Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Evolution of the iOS Music Making Platform from 2007 to 2021 | haQ attaQ

From Apple introducing the first iPhone, to AUM and AUv3 Multi-bus routing, heres the Evolution of the iOS Music platform from 2007 to 2021. It's been 14 years in the making and a lot of stuff has happened since it all began. The introduction of the AppStore, The first iPhone Synthesizer, Audiobus, Inter App Audio, the first iPad Pro, Audio Unit Extensions, I've collected all vital miles stones in a time-line spanning over a decade and I'm finally able to share it with the iOS Music community.

haQattaQ

Comments

• Wow, thanks!! Watching now…

• @Telstar5 said:
    Wow, thanks!! Watching now…

Hope you enjoy it!

• What a great summary, thanks for the memories. And BEBOT!!!!!!

BEBOT was the voice of BB 8 the famous droid from Star Wars. The director actually used the default patch for all the “voice” sounds of the character

• I bought ims20 on the 24 of April 2012. My first iOS app!

@jakoB_haQ you made me feel old…in a good way! Thanks for this. ❤️

• We needed this..Thanks.. OMG it’s great!

• Fantastic, Jakob! Most importantly, I found out you are Swedish when all this time I thought you were Dutch! Maybe it was the hat?

Anyway, thanks so much for this. You filled in all the blanks completely. I started in April 2018 without a clue. Now I have a clue and a complete history of this unprecedented evolution that has taken place in a few short years thanks to you. You are a part of iOS history, Jakob. And you’re still making it. You can be very proud 😉👍🙏

• Great job on this, both informatively and visually. I can't imagine how you managed to do a timeline on an iPad.

Plus, you filled a lot of spaces as I got into iOS during the middle/late cycle of the chart. I'd subconsciously looked into majority of the apps, yet it was great to see apps I'd never looked at.

Also, Thor 😭 Why didn't I pick you up when you were available. That's going to be my "the one that got away" application.

• Wow, I will watch this asap. Thanks for the hard work mister Haq!

• This is going to be epic. You work so hard, Yacobe!

• I jumped in somewhere in 2016…thanks for putting the timeline and video together! Enjoyed watching!

• Jeez that was just too much. I really was blown away seeing that . Bravo Jakob!

• @jakoB_haQ And thank you for telling me about Audiobus forum!

• edited October 2021

Thank you @jakoB_haQ, while I had the odd app on iPhone earlier I’ve been using an iPad for under 2 years, so this was a great primer on how iOS has developed as a music platform. Did you miss out multi-core support? I'm not sure any host other than Cubasis 3 supports it?

• Great video!

I remember many of us writing to developers to tel them about this new thing called "Audiobus" and asking them to add it to their apps.

When they did add it, we'd post on the forum "App (INSERT NAME) is on the bus!". There were only a handful at first but then it became hundreds of apps. You wouldn't buy an app unless it worked with AudioBus.

• Fun video. I jumped on around 2013 so I remember a good chunk of this. The only major omission IMO is Korg Gadget, which for a few years pretty much dominated the scene, until AUM came along and took the crown.

• edited October 2021

Massive thanks to all of you for the love!

I’ve wanted to make this video for so long now. It feels great to have you all watching it. We’re all part of what’s happened over the years. I love this community. 💋

• One of the most interesting folks to make this! What a rabbit hole though. This must of been a lot of work. video should be pinned to the front of the ab forum.

Thanks again Jakob!

• Fantastic video @jakoB_haQ! Thank you for the trip down memory lane, and please never stop using “Paper Jakob”!

• Nice bit of research there, @jakoB_haQ. And some very nice tips of the hat to @Michael and AudioBus.

• Great summary, thanks!

Not strictly an audio thing, but what first brought me to iOS around 2012-13 was the customisable midi controllers… Midi Designer, Lemur, TB Midi… my initial run with actual audio apps was rather poor… after buying few apps that I couldn’t use together reliably I kept my iPad mainly as a midi controller… it was only around AUM when I revisited the audio side again :)

• edited October 2021

Such a fun journey. I thought I was in “at the beginning” but I went back and found my first iOS music purchases, GarageBand v 1.1 and Animoog on the same day in November 2011.
    Now, what should I do to celebrate the 10 year anniversary?

• edited October 2021

Thank you @jakoB_haQ for your hard work!
    It’s fun to reminisce about early days.

• Thanks @jakoB_haQ, I almost cried. It was such an amazing period with « game changers » almost every weeks. I felt a bit like a pioneer at this time ;o)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2021

I can imagine the future stories… ah, back in time when we had only IAA and you had just one instance of a plugin, that were the golden days when creativity was king. We had crazy workarounds instead of feature battleship class DAWs. That was real music making, not these DAWs for pussies.

• @supadom said:
    I bought ims20 on the 24 of April 2012. My first iOS app!

@richardyot said:
    Fun video. I jumped on around 2013 so I remember a good chunk of this. The only major omission IMO is Korg Gadget, which for a few years pretty much dominated the scene, until AUM came along and took the crown.

I thought Gadget seemed strangely omitted too at first but then it looks like the video is mostly about the platforms technological evolution (with the exception of the youtuber apps shout out/plug at the end, heh) and I can’t really think of what Gadget brought to the table technologically that was really new to the platform.

• Great Video presentation JakoB. Maybe you should become a documentary film maker.
    But lord, you gotta change the title of the thread, I keep hitting it thinking it’s the big update for Audio Evolution!
    Cheers!

• @AudioGus said:

@supadom said:
    I bought ims20 on the 24 of April 2012. My first iOS app!

@richardyot said:
    Fun video. I jumped on around 2013 so I remember a good chunk of this. The only major omission IMO is Korg Gadget, which for a few years pretty much dominated the scene, until AUM came along and took the crown.

I thought Gadget seemed strangely omitted too at first but then it looks like the video is mostly about the platforms technological evolution (with the exception of the youtuber apps shout out/plug at the end, heh) and I can’t really think of what Gadget brought to the table technologically that was really new to the platform.

Yes, Gadget was a late (?) entry to the “walled garden” app category. Now if Korg just made more of their apps AUv3 they’d be able to prise some money out of me…

• edited November 2021

Finally watched. Informative and enjoyable. Well done @jakoB_haQ and the work you put into it is very evident.

• Back in 2010, it got real with nanostudio 1

We only bought apps that had “acp” or audio copy and paste lol

Funny, despite the so called limitations, some great tracks were made just with acp and ns1

The first real synth was sunrizer and hardly any synths after come even close

Then it was iaa then everyone was demanding that all apps get on the bus

Now the bus has crashed and everyone wants auv3

I mean come on, there is like a million reverbs and bit crushers to choose from lol

I’m all for devs making more standalone daw/ sequencer/ groove box type apps

Gadget was a dream when it came out- it has that sound and definitely a very fast work flow
    NS2 was the biggest let down ever

BM3? Total let down and is now abandonware

Most like aum and auv3, ok carry on collecting and dumping apps lol

Wish ns1 would be updated to iOS14 at least with auv3 then I’d be happy running SynthMaster through it and I’d retire happily with that set up lol