Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo - this was just posted on Facebook

Comments

• @NeonSilicon said:

@rs2000 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@attakk said:
    [...]
    Cool - I’d be interested to hear how it compares cpu-wise to how you would have expected ports of those AU’s to realistically have performed.

I will do that, but I'm going to wait until I've had time to better learn Drambo and be fairly certain that I'm not doing things that are horribly inefficient.

@rs2000 said:
    [...]
    They will.
    Apart from that, since you're a developer, you can already write any data pairs into XML preset files of Graphic Shaper or Graphic Env. Done this last year and >700 x/y value pairs weren't a problem.

That's good to know. I'll check it out for sure. These particular AU's depend on the end user being able to edit the modulation curves. If you are interested in what they did, here is a link to the old manual: http://neonsilicon.com/Downloads/Docs/F8_Guide.pdf

OK, looking at these waveforms I'd probably not use curves at all. Plus, each waveform can modulate another waveform using a simple modulating amp.

The waveforms in your pdf should be easy to attain using various math modules like my quick hack here:

I've been playing a bit with the math modules. They do allow for doing some of the curves that F8 could do. But, the neat thing about using the Bezier curves is that you can make pretty much any sort of curve shape and having the ability to add multiple segments allows for doing some pretty fun rhythmic stuff. It's also mostly intuitive for end users.

True. What can I say - I bet you won't be disappointed as there's more to it than "just beziers" 😉

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    How would the piano roll work? Would it be a timeline independent from patterns? Or would you save a project with loads of patterns and the piano roll number system still ascends?

No, it's going to be an alternative way of editing patterns. Some prefer step sequencers, some prefer piano rolls. And you're going to be free to program drums on the step sequencer and synth chords on the piano roll if you like.

Is it the same for the new automation lanes vs. p-locks?

• edited November 2021

@NoiseFloored said:

@rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    How would the piano roll work? Would it be a timeline independent from patterns? Or would you save a project with loads of patterns and the piano roll number system still ascends?

No, it's going to be an alternative way of editing patterns. Some prefer step sequencers, some prefer piano rolls. And you're going to be free to program drums on the step sequencer and synth chords on the piano roll if you like.

No, p-locks are step components and they're most likely going to stay independent from automation.
    For now, automation overrides p-locks.

• @rs2000 said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:

No, p-locks are step components and they're most likely going to stay independent from automation.

Got it, thanks!

• @rs2000 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@rs2000 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@attakk said:
    [...]
    Cool - I’d be interested to hear how it compares cpu-wise to how you would have expected ports of those AU’s to realistically have performed.

I will do that, but I'm going to wait until I've had time to better learn Drambo and be fairly certain that I'm not doing things that are horribly inefficient.

@rs2000 said:
    [...]
    They will.
    Apart from that, since you're a developer, you can already write any data pairs into XML preset files of Graphic Shaper or Graphic Env. Done this last year and >700 x/y value pairs weren't a problem.

That's good to know. I'll check it out for sure. These particular AU's depend on the end user being able to edit the modulation curves. If you are interested in what they did, here is a link to the old manual: http://neonsilicon.com/Downloads/Docs/F8_Guide.pdf

OK, looking at these waveforms I'd probably not use curves at all. Plus, each waveform can modulate another waveform using a simple modulating amp.

The waveforms in your pdf should be easy to attain using various math modules like my quick hack here:

I've been playing a bit with the math modules. They do allow for doing some of the curves that F8 could do. But, the neat thing about using the Bezier curves is that you can make pretty much any sort of curve shape and having the ability to add multiple segments allows for doing some pretty fun rhythmic stuff. It's also mostly intuitive for end users.

True. What can I say - I bet you won't be disappointed as there's more to it than "just beziers" 😉

Sounds intriguing for sure. I take it that you are involved in the beta. I'm not asking for verification or anything, but I'm just putting it out there that as long as there is some way to beat sync these new curves, it's going to be very useful to me.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Excellent new, wow! More reasons to talk about Drambo!

