Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New DrumJam IAP

Just wanted to let you all know that we've released a new pad instrument pack with 9 new pad instruments: JS Hang and World Pack.

• Two new PANArt Hang hand pans
  • Large and Small Udus
  • Flower Bell
  • Garapatta
  • New Krakab
  • Repinique
  • Tamborim

These are all pad instruments (no loops) and are deeply sampled from the instrument collection of Joshua Samson. There are usually between 20 and 30 velocity layers per hit. Check it out in the Drum Store section of the prefs in the app.

There is a new DrumJam update as well, which just adds some instrument info about the new instruments.

Comments

• Awesome just updated the app. Cheers!

• Nice! Hopefully this will help satiate my intense need for a hand pan...

• Oooh boy!
    Awesome!
    :heart:

• An indispensable drum app

• "It's alive!" - Good to see some work on a @sonosaurus app. Thumbjam is an amazing app and I'd love to see it updated or something like it in the AppStore.

Hang Drums are great!

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/no/5exs9v6xyvsn.png

• @McD said:
    "It's alive!" - Good to see some work on a @sonosaurus app. Thumbjam is an amazing app and I'd love to see it updated or something like it in the AppStore.

ThumbJam bug fix update is coming soon... not exciting... just an "it's still alive, and now some broken things work again" release...

• edited October 2021

@sonosaurus I’m not expecting to see DrumJam as an AUv3 (I realise that would be a ton of work), but do you think it might be possible to repackage some of the samples into some AUv3 apps?

Something along the lines of Klevgrand’s Ting: no fancy sequencing but just samples mapped to pads with velocity layers and round-robin.

There’s a lack of decent drum modules, and I think it’s partly because a lot of drum apps do sequencing and probability etc. But in some cases just having some decent samples to sequence yourself is enough, and it’s something that doesn’t currently exist on iOS.

• @richardyot said:
    @sonosaurus I’m not expecting to see DrumJam as an AUv3 (I realise that would be a ton of work), but do you think it might be possible to repackage some of the samples into some AUv3 apps?

Something along the lines of Klevgrand’s Ting: no fancy sequencing but just samples mapped to pads with velocity layers and round-robin.

There’s a lack of decent drum modules, and I think it’s partly because a lot of drum apps do sequencing and probability etc. But in some cases just having some decent samples to sequence yourself is enough, and it’s something that doesn’t currently exist on iOS.

What he said.

• @richardyot said:

You have started some wheels turning over here... interesting.....

• @sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

🙏 🤞

• @sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Take, as the kids say, my money!

• @sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Also worth adding that it doesn’t need to be one big app like DrumJam. It could be a bunch of smaller apps that offer different samples: one for for drum kits, one for hang, one for African percussion, another for Brazilian etc…

Monetise those samples!

• @richardyot said:

@sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Also worth adding that it doesn’t need to be one big app like DrumJam. It could be a bunch of smaller apps that offer different samples: one for for drum kits, one for hang, one for African percussion, another for Brazilian etc…

Monetise those samples!

+1

• @richardyot said:

@sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Monetise those samples!

I remember suggesting the same sort of thing to the KRFT folks as they were starting to fold up operations— parse it out into logical AUable chunks and maximize your time investment.

• Drumjam is such a awesome app!

Every time I feel a little depressed, I started Drumjam, play around, one minute later I have a big smile on my face and my soul goes positive!!

Thanks @sonosaurus

• edited October 2021

Thanks for update and new sounds!

