Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Should we be giving Garageband another hard look?

I haven't bothered much with Garageband in years. Of late, my iOS focus has been on AUM-enabled workflow and tools.

But I keep seeing that stuff like this come across my YouTube feed.

So should we be giving Garageband another hard look?

Thx

Comments

• Brevity has soul

• Last time I looked, there was a lot on "producer" loops. with some celebrity stems in there.

FWIW, I think GB does a great job with the touch interface playing chords with velocity on the string ensemble instruments, among other things.

• GarageBand is the most outstanding app that I can never bring myself to use.

• It’s like anything else. You commit to and learn it you can do a lot. If you just dip in and out every once in awhile you won’t get much out of it. There’s not a lot that you can do in other apps that you can’t do in GB.

• @wim said:
    GarageBand is the most outstanding app that I can never bring myself to use.

This.

I mean, if I need an electric guitar solo to pop into NS2 or Gadget, I play it in GB and export the audio. Producing a full track in it? I just can't wrap my head around it lol.

• I really enjoy it on my iPhone 8...

• has a ways to go but It’s the Only iPadOS sequencer I can tolerate

• I have to say though, I really enjoy Pete Johns ‘Studio Live Today’ tutorials - fast, snappy and to the point. And he just seems like a sound bloke.

• @robosardine said:
    I have to say though, I really enjoy Pete Johns ‘Studio Live Today’ tutorials - fast, snappy and to the point. And he just seems like a sound bloke.

Pun intended? Lol. But yes I agree. Great tutorials.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If Apple add a mixer to it I would be much more likely to use it.

• I've enjoyed the Pete John videos on GB. But only listened to it, haven't tried to apply what I heard.

• @wim said:
    GarageBand is the most outstanding app that I can never bring myself to use.

I've been using it so long I can't imagine using anything else. I continue to avoid "upgrading" to Logic Pro because I still dislike the workflow of that program, even though it has options available which may never make their way to GarageBand.

• Is there stem export or a livable hack yet?

• @AudioGus , I’ve been inserting Neon as an AU effect in GB to capture individual tracks. Save the recording to Neon’s media Bay, open another instance of Neon simultaneously to access the clip elsewhere. I use this to capture smart instruments to use in an AUM session.

• For organic music type production with light mixing it’s very useful - especially with Mixbox on the inserts.

For heavy edit, automation intense stuff - I wouldn’t try that.

• @GRiker said:
    @AudioGus , I’ve been inserting Neon as an AU effect in GB to capture individual tracks. Save the recording to Neon’s media Bay, open another instance of Neon simultaneously to access the clip elsewhere. I use this to capture smart instruments to use in an AUM session.

Woah, hot tip, thanks GRiker!

• Garageband is my go to DAW for a number of reasons. It’s free, easily accessible, which means anyone with an iPhone or an iPad, and projects can be shared to multiple users. Granted, there’s a lot of things I would wish for Garageband to be able to do, but strangely enough I’ve learned to work with a lot of the limitations and produce unexpected ideas.

Here’s one I don’t think I shared with the Audiobus forum, when I was exploring mellow sounds, and free apps.

• @AudioGus said:

@GRiker said:
    @AudioGus , I’ve been inserting Neon as an AU effect in GB to capture individual tracks. Save the recording to Neon’s media Bay, open another instance of Neon simultaneously to access the clip elsewhere. I use this to capture smart instruments to use in an AUM session.

Woah, hot tip, thanks GRiker!

@GRiker : Wow that’s brilliant indeed. Thanks !

• edited October 2021

Something going on? I just searched GB in the App Store and it doesn’t show up. 🤔

Never mind. It’s back. 🥱

• edited October 2021

@AudioGus I follow these steps to export stems from GB:

https://www.cultofmac.com/581136/export-garageband-stems-ipad/

It may look complicated, but it's actually quite easy.

1. Merge selected track in GB.
    2. Copy project to Audioshare.
    3. Open Media folder in Audioshare.
    4. Copy audio file to destination app.
  • If Apple added automation, I’d probably use it

• edited October 2021

@gregsmith said:
    If Apple added automation, I’d probably use it

It has automation doesn’t it? I thought I read that the other day

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/garageband-ipad/chsf716994ec/ipados

Thanks for this thread Ive been considering trying garageband again as Auria is just a crash fest and horrible to use, i can’t stand cubasis ui, and I’m the opposite form many here as I need a trad daw, loop based ones and ableton approach are really poor for me workflow wise. This or n track I think I’ll try.

Also the world instruments are fantastic.

• @wingwizard said:

@gregsmith said:
    If Apple added automation, I’d probably use it

It has automation doesn’t it?

Yes it does, as long as you only want to automate volume. :)

• Drum sequencer in GB is <3
    Wish someone rips it into AUv3

• Yes, I love Garageband, even though I am convinced some features are really missing.
    The Strings sound and the Drummers are simply unbeaten on iOS for now.

• I really wished I liked it, since it's free, has a decent amount of stuff built in, and can easily export to desktop. But I kept coming back to try it, but it just never clicked and I'm not sure why... It might be as just that all the interactions are animated and just that bit too slow that makes using it feel like a chore. Shame b/c I could have saved myself some money if I could bring myself to like it!

• No. We should be giving Auria Pro another hard look.

• These 8 low hanging fruit would go a long way.

1) AU automation
    2) AU on sends
    3) Expose the hidden masterbus
    4) Set time line locators
    5) Clip fades
    6) Clip mute
    7) double track count to 64
    8) Multi-track MIDI arming/recording

Still think there’s been a major brain drain amongst Apple creative apps teams…pretty stagnant over there.