Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mobile Music Roundtable #1 - State of Mobile Music Production, Should App Prices Increase

We're so proud to introduce the very 1st episode of our new brand new podcast called The Mobile Music Roundtable. We'll be featuring new panelists each month discussing topics important to the iOS music production community. Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• edited October 2021

Loved it although it made me feel a bit pessimistic about the future of iOS .

• I think that for the most part people are correctly stating that we're simply in the phase before the next phase. The trajectory is clear where the industry is headed, it's simply a matter of time.

• What many of us (including myself) sometimes seem to forget is that vast the majority 'Music Apps' are crated by a single person and are sometimes more of a 'part-time hobby project' fueled by the passion to create.

What makes matters worse is the 'marketing lingo' when a homepage/app-description states 'we create blah blah blah' it gives the impression that the company is bigger than what it really is, in some cases there's a small staff introduction with specified roles and that does make it a bit easier to set the expectation level somewhat realistically.
    (You can't realistically expect 24/7 support for an app with instant reply across all time-zones).

Even the 'bigger' companies may have just a small team (5-10 persons) partially dedicated to iOS/iPadOS and still have to answer to those who are backing the project financially...

But yeah, it's been kinda slow year but I know at least a few of our beloved apps are still being worked on and I can only say they are worth the wait...

@MobileMusicPro It was a nice show, looking forward to the next episode :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• Short answer: NO.

Longer answer: App prices shouldn't go up, but developers should get a much larger share of the profits. I'm against the idea of things increasing in price simply because they "can". If you're getting into the iOS music app-making game, then you kinda know what you're in for. But like I said, the devs should be getting the majority if not all of the profits from the sales, and Apple should take nothing, frankly. They're an ENORMOUS company and are not wanting for profits, so they can afford to take a back seat to these devs that work their @$$e$ off for a passion project.

This is a grossly simplified view of course because nothing is ever so simple, but it reflects my basic opinion.

Keep making these vids, @MobileMusicPro !

• edited October 2021

The topic with the seamless integration between iPad and desktop really made me think. It‘s true that Apple is doing a lot for this. Just look at how you can have a seamless workflow between an iPad and a MacBook with iPadOS 15 and MacOS Monterey. But how this could be achieved for music projects? Plugins are different for different platforms. Maybe better integrate the whole audio rendering across devices? Kind of a Studiomux baked into iOS and MacOS. Network transparent AUv3. X Window for audio 🤔

• @MobileMusicPro said:
    I think that for the most part people are correctly stating that we're simply in the phase before the next phase. The trajectory is clear where the industry is headed, it's simply a matter of time.

Perhaps you’re right . Thanks for correcting… Males sense, actually

• @Samu said:
    What many of us (including myself) sometimes seem to forget is that vast the majority 'Music Apps' are crated by a single person and are sometimes more of a 'part-time hobby project' fueled by the passion to create.

What makes matters worse is the 'marketing lingo' when a homepage/app-description states 'we create blah blah blah' it gives the impression that the company is bigger than what it really is, in some cases there's a small staff introduction with specified roles and that does make it a bit easier to set the expectation level somewhat realistically.
    (You can't realistically expect 24/7 support for an app with instant reply across all time-zones).

Even the 'bigger' companies may have just a small team (5-10 persons) partially dedicated to iOS/iPadOS and still have to answer to those who are backing the project financially...

But yeah, it's been kinda slow year but I know at least a few of our beloved apps are still being worked on and I can only say they are worth the wait...

@MobileMusicPro It was a nice show, looking forward to the next episode :sunglasses:

Cheers!

I'm looking forward to watching this, sounds interesting Vortex. I will also back Samu in saying that it is a pet hate of mine when a one man operation refers to themselves as 'we' 🤣

• To me the most depressing takeaway is that apparently power users want to turn iPad into a desktop replacement. (Better mouse support, desktop software ports etc), when touch interface is (or imo should be) the main advantage. This reminds me of change for the sake of change. Like removing ports that don’t necessarily have to be removed. I mean in terms of portability latest laptops are not such a big difference compared to iPads. Everything you’re waiting for is already there… hardware support / software packages, so what’s the point?
    Not a single mention…

• @Gavinski said:

@Samu said:
    What many of us (including myself) sometimes seem to forget is that vast the majority 'Music Apps' are crated by a single person and are sometimes more of a 'part-time hobby project' fueled by the passion to create.

Cheers!