Would be nice to change the scale of the notes for pantams. Or at least know which scales they are. Including all Kalimba etc

• @sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Sweet. Anything that helps DrumJam/Thumbjam or both get some sort of Au treatment would be music to my ears, literally. Lol. Maybe just an Au pad extension of DrumJam, or a new app, that’s just the pad part of the app. I truly love these 2 apps, so anything that gets them more into my workflow would be very welcomed. Cheers!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Would be nice to change the scale of the notes for pantams. Or at least know which scales they are. Including all Kalimba etc

All the pitched percussion pad instruments are represented with the actual notes on the instruments themselves, unaltered. Sometimes they aren’t exactly in tune or even actual notes…. but for all of them you can control them via midi from a controller or another controller app and play them how you like (with the obvious resampling artifacts). Maybe one day I’ll let you configure them in different ways on the builtin pads, but until then use external midi control!

• @sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

All the pitched percussion pad instruments are represented with the actual notes on the instruments themselves, unaltered. Sometimes they aren’t exactly in tune or even actual notes…. but for all of them you can control them via midi from a controller or another controller app and play them how you like (with the obvious resampling artifacts). Maybe one day I’ll let you configure them in different ways on the builtin pads, but until then use external midi control!

Ok sir. But I like to jam from within Drumjam. I’ll just use https://apps.apple.com/il/app/auto-key-music-key-detection/id1559061303 to detect key and I’ll make a list

• @iansainsbury said:

@richardyot said:

@sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Monetise those samples!

+1

Yes, yes, and, um, YES!

• @Poppadocrock said:

@sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

Sweet. Anything that helps DrumJam/Thumbjam or both get some sort of Au treatment would be music to my ears, literally. Lol. Maybe just an Au pad extension of DrumJam, or a new app, that’s just the pad part of the app. I truly love these 2 apps, so anything that gets them more into my workflow would be very welcomed. Cheers!

And ThumbJam as MIDI only, even; it’s such an inspiring UI that takes advantage of the touchscreen, which I feel like has gone by the wayside because of AUv3 and the devotion to using the higher horsepower for the sound/synthesis engine vs. the playing/playability. I mean a keyboard is fucking boring and really dumbed down on a touch screen (not counting the Animoog keyboard which is lovely to play every time, including on the M15). Go ThumbJam go!!!!!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Ok sir. But I like to jam from within Drumjam. I’ll just use https://apps.apple.com/il/app/auto-key-music-key-detection/id1559061303 to detect key and I’ll make a list

It’s a good idea to have some note labels at least on those pitched pads, I think I can wrangle that!

• I would buy an AU with just drum samples and pads. If it's more RAM and CPU-efficient for an app to hold only one kit, that's fine.

It would be nice to have something that allows you to load your own samples. But AudioLayer has a pretty elaborate interface, and there aren't many options for ala carte drum samples, so...I would still want those.

@sonosaurus For any drum app, it would be nice if the user could quickly change the number of layers in use. 1, 3, 5, 8, 16, etc. For managing system resources.

• @sonosaurus said:

@richardyot said:

I’d buy it. And play with velocity keyboard. Drool.

• A good drum sample player with velocity layers and round robin would be a must buy. Also needs MIDI control for volume, pan, etc for each drum kit piece/track. I haven't found anything on the market suitable for live performance with convincing samples. DrumJam already comes close...

• @sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

It’s a good idea to have some note labels at least on those pitched pads, I think I can wrangle that!

A key change or even global key change would be best. It’s nice to use the pads of DrumJam

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

A key change or even global key change would be best. It’s nice to use the pads of DrumJam

You can change the key of both pads and loops already with the pitch controls.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

You can change the key of both pads and loops already with the pitch controls.

Ok. Good idea. And the pitch setting should be saved on the preset I guess

• Chiming in to say I was very happy with the results of using DrumJam last night, nested in AUM, and using my Akai MPD218.

Very easy to drag over kits and play them using the MPD with minimal fuss. Also downloaded the "Contraption" kit, and other new kits and sounds. Great sounds.

Really need to keep Drumjam in mind for my current workflow, and it could become my go-to drum app.

Thanks,
    Joe

• Just to clarify, there are loads of performances and looping features on DrumJam. This use case was limited to quickly get a kit to play via MIDI finger drumming with the MPD pads. And it worked great.