Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Model 15 v2.2.11 beta

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in the previous Minimoog Model D beta post, we're getting ready to release a new version of the Model 15 app that supports the iPhone 13, iPad 9th gen and iPad mini 6th gen devices.

We've also done a major overhaul of our graphics engine, reducing memory usage and CPU usage.
For Model 15 this now finally allows multiple AUv3 windows to be displayed at the same time in a host.

We have tested on many of our devices, all the way down to the iPad Air 1, but would appreciate some additional verification.

If you feel like lending a hand, here's the public TestFlight build:
https://testflight.apple.com/join/1hfc44jm

We look forward to hear how this build works for you.

❤️ your friends at Moog

Comments

• Thank you for doing a public TestFlight.

• 🙏🙏🙏

• A welcome surprise, thank you!

• Plan for others synth on iPad? I will buy all of your future apps for sure!

Thank you!

• This is great. The only thing that I feel Model 15 is lacking, is that the Insert and Trunk instances are not Music Effect AUv3s, so they don't respond to MIDI. I struggle with that often, because I still want to track the oscillators and trigger the envelopes while routing external VCOs or Audio through it. Is there a chance Model 15 can be updated to Music Effect AU in the future?@MoogMusicInc

• @aleyas said:
    This is great. The only thing that I feel Model 15 is lacking, is that the Insert and Trunk instances are not Music Effect AUv3s, so they don't respond to MIDI. I struggle with that often, because I still want to track the oscillators and trigger the envelopes while routing external VCOs or Audio through it. Is there a chance Model 15 can be updated to Music Effect AU in the future?@MoogMusicInc

Thanks for reminding us of this. When Model 15 adopted AUv3, we couldn't find a host that supported Music Effects, but only Audio Effects. We should definitely revisit this now.

❤️ your friends at Moog

• Dope. Thanks for sharing both of them @MoogMusicInc

• @MoogMusicInc

Any plans for Animoog? I can live without au, but the deprecation of IAA concerns me.

• @MoogMusicInc said:

❤️ your friends at Moog

I am sorry - but for me the TestFlight was not a joyful ride -

Yes, I was abled to open two AUV3 windows at the same time - but besides this I haven’t experienced any improvement - just the opposite - there was more crackling introduced - similar to the situation at the beginning of the last big update ...

IPAD Pro 2017 12,9 - IOS 13.8 here ...

2.2.10 - 4 instances in AUM - no crackles - everything fine - 5 instance introduces crackles

2.2.11 - 4 instances in AUM - crackles while moving/touching UI

Glad to be back at the current version ... )

• @MoogMusicInc
    I did the same ‚check the limits‘ test with the Model 15 beta versus store version as i did with Model D.

I tested on on my iPad Pro 10.5 / IOS 14.8 using AUM with 44.1 Khz and 512byte buffers. I to find the maximum number of instances without crackles with/without UI(s) open. Since Model 15 is polyphonic, i additionally tested 1-note vs 4-note dsp.

#     #    1-note  4-note
    Version Inst  GUIs   dsp%    dsp%    Info
    ——————-+————-+-———+-—--———+—---———+———————
    Store    7     -      99+     99+    Crackles
    Beta     7     -     102+    102+    Crackles
    =========== 
    Store    6     -      81      84     -
    Beta     6     -      83      86     -
    ——-
    Store    6     1      81      84     -
    Beta     6     1      89      94     Crackles when moving
    ——-
    Beta     6     2     100+    100+    Crackles
    ===========
    Store    5     -      68      71     -
    Beta     5     -      70      72     -
    ——-
    Store    5     1      70      74     -
    Beta     5     1      72      78     -
    Beta     5     2      84      87     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     3      86      89     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     4      91      94     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     5     100+    100+    Crackles
    ===========
    Beta     4     4      71      74     -

Results:
    Like with the Model-D the performance dropped a bit on my system. The beta starts earlier to crackle. As it seems that the update helped people with older devices to run more instances (or to open the UI without crackles) , it‘s fine for me as i‘m probably never going to hit the above limits during my sessions.

BTW: The limits didn‘t depend on the polyphony (Ie its not starting to crackle with 4 notes if 1 note didn‘t crackle)

Thanks for the open beta testing opportunity. I really appreciate your work and hope for more cool AUv3s 😀

• @_ki said:
    @MoogMusicInc
    I did the same ‚check the limits‘ test with the Model 15 beta versus store version as i did with Model D.

I tested on on my iPad Pro 10.5 / IOS 14.8 using AUM with 44.1 Khz and 512byte buffers. I to find the maximum number of instances without crackles with/without UI(s) open. Since Model 15 is polyphonic, i additionally tested 1-note vs 4-note dsp.

#     #    1-note  4-note
    Version Inst  GUIs   dsp%    dsp%    Info
    ——————-+————-+-———+-—--———+—---———+———————
    Store    7     -      99+     99+    Crackles
    Beta     7     -     102+    102+    Crackles
    =========== 
    Store    6     -      81      84     -
    Beta     6     -      83      86     -
    ——-
    Store    6     1      81      84     -
    Beta     6     1      89      94     Crackles when moving
    ——-
    Beta     6     2     100+    100+    Crackles
    ===========
    Store    5     -      68      71     -
    Beta     5     -      70      72     -
    ——-
    Store    5     1      70      74     -
    Beta     5     1      72      78     -
    Beta     5     2      84      87     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     3      86      89     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     4      91      94     Crackles when moving
    Beta     5     5     100+    100+    Crackles
    ===========
    Beta     4     4      71      74     -

Results:
    Like with the Model-D the performance dropped a bit on my system. The beta starts earlier to crackle. As it seems that the update helped people with older devices to run more instances (or to open the UI without crackles) , it‘s fine for me as i‘m probably never going to hit the above limits during my sessions.

