Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

eSPI for iOS Released (sp-1200)

Comments

• @J_B said:

@anickt said:

@J_B said:
    No connectivity? As in no midi? I’ve been waiting a long time to instabuy this. Don’t mind waiting till it works though. Got a Uc33 and an LPD8 so I should be able to make my own ghetto sp1200

I used an LPD8 with the Mac version. When it worked it was great. I’m really hoping the dev gets the iOS version working properly. 😎👍🏼

I’m pretty hyped for it. I really really want to try out the sp1200 thing. Fader workflow looks fun as hell but I’m just not invested in it enough for a full blown 1200, even the 2400 is pretty expensive so an app is perfect for me. Might hit up the dev and ask a few questions

He’s not real responsive but in the couple of emails we have exchanged he seems like a nice guy.

I wish I bought an SP2400 at the pre-sale price. I think it would’ve been a good investment. Funny how people seem to love it or hate it. But I guess that’s just how people are!

• @Poppadocrock thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded. Even with it’s bugs I’am super excited about this. Will be constantly checking for updates. I never went for the desktop version but it looks damn cool on ipad. On youtube or the low hiss website he has it on iphone too so universal is gonna be cool

• Someone help me with the lay of the land here: workflow wise there is an upside to this approach as compared to the MPC…? Someone mentioned that one would see this (as hardware, in the era) side-by-side with MPC in the people’s studio set-up. Or was it the sound, more than the workflow (again as compared to MPC)?

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Someone help me with the lay of the land here: workflow wise there is an upside to this approach as compared to the MPC…? Someone mentioned that one would see this (as hardware, in the era) side-by-side with MPC in the people’s studio set-up. Or was it the sound, more than the workflow (again as compared to MPC)?

From my understanding the sound of the SP-1200 is why it is so revered these days. It has an analog crunchy warmness ☺️ that effects samples in a magical way when pitched up and down.

I won’t discount the simplicity of the workflow as well.

• edited October 2021

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Someone help me with the lay of the land here: workflow wise there is an upside to this approach as compared to the MPC…? Someone mentioned that one would see this (as hardware, in the era) side-by-side with MPC in the people’s studio set-up. Or was it the sound, more than the workflow (again as compared to MPC)?

From my understanding the sound of the SP-1200 is why it is so revered these days. It has an analog crunchy warmness ☺️ that effects samples in a magical way when pitched up and down.

I had a friend's SP1200 for about a year. Around 2005. The sound is one thing: yes it's crunchy and does the ringing/aliasing thing when you pitch it down. I already have plenty of hardware samplers (at least 10) and plenty do all that. In my opinion it's just nostalgia chasing. Back in the 90's, no one wanted their samples to sound like shit, that's just all we could get our hands on. Lofi was a compromise really.

From what I remember, the best and most unique thing about SP1200 was the workflow: you didn't need a manual because it was written on the front panel of the machine, all the editing was a done using just the faders which is smart. If you wanted to trim the start of sample, you had one fader for the course trim and another fader for fine trim...super-easy and basic.

In my opinion, seems like everyone is missing what made the SP a great tool. The SP2400 has too many features crammed in and too much reliance on the screen, I think a lot of the originaly simplicity and charm is lost. The eSPi is seems a bit half-baked, like the developer has mixed up priority. In my opinion, the time and energy spent on trying to nail the sound and look should have been put towards making the workflow and reliability solid FIRST. I don't care if it looks like an SP1200 if doesn't just boot up and RUN like an SP1200.

• @coolout said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I had a friend's SP1200 for about a year. Around 2005. The sound is one thing: yes it's crunchy and does the ringing/aliasing thing when you pitch it down. I already have plenty of hardware samplers (at least 10) and plenty do all that. In my opinion it's just nostalgia chasing. Back in the 90's, no one wanted their samples to sound like shit, that's just all we could get our hands on. Lofi was a compromise really.

