Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequencer on iOS to replace Deluge?

Got too reduce my boxes, I’m bloating, not being productive and could use the cash. All I use my deluge for is sequencing since I’m no longer commuting after lockdown (for its size it’s the best powerful all round groovebox, but the circuit is still more fun IMO)

Anyone be able to clarify what iOS app might cover me here?

.. normally, have a 2 or 3 or 4 bar loops in play, so it’s short midi loops, with no more than 6 tracks playing at one time (a kit is one track) I.e I don’t use song mode.

• half of my tracks are preprogrammed, and the other half (drums and lead) are performed/recorded midi looper style.
  • need to easily arm tracks to be midi looped (with midi learn so I can set up my foot pedal), and have easy undo if I mess up.
  • add a variety of trigs to a note: I.e. step per loop \ percentage per step etc. (and more options if possible like only play one percentage per step on kits)
  • easy muting of tracks, and individual notes in drum kits.
  • control set groups of tracks to mute and then play a new group at end of loop. I.e. 1) I perform a fill at the end of the loop, so the kit tracks need to mute, while other tracks like the bass continue, it then returns to the original group that played (doing this on the deluge is a bit of a hack but possible) 2) have multiple groups for my chorus, verse etc, So I could go from a bunch of tracks playing a verse, to a new bunch of tracks that is the chorus, while I midi record the lead for the chorus when it starts.

Features that I would like that the deluge does not have:

• Post quantise after I’ve recorded it in with a 50% quantitative option.
  • Retrospective looping.
  • i love the iso keyboards on the deluge, but the launchpad mk3 has sensitive pads.. so maybe an atom2?
  • I want to send midi tracks to Mozaic or Drambo for generative layers from existing midi for alternating versions etc.., so AUmidi would be good. Not tried this yet.

I have tried the midi looping on MPCLive, Launchpad and Maschine, and none-of these has these above features I use on the deluge.

Comments

• I can’t say for sure because I’m not a heavy user, but the answer to any question like this is usually “Drambo.” :)

• Have both. I can't think of anything like that.

• Maybe when loopy pro gets midi looping it will be able to do group track switching / arming, so i can do fills and switch song structures.

Or maybe someone knows how to do this with existing solutions?

• edited November 2021

There may be a way to put a modular system together using AuV3 instruments/sequencers/FX, with AUM as a hub. You mentioned Atom2, Neon (and Drambo as mentioned above) would also fit as components in that modular schema…There are some expert/power users doing AUM live performance here on the forum, maybe they can chime in. If you post a query that probes this particular AUM use case you may be able to get more specific advice (or get advice that this wouldn’t fly! Though it seems to me the only way…)

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

yep. I started to answer based off of a couple of apps but each one needed more workarounds than not. I can't think of any app that completely fits. Everything needed some amount of chewing gum and duct tape to keep it all together. Not having a Deluge to reference, I wouldn't venture to say how to kludge all that together.

• edited November 2021

I would recommend Drambo and the forthcoming Loopy Pro. This set up has changed the way i work with synths samples and loops in a major way like no piece of hardware ever has.

It won’t be a 1:1 mapping of what you can accomplish on a Deluge but Drambo is the closest app to an OctaTrack and DigiTakt which i know of.

It’s a different way of working which produces stellar results as you put in more time with it…it pays dividends if you will.

• I say replace the deluge with more hardware :smiley:
    Just got a squarp for sequencing. Love it.
    (i still swear by hardware sequencers)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I say replace the deluge with more hardware :smiley:
    Just got a squarp for sequencing. Love it.
    (i still swear by hardware sequencers)

I love the Squarp too even though I don’t have one . Do you use it through AUM? Only thing I don’t like about it so much is the low ppq resolution, (96 ppq).

• 96 isn't low. It's normal ;)
    You can always double the tempo

• edited November 2021

@echoopera said:
    I would recommend Drambo and the forthcoming Loopy Pro. This set up has changed the way i work with synths samples and loops in a major way like no piece of hardware ever has.

I can see how in loopy pro one might be able to:

• live midi loop, and arm instruments.
    • switch/mute between groups to perform fills or switch from a verse to a chorus while jamming live.
    • and if I can do that with a foot switch I’m 80% there being happy.

Not quite sure how I would do step trigs in Drambo if the midi data is in loopy, if I could sync the length of loops between the the apps then maybe use Drambo as a midi step mute filter.. humm.

Alternatively I can use Drambo as a trig based audio fx. And that is fun in Drambo.. (as long as my cpu lasts lol)

Either way not today loopy pro midi looping is not here. Dear deluge.. Should you stay or should you go now, if I you go there will be trouble, if you stay it will be double.. lol

• Maybe one of the iOS daws has robust midi looping with group launch/mute?

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

@jollyDodger said:
    Maybe one of the iOS daws has robust midi looping with group launch/mute?

ZenBeats.
    But it doesn't come close to your OP wishlist.

Oh, and GarageBand in Loop Launcher mode. Seriously.
    But still not very close.

• edited November 2021

Still thinking AUM, with the tools. Instances of Atom2, Neon, Drambo and other instruments per preference. Am I way off here? Midi to arm instruments, move between midi sequencerr and audio looping, etc etc?

• @jollyDodger said:
    Maybe one of the iOS daws has robust midi looping with group launch/mute?

Have you tried using Imaginando LK as an AUv3 MIDI plugin?