Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noob Questions About Recording iPad in Ableton for Windows

If I plug a cable to the headphone jack of my iPad to the line (Mono) of my audio interface, will I lose something in terms of sound quality?

Should I use AUX or LINE L/MONO?

On each line (R and L) I have an option: GAIN HIGH or GAIN LOW, what is the best for my iPad?

This is what I'm using:

Thank you for any info or tips.

Comments

• You can 3/4 L/Mono. You will lose stereo recording this way. You could use a 3.5mm TRS stereo to 2x6.35mm (1/4") TS cable to record in stereo using the 3/4 L and R inputs. You could use the more common 3.5mm TRS to 2xRCA in channel 5/6 also. Try low gain setting and if it is too quiet with the iPad turned volume up fully try high gain and turn down the iPad if it distorts.

• You could also skip your interface and record your iPad digitally with Studiomux.

• @branis said:
    You could also skip your interface and record your iPad digitally with Studiomux.

The app looks cool, but the rating are so so. Is there a similar app that does the same thing?

• @Spud said:
    You can 3/4 L/Mono. You will lose stereo recording this way. You could use a 3.5mm TRS stereo to 2x6.35mm (1/4") TS cable to record in stereo using the 3/4 L and R inputs. You could use the more common 3.5mm TRS to 2xRCA in channel 5/6 also. Try low gain setting and if it is too quiet with the iPad turned volume up fully try high gain and turn down the iPad if it distorts.

To have stereo, AUX is not an option?

• @Montreal_Music said:

It probably is an option yes. I think you'd need to have "To PC" set to "Input Mix" as you would with the other options.

• @Spud said:

@Montreal_Music said:

It probably is an option yes. I think you'd need to have "To PC" set to "Input Mix" as you would with the other options.

If you want to learn more about audio like I do, it's more complicated that I thought.

Even with Google, simple questions are difficult to answer.

Should I record in 44.1 or 48?

Is recording in the AUX input is as good as record in LINE R and LINE L with a splitter?

It's a rabbit hole.

• 44.1 vs 48 won't make a difference for most casual recording. If you can find appropriate volume settings that work with the AUX input it will be as good as the other inputs.

• @branis said:
    You could also skip your interface and record your iPad digitally with Studiomux.

The other one to recommend would be SonoBus and to adjust for latency.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Spud said:

@Montreal_Music said:

If you want to learn more about audio like I do, it's more complicated that I thought.

Even with Google, simple questions are difficult to answer.

Should I record in 44.1 or 48?

These days this is more a personal choice.
    The difference between 44.1kHz and 48kHz is marginally.

I would say though if you're doing a lot of visuals?
    Then record in 48kHz.
    Video editors are geared towards 48kHz.

Whether at 44.1kHz or 48kHz bit depth is important so definitely use 24bit.

Is recording in the AUX input is as good as record in LINE R and LINE L with a splitter?

It shouldn't make much of a difference actually.
    AUX's also second as extra preamps.

It's a rabbit hole.

Yup, been there.

• There is Ableton link S/S... and record directly on your iPad..

• @Spud said:
    44.1 vs 48 won't make a difference for most casual recording. If you can find appropriate volume settings that work with the AUX input it will be as good as the other inputs.

Simple answers, I like it! You got the job, thank you!

• @RajahP said:
    There is Ableton link S/S... and record directly on your iPad..

Ableton link: OK, I know what it is

S/S ? What?

I found a zillions solution with MAC, but with Windows....

• edited November 2021

@Montreal_Music said:

@RajahP said:
    There is Ableton link S/S... and record directly on your iPad..

Ableton link: OK, I know what it is

S/S ? What?

I found a zillions solution with MAC, but with Windows....

S/S is Start, Stop... it is soooo handy.. Good luck.

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

Unless you really need live recording, saving to audio file and just transferring to the PC is zero loss and way less trouble.

• @wim said:
    Unless you really need live recording, saving to audio file and just transferring to the PC is zero loss and way less trouble.

Agreed. I personally do this using Koala Sampler.

1. It allows me to export as an Ableton project
    2. I can NOW export a Koala project and open it on my Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS device.

Hint: Koala for Windows - http://www.elf-audio.com/koala/win.php