Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro: Limited public beta now open

Comments

• How’s the ‘look back recording’ working out? (I think that was its final name). This is one of the main things I am looking forward to experimenting with. I imagine that it’s a lot of fun. How does it integrate with the timeline?

• edited October 2021

@tahiche here’s the latest proof of concept. Once @Michael adds auv3 multi out, we’re basically there.

• @robosardine said:
    How’s the ‘look back recording’ working out? (I think that was its final name). This is one of the main things I am looking forward to experimenting with. I imagine that it’s a lot of fun. How does it integrate with the timeline?

Oh, it's FABULOUS! It's a killer feature all by itself, IMHO. One thing I learned from the beta test discussion on Slack is that you can assign the retrospective recording to a specific gesture so that you can basically do both "normal looping" (tap to start) and retrospective looping with another gesture like swipe down or something. It is so nice to have that option when something unexpected happens and you're like "dang, I need that". Just swipe down and it's there.

• @gregsmith said:
    @tahiche here’s the latest proof of concept. Once @Michael adds auv3 multi out, we’re basically there.

Super cool, I also like this AUM modularity!! 👏

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@robosardine said:
    How’s the ‘look back recording’ working out? (I think that was its final name). This is one of the main things I am looking forward to experimenting with. I imagine that it’s a lot of fun. How does it integrate with the timeline?

Oh, it's FABULOUS! It's a killer feature all by itself, IMHO. One thing I learned from the beta test discussion on Slack is that you can assign the retrospective recording to a specific gesture so that you can basically do both "normal looping" (tap to start) and retrospective looping with another gesture like swipe down or something. It is so nice to have that option when something unexpected happens and you're like "dang, I need that". Just swipe down and it's there.

Ah… super. Just what I was hoping to hear. That sounds just dandy! Thanks…. all I have to do now is wait a little longer 😐

• @robosardine said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@robosardine said:

Ah… super. Just what I was hoping to hear. That sounds just dandy! Thanks…. all I have to do now is wait a little longer 😐

Yeah, I don't want to jinx it but the pace at which Michael is knocking down bugs is super-human. If he continues like this I predict he'll hit his target for release.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wingwizard said:
    Hi. Could I ask people testing if this looks like it could become the ios daw? Ive used auria but in truth it’s a bit of a mess and nothing feels built for iOS. I’d love a Simole to use but really full featured daw

Loopy Pro is not intended at this time to be a replacement for something like Auria Pro. It has some great features for doing linear sequencing but isn't intended to do the same sort of detail work one does in something like Auria.

It really depends on what features you need/use and what you consider full-featured. If you are looking for something that has the full feature sets of Logic or Reaper or Digital Performer or Cubase or Ableton in one app that is unlikely to happen on iOS any time soon. The economics just aren't there.

That is, however, where I’d like to take Loopy, for no other reason than the fun of it. At least, I’ll want the best parts of those workflows in Loopy, integrated in a nice way. It maybe doesn’t make sense to go quite as deep as Live does, just from a usability perspective.

@mistercharlie said:
    The best thing about a DAW for me is that it’s so easy to drop in audio, drag it around, and fine-tune it. Loopy Pro doesn’t really do any of that.

Depends on your needs, though.

But for looping with a timeline it’s just great.

Yeah, not just yet, but that’s a reasonably high priority for me, post release (although not at the expense of the performance -centred features)

@wim said:
    To me the dream is a looping workflow as indistinguishable as possible when I switch between recorded instruments, such as a guitar, voice, and midi instruments. If that can be achieved with excellent integration with Atom 2, LK, and the like, that suits me. But I expect the workflow will be different and probably more complicated. I just really want it seamlessly integrated and distraction free.

Scope creep will undoubtedly try to work its way in with midi clip support. IMO it should be pure and simply record and playback all midi (notes and all other controllers) with the minimum common features that audio loops have. No piano roll editor, etc.

I do hope midi looping comes at some point (as Michael has indicated is the plan).

I will definitely be adding a piano role editor etc. Feature creep, in the case of Loopy Pro, is something I’m less concerned about then with other apps, just because of the modular design. Perhaps that’s delusion speaking 😄 This is a project I most certainly plan to spend the next decade on as well as the last one.

