Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I Love My New Behringer CMD MM-1 (A Gem at a low price)

I often read ads on Kijiji (Ebay) and Reverb. Sometimes, I find gems at ridiculous price. My new purchase is a Behringer CMD MM-1.

Yes, it works great with iOS even though it's not design for that in mind.

The knobs feels great. All knobs are mappable except the knobs if the middle (BROWSE) that you only can send 0 and 127 signal (a kind of on and off switch).

All button (1, 2 CUE, etc) are sending midi note and not CC, I don't know why. It's the only downside.

AND, this thing can be use as a USB Power HUB. You must use a power supply with your CMD MM-1, but you can power 4 USB midi controllers with that.

I got one for 40 Canadians dollars. Pretty sure you can find these things at 25USD$ if you are lucky.

Grab one if you can! I don't know why they are not more popular.

PROS:

The unit feel solid
USB Power HUB
Not expensive
A lot of knobs that feel great
Cross fader
A lot of space between knobs
USB Class Compliant
You can customize the knobs with DJTechTools knobs that fit this unit

CONS:

Probably bigger than you might think
You need a power supply to run this thing
I am not sure that you can map the buttons

Comments

• Interesting. I don’t see any midi outputs?

• edited October 2021

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Interesting. I don’t see any midi outputs?

You output the midi via USB. The COMP is the midi output. The midi from all midi controllers (the CMD MM1 and your 4 midi controllers plugged via USB into the unit) will be output via the same output.

Others CONS:

No 5 pins midi IN and OUT

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Interesting. I don’t see any midi outputs?

You output the midi via USB. The COMP is the midi output. The midi from all midi controllers (the CMD MM1 and your 4 midi controllers plugged via USB into the unit) will be output via the same output.

Others CONS:

Ah, okay.

• @Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

but it has USB host ports so you can easily connect some USB midi interface into it to exapand it with MIDI DIN inputs and outputs, i guess ..

• @dendy said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

but it has USB host ports so you can easily connect some USB midi interface into it to exapand it with MIDI DIN inputs and outputs, i guess ..

Yes exactly. My MOTU M2 in plugged in my CMD MM-1.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@dendy said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

You mean all these years waiting for an audio interface with a hub built in, I should have been looking at things the other way round??

Thanks for the enlightenment, have now added to my eBay search - finding midi gems at low prices is also a pre-occupation of mine. iOS and portability are my main drivers, though my favourite ever ‘I can’t believe I got all this for so little’ is a Vestax vcm-600, but it’s so enormous it’s mostly tied to my desktop.

I’m going away soon for a week in an ad hoc studio. Choosing which of the obsolete and out of production children to take is going to be difficult, particularly as so many of them do pretty much the same thing. Love them all though, can’t have too many knobs :)

• edited October 2021

@steve99 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@dendy said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

You mean all these years waiting for an audio interface with a hub built in, I should have been looking at things the other way round??

Thanks for the enlightenment, have now added to my eBay search - finding midi gems at low prices is also a pre-occupation of mine. iOS and portability are my main drivers, though my favourite ever ‘I can’t believe I got all this for so little’ is a Vestax vcm-600, but it’s so enormous it’s mostly tied to my desktop.

I’m going away soon for a week in an ad hoc studio. Choosing which of the obsolete and out of production children to take is going to be difficult, particularly as so many of them do pretty much the same thing. Love them all though, can’t have too many knobs :)

I now have a subscription for the word "Vestax" on Kijiji. The cvm-600 is interesting! How much did you pay for if I can ask?

• Yeah. The good side is that you have a lot of space between the knobs. But it's less portable that way. But it's not heavy if you put it in your bag.

• edited October 2021

Why couldn't you map midi notes? You can even translate them to CC if you want.

I really really like that it works as a powered HUB, that alone makes it worth it.

edit: Oh and the browse button is just an infinite encoder if it works like that, I know GR-16 can map them.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@steve99 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@dendy said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

I now have a subscription for the word "Vestax" on Kijiji. The cvm-600 is interesting! How much did you pay for if I can ask?

£100 with a fancy case :)

• edited October 2021

@cokomairena said:

I really really like that it works as a powered HUB, that alone makes it worth it.

edit: Oh and the browse button is just an infinite encoder if it works like that, I know GR-16 can map them.

I don't know how to translate midi note in CC. But I will be more than happy to learn how. I need an app for this I guess?

The infinite encoder to browse is for selecting presets on a list on certain software. But when I tested it with an app like "Midi Spy" (I think it's the name of the app), each time I turn left, the midi CC is 0 and each time I turn right, the midi CC is 127. I bet I can find a better use for that, but I only see it as an ON and OFF switch.

GR-16 can map them? Wow, I will try it, I have GR-16 on my iPad.

• @steve99 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@steve99 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@dendy said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Others CONS:

£100 with a fancy case :)

For this price I will take it :)

• @Montreal_Music said:

@cokomairena said:

I don't know how to translate midi note in CC. But I will be more than happy to learn how. I need an app for this I guess?

The infinite encoder to browse is for selecting presets on a list on certain software. But when I tested it with an app like "Midi Spy" (I think it's the name of the app), each time I turn left, the midi CC is 0 and each time I turn right, the midi CC is 127. I bet I can find a better use for that, but I only see it as an ON and OFF switch.

GR-16 can map them? Wow, I will try it, I have GR-16 on my iPad.

The encoder should send a lot of "0" when turning left and a lot of "127" when turning right, you should be able to map it to the GR.16 enconder or any other knob just triple clicking on them to enter midi map mode

For transforming note to CC you should look into streambyter.

• I'm still reading ads hunting musical gear.

I found this:

I have no plan in buying this, but it remind me that Yamaha release an app for iPhone with a gift inside the app: AN2015 iOS synth.

Is this an iOS version of the hardware synth?

BTW, the AN2015 sounds good to my ears and cost 0$. And it's fun to use.

I also bought a Novation Circuit at a ridiculous price. Probably because Novation release a new version of it. But the synth engine is the same in both unit.

Open your eyes folks, some people will sold their Circuit 1 at very low price if you are lucky. This thing can make A LOT of thing + it's fun.