Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro 10.7 - Released

Logic Pro 10.7

Spatial audio represents the next generation of sound with its revolutionary audio experience and true multi-dimensional sound and clarity. Now with a complete set of mixing and rendering tools, Logic Pro allows anyone to author their songs as Dolby Atmos music files compatible with Apple Music. Musicians, producers, and mix engineers can expand their stereo projects to the surround channels supported by Dolby Atmos, using new mixer and panner controls. In addition, 13 plug-ins within Logic Pro — including Space Designer, Limiter, Loudness Meter, and Tremolo — have also been updated to take advantage of this new creative capability. Once the songs are published to Apple Music, listeners will be able to enjoy the immersive audio experience on their devices with spatial audio support. With the new MacBook Pro, musicians get workstation-class performance for creating massive spatial audio mixes, can quickly load large sample libraries, and can use up to 3x more plug-ins for recording.

Logic Pro mixing tracks in spatial audio on the new MacBook Pro.

With Dolby Atmos tools built in, Logic Pro empowers all musicians to mix in spatial audio.
Logic Pro now comes with all the new Producer Packs1 introduced in GarageBand this summer. Musicians can use beats, loops, and samples created by today’s biggest hitmakers, including Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Mark Ronson, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL. Logic users now have access to 2,800 new loops, 50 new kits, and 120 new patches they can use in their own songs — all royalty-free. The update also features the original multitrack project of the hit song “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)” by Lil Nas X — including a Dolby Atmos spatial audio mix of the track.

Comments

• I’m regretting getting rid of my Macbook now…

• edited October 2021

(Never mind.)

• The sheer amount of extra features Logic Pro 10 has received for free is staggering.

• @klownshed said:
    The sheer amount of extra features Logic Pro 10 has received for free is staggering.

That’s why the best Daw . too bad not available for windows users

• edited October 2021

@hisdudeness said:

@klownshed said:
    The sheer amount of extra features Logic Pro 10 has received for free is staggering.

That’s why the best Daw . too bad not available for windows users

The good news is Windows users can buy a macOS computer. I have three relatives who used to be diehard PC users. I eventually convinced them to buy Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini) and they love them. Macs are even better than a PC at running Windows, so... get a Mac.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/you-can-now-run-windows-on-m1-macs-just-in-time-for-the-new-macbook-pro-at-apples-event/ar-BB1fI0bu

• Indeed, great value since i bought it for €179 since then it keeps giving for free amazing updates.
    It also include one of my favourite 3 synths of all time and normally I would have no need anymore for third party FX or midi FX (but since I won them I use them of course).
    I already played with v 10.7 and there are as usual also a ton of other small and not so small new things and bug fixes etc.
    Still best bang for money I ever invested in any music related software.
    But where is the iPad version? 😜

• edited October 2021

Later on I'll check if Apple fixed the 'released control surface bug' when closing the app...
    ...not so fun when the LPP Mk3 gets stuck in session mode after closing Logic...
    (The 'Bug' is NOT fixed in Logic 10.7, guess it's time for yet another feedback report to the HQ).

• Interesting is also that you have now a checkbox to enable midi 2.0 in the settings. Not sure for what I could use it right now but the invest in the right things for future.

• Been trying to update this but my I’ve been stuck in an Apple ID update loop for months and can’t seem to break it. Never thought it was a big issue till now I realize can’t update any Apple apps, lol.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Been trying to update this but my I’ve been stuck in an Apple ID update loop for months and can’t seem to break it. Never thought it was a big issue till now I realize can’t update any Apple apps, lol.

Have you tried going to the Apple ID account site to fix whatever the problem is?

• @uncledave said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    Been trying to update this but my I’ve been stuck in an Apple ID update loop for months and can’t seem to break it. Never thought it was a big issue till now I realize can’t update any Apple apps, lol.

Have you tried going to the Apple ID account site to fix whatever the problem is?

Yeah finally got that sorted I think thanks.
    But then I realized you need BigSur for the update, and my iMac seems to be the last model to get shafted lol. :'(
    Guess I better start saving my pennies for one of the new M1 machines

• The Logic Remote for iOS has got some love too. Especially in the step seq section.
    And I don't know if it's me but it sure seems way snappier now. Fingerdrumming snappier...

• FYI: "Logic Pro mixing tracks in spatial audio on the new MacBook Pro."

I've just got an M1 mini 16GB and the Dolby Atmos spatial audio appears to work just fine. Doesn't look like you even have to have a snappy new macbook pro :)

• @skiphunt said:
    FYI: "Logic Pro mixing tracks in spatial audio on the new MacBook Pro."

