Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

eSPI for iOS Released (sp-1200)

Comments

• @eylvy said:
    How many samples/drum sounds come pre-packed with the app?

Just 4 banks of 8.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    A question about the list of options under setup disk and sample; I understand the 1:1 retro appeal, but wouldn’t a setting for making these actual buttons save a ton of extra touches?

Actually you can tap on the text to enable the function.

• @anickt said:

@bcrichards said:
    Can this be used simply to process samples with the pitch shift algorithm and then export to files?

There is an Export Pad function but it’s not working. It goes through the motions but doesn’t give you the option to save.

In the meantime you could create a sequence with just one hit and use the Record Beat function to export it. It will go into a folder call Beats in Files > On My iPad > eSPI.

Also Background Audio doesn’t work so when you leave the app and go back the sound is gone. Dev is working on these things. I sent him a list.

@anickt good to know all the above Do you know if the mac version is stable now?

• @stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@bcrichards said:
    Can this be used simply to process samples with the pitch shift algorithm and then export to files?

There is an Export Pad function but it’s not working. It goes through the motions but doesn’t give you the option to save.

In the meantime you could create a sequence with just one hit and use the Record Beat function to export it. It will go into a folder call Beats in Files > On My iPad > eSPI.

Also Background Audio doesn’t work so when you leave the app and go back the sound is gone. Dev is working on these things. I sent him a list.

@anickt good to know all the above Do you know if the mac version is stable now?

Haven’t tried it. My Mac is way over on the other side of the room… 😆

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@bcrichards said:

@anickt ok cool

• edited October 2021

@anickt hi again Are you triggering the pads on screen or via a midi controller? I’am using on screen but latency is terrible. Not heard from low hiss. He’s very unresponsive since the mac app was released

• @stormbeats said:
    @anickt hi again Are you triggering the pads on screen or via a midi controller? I’am using on screen but latency is terrible. Not heard from low hiss. He’s very unresponsive since the mac app was released

By chance are you using Bluetooth headphones?

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@stormbeats said:

Pads on the screen. No latency. What device you on. I’ve gotten a couple of replies from him but he generally is pretty quiet.

• edited October 2021

@anickt said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@stormbeats said:

Pads on the screen. No latency. What device you on. I’ve gotten a couple of replies from him but he generally is pretty quiet.

Bluetooth is fine for listening, but horrible for triggering sounds. Use AUX for triggering.

• So was it confirmed this will end up being universal? Cos I can’t even get it right now cos I’m stuck on 12 on my ipad and would have to use my phone for it

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    So was it confirmed this will end up being universal? Cos I can’t even get it right now cos I’m stuck on 12 on my ipad and would have to use my phone for it

Not at this point. I can't imagine using this on a phone unless it's a bigger one.

• @stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@bcrichards said:

@anickt ok cool

Looks like the Mac version 1.0.2 has essentially the same functionality as the iOS version but some of it that doesn't work on the iOS version is working on the Mac version. It's getting there. I'm having fun with it on iPad within it's current limitations.

• edited October 2021

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Been waiting to hear you say those words

• @Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

…interspersed with some frustration… 😉

• @anickt said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@stormbeats said:

@anickt cheers for reply. No bluetooth headphones. Another user in this post said the same issue so will wait for updates/fixes. Iam on Air2 & ipad pro.

• @anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

Faithful recreation of the original SP experience then :)

• @R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

Hopefully the balance tips in favor of fun?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

The frustration is due to features that don’t work and sooner or later get in the way of a pleasant UX. I wouldn’t find the original SP experience frustrating.

But then my first sampler experience was the Ensoniq Mirage which a lot of people complained about then and now. Once I got the hang of it (keep the hex conversion chart handy) it really wasn’t that difficult.

@Littlewoodg regarding fun>frustration I’m a little more on the frustration side at this point. I’ve been dealing with this app since it first came out on Mac. It’s been a couple of years now. Seemed like every update broke something else.