• @Michael : that’s great news that Loopy Pro is headed into DAW replacement territory in the long run. It’s much needed.

For the back burner: one of the biggest holes in iOS DAWs is lack of robust/mature time and tempo tracks. NS2 does a reasonable job of it. Auria Pro is good with it for audio-only projects but has problems if you mess with the tempo map after MIDI has been recorded.

• edited October 2021

@Michael said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am starting to get very curious about the timeline / song buildy part of this majestic beast.

You will not be disappointed. The sequencer view gives you a full timeline.

I saw in the video that it autolooped clips which is nice but can you have a variety of clips (or takes?) on a 'track' or is this all crazy olde paradigm talk?

Comping is on the roadmap, but not in there for 1.0

@Michael : There’s a “roadmap”? There’s gonna be more?? Just when I was getting frustrated w some of the ios shenanigans this thing comes along . I swear it’s a good reason to get into iPad music production in and of itself . I can’t even begin to imagine where this thing will be in 4 or 5 years. Again, thanks for all your incredible ingenuity and work.

• Thank you!

• edited October 2021

@Michael said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wingwizard said:
    Hi. Could I ask people testing if this looks like it could become the ios daw? Ive used auria but in truth it’s a bit of a mess and nothing feels built for iOS. I’d love a Simole to use but really full featured daw

Loopy Pro is not intended at this time to be a replacement for something like Auria Pro. It has some great features for doing linear sequencing but isn't intended to do the same sort of detail work one does in something like Auria.

It really depends on what features you need/use and what you consider full-featured. If you are looking for something that has the full feature sets of Logic or Reaper or Digital Performer or Cubase or Ableton in one app that is unlikely to happen on iOS any time soon. The economics just aren't there.

That is, however, where I’d like to take Loopy, for no other reason than the fun of it. At least, I’ll want the best parts of those workflows in Loopy, integrated in a nice way. It maybe doesn’t make sense to go quite as deep as Live does, just from a usability perspective.

@mistercharlie said:
    The best thing about a DAW for me is that it’s so easy to drop in audio, drag it around, and fine-tune it. Loopy Pro doesn’t really do any of that.

Yeah, not just yet, but that’s a reasonably high priority for me, post release (although not at the expense of the performance -centred features)

@wim said:
    To me the dream is a looping workflow as indistinguishable as possible when I switch between recorded instruments, such as a guitar, voice, and midi instruments. If that can be achieved with excellent integration with Atom 2, LK, and the like, that suits me. But I expect the workflow will be different and probably more complicated. I just really want it seamlessly integrated and distraction free.

Scope creep will undoubtedly try to work its way in with midi clip support. IMO it should be pure and simply record and playback all midi (notes and all other controllers) with the minimum common features that audio loops have. No piano roll editor, etc.

I do hope midi looping comes at some point (as Michael has indicated is the plan).

I will definitely be adding a piano role editor etc. Feature creep, in the case of Loopy Pro, is something I’m less concerned about then with other apps, just because of the modular design. Perhaps that’s delusion speaking 😄 This is a project I most certainly plan to spend the next decade on as well as the last one.

Thanks Michael. Enjoyed reading this. :) I’m coming at it from a different angle to most as I dont make loop based music, found the whole ableton scenes view or whatever it is realllllly counter intuitive and always have to relearn what the hell im even looking at in relation to a song when I try gadget. I write multi tracked songs, orchestral parts, piano pieces, vocals, pop. Guitar parts etc, so the dream for me on iOS (and before on pc) has always been a very very simple and aesthetically pleasing (not busy/ugly) daw.

I felt like maybe a new approach might be a winning one in terms of this and I really like how your app looks. I’ll add some of my feelings in case they’re pf any use:

• I’m a writer and songwriter and for the software I use the MAIN thing overwhelmingly is simplicity (I have a lot of ideas and I really want my app to just be there, be quiet, and elegantly allow me to organise stuff). I use scrivener for writing and am in love with it, so to this end, I can’t stand working with daws everyone else loves, I don’t need to have the backend in my face, so to speak, I don’t want récréations of ugly mixing panels with hundreds of controls. Of course everything needs to be there but I never use advanced bus controls channel strip stuff. I think maybe being able to adjust what is on the front end is good because for me what I really need is:

• timeline with tracks, very easy to record enable and punch in loop sections not hunting round for weird controls and button combinations like almost all daws.

