Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IK group buy breakfast breakout club :D

edited October 2021 in General App Discussion

I know some are tired of it so decided to start a new thread.

I'm just making my last few decisions in the IK group buy thing, and I'm having trouble narrowing down my Amplitube choices...

I already got Fender 2, so I'm starting to think that the much older Fender pack probably isn't much use, though I'm open to it if there's stuff in there that is as good and different to the sequel...

I'm pretty sure I don't want the Satriani / Dimebag / Slash models as I'm not much of a metalhead anymore, though I am tempted by the Santana tones of some of the MESA pack...

I do have the Jimi pack in my shortlist, though I'm not sure exactly what it brings that isn't dialable elsewhere, and seems like one of the older ones, maybe the Brian May would actually be more interesting with the unique amps (I love listening to Queen and his stuff but never want to play like that, so the octaver stuff isn't really in my sights...)

Orange pack totally appeals, pretty sure I'll go for that, unless there's a good reason not to, and I've got the Fulltone collection shortlisted too, though I did already get all the X series, and I'm pretty sure I'll use Space Delay to trigger my 100 buck tier...

SVX, I don't play bass, and the MODO one already sounds pretty good through its internal amp, and the one's already in my Amplitube library so not sure I'll go for those, although I'm always open to persuasion :)

Other things I'm getting are the Cinematik instruments, the new Tape ones, and a scattering of other sample pack, nice pianos, mallets, percussion, maybe clavitube and the Wurli etc

I'm not sure about the drum packs, which, if any, to get, any guidance anyone?

cheers,

Chris

Comments

• If anyone’s got any advice or opinions on any of the above it would be most helpful, especially the amplitube stuff; I’m actually starting to doubt whether I’ll go for another tier, maybe save the pennies and get a nembrini amp or two on sale as I love them on the iPad but might be good to have some access on desktop as well…

• I think, via Custom Shop, you can demo pretty much everything

• @animalelder said:
    I think, via Custom Shop, you can demo pretty much everything

Funnily enough I literally just realised that 😁

• I would check out some T-Racks modules, because you can use them as standalone plugins. That is where I spent most of my credits.

• edited October 2021

Yeah I’ve got a bunch of the premium ones, as well as the two main bundles, a lot of the others are covered quite nicely in both mix box and amplitube (I almost went for saturator x until I spotted it in both…)

I think I’m getting to the point where I can happily just do the last two slots I’ve got left as space delay, and one of the amp packs, probably mesa boogie. Playing dozens of amps one after the other just gets dizzying after a while, and with the ones packed into 5, plus fenders, Leslies plus the odd freebie that they’ve thrown in over the years I’ve got a pretty wide range of stuff to keep me occupied…

Most of my second tier wish list is actually sample packs, and to be fair, I’ve got tons of sample content with ableton, plus other packs from all over…

• I am in the process of downloading/ installing all of the sampletank and syntronik stuff to an external hard drive attached my 2011 Mac mini, which runs as an audiogridder server usually, just so I can download all of it. One piece of advice- make sure you start out clicking on the 3 dots under install and choose “Install to…” to download to a place you choose. I didn’t realize it until a large portion of sampletank 4 downloaded then got stuck because the ssd on my Mac mini was almost full. I’ll have to spend time later moving things around or deleting some things.

• @mrufino1 said:
    I am in the process of downloading/ installing all of the sampletank and syntronik stuff to an external hard drive attached my 2011 Mac mini, which runs as an audiogridder server usually, just so I can download all of it. One piece of advice- make sure you start out clicking on the 3 dots under install and choose “Install to…” to download to a place you choose. I didn’t realize it until a large portion of sampletank 4 downloaded then got stuck because the ssd on my Mac mini was almost full. I’ll have to spend time later moving things around or deleting some things.

Yeah, I made sure that they all went on an external SSD, although unfortunately it’s a work one for a particular client, so I might need to grab a fresh one to make up for all the space I’ve gobbled up with nonsense 🙃

• Sampletank is kinda garbage. The drop down menu doesn’t seem to reflect all the stuff I bought.

• @animalelder said:
    Sampletank is kinda garbage. The drop down menu doesn’t seem to reflect all the stuff I bought.

It’s definitely an oddball, there’s not a lot of presets as far as I can tell, but all the instruments that should be there are loadable, click on an empty slot and hit ‘load instrument’ and you get endless choice…

• edited October 2021

@animalelder said:
    Sampletank is kinda garbage. The drop down menu doesn’t seem to reflect all the stuff I bought.

You have to make sure the packs you've got are listed in the left hand column. You can select which packs to show from the little menu Load up Custom Shop and select "Restore My Purchases" if they're not all showing.

From there you can choose to hide or show unauthorised libraries so that should make it easy to make sure the ones you have are authorised. Then if you click a library its name will turn red and you'll only see presets for that library. If there's an X next to the library name, click it and it will show all the libraries.

The popup menu at the top is just for multis, which combine different presets and include things like demo songs. I prefer to just have one instrument per instance so don't bother with multis at all.

