Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro: Limited public beta now open

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am starting to get very curious about the timeline / song buildy part of this majestic beast.

You will not be disappointed. The sequencer view gives you a full timeline.

I saw in the video that it autolooped clips which is nice but can you have a variety of clips (or takes?) on a 'track' or is this all crazy olde paradigm talk?

• @celtic_elk said:
    @LostInFoundation Glad to hear I wasn’t far off! If you’re willing, I’d be very interested to hear about the logic behind your design choices for this session. How do you see yourself using this particular set of controls in practice? And what’s going on with the pads and stuff to the right of the loops, exactly?

The logic was…”so easy to set up that I try this one and eventually change things when I’ll find something isn’t practical” 😂
    (For example the button grid 4x4 are not so easy to use at this size, even if this was designed for an iPad Pro 12.9)

The pads at the right of the loops are “row launchers” (ala Ableton, and now you get also from where all of the design was inspired by)
    The Dials are for controlling effects and the same is valid for the xy pads.

Anyway…everything is still in “build stage”, even because I have many questions for Michael on how to achieve some things, but I don’t want to disturb him now, cause his job now is to find the bugs so that you all can have the final product ready as soon as possible. My personal requests will come later 😉

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am starting to get very curious about the timeline / song buildy part of this majestic beast.

I saw in the video that it autolooped clips which is nice but can you have a variety of clips (or takes?) on a 'track' or is this all crazy olde paradigm talk?

Comping is on the roadmap, but not in there for 1.0

• edited October 2021

@Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:
    (ps @Michael : when I send it to you I said it was copyrighted…you should have mention me eheheh)

Haha!

yes, the buttons in the “mixer” part are for solo/mute…the only problem is that for the moment I haven’t found the option for “mute” under the “Press” menu…only solo.
    Is it me or you just forgot it? ;)

Hehe, Loopy calls mute "stop", so you'll find it in the play/stop actions

@Michael I tried your solution, but it isn’t practical: if I go in the “play/stop menu” and I set the button to mute, it will mute but not unmute it at the second press; if I set it to toggle it will launch ALL the loops in the column, not only the one that was playing before the mute was pushed.
    A “true” mute maybe would be more practical
    Maybe it is behaving like this because of the way I set things before…I will study it better tomorrow (it’s 2:30 AM here now…and I spent the whole day with the…how @echoopera called it?…GLOW effect of loopy flashing my eyes…I need some rest now 😂)
    This and some other things…like the row launcher buttons I set up that don’t behave like I want (I set them to launch color groups, but when I use them during the session they launch the loops that where playing before and not ALL of them independently of which ones where stopped before)
    But as I said…these are behaviors and not bugs, so we will discuss them later, when your job on bugs will not be the most important thing

• @LostInFoundation said:

@Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:
    (ps @Michael : when I send it to you I said it was copyrighted…you should have mention me eheheh)

Haha!

yes, the buttons in the “mixer” part are for solo/mute…the only problem is that for the moment I haven’t found the option for “mute” under the “Press” menu…only solo.

@Michael I tried your solution, but it isn’t practical: if I go in the “play/stop menu” and I set the button to mute, it will mute but not unmute it at the second press; if I set it to toggle it will launch ALL the loops in the column, not only the one that was playing before the mute was pushed.
    Maybe it is behaving like this because of the way I set things before…I will study it better tomorrow (it’s 2:30 AM here now…and I spent the whole day with the…how @echoopera called it?…GLOW effect of loopy flashing my eyes…I need some rest now 😂)
    This and some other things…like the row launcher buttons I set up that don’t behave like I want (I set them to launch color groups, but when I use them during the session they launch the loops that where playing before and not ALL of them independently of which ones where stopped before)
    But as I said…these are behaviors and not bugs, so we will discuss them later, when your job on bugs will not be the most important thing

Ah, got it. Okay, let me think about that.

• @Michael said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

Comping is on the roadmap, but not in there for 1.0

Ahh sweet!

• @Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:

@Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:

Haha!

Ah, got it. Okay, let me think about that.

If you need some of this suggestions too, tell me and I’ll write you EVRYTHING I find…otherwise for the moment I’ll stick to only reporting bugs to help you not being submerged by too many inputs

• edited October 2021

@LostInFoundation said:
    If you need some of this suggestions too, tell me and I’ll write you EVRYTHING I find…otherwise for the moment I’ll stick to only reporting bugs to help you not being submerged by too many inputs

No need to hold back; if I decide not to act on it immediately, it just goes into another folder. But do email me separately to this thread, I find it time-consuming and difficult to track stuff posted here.

• @Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:

No need to hold back; if I decide not to act on it immediately, it just goes into another folder. But do email me separately to this thread, I find it time-consuming and difficult to track stuff posted here.

