Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo - this was just posted on Facebook

Comments

• @MAtrixplan said:

@Lorichs said:
    We have a small update on the update

Ho ho, I see Gadget inspired view :)
    I like it

I guess with this update, Midi Import should be included..

• @wim said:

@Lorichs said:

@tahiche said:

Personal craving/recommendation: Drambo could maybe include some “utility” stuff to make some things easier. I’m thinking choke groups or cv-to-notes, for example. These are pretty hard to figure out for CV noobs and take a while to set up. If utility stuff like this came out of the box it’d maybe attract more users.

For choke groups i use the “Amp env AD mod” on the ex open hihat sample. Then i modulate the decay with gate from the closed Hihat track. It might not cover every need but it is pretty quick to make

There are plenty of ways to work around it, but there shouldn't need to be. I agree with @tahiche on this one.

When making music with an iPad we’re being sound engineers and musicians. Choke groups or CV to note conversion stuff are definitely in “geek” territory right now and sort of penalize the playful musician. They take enough effort to kill the creative mood. I’m no neurologist, but when you’re in a creative space, actually playing music, you don’t feel like getting into this sort of stuff, which belongs to another part of the brain.

• Out of curiosity...
    What type of modules would you guys like to see in the future?
    What modules would help you to utilise Drambo?

Feel free to go nuts...
    describe exact functionality, or just drop an existing product that tickles your fancy... a single missing piece or a list...
    You may also put a price tag (if any) in the comment, regarding what would you consider fair (IAP)

I may start a poll later based on your input to figure out priorities.
    Help shape D! :)

• I’d like to see step components for effects, like the OP-Z. You can already tell a note to play, say, only every second time. I want that for effects, too.

Then again, maybe that’s already possible.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’d like to see step components for effects, like the OP-Z. You can already tell a note to play, say, only every second time. I want that for effects, too.

Do you mean effect like audio processing (f.e reverb, delay etc)? You can p-lock effects and apply all existing step components to the lock only (instead of trig+lock).

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:

@Lorichs said:

@tahiche said:

Personal craving/recommendation: Drambo could maybe include some “utility” stuff to make some things easier. I’m thinking choke groups or cv-to-notes, for example. These are pretty hard to figure out for CV noobs and take a while to set up. If utility stuff like this came out of the box it’d maybe attract more users.

For choke groups i use the “Amp env AD mod” on the ex open hihat sample. Then i modulate the decay with gate from the closed Hihat track. It might not cover every need but it is pretty quick to make

There are plenty of ways to work around it, but there shouldn't need to be. I agree with @tahiche on this one.

When making music with an iPad we’re being sound engineers and musicians. Choke groups or CV to note conversion stuff are definitely in “geek” territory right now and sort of penalize the playful musician. They take enough effort to kill the creative mood. I’m no neurologist, but when you’re in a creative space, actually playing music, you don’t feel like getting into this sort of stuff, which belongs to another part of the brain.

Exactly this.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’d like to see step components for effects, like the OP-Z. You can already tell a note to play, say, only every second time. I want that for effects, too.

It is:

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Out of curiosity...

It's almost perfect) My only wish is more modulation options. With Drambo there's not so musch use for MiRack, Voltage and other modular stuff. But sometimes I felt limited with basic LFO and Envelope Shaper. It would be super-duper cool to have something like Lissajous LFO for slow and organic stuff and Quad LFO for complex and relative modulation. Like Xaoc Devices Batumi or Malekko Quad LFO.

• @lazyass said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Out of curiosity...

It's almost perfect) My only wish is more modulation options. With Drambo there's not so musch use for MiRack, Voltage and other modular stuff. But sometimes I felt limited with basic LFO and Envelope Shaper. It would be super-duper cool to have something like Lissajous LFO for slow and organic stuff and Quad LFO for complex and relative modulation. Like Xaoc Devices Batumi or Malekko Quad LFO.

I've had a look at the Lissajous LFO.

You can put together something like that already
    in dRambo using the modules that are already there.

Here's a couple of examples.

Light Synth

and a Tesseract.

Turn down the sound it's a bit raucous.

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:

@Lorichs said:

@tahiche said:

I feel like having this complaint about Drambo is like complaining that you have to patch everything up yourself if you buy a modular system or even mirack. It’s like this by design. For example, the ‘cv to note’ aspect, I would hardly say this is l geek territory as it’s literally all done for you, you just have to drop on a single module (note generator if you want to use midi or midi to cv if you want to go the other way), no brain power required. For the choke groups, the ‘workaround’ provided literally involves adding two modules an amp (volume control) and a gate from the thing you want to choke (midi to cv). For anyone familiar with how cv & gates work, it’s really not hard to understand what’s happening. You use the gate of the chokee (a high signal when a note is played) to pull down the amp so that no gates pass through of the sound you want to choke. While this may seem like a load of extra steps to some, if you grasp the concept, it probably takes as long as it would to load in any other auv3 or whatever. Also the more things that are added to Drambo for convenience, it runs the risk of ruining its flexibility or the power in setting things up exactly as you want them.

