Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noise ambient for a rainy day (mastering in AUM?)

dvidvi
edited October 2021 in Creations

First track with new rig. I made a short loop in the digitakt and “resampled” it by recording it into a dictaphone, then back into the digitakt along with various glitchy noises from rewind functions, mechanism, etc. which I used to make the rest of the percussion and background sounds. Pads from the microfreak (through ODC x2 for grain shimmer + FAC Alteza) and my first run with OB-Xd (amazing!). NTS-1 on bass with Rise reverb. Recorded live in AUM.

Now the question. The first recording I made in AUM definitely required some mastering/meddling with. I didn’t feel like moving into my desktop to edit in a DAW, so I loaded back the recording in AUM’s file player and ran it through a chain using RoughRider and various parametric EQ points and limiter from AUM to get a more even mix and fuller sound.

Doing it this way instead of visualizing the whole thing in the DAW makes it feel a little like mixing tape in an analogue mixer (you really have to listen to everything instead of just looking at the wave), but I certainly don’t have all the chops nor the apps for that.

What tools are useful for mixing a track in this case and still do it in AUM? I’m thinking an audio player that has more control of the playhead than the file player will be good, ideally something that allows for easy A/B comparison, reference tracks, etc. Would love to hear about similar workflows.

Comments

• Really nice atmosphere!

As for mastering, I'm no expert but I use a similar system for 2-track masters in AUM. Fabfilter Pro-Q3 and L2.
    If they're stems, I may add C2 on individual tracks and MB on sub-mixes.

I used to use Ozone Elements on the desktop, and Positive Grid Final Touch on the iPad, but I find the Fabfilter plugins in AUM to have a bit more control and better metering, as well as sounding a bit more transparent.

Nice thing about Pro-Q3 is that it has EQ Match, so you can see what your other tracks are doing, in case there are frequency conflicts. I also set up multiple tracks with Q3 for A/B comparison, reference tracks, and 'Metering Only' presets in L2 to check the levels. It has an accurate LUFS integrated mode.

• Thanks @ocelot! This is a good motivation for me to take the dive into using more professional tools. The digitakt deserves it!

As for an audio editor where you can see the wave and scroll, what are the alternatives to Neon?

• Multitrack recorder? Timeline and some editing.

Neon for editing and recording from threshold or aum start.

Koala for recording from pads but playback of audio streams from pads.

Drambo for recording. Some arrangement or triggering from elsewhere but sliced with probabilty and effects.

Iv only just gone through apps to see how they might work.

Think mtr would be best as a replacement aum arranger.

• Anyone know the point of neon. If you got mtr and koala? I guess just not having to save and import audio from audioshare? I guess good for longer sounds/synth sounds that arnt midi. That you are already working with in mtr. Where as koala is better for finger drumming. Manual variations of samples. Drambo best for sequenced sample mangling.

• @dvi said:
    Thanks @ocelot! This is a good motivation for me to take the dive into using more professional tools. The digitakt deserves it!

As for an audio editor where you can see the wave and scroll, what are the alternatives to Neon?

Auditor by Living Memory is powerful. Here's Auditor's manual.

Beatmaker 3's sample editor is useful too. I don't have Neon (does it only record at 16-bit?).

• edited October 2021

May as well just add a koala. Neon. Drambo. Mtr.

• @sigma79 said:
    Anyone know the point of neon. If you got mtr and koala? I guess just not having to save and import audio from audioshare? I guess good for longer sounds/synth sounds that arnt midi. That you are already working with in mtr. Where as koala is better for finger drumming. Manual variations of samples. Drambo best for sequenced sample mangling.

Big fan of drambo and koala of course but not for what I have in mind (laying down finished tracks for mastering with utilities in AUM.) Actually koala could work, although it feels funny to use it for that!

I’m also kind of confused between mtr and neon—the latter wants to be a clip launcher and the first an arranger? For what I’m thinking mtr would be a better option.

Auditor seems like it might fit the bill too—I’ll investigate. Strange that the App Store write up does not mention that/if it works as audio unit.

• @dvi said:.

Auditor seems like it might fit the bill too—I’ll investigate. Strange that the App Store write up does not mention that/if it works as audio unit.

Very nice track.

The Auditor AU is a simple file player (see screenshot). It has very little in common with the stand alone which is very powerful, particularly if you need batch processing.

• edited November 2021

@dvi said:

@sigma79 said:
    Anyone know the point of neon. If you got mtr and koala? I guess just not having to save and import audio from audioshare? I guess good for longer sounds/synth sounds that arnt midi. That you are already working with in mtr. Where as koala is better for finger drumming. Manual variations of samples. Drambo best for sequenced sample mangling.

Big fan of drambo and koala of course but not for what I have in mind (laying down finished tracks for mastering with utilities in AUM.) Actually koala could work, although it feels funny to use it for that!

I’m also kind of confused between mtr and neon—the latter wants to be a clip launcher and the first an arranger? For what I’m thinking mtr would be a better option.

Seems like people are saying Auditor is the best editor. Mtr can work as a timeline/move tracks anywhere in timeline. Neon would work so you dont have to press record from ios. Just send from digitakt and can then transfer to mtr within aum/app to app. Neon clips would be exact copies of mtr timeline and digitakt. Without exiting aum or using split screen apps.

• @sigma79, I found this thread doing a websearch trying to figure out the difference in Neon and MultiTrackRecorder apps - and of course Auditor. Trying to decide which, if any of these, I need during the BF sales. Looking to be able to do simple audio track recording (w/o using a huge DAW like Cubasis) and using AUM seemed decent but it sounds like it would help to have one of these apps for easier workflow. I found I actually picked up Auditor on a sale awhile back but haven't yet had the time to dive into it. Have you had any luck on decoding the differences in these apps and which are most useful and why? Neon seems to be newer that MTR but I can't tell if it duplicates/updates it features or if it's different.

Any info you could share would be amazing! Thanks so much!

• @lifereinspired said:
    @sigma79, I found this thread doing a websearch trying to figure out the difference in Neon and MultiTrackRecorder apps - and of course Auditor. Trying to decide which, if any of these, I need during the BF sales. Looking to be able to do simple audio track recording (w/o using a huge DAW like Cubasis) and using AUM seemed decent but it sounds like it would help to have one of these apps for easier workflow. I found I actually picked up Auditor on a sale awhile back but haven't yet had the time to dive into it. Have you had any luck on decoding the differences in these apps and which are most useful and why? Neon seems to be newer that MTR but I can't tell if it duplicates/updates it features or if it's different.

Any info you could share would be amazing! Thanks so much!

Not sure mate. MTR is a timeline. Figure you could just record through mtr so you dont record effects like reverb or record reverb if you need. Neon might be cool to record and slice audio from threshold yet also host sync. Maybe can then transfer MTR stuff to Neon also just copying and pasting ( app audio pools ) within aum. Then slicing the audio of something already in MTR timeline. Then inserting at another point in MTR timeline. Dont think Neon can be a moveable timeline and MTR is rustic audio editing. Auditor should let you record from Mtr in as an Aum effect? You would just need to import back to MTR.

Haven really thought much about apps but think it might be a/the way. From checking apps abilities.