Yes I understand…and I am already doing it with the reports I sent you for the bugs…just came here cause I saw people discussing my layout and then started chatting about it…that’s why I never wrote here before even if I check this forum daily from years…I know myself…and having an account now and the possibility to write could be VERY dangerous for my free time 😂😂😂

• edited October 2021

@Michael

Anyway…just one last thing about Loopy Pro;

THANK YOU!!!

• edited October 2021

@LostInFoundation said:

I'm convinced! I'm gonna add this

@LostInFoundation said:
    Yes I understand…and I am already doing it with the reports I sent you for the bugs…just came here cause I saw people discussing my layout and then started chatting about it…that’s why I never wrote here before even if I check this forum daily from years…I know myself…and having an account now and the possibility to write could be VERY dangerous for my free time 😂😂😂

👌

Thank you!

• edited October 2021

@LostInFoundation said:

@Michael said:

@LostInFoundation said:

Haha!

Thanks for confirming the GLOW effect. I am just thinking that it might produce a lot of unnecessary eye fatigue when using it because of the visual style.

We stare at the screen for very long stretches and if our eyes are constantly having to focus and unfocus because of an effect it is not good for the user. I hope there’s a setting to turn it off so the UI is sharp and beautiful without this effect.

I know it will be an accessibility issue for some users. Effects like this always are.

I am sure there is also a little bit of a graphics performance hit because of the shader being used even if it is Metal, Core Image or some other framework to being used to achieve the effect.

I’m all about aesthetics but i am raising it as a potential issue because of eye strain and visual fatigue.

• @echoopera said:
    Just curious if the GLOW effect is so pronounced throughout the UI? It makes me feel like i have cataracts or need to wipe my screen with wipes to remove the smudges left by my 3 year old after they ate a pumpkin pie with their fingers and immediately grabbed my iPad from me.

This comment and Michael's a bit further down seem to indicate it might be configurable at some point: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/915827/#Comment_915827

• @wim said:

@echoopera said:
    Just curious if the GLOW effect is so pronounced throughout the UI? It makes me feel like i have cataracts or need to wipe my screen with wipes to remove the smudges left by my 3 year old after they ate a pumpkin pie with their fingers and immediately grabbed my iPad from me.

This comment and Michael's a bit further down seem to indicate it might be configurable at some point: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/915827/#Comment_915827

Oh good. I really hope so. The UI is beautiful but this effect gets in the way since it’s used everywhere.

What’s the saying, “Salt is great, but too much of it and you’re tasting ocean water.”

• Yep, I'm not insensitive to this. It's an ongoing process. Need to balance eye-catchingness (important for marketing etc) with plain usability. At the least, I'll add an option to disable, but I'm hoping to tweak it to remove any undesirable aspects.

• I guess it's not easy to make adjustable then eh?

• @wim said:
    I guess it's not easy to make adjustable then eh?

Sure it is, but I don't think that's the point - if the UI style has got usability problems, then they need to be fixed, rather than make the user turn them off manually.

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@Michael said:

@wim said:
    I guess it's not easy to make adjustable then eh?

Sure it is, but I don't think that's the point - if the UI style has got usability problems, then they need to be fixed, rather than make the user turn them off manually.

I don't follow the logic there. UI preferences are completely subjective. I don't care how good it is, some people are gonna hate the glow, some are going to think it's great but overdone, others are going to wish for more. Some small percentage are going to think it's just right.

But, I'll leave it there. You're the expert, and I'm not UI sensitive as long as things work. I tend to notice a UI for about as long as it takes to recognize one piece from another, then totally forget about it. Others, not so much. ;)

• Anyone running it on an Air 1 that can comment on how it runs on that? Been curious about it cos that’s my only iPad right now

• FWIW, I’ve spent long sessions with Loopy Pro and never grew fatigued due to visual strain or sensory overload. As I said previously i sometimes sit and stare at the screen because the visuals are so engaging.

• edited October 2021

@lukesleepwalker said:
    FWIW, I’ve spent long sessions with Loopy Pro and never grew fatigued due to visual strain or sensory overload. As I said previously i sometimes sit and stare at the screen because the visuals are so engaging.

Good to hear. I’m just going off of still screen shots, so it’s hard to really tell, but i thought it wise to bring it up. 👍🏼

• The glow is actually quite nice IMO. I was going crazy with the UI pulsing in time to the clock, though, until I thought to switch it off.

Exploring the timeline now and it’s pretty wild. You can drop sections on empty tracks, arm them, and they will record when you get to them. Along with individual track routing, this is already fantastic. I think you can also auto-slice the recordings, although I don’t think you can pre-sequence those slices yet.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Exploring the timeline now and it’s pretty wild. You can drop sections on empty tracks, arm them, and they will record when you get to them. Along with individual track routing, this is already fantastic. I think you can also auto-slice the recordings, although I don’t think you can pre-sequence those slices yet.