If your issue is with the application of these things because it’s hard to grasp or it’s difficult to implement ideas you have, that’s 100% completely valid but the only ‘fix’ for that is to actually learn what’s happening. I get that it can be very daunting but if you take things step by step, you can pretty easily get to a point where experiments directly increase your knowledge of how modular environments work and therefore these things become second nature.

In my opinion, Drambo is a perfect balance of an easy to use interface with modular workflow. It may just be a case that modular environments don’t fit your workflow? They definitely aren’t the quickest way to get from A to B but I think the power lies in the fact that as you are trying to get from A to B, you end up having some happy accidents or learn some new tricks and you actually end up at point C, completely bypassing B where you intended to go.

Not sure how much of that makes sense but I think there needs to be a bit of a distinction on who Drambo is geared towards. There’s the ongoing joke here that Drambo can do it all but that doesn’t mean everyone should do it that way. I get that a lot of people feel like they are missing out because they don’t fully grasp Drambo but in reality, if putting in a lot of time to learn and experiment doesn’t sound interesting, I just don’t think Drambo is the right way to go 🤷‍♂️

Out of curiosity...

Feel free to go nuts...
    describe exact functionality, or just drop an existing product that tickles your fancy... a single missing piece or a list...
    You may also put a price tag (if any) in the comment, regarding what would you consider fair (IAP)

If there was an mpc style drum module I'd be up for paying no problems..

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:

@Lorichs said:

@tahiche said:

Then use a different app or just use pre-built modules. For some MUSICIANS apps like Drambo are inspiring—just as some are inspired geeking out in Max or Reaktor and find that to be part of their musical flow.

Use the apps that inspire you…allow room for apps that inspire others.

Out of curiosity...

Have you tried Nest from Sugar Bytes? That kind of MIDI routing in Drambo would be fantastic.

• edited February 2022

@Gravitas said:

I'm sure it's possible to mimic Quad LFO to. As I heard you can do anything you want in Drambo :p
    But as @tahiche said about choke groups there shouldn't need to be. Building racks often kills music flow and they don't seem streamlined and usable as Lissajous and Batumi. There's a ton of LFO eurorack modules but everyone loves Batumu because it's plain, effective, deadly simple and complex at the same time.

• edited February 2022

• @lazyass said:

@Gravitas said:

I'm sure it's possible to mimic Quad LFO to. As I heard you can do anything you want in Drambo) But as @tahiche said about choke groups there shouldn't need to be. Building racks often kills music flow and they don't seem streamlined and usable as stuff as Lissajous and BAtumi. There's a ton of LFO modules but everyone love Batumu because it's plain, effective, deadly simple and complex at the same time.

Okay.
    Cool. 👍🏾

• @symianbeatz
    Is there some specific workflow that you would like to mimic?

@lazyass
    Lissajous LFO looks fun +1
    Like @Gravitas mentioned, one can build something similar already in Drambo, but often we want more fun / less math homework

@aleyas recently mentioned Drum modules (similar to AN Kick) for Snare, Hihat, Tom etc, which would be nice to have as well.

I would definitely like to see a west coast inspired pack ($5-10) complex oscillator + low pass gate

All doable already but hey... Drambo could be accessible to all, not only the scientists :)

Regarding chokes - in a modular environment it’s quite difficult to specify this (sometimes it’s samples, sometimes synthesised drums or mix of the two + other factors) and find a simple solution. Because of that a module or rack has been discussed to address this missing (and indeed important) feature.

Out of curiosity...

Feel free to go nuts...

math formula module where I could put in something like 2 * A + B, or 3 (Sin A) + B. Audulus has this and it's very useful.

FFT stuff so it would be possible to do spectral stuff.

@symianbeatz

@lazyass
    Like @Gravitas mentioned, one can build something similar already in Drambo, but often we want more fun / less math homework

@aleyas recently mentioned Drum modules (similar to AN Kick) for Snare, Hihat, Tom etc, which would be nice to have as well.

I would definitely like to see a west coast inspired pack ($5-10) complex oscillator + low pass gate

All doable already but hey... Drambo could be accessible to all, not only the scientists :)

Regarding chokes - in a modular environment it’s quite difficult to specify this (sometimes it’s samples, sometimes synthesised drums or mix of the two + other factors) and find a simple solution. Because of that a module or rack has been discussed to address this missing (and indeed important) feature.

+1 for a WCO with wavefolder that sounds like Buchla’s…the latter isn’t to be heard on iOS yet.

• @michael_m said:

Out of curiosity...

Have you tried Nest from Sugar Bytes? That kind of MIDI routing in Drambo would be fantastic.

I haven’t tried it, but my initial impression wasn’t great. To me it seemed like a tool to achieve fairly simple things via cool looking but needlessly complicated and slow means.
    But generally I agree, there are a lot of midi related stuff that could be super useful in Drambo. Do you have specifics on what do you miss? :)

• @wim said:

@Lorichs said:

@tahiche said:

True. This convo gave me the idea to have closed and opened hihats on the same pad but triggered by different velocities. Maybe impractical on a midi controller but on the screen lower part of the pad is closed Hh and upper is open. Of course they choke each other.

