Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Staffpad Sketches

Comments

• @Paulieworld said:
    This is really good. It sounds like an opening theme for spooky comedy movie. Atta boy, Luther!
    These must be live drums. If not, can you tell me how you did it?

Those drums are 2 instances of Funk Drummer using a deep acoustic kit and a trebly Electronic Kit. I exported as audio and imported into 2 Staffpad audio tracks.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2023

It’s been a while…

FYI: A StaffPad Update Youtube video has been posted… but the update is still not out. The new features however are demo’ed:

Piano Audio Capture to Notes
    MIDI input capture to Notes
    A Video (import) timeline
    Free MuseScore 4 Libraries (50 instruments)

• Yes, it’s been a while. Where you been? Hope everything is okay.

I loved this. Atta boy, McD!

• “A Sailor’s Lament”

• @Paulieworld said:
    Yes, it’s been a while. Where you been? Hope everything is okay.

I loved this. Atta boy, McD!

Thanks Paul. I’m getting excited anticipating the Audio and MIDI conversion to notation in the pending update.
    Writing for video should also be interesting. Hopefully, general midi processing is also improved in the update.

• 100% Natural Essences… “Skunk Oil”

• A suspense theme…

• A perfect theme for this update. When will it drop? Any inside knowledge @McD ?

• @mjcouche said:
    A perfect theme for this update. When will it drop? Any inside knowledge @McD ?

No. I just keep checking to see if they shipped the new version. When I stop checking… it will appear.
    I hope they nail the MIDI to notation and there’s a simple way to route midi in: probably using 2 devices.
    The MIDI File import is currently unreliable for large creations and then it needs cut and paste between projects
    as a work around and that’s also a crash festival.

So, I’m hoping MIDI realtime to notation is solid. It’s a challenging programming task. They took on a big assignment with
    audio and midi to notation.

But just like them testing the apple pencil and only supporting it. They are only going to support “piano” as an audio source but I’m expecting some other devices to also work if they have a solid percussive transient. Guitars might pass that test but maybe not.

The video input to score to film is something I didn’t see coming. It will be a challenge to write something that works. I’m not sure if they replace the videos audio with the new score or provide a mixed audio track.

• @McD said:
    “A Sailor’s Lament”

This is a good one for sure. I have the sea in my blood (as a local expression from my home town goes), so it’s good to hear something that evokes being on the ocean. Some lovely themes in this.

• @michael_m said:

@McD said:
    “A Sailor’s Lament”

This is a good one for sure. I have the sea in my blood (as a local expression from my home town goes), so it’s good to hear something that evokes being on the ocean. Some lovely themes in this.

Thanks… I’m glad you found the end of the thread. I make them typically without intention and then title to fit the images that are conjured up.

• I tried a new workflow. I created a backing track in Staffpad… then passed the rendered audio to AUM and played a GeoShred GeoOboe solo in AUM. I need to get better at GeoShred but I can see that the solo has more character that a notated oboe solo in Staffpad.

• Just dropping in and see you’ve been busy again… I enjoyed A Sailors Lament. It reminded me of Benjamin Brittens Sea Interludes which I guess is appropriate 🌊
    Skunk Oil (hints of West Side story?) and Midnight Mission were pretty darned good as well !
    Sunset wasn’t too shabby for a beginner 😊

• @McD said:
    A suspense theme…

I especially like this one. Great melody. The staccato bass lines with the legato strings are a nice contrast. It’s usually the other way around. I’m sure I’ve asked you this before, but would you ever consider taking several of your sketches and combining them into a larger composition? I would love to hear that. You could put them on separate sequential tracks in Cubasis, with a slight overlap between them, fading one out and fading in the next. I would be happy to assist if you ever feel so inclined. I still listen to Tribes from time to time, and it still sounds good.

• @Paulieworld said:

@McD said:
    A suspense theme…

I especially like this one. Great melody. The staccato bass lines with the legato strings are a nice contrast. It’s usually the other way around. I’m sure I’ve asked you this before, but would you ever consider taking several of your sketches and combining them into a larger composition? I would love to hear that. You could put them on separate sequential tracks in Cubasis, with a slight overlap between them, fading one out and fading in the next. I would be happy to assist if you ever feel so inclined. I still listen to Tribes from time to time, and it still sounds good.

