible to record MPE MIDI from the actual Animoog keyboard? And if so, does the resulting section play back as expected i.e all the slides and glides reproduced as they were played?

Cheers :)

• edited May 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Auria can record audio from midi instruments,

• @el_bo said:

@Identor said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@Identor said:

I wonder...Is it possible to record MPE MIDI from the actual Animoog keyboard? And if so, does the resulting section play back as expected i.e all the slides and glides reproduced as they were played?

I'm gonna check it out tonight. First dinner, then taking my son to bed.
    If this goes well, i will capture a video and place it in on this thread, so you can judge for yourself :)

• @Identor said:

@el_bo said:

@Identor said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@Identor said:

I'm gonna check it out tonight. First dinner, then taking my son to bed.
    If this goes well, i will capture a video and place it in on this thread, so you can judge for yourself :)

Thanks! But please don’t go to a lot of effort on my behalf. I don’t own Animoog, so there’s no rush. Just been curious to find out if any DAW (especially those that claim MPE functionality) can properly capture an MPE performance, from its (Animoog) internal keyboard.

Interested to find out how you get on with it.

Thanks again :)

• BM3 can also do this...
    Just load an AUv3 to a pad/bank and select the pad/bank as the input for an Audio Track.

• @Samu said:
    BM3 can also do this...
    Just load an AUv3 to a pad/bank and select the pad/bank as the input for an Audio Track.

Can the AUv3be played from itown interface, or only with the BM3 or external keyboards?

Cheers

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:
    BM3 can also do this...

Can the AUv3be played from itown interface, or only with the BM3 or external keyboards?

Yes, if/when the AUv3 has a built-in keyboard.
    You can just hide the BM3 keyboard if you don't want to use it...

If you just want to noodle and record the synth to audio you can use the keyboard sampler in BM3 to sample/record the audio and chop it later if needed.

It's always a good idea to stay focused on what one wants to accomplish...

• @Samu said:

Like everyone, I guess - Get rich or die tryin' ;)

Actually, at the moment it's trying to get familiar with Koala Sampler

But, yeah...wise words. Thanks for the reminder :)

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

LOL, I was more thinking of what to do with the recorded audio from the AUv3's :sunglasses:

What would be the purpose of recording straight to audio vs. first recording midi, correct timing-errors etc. and 'freeze' ?

The BM3 method goes both ways, it will record the midi and route the audio to an audio-track.
    So if the 'performance' sucked one can correct the errors and record the audio again...

Koala in AUM's FX slot is a quite good way to record AUv3 synths direct to 'audio'(or rather to a pad) then trim and trigger it using the sequencer.

As longs as the CPU has juice left I prefer to keep all synths 'real-time' unless it's strictly for the purpose of creating samples.

I'd say that we'll need to wait a couple more years before most iOS 'DAWs' are mature enough to do a bit more flexible audio & midi-routing so we don't bump into all these WTF situations :smiley:

Cheers!

• Just recorded some notes from Animoog Z in Audio Evolution Mobile Studio by playing the keyboard in Animoog Z.
    Played the recorded clip, and MPE does work, because you van see the sliding on the keys per note.

• Recording an AUv3 instrument in Audio Evolution Mobile studio is dead easy.
    Create a new audio track, select as input the track with the AUv3 instrument (bottom on the list), ARM, and hit record :)

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:

LOL, I was more thinking of what to do with the recorded audio from the AUv3's :sunglasses:

What would be the purpose of recording straight to audio vs. first recording midi, correct timing-errors etc. and 'freeze' ?

The BM3 method goes both ways, it will record the midi and route the audio to an audio-track.
    So if the 'performance' sucked one can correct the errors and record the audio again...

Koala in AUM's FX slot is a quite good way to record AUv3 synths direct to 'audio'(or rather to a pad) then trim and trigger it using the sequencer.

As longs as the CPU has juice left I prefer to keep all synths 'real-time' unless it's strictly for the purpose of creating samples.

I'd say that we'll need to wait a couple more years before most iOS 'DAWs' are mature enough to do a bit more flexible audio & midi-routing so we don't bump into all these WTF situations :smiley:

Cheers!

The nod to Fiddy was just a liddle joke ;)

And it's being able to record to MIDI that I'm interested in. But with MPE AND from Animoog's internal keyboard. But from quite a lot of back-and-forth over the last few days, here on the forum, it seems (understandably) to not be possible in most software.
    Geert Bevin's MTR seems to so far be the best solution, but without the kind of routing or hosts like AUM, it seems limited as to where it can be used, And there's no editing, after the fact.

Yup! Decided to just concentrate on tools that I already have. And Koala is something I've had for ages, Unfortunately, I hadn't realised that AUv3 functionality was a separate IAP to Samurai, and bought the wrong one. DOH! But I'm still able to get to frips with it using imported audio and grabbing audio from screen-recordings. All is not lost ;)