BTW: The limits didn‘t depend on the polyphony (Ie its not starting to crackle with 4 notes if 1 note didn‘t crackle)

Thanks for the open beta testing opportunity. I really appreciate your work and hope for more cool AUv3s 😀

Thanks for the detailed testing! Very much appreciated!

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

❤️ your friends at Moog

I am sorry - but for me the TestFlight was not a joyful ride -

Yes, I was abled to open two AUV3 windows at the same time - but besides this I haven’t experienced any improvement - just the opposite - there was more crackling introduced - similar to the situation at the beginning of the last big update ...

IPAD Pro 2017 12,9 - IOS 13.8 here ...

2.2.10 - 4 instances in AUM - no crackles - everything fine - 5 instance introduces crackles

2.2.11 - 4 instances in AUM - crackles while moving/touching UI

Glad to be back at the current version ... )

Thanks so much for your report!

• Hi everyone,

We uploaded a new version v2.2.11 build 280 to TestFlight:

We're curious to see if this makes any difference for those that tested towards edge conditions and were able to create one less instance than with v2.2.10.

Thanks for the help!

<3 your friends at Moog

• Another day another update. We did more detailed profiling when running a lot of instances and noticed a performance regression that we managed to fix.

We uploaded a new version v2.2.11 build 281 to TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/1hfc44jm

Please let us know if this restored the previous performance for you, or maybe even made things better than before :smiley:

Thanks for the help!

<3 your friends at Moog

• @MoogMusicInc Thanks a lot for you patience to look into things !

The new v2.2.11 (281) allows to play 7 instances without crackles on my iPad 10.5 IOS 14.8 system, thats one more than the store version 👍🏼

For 6 instances, the dsp% are also less than the store version. This allows to open a GUI and even move the window without crackles, while the store version starts to crackle in that case.

You rock, -ki

• @_ki said:
    @MoogMusicInc Thanks a lot for you patience to look into things !

The new v2.2.11 (281) allows to play 7 instances without crackles on my iPad 10.5 IOS 14.8 system, thats one more than the store version 👍🏼

For 6 instances, the dsp% are also less than the store version. This allows to open a GUI and even move the window without crackles, while the store version starts to crackle in that case.

You rock, -ki

Thanks so much for testing Model 15 also, so happy you're getting the same great results here!

• We made this version available as the public App Store release. Thanks everyone for testing!

• edited October 2021

@MoogMusicInc The new update works very well on my old iPad Pro from 2017, thank you!

Slightly OT inside the Audiobus forum: On macOS I have a lot of problems with the scaling and zooming of the AUv3 version. Especially after I resized the plug-in window.

I am using the latest version of Model 15 on a MacBook Air (M1) running Logic 10.7. I am running my MacBook in closed lid mode with an external monitor (QHD resolution).

• @klangsulfat said:
    @MoogMusicInc The new update works very well on my old iPad Pro from 2017, thank you!

Slightly OT inside the Audiobus forum: On macOS I have a lot of problems with the scaling and zooming of the AUv3 version. Especially after I resized the plug-in window.

I am using the latest version of Model 15 on a MacBook Air (M1) running Logic 10.7. I am running my MacBook in closed lid mode with an external monitor (QHD resolution).

Thanks for your report. Could you please contact us at [email protected] with more details about the scaling and zooming problems of the AUv3 version on macOS? We'd like to look further into that.

<3 your friends at Moog

• edited October 2021

@MoogMusicInc said:

Thanks for your report. Could you please contact us at [email protected] with more details about the scaling and zooming problems of the AUv3 version on macOS? We'd like to look further into that.

<3 your friends at Moog

Will do.

Edit: Mail sent.

• I sometimes run 2 iPads and use one for synths and one for effects processing / recording so this has been a great update for my older iPad Air 2, which would frequently struggle with more instances or complex patches.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I do have a couple feature requests/suggestions that I hope you could pass along to the dev team or consider. (Also please let me know if there is already a way to do these things in the app :) )

1: A way to ‘lock’ a patch cable?
    Sometimes when quickly tweaking effects and during a performance it’s very easy to accidentally bump a patch cable and then it gets swiped away. This causes the patch to become incomplete at times, or even can cause a cacophony of feedback depending on what cable gets pulled. I understand the ‘true to form’ nature of the patch cables but it would be REALLY nice to have them able to be locked. some of the most used filters and knobs are right by important plug. Also, the knobs often become covered by cables and harder to navigate during complex patches. If there’s a way to ‘hide’ the patch cables, or make them semi-transparent, or even perhaps have the option to number or label them and flip back and forth between the graphic representations of the patches that would be AMAZING. like I said, I know it would kinda-sorta take away from ‘the spirit’ of the patch cable, modular type of look and feel, but with a live performance it would truly stand out as cutting edge software by design
    2: a way to bind patches between multiple instances of the app?
    Example: If I am using model 15 on one channel, have the option to load a multi-bus audio instance in a second channel or as an insert. This would allow several instances to become even more in sync and greatly impact a live-performance. I understand that some of these capabilities are possible through automation in a daw or by using a 3rd party midi-routing app or even by sidechaining a midi command to another input by using other AUV3 effects, but it would be super cool to have this option available right through Model 15 somehow - it would really help streamline the workflow!

Thanks again for your support! My suggestions might seem a little far-fetched, but then again - the whole idea of synthesizers has always been to defy the impossible and break down barriers into the unknown! 👽😈👾🤖✌️🤘

• @ambrosiajam
    1. You can double-tap with 2 fingers to make the cable translucent. And double-tap on a module to enlarge it for adjusting; double-tap again to go back. That should make it easier. Locking the cables would certainly help, maybe just locking them all would be enough.