I'm looking forward to watching this, sounds interesting Vortex. I will also back Samu in saying that it is a pet hate of mine when a one man operation refers to themselves as 'we' 🤣

It all depends on the context of the 'we' and the operation you're referring to. If you're referring to MMP then my response would be that MMP is not a 1 man operation as it's made up of my myself, my wife and blind from braille audio not to mention the many people we hire from time to time for sound design. Either way if something as trivial as this can become a 'pet hate' then it's time to reexamine how you view your fellow humans.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    To me the most depressing takeaway is that apparently power users want to turn iPad into a desktop replacement. (Better mouse support, desktop software ports etc), when touch interface is (or imo should be) the main advantage. This reminds me of change for the sake of change. Like removing ports that don’t necessarily have to be removed. I mean in terms of portability latest laptops are not such a big difference compared to iPads. Everything you’re waiting for is already there… hardware support / software packages, so what’s the point?
    Not a single mention…

I don't think anyone wants to turn ipad into a desktop replacement, I even explicitly stated this in the video, we simply want the OPTION to utilize proven desktop capabilities in a mobile form factor.

• @Gavinski said:

I will also back Samu in saying that it is a pet hate of mine when a one man operation refers to themselves as 'we' 🤣

Agreed.

• @musikeer said:

@Gavinski said:

I will also back Samu in saying that it is a pet hate of mine when a one man operation refers to themselves as 'we' 🤣

Agreed.

Good thing MMP is not a 1 man operation.

• If you are speaking for a corporation, then we is correct. If you are speaking for yourself within that company, then I would be correct. The size of the company doesn't matter.

I'd guess that most one person shops want to grow. I'd future proof my docs and statements to we in that case too.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    If you are speaking for a corporation, then we is correct. If you are speaking for yourself within that company, then I would be correct. The size of the company doesn't matter.

I'd guess that most one person shops want to grow. I'd future proof my docs and statements to we in that case too.

Yep I for sure want to make MMP a corporation in the future, for now it's just an LLC.

• @MobileMusicPro said:

@musikeer said:

@Gavinski said:

Agreed.

Good thing MMP is not a 1 man operation.

No man is an island…

• @MobileMusicPro said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    If you are speaking for a corporation, then we is correct. If you are speaking for yourself within that company, then I would be correct. The size of the company doesn't matter.

Yep I for sure want to make MMP a corporation in the future, for now it's just an LLC.

Even with an LLC set up as a sole proprietorship it's still a company and the use of we to represent the company is correct. Mine's an LLC too, but it's setup as a partnership. There's no way I'm going to write anything from the company as I.

• @MobileMusicPro said:

@Gavinski said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

It all depends on the context of the 'we' and the operation you're referring to. If you're referring to MMP then my response would be that MMP is not a 1 man operation as it's made up of my myself, my wife and blind from braille audio not to mention the many people we hire from time to time for sound design. Either way if something as trivial as this can become a 'pet hate' then it's time to reexamine how you view your fellow humans.

@MobileMusic : XaCT 💯😉👍

• @MobileMusicPro said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    To me the most depressing takeaway is that apparently power users want to turn iPad into a desktop replacement. (Better mouse support, desktop software ports etc), when touch interface is (or imo should be) the main advantage. This reminds me of change for the sake of change. Like removing ports that don’t necessarily have to be removed. I mean in terms of portability latest laptops are not such a big difference compared to iPads. Everything you’re waiting for is already there… hardware support / software packages, so what’s the point?
    Not a single mention…

I don't think anyone wants to turn ipad into a desktop replacement, I even explicitly stated this in the video, we simply want the OPTION to utilize proven desktop capabilities in a mobile form factor.

@MobileMusic : XaCT!👍😉💯

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Not a single mention…

I don’t consider Apple giving us keyboard and mouse/trackpad support, Cubasis adding keyboard shortcuts, Fabfilter porting their incredible desktop plugins to iOS, Mixbox coming from desktop to iOS, SWAM bringing over their INCREDIBLE library from desktop to iOS, or desktop class integration of hardware in the iOS ecosystem, such as what Atom has done with the Launchpad lineup ‘depressing.’ Desktop has a lot of things it gets right, that also can and do work great on iOS, so why should we deliberately stray away from those great things? We don’t need to reinvent the wheel to make a better vehicle.

‘Power users’ want the power to get their workflow wishes accomplished in an efficient way. For instance, A spacebar shortcut to make the track ‘play/stop’ and a shortcut to ‘record’ is a desktop norm, and iOS DAW’s are all the better with this tiny but powerful feature, especially with QWERTY bluetooth keyboards being so cheap, and QWERTY keyboard cases with trackpads being a norm. Little features like this are a godsend for tracking or mixing for long periods.

No one’s implying that they should strip iOS of it’s touchscreen fluidity, BUT, there are times when doing what’s worked on a desktop is the best way to go. Trackpad/Mouse support is one of them when working through a large recording project. Notes has this, Safari has this, Lumafusion has this, iOS DAWs should join the ‘movement’, pun intended, especially if they have keyboard shortcuts.