I could certainly try to connect some pieces. Your idea seems easy to implement… or triggering file players in AUM maybe.

• Why don’t you send me a few, 8 or 10, or so, and let me play with them. I think it could be “killer”. BTW, I got that expression from Joe Zawinul the night I met him. I just listened to Tribes (slight return) again. It’s killer. Let’s do another.

• Practicing Seques between different themes

• @McD said:
    Practicing Seques between different themes

Epic cinematic work, @McD ! Love the orchestration and the slow-down section. It sounds excellent. So, with StaffPad so you have to notate the music first so it plays the instruments or can you use a mini controller to play and record the instruments from which you can then generate notation - or both?

• @McD said:

That sounds like VanZandt. A good thing.

• @LinearLineman said:

@McD said:

That sounds like VanZandt. A good thing.

That’s what I was going for… For anyone following StaffPad posts, Scott Van Zandt was a regular here that created Cinematic music on IOS while riding the bus. He got my attention. when he was using NanoStudio 2 with custom orchestral samples.
    Later he started posting work in Staffpad using the extra optional libraries that just change everything for me. Here’s an example of his work:

You will hear things I borrowed like the Tubular Bell accent I used for my ending. His SoundCloud has more work:

• I stepped away from Staffpad for this sketch and finally made something in Cubasis 3.

• @McD said:
    I stepped away from Staffpad for this sketch and finally made something in Cubasis 3.

Loving this one. Could be in a Sherlock Holmes movie. Is it accordion or bandoneon ? very welcome here.
    It is way too short ! I'd like to hear a section where the melody is played by a Zither or a Cymbalom to give it some extra bite.

• Love it! Great composition. I like the use of the accordion. Completely unexpected. I have a soft spot in my heart for accordions.

• @JanKun said:

@McD said:
    I stepped away from Staffpad for this sketch and finally made something in Cubasis 3.

Loving this one. Could be in a Sherlock Holmes movie. Is it accordion or bandoneon ? very welcome here.
    It is way too short ! I'd like to hear a section where the melody is played by a Zither or a Cymbalom to give it some extra bite.

Accordion. When you have to choose an AUv3 in Cubasis 3 you get this box with a list that you must finger scroll through and after multiple trips to reach Xinematix and PianoTeq I decided to just go with Accordion for the melody in the B section.

As it turned out I liked the instrument (if not my performance with the bad notes). I figured I could switch to a SWAM instrument later.

Now I will probably export the MIDI and audio stems over into Staffpad and keep adding more sections and details.

• @McD said:

@JanKun said:

@McD said:

Accordion. When you have to choose an AUv3 in Cubasis 3 you get this box with a list that you must finger scroll through and after multiple trips to reach Xinematix and PianoTeq I decided to just go with Accordion for the melody in the B section.

As it turned out I liked the instrument (if not my performance with the bad notes). I figured I could switch to a SWAM instrument later.

Now I will probably export the MIDI and audio stems over into Staffpad and keep adding more sections and details.

Can't wait to hear where you're going to take us with this one !

• @JanKun said:

@McD said:

@JanKun said:

@McD said:

Can't wait to hear where you're going to take us with this one !

Does your dance card have any empty slots. I can send you the MIDI and audio stems if you’d like to build something larger as a collaboration. I haven’t heard much staffpad from you lately but I know you cover a huge amount of musical territory in your progress to master many genres.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2023

NO PENCIL STAFFPAD!!!

I made the MIDI in Cubasis 3 with AUv3 apps for sound rendering.
    I did a MIDI Mixdown in Cubasis 3 and imported the resulting MIDI file into Staffpad.

I assigned Staffpad instruments to the 10 parts and it played. I liked some of the Cubasis 3 instruments so I imported
    the audio mixdown stems of the Ocarina and Accordion.

And this is what I got. No pencil editing required… just finger touches to assign part and do some required cut and pastes.

And I kicked the BPM up to 120 before Mixdown in Cubasis… mostly to use the default BPM in Staffpad for the audio importing.

• I like the first one.

• @Paulieworld said:
    I like the first one.

I aim to please… and then I lower the lid and flush,

This is a mix of the AUv3 Instruments for the melodic and bass parts and StaffPad stings, plucked and pianos.
    I also dropped the BPM back to 80 for comparison purposes.