I briefly checked the Mac version recently and a lot of what doesn’t work on iOS does work on Mac. I haven’t used it extensively though.

I’ve sent dev a lot of feedback and was thanked for it so hopefully things will get fixed and the app will be fully usable.

• @anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

The frustration is due to features that don’t work and sooner or later get in the way of a pleasant UX. I wouldn’t find the original SP experience frustrating.

But then my first sampler experience was the Ensoniq Mirage which a lot of people complained about then and now. Once I got the hang of it (keep the hex conversion chart handy) it really wasn’t that difficult.

@Littlewoodg regarding fun>frustration I’m a little more on the frustration side at this point. I’ve been dealing with this app since it first came out on Mac. It’s been a couple of years now. Seemed like every update broke something else.

I briefly checked the Mac version recently and a lot of what doesn’t work on iOS does work on Mac. I haven’t used it extensively though.

I’ve sent dev a lot of feedback and was thanked for it so hopefully things will get fixed and the app will be fully usable.

Thanks for your notes, i benefit from your testing and efforts with the dev! As always i benefit from your experience and perspective

• @R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

The SP series has a solid workflow.

• @ksound said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

I know, have 1 myself. I was referring to the “greater than” symbol between fun>frustration.
    For my the fun is greater than the frustration (which there is some in my personal case).

• @R_2 said:

@ksound said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

I know, have 1 myself. I was referring to the “greater than” symbol between fun>frustration.
    For my the fun is greater than the frustration (which there is some in my personal case).

The fun>frustration reference in this case is that the eSPI app is not quite ready for prime time (a number of functions don’t work yet) and not to do with the SP workflow which I’m fine with.

• @anickt said:

@R_2 said:

@ksound said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

The fun>frustration reference in this case is that the eSPI app is not quite ready for prime time (a number of functions don’t work yet) and not to do with the SP workflow which I’m fine with.

I realized that. But since old gear comes with frustrations too: corrupt floppies, problems with ram allocation (specific to my SP?) etc. I made that comment in jest, hence the: :)

• @R_2 said:

@anickt said:

@R_2 said:

@ksound said:

@R_2 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:
    …I'm having fun with it…

Fun>frustration?

I realized that. But since old gear comes with frustrations too: corrupt floppies, problems with ram allocation (specific to my SP?) etc. I made that comment in jest, hence the: :)

Gotcha! Corrupt floppies - I used to do installations of the Amiga-based Video Toaster, a groundbreaking device in the video world a while ago. The software came on 25 floppies. Each floppy took 3-5 minutes to load. The 24th or 25th disk was often corrupt for some reason. 😤😂😆

• @anickt said: The software came on 25 floppies. Each floppy took 3-5 minutes to load. The 24th or 25th disk was often corrupt for some reason. 😤😂😆

:D some equipment should never be used near a gun or open window.

• @R_2 said:

@anickt said: The software came on 25 floppies. Each floppy took 3-5 minutes to load. The 24th or 25th disk was often corrupt for some reason. 😤😂😆

:D some equipment should never be used near a gun or open window.

At least I was getting paid for reading a magazine (no phones or tablets then 😮) during the process. 😆

• edited October 2021

How can Low Hiss release a product on the appstore that’s not finished. Charge cash for the app and a dev who does not respond to so called support emails. Same thing with the desktop version. Literally got customers money to help with what still seems to be beta.
    This half finished product passed Apple review. I’am ok with bugs but the issue of pad latency is madness :(

• @stormbeats said:
    How can Low Hiss release a product on the appstore that’s not finished. Charge cash for the app and a dev who does not respond to so called support emails. Same thing with the desktop version. Literally got customers money to help with what still seems to be beta.
    This half finished product passed Apple review. I’am ok with bugs but the issue of pad latency is madness :(

Agreed but he did say from the beginning that it was still beta software so users have the option to buy into it or not. Doesn’t address this approach in the App Store though.

A small tip - when the app asks you to respond Yes/No, hitting Enter usually performs correctly where Yes/No doesn’t, such as in Load/Save.