I take this post to ask a stupid question because I'm often asking myself a lot of stupid questions: is there a difference between let 's say, a saw wave on synth A and a saw wave on synth B?

Do oscillator always sounds the same? To my ears, yes, but I'm just a noob so, who know's.

When we talk about virtual analog synth, is this because the oscillator sounds more "analog"?

Thanks.

Yesterday I sat down with Drambo to create a rich sounding poly synth and I thought of iSem as reference since I love how full and analog it sounds. After under an hour of tweaking and adding little modulation here and there to liven up and destabilise the sound a bit mainly using noise as a modulation source.

Once done I downloaded ISem from the AppStore and played it to compare with my patch.

Result?

Holy shit! Drambo sounded way fuller and richer!

I know, iSem isn’t perhaps the best synth to aspire too but I have no doubt Drambo is capable or massive sounds and as unique as you want them to be.

BTW another well requested feature is just around the corner, right after piano roll and automation.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@rs2000 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@rs2000 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@attakk said:
    [...]

@rs2000 said:
    [...]
    They will.

Sounds intriguing for sure. I take it that you are involved in the beta. I'm not asking for verification or anything, but I'm just putting it out there that as long as there is some way to beat sync these new curves, it's going to be very useful to me.

Yes you can. I believe most if not all modulators are synceable and graphic modulation shapes snap to grid if you want them to.

• Trying to recreate synths that I have already just for fun has become a common pastime these days. It really helps to better understand the original apps and leads to some great surprises.

• @wim said:
    Trying to recreate synths that I have already just for fun has become a common pastime these days. It really helps to better understand the original apps and leads to some great surprises.

Yes exactly! Not just for apps, but for hardware synths! Using flowcharts and block diagrams, reading about specific filters and envelope behaviors and attempting to emulate in Drambo taught me so much! And I find it a fun and entertaining past time.

• This new automation system is EXACTLY what I've been hoping for in Drambo for producing Drone works! And it's spline based? I haven't been this excited for an app since I first clicked with Drambo a few months back. (And I can't believe this will be on my iPhone!)

• edited November 2021

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    This new automation system is EXACTLY what I've been hoping for in Drambo for producing Drone works! And it's spline based? I haven't been this excited for an app since I first clicked with Drambo a few months back. (And I can't believe this will be on my iPhone!)

Coming from Gadget (like me), you'll love the piano roll too.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@cokomairena said:

@attakk said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    IAP or free update?

IAP hopefully. No way should we expect a dev work for us for free when we are using devices that cost us in the £1000 ballpark.

cries in cheapest 32gb ipad. But I agree on the IAP, I just don't like the future proof of it.

I don't understand, the future proof of IAP? That's the only way Drambo is going to be future-proof. Especially in a niche market, the only way IOS development is going to be sustainable is through an IAP treadmill or a subscription model.

I mean what happen in 6 years if the support for IAP is dropped/changed from Apples part, I mean there is not much we can do, basically Apple owns the software we buy.

• @rs2000 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    This new automation system is EXACTLY what I've been hoping for in Drambo for producing Drone works! And it's spline based? I haven't been this excited for an app since I first clicked with Drambo a few months back. (And I can't believe this will be on my iPhone!)

Coming from Gadget (like me), you'll love the piano roll too.

Ooooo, now I'm even more intrigued. ;)

• @aleyas said:

Man, just when I was beginning to get my act together and really learn Bitwig. This Drambo update is going to be monumental, and will likely command all my be free time haha.

The single feature that would make the biggest difference for how I use Drambo would be multi I/O racks. But from the looks of this update, it will still be nothing less than game changing!

Noticed the Probability switch on the Seq, hope Reset and Skip.. would make it.. Seems MidiStep developer forgot about his great app..

• @RajahP said:

@aleyas said:

Man, just when I was beginning to get my act together and really learn Bitwig. This Drambo update is going to be monumental, and will likely command all my be free time haha.

The single feature that would make the biggest difference for how I use Drambo would be multi I/O racks. But from the looks of this update, it will still be nothing less than game changing!