• Very very easy to drag drop copy paste and alter volume and stuff with automation, midi piano roll thingy
    • Very easy to find and add freeze au and other effects
    • a mixer bit where I can rebalance volumes

That’s it. I do the rest (obv I’m sure there are tons of other things that are important but I find them just a forest of ‘in the way’ 99 percent of the time I’m only using the above. This is my main problem with other daws. Here’s a few user notes on them, sorry if this isn’t of interest but just the perspective of a songwriter, and years of never finding a daw I like.

• cubasis. Hate it. Looks like a pre club bar for metros 👀. I wanted ti like it as it looks simole but really weird ways of selecting songs etc in the menu, and I cannot stand the look. I think a lot of people are into EDM house Etc. I’m not. Horses for courses but I hateeeee that whole aesthetic and find it suffocating and unpleasant to work in. I’m a musician and just want a pretty simole powerful daw

• Auria pro. This should be the best as it’s designed for musicians and songwriters but in reality it’s a mess. Menus are ok but feel like they’re for a pc mouse setup. Maybe that’ll be better now I use a mouse too, weird design though feels amateur. The biggest problem by far - it doesn’t work, it crashes constantly, all the time on all iOS versions ive had for me. I know others have diff experiences. This is without fx or overloading. Not reliable. It’s ugly as hell grey and complicated to do very simole things or at least counter intuitive and I need to relearn basic stuff every time like setting a loop section.

• I hated logic on pc because it again put all the ugly complicated tangly connecty boring stuff as the front end. I’m a music I want to record music I’m nkt an engineer, i know you need a bit of bith to produce your stuff but I feel there is nkt enough UNDERSTANIDNG of this from programmers who seem to forget musicians are not programmers and there used to be more musicians who need to produce than producers who need to make music - prob changing

• able ton. Hate it. Just loops based. Can use traditional view but feels like again some dance music app. Liked the timbral synth thing. Always felt out of place in there and constructed,

• I ended up using the ancient n track studio on pc. Abive logic. It’s far less capable but logic Etc are so horrible and un creative to use the pros outweighed the cons. It was pretty, colourful simole and capable enough with 64 tracks or something. I can’t rem and I could use all effects and stuff. No problem. What else do I need? It did cras sometimes I feel similarly aboit garageband. Best designed daw I terms of interfaces by far. Pleasure to use. Just a few weird limits.

• it should be fun to use a daw, not work.

I realise a lot of people with EDM background will differ.

Edit. Oh here’s an idea - sorry for all my claptrap btw - being able to reskin the app. I really think it’s important. I hate working in a daw where I spend a lot of time looking at bad or ugly aesthetics. For me daw music making production recording is like being in a play room. Toys and colours (I like how you can use colours in yours, more choices over time pastel shades a colour wheel are great). Most daws are more like a utility cabinet. It’s fun. People forget that. I feel a lot of daw use sounds like 99 percent production and songwriting playing inspiration as an afterthought. This is a bit of a ramble now but it’s not. That’s what I meant by a daw being quiet, it wasnt being disrespectful but that’s the best design. Tools should be quiet. To allow the musician to come through unobstructed. The production and technical stuff should be the donkeywork necessary and so made as simole and quick as possible and completely subservient to and quietly enabling the inspiration creation. I know there needs to be technical stuff just I think this gets lost. It’s like a good aide de camp or something, always there always abreast of what needs to be done and what has been done but otherwise quietly standing in the corner.
    Over time more skins for guis etc. And altering what yiu have in your main interface so can simplify or add the functions you need make it bespoke because we’re all different. Of course there’s artistry - or can be - to production but hope I’ve conveyed where I’m coming from :)

• Sounds pretty in line with my philosophy. I hate complex and ugly too. I’m sure we’ll get along fine, when I’ve fleshed out the DAW stuff a little more.