From what I remember, the best and most unique thing about SP1200 was the workflow: you didn't need a manual because it was written on the front panel of the machine, all the editing was a done using just the faders which is smart. If you wanted to trim the start of sample, you had one fader for the course trim and another fader for fine trim...super-easy and basic.

In my opinion, seems like everyone is missing what made the SP a great tool. The SP2400 has too many features crammed in and too much reliance on the screen, I think a lot of the originaly simplicity and charm is lost. The eSPi is just buggy as hell and it's like the developer doesn't have his shit together. All that energy spent on trying to nail the sound and look should have been put towards making the workflow and reliability solid FIRST. I don't care if it looks like an SP1200 if doesn't just boot up and RUN like an SP1200.

Well said! Thank you for sharing the best of the SP-1200 🙏🏻

• An update came out overnight. So far from what I see it fixed the problem of sound going away after saving a project. Not sure what else is fixed. If anything. The interface still doesn’t scale properly but he’s aware of that issue.

• Auv3 support isn't important to me tbh. What I care about is functionality and sample management but it seems its buggy. However, I'm gonna pull the trigger and see after I can do with it. Limitations actually fuel me. If it's unusable, I'll ask for a refund. If I get something tangible from it, I'll post a YouTube video. Scouts honor

• edited October 2021

@Imhodef said:
    Auv3 support isn't important to me tbh. What I care about is functionality and sample management but it seems its buggy. However, I'm gonna pull the trigger and see after I can do with it. Limitations actually fuel me. If it's unusable, I'll ask for a refund. If I get something tangible from it, I'll post a YouTube video. Scouts honor

I concur! In this case I actually prefer standalone only for this app. The beauty of the MPC and SP-1200 is their workflows. The restrictions force creativity. No need to taint that with complexity and too much connectivity.

• I just want to know how it sounds.

• Older video but gives a sonic ballpark of SP ringy pizazz:

• @coolout said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

In my opinion, seems like everyone is missing what made the SP a great tool. The SP2400 has too many features crammed in and too much reliance on the screen, I think a lot of the originaly simplicity and charm is lost. The eSPi is seems a bit half-baked, like the developer has mixed up priority. In my opinion, the time and energy spent on trying to nail the sound and look should have been put towards making the workflow and reliability solid FIRST. I don't care if it looks like an SP1200 if doesn't just boot up and RUN like an SP1200.

As someone who has owned both an SP12 Turbo and an SP1200 and now owns an S2400 I’d say you’re wrong about the S2400, it’s very easy to use and similar enough to the SP that I could use it almost immediately as the workflow is very similar which is unsurprising as it was designed that way.
    I have to give props to ISLA, they could have fucked it up in so many ways but have managed to stay true to the heart of the original machine whilst adding some extra bits and pieces.

• @CRAKROX said:

@coolout said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

As someone who has owned both an SP12 Turbo and an SP1200 and now owns an S2400 I’d say you’re wrong about the S2400, it’s very easy to use and similar enough to the SP that I could use it almost immediately as the workflow is very similar which is unsurprising as it was designed that way.
    I have to give props to ISLA, they could have fucked it up in so many ways but have managed to stay true to the heart of the original machine whilst adding some extra bits and pieces.

That's good to hear. I based my opinion on the videos online. Perhaps they focused too much on the new features that differ from the original Emu boxes. I'd prefer something simpler and closer to original, limitations and all. I have plenty other devices crammed with modern features.

• @coolout said:

@CRAKROX said:

@coolout said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

That's good to hear. I based my opinion on the videos online. Perhaps they focused too much on the new features that differ from the original Emu boxes. I'd prefer something simpler and closer to original, limitations and all. I have plenty other devices crammed with modern features.

Most of the additional features actually make the unit easier to use rather than messing up the flow of the unit.

