Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event confirmed for October the 18th : New MacBook Pros?

Comments

• They’re kinda about the price I expected, more ram and CPUs than I anticipated though, I guess I’m going to have to finally get a new Mac…

• @cyberheater said:
    I've got a Macbook Air M1. Although the new Macs look amazing I'm more then happy with the performance of my Air so I've no real desire to upgrade just yet. The eye watering price doesn't help. LOL.

Same but the 120Hz, better mic, better speakers, more ports, better specs everywhere.....ah....my wallet (and wife) says no. Also I am pretty sure I have to save some money for the new Spectrasonics release(s) they show tomorrow.

• @cyberheater said:
    The eye watering price doesn't help. LOL.

Didn’t take em long to get back to intel pricing. I didn’t expect them to be cheap, but I did expect a few hundred less.
    But then again, might as well pocket that difference as profit. I’m a stockholder. I can’t complain.

• They’re incredible. I don’t need a €2.5k computer though.

I bet a lot of this will come to the next MacBook Air.

• @cuscolima said:
    What about the new AirPods ! They looks very nice for someone like me who cannot wear in-ear things

Can’t deal with in-ear either. Might get these after the price drops a bit.
    Still no volume control on stem 👎

• @cyberheater said:
    I'm more then happy with the performance of my Air

Which Air model?

My old iMac 2010 begs me to let it retire. I can’t decide if I should go for the cheapest base Air or the new base 14. The price is more than double…don’t know if the lifespan is similar.

I mostly proces audio - no big VA sessions. On the other hand, I could use all the ports/SD reader in the new pro…on the other hand, I hate to carry 2.500 € in my bag everyday.

On the other hand…

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:
    The eye watering price doesn't help. LOL.

Didn’t take em long to get back to intel pricing. I didn’t expect them to be cheap, but I did expect a few hundred less.
    But then again, might as well pocket that difference as profit. I’m a stockholder. I can’t complain.

It's a bit hard to line these up with the last Intel generation, but my attempt to do this has the new machines sitting at $200 to $300 less for a similarly positioned configuration -- and that doesn't take in to account the much better display in the new machines.

@mistercharlie said:
    They’re incredible. I don’t need a €2.5k computer though.

I bet a lot of this will come to the next MacBook Air.

I'm guessing that the next Air will be an M2 type thing based on the new processors and that the next gen of Pros will get some new variety of "Pro" and "Max" CPU's (I really dislike Apple's naming schemes). So, the next Air will be a faster version of the current Air but won't get the huge uplift in GPU that the new machines have. The top end of these things are aimed at video and 3D creative work. The Air won't really need that though. Maybe the Air will get a boost in RAM though and be even better for audio.

• @ervin said:
    My pimped-up 2012 Mini

I use mine as a Plex server

• edited October 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I know a bazillion network engineers that all use MacBook pros to multiple boot multiple OSes.
    Really the same goes for a lot of people that I know who work in a predominant x86 environment who isn’t an “end user”
    While they weren’t expecting an update on those, but the news that it’s not gonna last as long as they originally anticipated is disheartening. Knowing they’re gonna have to go back to a dual laptop setup sooner than expected.

My music world isn’t dependent on it, but there is still a lot of stuff I use in vmware.

I’m sure those last model intels are gonna hold their value longer than usual.
    Personally, I was expecting to still see 1 or 2 intel model still left in the store.
    (Not that I was gonna buy one).

Been ages since I've used BootCamp, but wouldn't VMware Fusion for M1 Silicon Macs solve this issue?
    https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/10/fusion-12-2-now-available.html
    That looks like the new version Windows running in the screenshot in the article.

• I’m holding out for the M1 “Ultra” chip

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I’m holding out for the M1 “Ultra” chip

Hrmmmm...I would seriously wait for the MK Ultra Chip. :)

• The price, at least for the entry 14 is pretty good (relatively speaking)

A MacBook Air with 16G RAM and 512 GB drive is £1449

A 13” MacBook Pro with 16Gb RAM and 512 GB drive is £1699

The 14” pro with 16Gb RAM and 512 GB drive is £1899.

That’s only £200 more than the 13 Pro and you get better GPU, better, bigger screen, proMotion 120hz display, better speakers, full size function keys, all the ports we have been complaining about apple removing back where they belong and MagSafe! And a notch!! *

It’s not much more cash for that much more computer. And it’s only £167 more for work when you take VAT off.

* An app to hide the notch by moving the menu bar down under it probably won’t take too long to be released. I’ve never been bothered about the notch on the iPhone. I’m sure I can live with the notch on the MacBook Pro.