• @espiegel123 said:

@symianbeatz

@lazyass

+1 for a WCO with wavefolder that sounds like Buchla’s…the latter isn’t to be heard on iOS yet.

When the next big update is released I'll release
    the Tesseract project that I put together last year
    which is basically the Lissajous LFO mentioned earlier.
    It uses eight wavetables as LFO's and a bunch of math modules.
    The Light Synth project uses sixteen wavetables.
    One would need to use either the Lissajous oscilloscope
    in MiRack or another third party app to see the visualisations.

@mistercharlie said:

Do you mean effect like audio processing (f.e reverb, delay etc)? You can p-lock effects and apply all existing step components to the lock only (instead of trig+lock).

@rs2000 said:

@mistercharlie said:

It is:

😍

There goes the rest of the afternoon.

• edited February 2022

Excellent points @ronnieb!
    Indeed, Drambo is made to build your own gear much more than to be a fire-and-forget groovebox.
    It's also quite different from miRack in its connection and polyphony concept, plus its on-board modules are generally more "atomic" but hopefully including most functionality required to build almost anything.
    This naturally comes with more steps involved to achieve the same thing as pre-made apps would offer but that's the point.

Thank you @cian for your suggestions.
    True, a more advanced math module and spectral processors would make a lot of sense. I'll post your specific suggestion
    to the feature wish-list.
    Dedicated spectral processing modules are on the roadmap but not yet planned for the next major release (although the Wavetable Oscillator already gives you a nice preview of spectral processing, albeit restricted to wavetables).

@mistercharlie 😊👍🏼

@tahiche, @lukesleepwalker, @lazyass
    If choke groups are often needed then you'd typically build an instrument rack per choked instrument with multiple samplers so you can switch instruments by just one tap. Done once, used many. Not the typical way to do it but much more convenient if you work with velocity layered drums and, say, a hihat with closed/half open/open versions and changing all these to a different hihat would be just one tap away.
    Once you've prepared that, all you need to do is add that Instrument Rack preset and start composing.
    If you want to extend this to a complete track hosting a complete drum kit then you'd save that as a track preset. Absolutely no need to build it every time.

The compact view of the HiHat rack would look like this, and you'd choose presets by the two white arrows:

@michael_m said:

Out of curiosity...

I haven’t tried it, but my initial impression wasn’t great. To me it seemed like a tool to achieve fairly simple things via cool looking but needlessly complicated and slow means.
    But generally I agree, there are a lot of midi related stuff that could be super useful in Drambo. Do you have specifics on what do you miss? :)

Nothing specific, but I like that i can use it to patch and experiment with MIDI to get some interesting results. I know there are other options, but it’s useful to have all those MIDI functions in one place.

• This isn’t a feature request but when I download some patches from patchstorage, a lot of the graphic shapers and modulators have very detailed curves I couldn’t achieve with just my finger, is that done using a script and could anyone point me in the right direction on how to write that script cos I have no knowledge of how to or where to start looking

• edited February 2022

@Fingolfinzz said:
    This isn’t a feature request but when I download some patches from patchstorage, a lot of the graphic shapers and modulators have very detailed curves I couldn’t achieve with just my finger, is that done using a script and could anyone point me in the right direction on how to write that script cos I have no knowledge of how to or where to start looking

No, Bézier curves are part of upcoming updates loong list of new features... once it’s out you should be able to easily edit them from the editor.

@Fingolfinzz said:
    This isn’t a feature request but when I download some patches from patchstorage, a lot of the graphic shapers and modulators have very detailed curves I couldn’t achieve with just my finger, is that done using a script and could anyone point me in the right direction on how to write that script cos I have no knowledge of how to or where to start looking

No, Bézier curves are part of upcoming updates loong list of new features... once it’s out you should be able to easily edit them from the editor.

Awesome, thank you. That’s funny cos I looked up Bézier curve after reading that and found a script as the first result too haha

Out of curiosity...

Feel free to go nuts...

I’d love a way to map out automation the way Logic and other DAWs do it where you have a line that you can shape across a track length for any given parameter.

Would also love to copy and paste midi files into a track or record midi into a track (if this is already possible my bad, was using Suggester and tried playing chords into the pattern to record it but didn’t work)

• edited February 2022

Yess. Curves is on my wish list
    Also on my wish list
    -Wowel or formant modules
    - trigger button and switch bottun modules that works the same way as the “knobs” module. I would like to be able to add more than one bottum pr module in order to make my setup a bit more compact.
    - A mixer module with pre fader and post fader inserts. Again to keep things compact. ( my own mixer got quite huge)
    - Custom coloring of instrument effect and midi racks. The way the coloring works on the modules makes perfectly sence. But i would really love to be able to color my racks since color codes is an important part if my workflow when jamming.