You'll then get to choose the instrument you want for each part in the following screen.

Then double click the instrument you want to actually load it. You can do this with multiple parts to make your own multis.

Everything is garbage before you know how to use it :lol:

• Weirdly I can’t see the cinekinetik stuff in there, I thought they were sampletank? (I’ve still not decided whether to get those or not…)

• @Krupa said:
    Weirdly I can’t see the cinekinetik stuff in there, I thought they were sampletank? (I’ve still not decided whether to get those or not…)

I think it’s because they’re newer than sampletank 4 so aren’t yet in the unauthorised list. I’m sure They’ll appear if you get them though. I got the shipwreck and fractured pianos and they showed up fine once authorised.

(I really like shipwrecked piano. I’m not so keen on fractured).

• Ah cool, ta, shipwreck sounds really beautiful, fractured does sound a bit odd in the demo track, like it’s just been downsampled or something, despite the apparently tortuous creation process they went through to make it…

• I couldn’t get the Alan Parsons piano to show up in Sample Tank, until I finally figured out that it was an older product and needed to be authorized through the old registration app first. Something to look out for.

• @aaronpc said:
    I couldn’t get the Alan Parsons piano to show up in Sample Tank, until I finally figured out that it was an older product and needed to be authorized through the old registration app first. Something to look out for.

It is amazing just how bad the user experience of IK's product and licence management system is. At various points during the ongoing torture that passes for user engagement, you'd think you have seen everything, but they always manage to come up with yet another annoying and totally indefensible trick that makes your life even more miserable. It's almost art, really. 👌

• They definitely are quite good at bad interface, though I’m enjoying the sounds and using them once they’re up and running…

• I don’t understand how the group buy works, at all. Can someone explain it to me like I’m five?

• @ervin said:

@aaronpc said:
    I couldn’t get the Alan Parsons piano to show up in Sample Tank, until I finally figured out that it was an older product and needed to be authorized through the old registration app first. Something to look out for.

It is amazing just how bad the user experience of IK's product and licence management system is. At various points during the ongoing torture that passes for user engagement, you'd think you have seen everything, but they always manage to come up with yet another annoying and totally indefensible trick that makes your life even more miserable. It's almost art, really. 👌

Haha. Yeah they seem to be confusing people all over the inter webs.

I have found the group buy fairly plain sailing to be hones. I’ve not had to use the old authorised app at all. Which is good because I hated it. I have particular contempt for apps that require sign in that won’t let you paste a password from a password manager.

The AP piano worked fine for me without the old authoriser. I’ve installed a lot of sampletank extras and haven’t had to use the old authorised at all. Yet.

The one thing I used to hate was when you’d install one t-racks plugin and they’d put the entire range in your plug in menu and it’d take more than one attempt every time to remember exactly what the compressor or limiter i owned was actually called.

Thanks to the group buy I now have all of them so it’s not an issue anymore :lol:

Anyway. My personal experience is that even though the product manager isn’t the best experience in the world it’s a lot better than before — and a shed load better than dealing with some other authorisation systems from other vendors.

I’m not slow to complain when an experience is bad but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my IK experience so far. And I’ve owned IK stuff for a long time, it’s not always been that great an experience. But I’ve now installed pretty much everything IK make and haven’t had any issues that a turn-it-off-and-on-again didn’t sort.

And I’m very happy with the group buy. I’ve done OK :-)

• I keep reading this thread title as IK Group Buy Breakfast.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I don’t understand how the group buy works, at all. Can someone explain it to me like I’m five?

This post might help in case you’ve not already seen it:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1005448#Comment_1005448

• One day to go on making final selections, I'm down to my last three slots and choosing between

Nanotube
    Precision Comp / Limiter
    Amplitube Dimebag
    CSR Inverse Reverb
    Saturation X (these last two are already available to me in both amplitube and mixbox so migth not be useful apart from convenience)

or one of the two outstanding drum collections, I got the Cobham and Bozio ones earlier and they seem like my cup o tea...

I've spent far too much time contemplating and testing all this stuff the last few weeks, good job Im not billing by the hour :D

• @Krupa said:
    One day to go on making final selections, I'm down to my last three slots and choosing between

Nanotube
    Precision Comp / Limiter
    Amplitube Dimebag
    CSR Inverse Reverb
    Saturation X (these last two are already available to me in both amplitube and mixbox so migth not be useful apart from convenience)

or one of the two outstanding drum collections, I got the Cobham and Bozio ones earlier and they seem like my cup o tea...

I've spent far too much time contemplating and testing all this stuff the last few weeks, good job Im not billing by the hour :D

I'd get these:

Precision Comp / Limiter
    Saturation X
    Amplitube Dimebag

• I think you might be right, the Nanotube said isn’t that interesting, I’ll eventually use the limiter and the dimebag stuff is probably a gap in the massive amplitube collection I’ve amassed, of and Sat X is just really good and I load mixbox just for that all the time…