Noticed the Probability switch on the Seq, hope Reset and Skip.. would make it.. Seems MidiStep developer forgot about his great app..

These are all doable in the App Store version - check step components.
    Probability is called Random condition
    Reset and skip can be achieved with Jump condition.
    In the next update certain step components - the most often used ones - will become faster to work with, via dedicated editors.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@RajahP said:

@aleyas said:

In the next update certain step components - the most often used ones - will become faster to work with, via dedicated editors.

Thanks… is there a video showcasing these?

@RajahP said:

@aleyas said:

“Faster” is a key factor here. Simple velocity editing for drum hits is very slow using the step editor. Same goes for probability. Seems like a superb update.

• @RajahP said:
    Thanks… is there a video showcasing these?

Sorry, not too familiar with existing tutorials and couldn’t find anything on a quick search now. There is a section in the manual (outdated but still applies) describing step components. Simple concept, but fairly geeky to work with, which is why these new editors are on the way... to bring users closer; easier, faster editing; not as deep or flexible as the existing component editor (which is still available for geeks), but covers frequently used features in a user friendly way.

@tahiche said:
    “Faster” is a key factor here. Simple velocity editing for drum hits is very slow using the step editor. Same goes for probability. Seems like a superb update.

Yes, since AUv3 hosting and multichannel interface support it makes sense to break away from (Elektron inspired) groovebox approach, towards a DAWlike approach...
    not an easy transition :)
    too many ideas, only one giku, only 24hs in a day...

@tahiche said:

Yes, since AUv3 hosting and multichannel interface support it makes sense to break away from (Elektron inspired) groovebox approach, towards a DAWlike approach...
    not an easy transition :)
    too many ideas, only one giku, only 24hs in a day...

I have a Digitakt, and I’d say in the case of “speed” it’s not so much about Elektron workflow but having the dedicated hardware controller. It’s fast to do velocity changes per step (parameter locks) on the Digitakt because you can just press a pad and move a knob. It’s instantaneous, whereas on Drambo you need to go onto step edit screen, hangs param, back out, back in…. I actually requested a while back that velocity could be set in Drambo by swiping on a step. But the new editors are way better for an iPad.

• edited November 2021

This looks great.

Looking forward to it.

I’d love to see some more advanced options for arranging patterns at some point. Something like FL studio (not mobile) playlist for example.

• @tahiche said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

@RajahP said:

@aleyas said:

Great.. Messed with it a little earlier.. thanks for the heads up..

• edited November 2021

The split screen ‘dots’ seems to make Drambo impossible to work with in Host mode… Is there a way to disable the split screen option? Thanks…

edit.. on IPadOS 15

• @RajahP said:
    The split screen ‘dots’ seems to make Drambo impossible to work with in Host mode… Is there a way to disable the split screen option? Thanks…

edit.. on IPadOS 15

I haven’t updated my ipad to ios 15 because of the splitscreen dots’s interference with Drambo.
    I hope that it will be solved at some point.
    Preferably Apple will admit that Drambo is perfect and get the dots out of Drambos way i IOS 15.2 😜

• edited November 2021

@RajahP said:

edit.. on IPadOS 15

That 'thing' is already fixed in the current betas.

• Thought the sequencer were just a gate effect for audio lol.

Its a revamp.

• @samu. That is great news. Thanks 😎

• edited November 2021

@Lorichs said:

@RajahP said:

edit.. on IPadOS 15

I haven’t updated my ipad to ios 15 because of the splitscreen dots’s interference with Drambo.
    I hope that it will be solved at some point.
    Preferably Apple will admit that Drambo is perfect and get the dots out of Drambos way i IOS 15.2 😜

I think it is an issue for other apps also..

@Samu said:

@RajahP said:

edit.. on IPadOS 15

Thanks. Yep, it's a PITA... to work with right now.

• @RajahP said:

Thanks. Yep, it's a PITA... to work with right now.

(yeah, there's a tape icon there for recording tracks to audio...).

• And it will most likely continue to be... Apple is unlikely to change course... and that area is often holds buttons that we just tap willy-nilly... now we’ll have to aim :D