• @wingwizard said:

@Michael said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wingwizard said:

@mistercharlie said:

@wim said:

Thanks Michael. Enjoyed reading this. :) I’m coming at it from a different angle to most as I dont make loop based music, found the whole ableton scenes view or whatever it is realllllly counter intuitive and always have to relearn what the hell im even looking at in relation to a song when I try gadget. I write multi tracked songs, orchestral parts, piano pieces, vocals, pop. Guitar parts etc, so the dream for me on iOS (and before on pc) has always been a very very simple and aesthetically pleasing (not busy/ugly) daw.

I felt like maybe a new approach might be a winning one in terms of this and I really like how your app looks. I’ll add some of my feelings in case they’re pf any use:

• I’m a writer and songwriter and for the software I use the MAIN thing overwhelmingly is simplicity (I have a lot of ideas and I really want my app to just be there, be quiet, and elegantly allow me to organise stuff). I use scrivener for writing and am in love with it, so to this end, I can’t stand working with daws everyone else loves, I don’t need to have the backend in my face, so to speak, I don’t want récréations of ugly mixing panels with hundreds of controls. Of course everything needs to be there but I never use advanced bus controls channel strip stuff. I think maybe being able to adjust what is on the front end is good because for me what I really need is:

• timeline with tracks, very easy to record enable and punch in loop sections not hunting round for weird controls and button combinations like almost all daws.

• Very very easy to drag drop copy paste and alter volume and stuff with automation, midi piano roll thingy

That’s it. I do the rest (obv I’m sure there are tons of other things that are important but I find them just a forest of ‘in the way’ 99 percent of the time I’m only using the above. This is my main problem with other daws. Here’s a few user notes on them, sorry if this isn’t of interest but just the perspective of a songwriter, and years of never finding a daw I like.

• cubasis. Hate it. Looks like a pre club bar for metros 👀. I wanted ti like it as it looks simole but really weird ways of selecting songs etc in the menu, and I cannot stand the look. I think a lot of people are into EDM house Etc. I’m not. Horses for courses but I hateeeee that whole aesthetic and find it suffocating and unpleasant to work in. I’m a musician and just want a pretty simole powerful daw

• Auria pro. This should be the best as it’s designed for musicians and songwriters but in reality it’s a mess. Menus are ok but feel like they’re for a pc mouse setup. Maybe that’ll be better now I use a mouse too, weird design though feels amateur. The biggest problem by far - it doesn’t work, it crashes constantly, all the time on all iOS versions ive had for me. I know others have diff experiences. This is without fx or overloading. Not reliable. It’s ugly as hell grey and complicated to do very simole things or at least counter intuitive and I need to relearn basic stuff every time like setting a loop section.

• I hated logic on pc because it again put all the ugly complicated tangly connecty boring stuff as the front end. I’m a music I want to record music I’m nkt an engineer, i know you need a bit of bith to produce your stuff but I feel there is nkt enough UNDERSTANIDNG of this from programmers who seem to forget musicians are not programmers and there used to be more musicians who need to produce than producers who need to make music - prob changing

• able ton. Hate it. Just loops based. Can use traditional view but feels like again some dance music app. Liked the timbral synth thing. Always felt out of place in there and constructed,

• I ended up using the ancient n track studio on pc. Abive logic. It’s far less capable but logic Etc are so horrible and un creative to use the pros outweighed the cons. It was pretty, colourful simole and capable enough with 64 tracks or something. I can’t rem and I could use all effects and stuff. No problem. What else do I need? It did cras sometimes I feel similarly aboit garageband. Best designed daw I terms of interfaces by far. Pleasure to use. Just a few weird limits.

