Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Beat Tape Dropped Today

My new beat tape dropped today and I’m very excited.

My first attempt at a beat tape turned into an instrumental album. I put a bit too much thought into it and didn’t leave room for vocals on the tracks.

This time around, I went for something a bit more simple while keeping with my unique style. They’re fun to listen to on their own, but there’s plenty of room for vocals.

As usual, produced entirely on iOS. All were composed on my iPhone 11 in Cubasis 3 using TB Flowtones, BLEASS Alpha, AudioKit Pro Bass 808, and EG Pulse. I then bounced the individual tracks to AUM on my iPad Pro and did my own mixing and mastering. I used TB Equaliser, TB Reverb, TB Barricade, BLEASS Compressor, BLEASS Filter, BLEASS Chorus, BLEASS Saturator, Quantovox Spatializer, and 4Pockets SideBand Remix.

Shoutout to @shinyisshiny and @Tarekith for helping me on a previous thread. They provided some very helpful information which led to this being the best mixing and mastering job I’ve done so far. Not perfect by any means but I’m far more proud of this than anything else I’ve released.

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/dukewonder/wonder-tape

Comments

  • edited November 19

    Wow, very nice. I like the tracks and also the mixing. Very clean and transparent. Could you please point me to these mastering threads?

    So many questions… why did you compose on the iPhone when you have an iPad Pro? I didn’t even know that Cubasis is usable on an iPhone. And why did you master in AUM? Most people seem to do it the other way round: jamming and composing in AUM, creating stems and then mastering in Cubasis using the mix automation. So why is mastering with AUM better?

  • @krassmann said:
    Wow, very nice. I like the tracks and also the mixing. Very clean and transparent. Could you please point me to these mastering threads?

    So many questions… why did you compose on the iPhone when you have an iPad Pro? I didn’t even know that Cubasis is usable on an iPhone. And why did you master in AUM? Most people seem to do it the other way round: jamming and composing in AUM, creating stems and then mastering in Cubasis using the mix automation. So why is mastering with AUM better?

    Thank you! Here’s the thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/47424/mastering-for-spotify-what-am-i-missing/p1

    I compose on my iPhone because I always have it with me. It’s easier to pick up my iPhone as I have time between conference calls or while I’m chilling on the couch with the fiancée and she’s talking to her friend on the phone for a few minutes. I don’t have a lot of “dedicated” music time so using my phone allows for more flexibility to work on stuff on the fly. And Cubasis 3 works really well on the iPhone.

    I use AUM for mixing and mastering because it offers more flexibility in terms of routing and is lightweight CPU-wise. I run into DSP issues pretty quick if I try to throw all of my plugins on CB3. But I have to work pretty hard to overload AUM.

    So I get my arrangement complete in CB3, mixdown all of the tracks separately, throw into AUM, change my bass, snare, and kick to mono, throw some chorus or phaser onto the pads, something like Spatializer on the lead, beef up the bass and the kick, don’t do much to the hats or snare beyond some filter and EQ, then into my mastering chain.

  • Sweet! Reminds me of Techmaster PEB. Nice clean mix. That subbass thumps. Are you sidechaining it with the kick?

  • Congratulations!

  • Cool, thanks for sharing. Amazing that you can make some music just in between. I usually need some time to get into the flow.

    Funny, for me it’s the other way round. I can run 3-4 times more plugins in CB3 than in AUM. I have an iPadPro with a M1. Did you turn on the multi-core rendering of CB3? For that you need to set a value for the „Audio Engine Latency“, usually double than the Device Latency. If it is set to off you are operating single threaded. In this way I can run 30 tracks with Model D. Don’t be irritated that the DSP meter shows a higher figure then.

  • @DukeWonder said:

    @krassmann said:
    Wow, very nice. I like the tracks and also the mixing. Very clean and transparent. Could you please point me to these mastering threads?

    So many questions… why did you compose on the iPhone when you have an iPad Pro? I didn’t even know that Cubasis is usable on an iPhone. And why did you master in AUM? Most people seem to do it the other way round: jamming and composing in AUM, creating stems and then mastering in Cubasis using the mix automation. So why is mastering with AUM better?

    Thank you! Here’s the thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/47424/mastering-for-spotify-what-am-i-missing/p1

    I compose on my iPhone because I always have it with me. It’s easier to pick up my iPhone as I have time between conference calls or while I’m chilling on the couch with the fiancée and she’s talking to her friend on the phone for a few minutes. I don’t have a lot of “dedicated” music time so using my phone allows for more flexibility to work on stuff on the fly. And Cubasis 3 works really well on the iPhone.

    I use AUM for mixing and mastering because it offers more flexibility in terms of routing and is lightweight CPU-wise. I run into DSP issues pretty quick if I try to throw all of my plugins on CB3. But I have to work pretty hard to overload AUM.

    So I get my arrangement complete in CB3, mixdown all of the tracks separately, throw into AUM, change my bass, snare, and kick to mono, throw some chorus or phaser onto the pads, something like Spatializer on the lead, beef up the bass and the kick, don’t do much to the hats or snare beyond some filter and EQ, then into my mastering chain.

    Really like the track, that 808 bass/kick hits nice.

    Thanks for sharing this part.

  • @DukeWonder said:

    sounds great!

  • @ocelot said:
    Sweet! Reminds me of Techmaster PEB. Nice clean mix. That subbass thumps. Are you sidechaining it with the kick?

    Thank you! I am not. I’ve tried that on past tracks and could never get the attack and release right. Instead, I increase the attack on the 808, crank the gain up on Barricade’s limiter, use saturation on the 808, and EQ both.

    @Poppadocrock said:
    Congratulations!

    Thank you!

  • @krassmann said:
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Amazing that you can make some music just in between. I usually need some time to get into the flow.

    Funny, for me it’s the other way round. I can run 3-4 times more plugins in CB3 than in AUM. I have an iPadPro with a M1. Did you turn on the multi-core rendering of CB3? For that you need to set a value for the „Audio Engine Latency“, usually double than the Device Latency. If it is set to off you are operating single threaded. In this way I can run 30 tracks with Model D. Don’t be irritated that the DSP meter shows a higher figure then.

    Interesting. I don’t have the M1, and last I had checked, the multi-core didn’t work on my 2020 Pro. Granted that was like the day after the multi-core update came out so I’ll have to play around with it again. If I could do it all in CB3, it would make it so much easier.

  • @cokomairena said:

    @DukeWonder said:

    sounds great!

    Thank you!

  • hell yah! sounds really good. very full bodied, loud, punchy, warm etc etc! stoked to hear it.

  • @shinyisshiny said:
    hell yah! sounds really good. very full bodied, loud, punchy, warm etc etc! stoked to hear it.

    Thank you!

Sign In or Register to comment.