No one wants change for changes sake, we want improvements and evolution to continue. But we’d like to go backwards on one thing, Please put back the headphone jack 🎧 🙏 😂 .

iOS is incredible because it really lets you work your way. If avoiding the QWERTY keyboard and mouse/trackpads is your thing and you love to interact with the touchscreen, you have that option. If you want to go minimalist with no interface and no midi controller, no problem. If you do want those things however, you can go as ‘pro’ as your heart and wallet desires! You can build a studio room around an iPad, literally, or use it as your beach chair music oasis. Your ‘Pad Your way!

And something about a laptop just isn’t as portable or workable outside as an iPad to me, for music, even when they’re the same size. However, to each their own..

• Do you guys know about all the new "pronouns"... we for a corporation of even 1 person is fine for me
    because the intent of all corporations is to grow and growth requires adding staff. It's a signal that
    the effort is not intended to be a gift but an investment hoping for an ROI.

I haven't watched the video yet but pronouns are a pet peeve of mine since they can be applied to objects and lead to a million cases of misunderstanding: "The phone, camera and wallet are on the desk.
    Please bring it when you leave." Typically there's extra context but you still have to make a leap to bring the right "it".

• @McD said:
    Do you guys know about all the new "pronouns"... we for a corporation of even 1 person is fine for me
    because the intent of all corporations is to grow and growth requires adding staff. It's a signal that

I haven't watched the video yet but pronouns are a pet peeve of mine since they can be applied to objects and lead to a million cases of misunderstanding: "The phone, camera and wallet are on the desk.
    Please bring it when you leave." Typically there's extra context but you still have to make a leap to bring the right "it".

I would bring the desk…

• @anickt said:

@McD said:
    Do you guys know about all the new "pronouns"... we for a corporation of even 1 person is fine for me

I would bring the desk…

So, "them". I'd be accused of not following "perfectly clear" instructions. Pronouns... they save very little
    time and create a lot of waste.

My pronouns should be "it/it's" I can see a downside to that too. Finding an its bathroom could be tricky and old age makes me need to go when it's go time. I used the woman's bathroom at a fast food joint once by accident since I regularly used one and the remote locate swapped the Mens and Womens.

I was in the stall and saw some high heels outside... waiting. Cringe. Not a good memory. Would the "its"
    have a urinal? Remember those multi-user urinals from the 60's? Ladies?

• I may be old fashioned but I believe app prices should only go up or down based on market demand assessment of their respective developers and not because of what mobile music gurus may think.

• @Andre_K said:
    I may be old fashioned but I believe app prices should only go up or down based on market demand assessment of their respective developers and not because of what mobile music gurus may think.

Gurus must pontificate... that's how they provide their opinions. The decision to participate is up to the viewer. Gurus must also have a thick skin because everyone is a critic. Do you resent this guys effort to make a living from his passion. He's not being you to listen to his music and that's often a benefit.

Markets also have "norms" that drive the decision process. I operated with a $10 rule and bought dozens of apps that I never use. I get a ton of value from Drambo, AudioLayer, AUM which all break my $10 rule. IAP's tend to turn into a payment plan for $100+ apps... the most expense single "Purchase"
    buttons I've hit were for B3-X which is an amazing organ that's just slightly better than the $20 ones.
    I want to see more apps like it with desktop quality and attention to details. The FabFilter bundle costs more but I picked them up as individual purchases.

If a "team of engineers" make a comparable desktop product I'll probably grumble but step up to get
    something that "just works" and gets solid support and updates.

I should listen to this video and hear the case. A pundit will tend to support views that expand the
    total market share and in that sense we are competing with the more expensive platforms for
    development hours.

NOTE: I am not a guru, I just play one on ABF and it really pisses some people off. It's a living.

• @ipadbeatmaking : That was excellent .. Personally I’m looking forward to my new iPad Pro w Logitech Combo touch and working that trackpad in Cubasis. Really enjoyed your comment there ..

• @anickt said:

@McD said:

I would bring the desk…

👌

• edited October 2021

I Believe that Mobile Music was referring to one of the videos that Jacob Haq did with the Impaktor app by Beepstreet.
    You can"t expect Jacob o remember all of his videos, have been watch he and Doug Woods from 2013 till present.

• @McD said:
    NOTE: I am not a guru, I just play one on ABF and it really pisses some people off. It's a living.

opens spreadsheet

M... em... Ma.... McA...McC....Ah!

McD: ABF forum guru (self-proclaimed).

• edited October 2021

Excellent discussion. Hosting was cool, quite balanced. Hosts were a good mix. Liked the points they had to make, didn't agree with them all but then that's what should happen. Thanks very much for this, looking forward to the next.