Edit. Oh here’s an idea - sorry for all my claptrap btw - being able to reskin the app. I really think it’s important. I hate working in a daw where I spend a lot of time looking at bad or ugly aesthetics. For me daw music making production recording is like being in a play room. Toys and colours (I like how you can use colours in yours, more choices over time pastel shades a colour wheel are great). Most daws are more like a utility cabinet. It’s fun. People forget that. I feel a lot of daw use sounds like 99 percent production and songwriting playing inspiration as an afterthought. This is a bit of a ramble now but it’s not. That’s what I meant by a daw being quiet, it wasnt being disrespectful but that’s the best design. Tools should be quiet. To allow the musician to come through unobstructed. The production and technical stuff should be the donkeywork necessary and so made as simole and quick as possible and completely subservient to and quietly enabling the inspiration creation. I know there needs to be technical stuff just I think this gets lost. It’s like a good aide de camp or something, always there always abreast of what needs to be done and what has been done but otherwise quietly standing in the corner.
    Over time more skins for guis etc. And altering what yiu have in your main interface so can simplify or add the functions you need make it bespoke because we’re all different. Of course there’s artistry - or can be - to production but hope I’ve conveyed where I’m coming from :)

Very much an aside, but isn’t N Track available on iOS?

• @MadGav said:

@wingwizard said:

@Michael said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wingwizard said:

@mistercharlie said:

@wim said:

Very much an aside, but isn’t N Track available on iOS?

Yes. :) Felt a lot of nostalgia seeing it. Isn’t it owned by 4pockets actually or maybe I imagined that? I think an old daw called meteor might be confusing me,

• @gregsmith said:

Can you go into the setup for this a bit? Looks very cool!

• edited October 2021

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@gregsmith said:

Can you go into the setup for this a bit? Looks very cool!

Sure!

So LK has a normal midi clip controlling Koala.

The other 2 clips are blank, but they have the new clip actions (notice the handy little icon in the top corners) - these are configured to send a midi note on when they play and another midi note on for when they stop.

Loopy is then configured to listen to LK’s midi. You can then use midi learn to configure the donuts to play on the play note, and stop (called mute in Loopy) on the stop note. This should then sync the LK clips to the Loopy Donuts.

I think there’s probably better ways to do the clip actions, with a single note on/off, or midi cc’s. I haven’t tested it too much. It might also work better setting Loopy clips to ‘hold to play’.

The blue donut has a full songs worth of acapella on it. This is the main thing I wanted to test as this currently isn’t really feasible with other apps I don’t think.

Edit: forgot to mention my favourite part…
    If you save this in AUM, all the audio is saved by koala and Loopy within the AUM preset, so if you airdrop it to another device, all the audio goes too. I’ve been wanting this for ages!!

• Come on in, the water’s fine. Actually it’s probably lousy with bugs but whatchagonnado!

https://loopypro.com/join

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

@Michael said:
    Come on in, the water’s fine. Actually it’s probably lousy with bugs but whatchagonnado!

Whoo hoooo!! I'm in this time!!!

• @Michael said:
    Come on in, the water’s fine. Actually it’s probably lousy with bugs but whatchagonnado!

Sorry if I’m being over the top but ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Yesss! the curiosity was killing me..
    just spent a couple of minutes with it and I looove it!
    I really like the sequencer, it brings something fresh to the looping environment.
    Thank you @Michael !!!

• Have just been setting up a project, without testing it yet, but I’m already in awe of the depth of the feature set here. So many possibilities….

And yes, the save animation is adorable. :D

• edited November 2021

Let me just say, that after just 10 seconds of use on my new Circuits set up...LoopyPro is a freaking dream come true!

WOW...auto loop detection...What White Sorcery is this!!!

• Holy crap I made it. Wooohooo!

• Nice! The AUv3 mode looks very useful … trying it now :)

• @Michael Is there such a thing as Global or Clip-level Quantisation for triggering clip Record/Playback?

• In the old Loopy, you could twist a donut with 2 fingers to shift the startpoint. Is there a way to do that in Pro?

• For future questions, please ask them in the slack – I’m not really paying a lot of attention to the forum right now, as I’m really busy. This time though:

@craftycurate said:
    @Michael Is there such a thing as Global or Clip-level Quantisation for triggering clip Record/Playback?

There is, take a look in track settings

@Shabudua said:
    In the old Loopy, you could twist a donut with 2 fingers to shift the startpoint. Is there a way to do that in Pro?

Not yet, but they will be. There’s a chance this might be after 1.0