Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Way to block an errant modulation CC in Wizdom Music's Geosynth??

Hi, Geo Synth has gotten pretty glitchy and it seems to be abandonware at this point(?)
But I still like to use it for certain purposes instead of the newer GeoShred.

One problem I'm having with many synths (but not all, e.g. Thumbjam doesn't do this) is whenever I play most synths with Geo I get a crazy oscillating pitch modulation -up and down about every 50 milliseconds or so about 1/2 step in pitch- that ruins the sound.

One dev I mentioned this to mentioned he observed (not sure how) there was an errant CC coming continually from Geo that is causing other apps to modulate in this way.

Is there some MIDI app which can identify and block this signal? I have tried Wizdom Music but it seems they aren't responding about GeoSynth.

The sound patches in Geosynthesizer -some of which I particularly like- are also extremely glitchy. If you try to use Geo as Inter-app and put a different reverb on it than the inferior one in the app the patch "crashes" and is infused with horrible clipping / distortion.

This use to be a great app; even GeoShred which is very good is not an effective replacement, for me, for some of the things I learned to do with it, like changing snap during a performance etc.

Comments

• Hi @UrbanNinja You can use a MIDI monitor like the free MIDIWrench to see what MIDI messages are floating around when Geo Synth is running. This would be the first test, to understand what's happening.

If you're working inside Audiobus or AUM, you could use StreamByter to block this from reaching your other apps. This will vary with different apps, because some listen directly to CoreMIDI, even when running as AUv3.

If you're not using a host app, MIDIFire is a MIDI router that can control the data reaching different apps.

• @uncledave said:
    Hi @UrbanNinja You can use a MIDI monitor like the free MIDIWrench to see what MIDI messages are floating around when Geo Synth is running. This would be the first test, to understand what's happening.

If you're working inside Audiobus or AUM, you could use StreamByter to block this from reaching your other apps. This will vary with different apps, because some listen directly to CoreMIDI, even when running as AUv3.

If you're not using a host app, MIDIFire is a MIDI router that can control the data reaching different apps.

Also, in next AUM update will be a built in CC filter so you can choose which CCs to block or pass.

• @UrbanNinja I wonder if Geo Synth has some sort of LFO feature that may be sending this modulation. Could you maybe turn it off, or change the channel that it sends on?

• edited October 2021

Thanks guys; downloaded MIDI Wrench and will await the next AUM update to try the forthcoming CC filter!

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@UrbanNinja said:
    Thanks guys; downloaded MIDI Wrench and will await the next AUM update to try the forthcoming CC filter!

There’s no real need to wait. One line of code in a Streambyter script can fix it. Or if that’s too daunting, mfxConvert can fix it with no code for $2.99.

• @UrbanNinja said:

Could you let us know what you see Geo Synth sending? We might have some suggestions based on exactly what is happening.

• Can anyone reproduce this "bug" based on the details offered? What's the CC number in question?
    Does that mention of pitch variation provide a clue that it's a standardized CC for Mod Wheel (CC = 1) maybe?

Slow news day.

• edited October 2021

@uncledave said:

@UrbanNinja said:

Could you let us know what you see Geo Synth sending? We might have some suggestions based on exactly what is happening.

Geo controlling Module Pro; one single note slide

MIDIWrench

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

It looks like you’re getting simultaneous channel pressure and mod wheel messages. If you can’t disable this in the app then blocking channel pressure and CC1 (modulation) should do it.

Streambyter with the following code will block these:

# Block channel pressure
    DX = XX +B
    # Block modulation (CC 1)
    BX 01 = XX +B

After placing the code in Streambyter be sure to tap "Install Rules". Send the output of Geo Synth to Streambyter, not the app you're controlling. Then send Streambyter to the app.

Better of course to disable inside the app itself if you can.

• edited October 2021

@wim said:
    It looks like you’re getting simultaneous channel pressure and mod wheel messages. If you can’t disable this in the app then blocking channel pressure and CC1 (modulation) should do it.

Streambyter with the following code will block these:

# Block channel pressure
    DX = XX +B
    # Block modulation (CC 1)
    BX 01 = XX +B

After placing the code in Streambyter be sure to tap "Install Rules". Send the output of Geo Synth to Streambyter, not the app you're controlling. Then send Streambyter to the app.

Better of course to disable inside the app itself if you can.

This worked; given what we discovered via MIDI Wrench I also tried this:

In Geo > MIDI Config I doscovered > MIDI Destinations was set to CC#1 (whence the modulation problem); I changed this setting to CC#0 in Geo -this of itself seems to have ameliorated the modulation problem with Module Pro with Streambyter swiped off.

Checking old notes on Geo I had noted Geo is sending CC7 channel pressure information that was "jamming" Thumbjam which I had resolved and proceeded to forget about by turning off Handling Channel Pressure and Key Pressure in TJ.

Thanks so much for all the help! You guys are the best!!!

• Glad you got it sorted. B)

• Post a track with this app. We don’t hear it enough these days.