I've just got an M1 mini 16GB and the Dolby Atmos spatial audio appears to work just fine. Doesn't look like you even have to have a snappy new macbook pro :)

Try mixing a movie, with hundreds of tracks :)

• @alecsbuga said:

@skiphunt said:
    FYI: "Logic Pro mixing tracks in spatial audio on the new MacBook Pro."

Try mixing a movie, with hundreds of tracks :)

I don't get your point. I simply said that you don't have to have the latest Macbook Pro to use the new spatial stuff as is implied in the original post.

If I personally play with it at all, it'll most likely just be the Binaural options. In which case, again... you don't need the latest hardware.

I personally wouldn't be mixing a feature with 100's of tracks. If I shot a feature, I'd collab or hire someone with the appropriate hardware.

However, if I want to play around and experiment with Dolby Atmos spatial magic, it doesn't appear that I need anything more than what I already have. Thankfully. :)

• One of the main benefits of the same company making the hardware and the software, it's incredibly efficient.

I've been thinking about getting into spatial audio as something to offer clients, looks like I'll need to brush up my Logic skills soon!

• Wow...I haven't used Logic in quite some time. There is a lot of goodness to be had in this update. The Logic Remote is also pretty amazing to use alongside the app.

The new enhancements to the Step Sequencer seem really cool. We have way too many cool toys nowadays. So much fun :)

Going to have to dive in to the Spatial Audio Deep End for this...wish other players supported the file format...but hey, you have to start somewhere.

• @ruggedsmooth said:

@uncledave said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

Yeah finally got that sorted I think thanks.
    But then I realized you need BigSur for the update, and my iMac seems to be the last model to get shafted lol. :'(
    Guess I better start saving my pennies for one of the new M1 machines

Ah, I had a suspicion that Big Sur was going to be needed. Oh well, guess I’m on 10.6.whatever it is for a while. Luckily the latest 10.6 point release is working well for everything I do.

I just saw that the new m1 pro and m1 Max models came out, but they’re out of my price range so when I’m ready to update the regular m1 will be what I go for. Since I’ve been mixing on a 2012 mbp for a while the regular m1 will still be a huge step up. Maybe in a year or so, still trying to recover from pandemic related income loss.

• Has anyone who is actively making music in Atmos found that the new LPX update of a couple of days ago has buggered up their Atmos projects?

First, the update makes the prior Atmos plugin obsolete and brings a new one. But it doesn't simply swap them out, it puts a disabled exclamation mark in the prior Atmos plugin in the master out, and hopes you’ll go and find the new one (which is in a different place in the plugins list).

Doing that made everything sound crap - crunchy, loads missing.

I was so pissed off I scrapped all the Atmos projects I've been working on the past few months.

I started a new Atmos project and brought in the audio recordings and their associated channel strips from a finished non-Atmos project, and things are better, but nowhere near correct. Odd random blips of another mixer channel will crack through even when only one (other, unrelated, non-shared sends) channel is the only one soloed.

Worst of all, I now realise that none of the object tracks are making it through to my headphones for rendering – I now simply can't hear any object track at all!

If I make a final ADMBWF and open it in Audacity (which you can – it’ll all be in mono unless you manually pan things, but all the bed (first 10 tracks) and object tracks are there in the correct order that they were in LPX. Playing that shows that the object tracks are intact (but I've no way of monitoring them so the levels are guesswork).

And before anyone suggests “have you tried ‘x’” or “maybe it's your environment” or “have you turned it off and on again” this is a drastic change since the update, and I’m doing everything absolutely correctly at my end. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this missing object nonsense.

• @u0421793 said:
    Has anyone who is actively making music in Atmos found that the new LPX update of a couple of days ago has buggered up their Atmos projects?

First, the update makes the prior Atmos plugin obsolete and brings a new one. But it doesn't simply swap them out, it puts a disabled exclamation mark in the prior Atmos plugin in the master out, and hopes you’ll go and find the new one (which is in a different place in the plugins list).

I was so pissed off I scrapped all the Atmos projects I've been working on the past few months.

I started a new Atmos project and brought in the audio recordings and their associated channel strips from a finished non-Atmos project, and things are better, but nowhere near correct. Odd random blips of another mixer channel will crack through even when only one (other, unrelated, non-shared sends) channel is the only one soloed.

Worst of all, I now realise that none of the object tracks are making it through to my headphones for rendering – I now simply can't hear any object track at all!

If I make a final ADMBWF and open it in Audacity (which you can – it’ll all be in mono unless you manually pan things, but all the bed (first 10 tracks) and object tracks are there in the correct order that they were in LPX. Playing that shows that the object tracks are intact (but I've no way of monitoring them so the levels are guesswork).

