Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different Sequencer

I think that should have been the name for Different Drummer. The video below will give you an idea of how it can be used, although it is several versions back...

I understand the dev might be about to abandon this, which I think would be a shame. He's updated the app more than any other I own.

Comments

• He said he needs to push sales or he can't continue to update the app.

• I think you're right about the name. It really doesn't promote the apps best features. ie midi sequencing. It would be a shame to see it dropped, but you can understand Peter's point of view if it isn't making money for him. He really has brought this truly unique software a long way in a short time.

• I can understand it as well, and it agree that the midi sequencing is among the best aspects. Along with that though, I would add that using waves to generate the rhythm is unique and one of my favorite aspects of the app. I hope he comes up with something to help keep it going. I have been anxious to see this one get state saving!

• edited May 2014

Maybe one of you guys could make a video dedicated to multitrack midi sequencing? It definitely seems like this app is on the right path but I still don't really get it.

• Heh: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/39102#Comment_39102

Guess I'm still wondering (and in agreement about the name @funjunkie27!)

• I've been wanting to make a video for some time but never seem to find the time. You can set each track to a different midi channel, or duplicate channels across tracks. In the case of the latter, chord progressions can be had. I've had a great deal of success with all the apps I've controlled with midi from DD. BS-16i, Soundfont Pro, and Cubasis are the ones I use the most, given the multi-timbal capabilities, but I've also driven multiple apps too.

• A flash sale would boost downloads, increase excitement, and ultimately, more advertising. As we all know, a buzz on the audiobus forum will increase dev's profits. Maybe you can invite him to join the discussions over here too!

• This seems like a really inventive app. I had no idea about its complexities until this thread.

• The dev is aware of this forum and posts on here from time to time. I did suggest promo codes, IAPs, and a slightly crippled free ver to promote interest.

Agreed @kgmeisser...one of the most unique concepts I've seen, plus it's very useable. There is a learning curve, but even out of the box you can get some interesting results with automation.

• I totally agree, as good a sequencer as it is a drum machine.

• I have it and find it has a steep learning curve but a lot of potential for me I think.

I would strongly suggest a flash sale, adding Audiobus, and developing an interesting feature as an IAP. Probably in that order. All should boost sales and the first is trivially easy and the second apparently not so hard to do. The third thing is obviously a lot of work if it's going to be something interesting.

• Some apps do have long semi descriptive names, and I have noticed some of my installed apps getting renamed during update cycles. So perhaps renaming to something like: "Different Drummer - Unique Midi Sequencer" would pull in a lot more searches from potentially interested parties. Again, very easy to implement.

• Um, it has Audiobus.

• New to the forum. Hi all!

Just bought DD this week and fully agree on it being much more than a drum machine. Great musical ideas generator, does take a lot of exploring and some bits of the UI are a little confusing at first.

Would be a real shame if this app was abandoned. Great idea about generating chords @funjunkie27. Will have to and try that out.

• The reason I've never recommended it is because it only has MIDI Sync Out. Drum machines should sync to a DAWs clock. It also has a really cryptic interface. It's a shame really.

• He needs to rename it. Wave sequencer maybe? Different drummer is too vague and confusing.

Until i watched a video i had no idea what it was. Seems very cool. Shame the marketing has been so dismal. Probably not something i would use but a lot of people would love this if they knew it existed.

• @syrupcore said:

Maybe one of you guys could make a video dedicated to multitrack midi sequencing? It definitely seems like this app is on the right path but I still don't really get it.

What he said.

• @syrupcore - wrong discussion - but no problem ;)

• I agree, this is too cool of an app to be abandoned, and also agree that I think it just needs more exposure. I struggled with the purchase decision (think I jumped in at the US$50 mark - no regrets) because there just wasn't much in the way of video that really showed off what it could do. And really, there still isn't anything that I know of. The few tutorials / demo videos I've seen, while instructive, end up producing rather "meh" end results. Who wants to buy a program that looks complicated and gets "meh" results? No one, but that's not really the case here. Different Drummer can deliver "wow" results, and fairly quickly once you get your head around how it works.