I think I’ll pass on the £19 polishing cloth though. :-/

• edited October 2021

@cyberheater said:
    I've got a Macbook Air M1. Although the new Macs look amazing I'm more then happy with the performance of my Air so I've no real desire to upgrade just yet. The eye watering price doesn't help. LOL.

The new MBP’s are clearly aimed at the upper tier of the laptop market. Those processors are about 50x more powerful than the average customer’s needs.

At this point, I can’t even imagine how much power is going to be in the new Mac Pros.

• Gagillions.

• Do the new Pros have fans? I'm guessing they do. With performance, I'm getting out of my M1 Air. Not much desire to upgrade. For these type of processors, I'm hoping for a Mac Mini refresh. Could keep M1 for portability and no fans, and get that in future for uber processing.

• @Tarekith said:
    Gagillions.

Exactly!

• @auxmux said:
    Do the new Pros have fans? I'm guessing they do. With performance, I'm getting out of my M1 Air. Not much desire to upgrade. For these type of processors, I'm hoping for a Mac Mini refresh. Could keep M1 for portability and no fans, and get that in future for uber processing.

They do have fans, but they said for most operations they won't even start up or be necessary.

• edited October 2021

@echoopera said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I know a bazillion network engineers that all use MacBook pros to multiple boot multiple OSes.
    Really the same goes for a lot of people that I know who work in a predominant x86 environment who isn’t an “end user”
    While they weren’t expecting an update on those, but the news that it’s not gonna last as long as they originally anticipated is disheartening. Knowing they’re gonna have to go back to a dual laptop setup sooner than expected.

My music world isn’t dependent on it, but there is still a lot of stuff I use in vmware.

Personally, I was expecting to still see 1 or 2 intel model still left in the store.

Been ages since I've used BootCamp, but wouldn't VMware Fusion for M1 Silicon Macs solve this issue?
    That looks like the new version Windows running in the screenshot in the article.

VMware is what I was referring to. Windows isn’t fully supported. Right now you have to run the internal build of windows for arm (ms surfaces). MS also stated they’re not interested in full ARM versions of windows either.
    Again, all of this was expected. Personally I was surprised to see the intel pros off their website already.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@echoopera said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

VMware is what I was referring to. Windows isn’t fully supported. Right now you have to run the internal build of windows for arm (ms surfaces). MS also stated they’re not interested in full ARM versions of windows either.
    Again, all of this was expected. Personally I was surprised to see the intel pros off their website already.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the info.

• The screen cracked on my 15", 2016 work laptop. I've been holding out for these to be released and using it with external monitors only. Spoke to my boss this morning. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get a new 14".

fwiw... I am super glad the touch bar has gone.

• 57 billion transistors on a single chip, that sounds like a lot :*

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    57 billion transistors on a single chip, that sounds like a lot :*

thats insane. i have no clue how they do it. alien technology

• @shinyisshiny said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    57 billion transistors on a single chip, that sounds like a lot :*

thats insane. i have no clue how they do it. alien technology

It’s pretty astounding.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@ervin said:
    My pimped-up 2012 Mini

I use mine as a Plex server

👍

• Don’t think of it as a notch, think of it as moving the menu bar into the bezel :smiley:

• edited October 2021

I think I'm going to wait to see what the next generation of Airs is like. £1,899 is too rich for my blood, and I don't 'need' one. I would be happy for an Air 2 that laughs at running intensive Ableton projects with several VSTs... that's really all I need.

• That notch is what happens when you have design by committee and no one wants to budge :)
    One day it will be gone when Apple work out a better way. I would prefer a small camera attachment which could either pop out the top when needed or can magnetically stick there rather than being trolled at having a bigger display, but actually not.

• Gone are my days of super hyped Macbook Pro's. I have a super hyped workstation already. I'll either upgrade to one of the entry-level 14's or more likely wait to see what happens with the next-gen air. These days I'm not looking for a laptop to be my hardcore production hardware.

• I'm happy that there is not yet a Mac Mini M1 Max 😅😅😅
    I could be tempted.

Would never buy such much power in a laptop, but that may be because I totally have no use for a mobile computer (beyond iPads).

And why buy a laptop that will always be closed? Mac Mini is way better for me.

• @Carnbot said:
    That notch is what happens when you have design by committee and no one wants to budge :)
    One day it will be gone when Apple work out a better way. I would prefer a small camera attachment which could either pop out the top when needed or can magnetically stick there rather than being trolled at having a bigger display, but actually not.

They could simply make the bezels a little bit larger and be finished.

On my Air 3 I am annoyed three times per day because of the small bezels - I cannot grab that thing without touching the screen.

The bezels on my Pro 9.7 are way better to me.