And before anyone suggests “have you tried ‘x’” or “maybe it's your environment” or “have you turned it off and on again” this is a drastic change since the update, and I’m doing everything absolutely correctly at my end. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this missing object nonsense.

It's crap that you're experiencing this - it definitely sounds like something to bring to Apple's attention. Is there an email address for bugs and feedback?

• @u0421793 said:
    Has anyone who is actively making music in Atmos found that the new LPX update of a couple of days ago has buggered up their Atmos projects?

This sounds like an issue an engineer from Apple would want to address with you one-on-one. Try to appeal to someone directly at Apple by calling them.

• As this is another old zombie thread maybe the recently released 10.7.5 updates has already fixed the OPs issues?

• @Samu said:
    As this is another old zombie thread maybe the recently released 10.7.5 updates has already fixed the OPs issues?

But it looks like u0421793's issue is new.

• @NeuM said:

Atmos stuff bogs down my 3Ghz 6-Core i5 MacMini to almost halt so I've not bothered to check that portion of Logic.

There are some underlying Core Audio optimizations made with macOS Ventura so that could be a factor as it's the first time Apple allows a newer version of Logic to run on an older macOS version.

For me I'm still puzzled that there's no direct 'midi bounce' (ie. directly bounce a midi-clip thru AUv3 midi-effects).
    I have to either record straight thru midi effects or record the output to another midi track.

Maybe 10.7.6 will add this as it's apparently a quite heavily requested feature...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

Atmos stuff bogs down my 3Ghz 6-Core i5 MacMini to almost halt so I've not bothered to check that portion of Logic.

That doesn’t surprise me – on my MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9) it’s borderline sometimes. The latest LPX documentation I’m ploughing through suggests IO Buffer size of 512 for 48KHz projects and 1024 for 96KHz (as the Atmos output ADMBWF and therefore the Atmos renderer for speakers/headphones in real time will have to down convert or up convert everything to 48KHz only). On the few projects I’m on which are 44.1KHz (prob because I started them using an iPad synth connected over Lightning > USB to Logic – I did that often) I’ve now taken the trouble to force Logic to up convert all the audio recordings to 48KHz to ease the real-time monitoring, which was crunching all over the place sometimes).

Ironically this whole area of Logic would probably be ideal running on an M1 iPad (which I don't have)

• @u0421793 said:

Ironically this whole area of Logic would probably be ideal running on an M1 iPad (which I don't have)

Yeah, that's the irony...
    I've got more CPU power on the damned M1 iPad but I feel more 'productive' on the MacMini due to Renoise & Logic...

I can barely run a few instances of the Moog apps (Model D, Model 15 & Animoog Z) on the Intel Mini while the iPad doesn't seem to sweat after 10+ Instances of Model D, 4-5 instances of Animoog Z and still plenty of CPU left for Model 15 instances.

I guess it's the same deal on the M1 MacMini so when the M2 Mini's start to appear I'll make a serious consideration on getting one...

Oh well, I'd be in Nirvana/Heaven or any other magical/mythical place when Logic drops for iPad...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@u0421793 said:

I've got more CPU power on the damned M1 iPad but I feel more 'productive' on the MacMini due to Renoise & Logic...

I can barely run a few instances of the Moog apps (Model D, Model 15 & Animoog Z) on the Intel Mini while the iPad doesn't seem to sweat after 10+ Instances of Model D, 4-5 instances of Animoog Z and still plenty of CPU left for Model 15 instances.

I guess it's the same deal on the M1 MacMini so when the M2 Mini's start to appear I'll make a serious consideration on getting one...

Oh well, I'd be in Nirvana/Heaven or any other magical/mythical place when Logic drops for iPad...

Cheers!

@samu exactly my issue aswell running a late 2013 MBP would love more CPU grunt so easy to hit the limit with todays latest plugins. But love Logic and Bitwig.

• edited November 2022

from the new features section:

"Smart Tempo
    Analysis of audio files and recordings have been significantly improved with a new ML-based system"

I'm not a fan of Apple's marketing bullshit, but credit where credit is due: finally a company that does not feel compelled to call everything AI, when what is actually happening is mostly ML.

In other news, I'm wondering if and how its new Ableton Link support will work with apps on a connected iPad.

• @Samu said:

@u0421793 said:

Cheers!

I think you are going to love Logic when you get to the M2. On an M1 Air it’s beautiful. One recommendation is to have at least 16GB RAM. I have 8GB and it’s OK, but there are times I notice it would be nice to have a little more especially with software instruments.