Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I made an afrobeat song using only stock sounds on my iPhone (in Garageband - revised)

Inspiration comes from a lot of places, and yesterday I had the chance to chat with one of my favorite afrobeat YouTube producers. So, I woke up early today and made this short video/tutorial using the 4 main elements that, in my opinion, are needed to make a song.

">

link

For reference, the 4 elements are Drums, Bass, Melody, Vocals.

Comments

• edited October 2021

Video is now online. Also, great reminder not to update an application before uploading a video :s

• edited October 2021

Update: Added time stamps to the video and small details.

• edited October 2021

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Video is now online. Also, great reminder not to update an application before uploading a video :s

It happens to the best of us. 😏

I’ll have a look later.

• I’ve had a look/listen.

Really cool.

I love afrobeat ever since I first heard Fela ‘Ransom Anikulapo’ Kuti and Africa 70.

Well done.

• Thanks, @Gravitas . Yeah, lessons were learnt yesterday 😭😁

Fela Kuti has been a defining entertainer growing up in West Africa. Him, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey are examples of creative individuals who left a legacy that modern artists subconsciously draw from.

Also, can't forget the legend, Lagbaja.
    Didn't know about Africa 70. Wow, thanks for the great recommendations.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Thanks, @Gravitas . Yeah, lessons were learnt yesterday 😭😁

Fela Kuti has been a defining entertainer growing up in West Africa. Him, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey are examples of creative individuals who left a legacy that modern artists subconsciously draw from.

Yeah, his drummer Tony Allen is one of the greatest drummers ever.
    The rhythm section for Fela Kuti's band was out of this world.
    It's good to see two of his sons carrying the banner forward.
    Femi and Seun.

I've learnt something today myself.
    I didn't know about Lagbaja and Ebenezer Obey.
    I'll look them up for sure as I need to know.

It's been awhile so thanks for tickling the memories.

• Great example Seonn of how you are focused on capturing the idea.. the inspiration first.. worry about sounds + arranging later.. just GET IT DOWN.. NOW.. 😁 That’s the way it’s done.. 👍

@seonnthaproducer @Gravitas
    ❤️ Afrobeat! Got into it once I had been playing drums for a bit.. realized it was the funkiest stuff I’d heard since The Meters + James Brown.. incredibly groovy..

Femi (shoki shoki album) led me to Fela which of course led me to Tony Allen.. Some of the grooviest music my ears (+ body) have had the pleasure of listening (+ moving) to..

I’ll have to check out a few of the other artists mentioned.. Am I heading down a rabbit hole? 🐰 Luckily it’s pouring outside + I have time to fall into that hole.. 😄 Thanks for the push..

• edited October 2021

@Gravitas said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Thanks, @Gravitas . Yeah, lessons were learnt yesterday 😭😁

Yeah, his drummer Tony Allen is one of the greatest drummers ever.
    The rhythm section for Fela Kuti's band was out of this world.
    It's good to see two of his sons carrying the banner forward.
    Femi and Seun.

I've learnt something today myself.
    I didn't know about Lagbaja and Ebenezer Obey.
    I'll look them up for sure as I need to know.

It's been awhile so thanks for tickling the memories.

No worries. Honestly, Lagbaja is a legend, especially in Yoruba cities. His songs combines afrobeat, with jazz elements, his iconic voice, and use of saxophone. That, and his masked outfit, places him as a staple.

Here’s one of his hits that best represents his style.

@royor Thanks as well. I’ve been diving into an unexpected rabbit hole these past few months. Drum and Bass, and Afrobeats now...it’s been a great experience to listen, and try and create songs outside of the EDM based style that I usually make.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

No worries. Honestly, Lagbaja is a legend, especially in Yoruba cities. His songs combines afrobeat, with jazz elements, his iconic voice, and use of saxophone. That, and his masked outfit, places him as a staple.

Here’s one of his hits that best represents his style.

Listening now.
    Classic AfroBeat.

When Fela Kuti discovered funk he and his band went and created AfroBeat.
    The rest is history.

@royor said:
    Great example Seonn of how you are focused on capturing the idea.. the inspiration first.. worry about sounds + arranging later.. just GET IT DOWN.. NOW.. 😁 That’s the way it’s done.. 👍

Agreed.

@seonnthaproducer @Gravitas
    ❤️ Afrobeat! Got into it once I had been playing drums for a bit.. realized it was the funkiest stuff I’d heard since The Meters + James Brown.. incredibly groovy..

Former pro drummer here.
    James Brown and Fela Kuti were/are essential listening no doubt.

Femi (shoki shoki album) led me to Fela which of course led me to Tony Allen.. Some of the grooviest music my ears (+ body) have had the pleasure of listening (+ moving) to..

I found out about Femi Kuti via Shoki remixed.
    Both of his sons sound so much like Fela.

I’ll have to check out a few of the other artists mentioned.. Am I heading down a rabbit hole? 🐰 Luckily it’s pouring outside + I have time to fall into that hole.. 😄 Thanks for the push..

Enjoy the fall.

I 'fell' into African music for about 9 1/2 years.
    No complaints when I came out the other side.
    Coming out the other side I had greater knowledge
    and experience of the traditions and skills.
    I've neglected some parts of the mantle bestowed
    upon me so I'm going down that rabbit hole for awhile.
    My mentor returned not to long ago.
    It seems it's time to complete the journey.