You can, by dropping in sections and adjusting the start/end points, but it's far, far easier to record them using the sequence recorder. Got some fixes for that coming in the next build, incidentally.

• In other news, fuckit, added a setting to Settings app:

• edited October 2021

Guys…here are some of the suggestions I would like to email to Michael…tell me if somebody else is interested in them so I can understand if these are things of public utility

1 - The ability to drag and drop from Files directly on one loop
    2 - The ability to offset one loop by rotating 2 fingers on it (like Loopy HD did)
    3 - The option for “long press” as a gesture (you have many other gestures to chose from…but long press is a “natural” one in my opinion)
    4 - The option to set the length of a loop by using one menu that appears on the loop with a gesture on it
    5 - Some more options for Retrospective recordings (what a function!) like “how many bars do I have to retrospect?” (at the moment it prints a loop depending on the number of bars set in the “Time” menu)

Let’s start with these ones…for the moment 😏

Some of them are already doable in some other ways (like the loop length of course), but I think one of the strengths of Loopy was the immediacy of doing things RIGHT THERE without opening too many side menus…it would be a pity to lose it completely (even if some more menu diving is understandable since the depth of this new Loopy…in the end we do want to deal with a PRO version, don’t we? 😉)

Ah…and of course…
    6 - A MANUAL (to discover many of these things can already be achieved in some way 😂😂😂)

Edit: …and Audiobus and AB Remote integration…but I don’t know if he can find an agreement with Audiobus developer 😏😂

• @LostInFoundation said:
    Guys…here are some of the suggestions I would like to email to Michael…tell me if somebody else is interested in them so I can understand if these are things of public utility

1 - The ability to drag and drop from Files directly on one loop

Already on the roadmap

2 - The ability to offset one loop by rotating 2 fingers on it (like Loopy HD did)

Ditto

3 - The option for “long press” as a gesture (you have many other gestures to chose from…but long press is a “natural” one in my opinion)

I'd be cool with that; it'd stop you being able to hold the track down and release it when you're ready to record/etc, which you can right now, but as long as it's not default behaviour it'd be fine.

Edit: …and Audiobus and AB Remote integration…but I don’t know if he can find an agreement with Audiobus developer 😏😂

Haha. Well, it does work with AB, as an AUv3. IAA is deprecated so I'm unlikely to support that.

• edited October 2021

@Michael

Wow…I didn’t yet discover the “hold it and release when you’re ready to record” function…very cool (too many things to discover in this BEAST 😉).
    Maybe it could be done with 2 fingers long press, since 2 fingers is already the “record” default setting.
    Anyway, the “long press” in the gestures menu could allow us to decide what we want to do with it, like for all other gestures (even if I’m quite sure in the end we will all keep the cool “release when you’re ready” feature 😂)

But I was sure the “already on the road map” answer would have come out…you thought this app so well that you know all the ins and outs like if you were…well…his developer 😂…and one of those developers that takes maaaaany years to think of his baby veeeeery good 😂

About the Audiobus integration: is it possible to open the same Loopy pro session on different lanes? For the moment it seems to open every time a different instance. I would like to open one Loopy pro and tell audiobus “the first lane records on this loop, the second one on this other” etc etc.

I know you can do this all inside of loopy pro, but it would be one more way to work with it (and allow iaa, since audiobus still work with these apps)

And about AB remote…since you didn’t even mention it…is it abandoned? I know maybe not too many people use it, but the people who do (like me) find a GREAT utility in it…I can’t express how GOOD it is to start a loopy recording on AB remote on one iPad full screen while the main iPad can keep the app producing the sounds on the foreground 😶 (even if this way of doing things could be abandoned once I start testing Loopy pro with my Launchpad X and all the other controllers I have…but…you know…put 2 iPads in the backpack and you have a VERY portable set without the hustle of cables and Apple’s beloved dongles…)

• I predict one thing loopy pro will be used for is to create custom control surfaces for other apps. There is a huge graphic and routing flexibility as well as grouping.

This, with extensive touch options is going to be amazing.

Dust off your old devices to use as control surfaces!

This is all very good

• edited October 2021

@supadom said:
    I predict one thing loopy pro will be used for is to create custom control surfaces for other apps. There is a huge graphic and routing flexibility as well as grouping.

This, with extensive touch options is going to be amazing.

Dust off your old devices to use as control surfaces!

This is all very good

Completely agree!
    I’m already designing some other layouts just for the “MIDI Controller” aspect
    Grrrrr…if only Maschine allowed better midi mappings…my Maschine Jam would be relegated in the studio and only my MK3 would come out with me, my iPad and my Surface