The problem ISLA have and you can see it in the discussions on their forums/SM is that a machine limited to the exact spec of the original 12/1200 wouldn’t generate enough support to make manufacturing worthwhile as modern users expect a whole lot more to be at their fingertips.
    As it is ISLA are swamped by people suggesting/asking for additional features that are not even expansions on the original 1200 but completely new.
    They’ve done a fantastic job of walking the middle ground by producing a machine you can use just like your traditional 1200 if you want but if wish to use more modern options they are available to you too.
    If I was given the option of an original unit or the 2400 I think I’d be hard pressed to choose but would probably take the 2400.

• edited October 2021

@CRAKROX said:

@coolout said:

@CRAKROX said:

@coolout said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Most of the additional features actually make the unit easier to use rather than messing up the flow of the unit.

The problem ISLA have and you can see it in the discussions on their forums/SM is that a machine limited to the exact spec of the original 12/1200 wouldn’t generate enough support to make manufacturing worthwhile as modern users expect a whole lot more to be at their fingertips.
    As it is ISLA are swamped by people suggesting/asking for additional features that are not even expansions on the original 1200 but completely new.
    They’ve done a fantastic job of walking the middle ground by producing a machine you can use just like your traditional 1200 if you want but if wish to use more modern options they are available to you too.
    If I was given the option of an original unit or the 2400 I think I’d be hard pressed to choose but would probably take the 2400.

Special machine, special workflow. This feels comparable to the Elektron Digitakt as far as being limited in some areas but being great at specific things. Like a special guitar pedal some things do certain special things that alone makes them worth buying.

• edited October 2021

@anickt @Poppadocrock or anyone..are you getting the following
    1. Really bad latency. Slow pad trigger response?
    2. On my Air2 getting no sound through internal speakers. Just headphones only
    3, Does anyone know if “low hiss” has an Audiobus profile? I will email him and strongly suggest he gets one.
    Thanks in advance

• @anickt Do you have the low hiss support email?

• @stormbeats said:
    3, Does anyone know if “low hiss” has an Audiobus profile? I will email him and strongly suggest he gets one.
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    2. Getting both but there’s no background setting so leaving the app shuts down audio
    3. I don’t think so

Did you get the update? It fixed sound dying after saving a project and some other small issues.

[email protected]

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    2. Getting both but there’s no background setting so leaving the app shuts down audio
    3. I don’t think so

Did you get the update? It fixed sound dying after saving a project and some other small issues.

[email protected]

@anickt Thanks for reply. Yes got the new update. Will email wait and hear from the dev

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    3. I don’t think so

[email protected]

@anickt if poss can you let me know your iOS Version & devices. Cheers

• @stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    3. I don’t think so

[email protected]

He just released an update that fixed interface scaling issue on iPad 8 and Mini. I am on iPad 8 and iOS 15.0.1.

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    3. I don’t think so

[email protected]

He just released an update that fixed interface scaling issue on iPad 8 and Mini. I am on iPad 8 and iOS 15.0.1.

@anickt ok thanks yes I downloaded the latest update but still having the above issues. I have emailed him so waiting for reply

• @stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@stormbeats said:

@anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    Thanks in advance

1. No
    3. I don’t think so

[email protected]

@anickt ok thanks yes I downloaded the latest update but still having the above issues. I have emailed him so waiting for reply

He said he’s working on other issues that I sent him. That’s good to hear. I’m starting to have fun with it in spite of what’s missing/wonky!

• I'm on a 2nd gen iPad Pro iOS 14.2 and definitely experiencing some of this latency from the pads and some go the other buttons ( like switching banks). That said I'm already having fun with this thing. The pitch shifting sounds very nice.

• @raindro said:
    I'm on a 2nd gen iPad Pro iOS 14.2 and definitely experiencing some of this latency from the pads and some go the other buttons ( like switching banks). That said I'm already having fun with this thing. The pitch shifting sounds very nice.

IDK - maybe an iOS issue? I’m on 15.0.1 and no latency anywhere.

• Can this be used simply to process samples with the pitch shift algorithm and then export to files?

• @bcrichards said:
    Can this be used simply to process samples with the pitch shift algorithm and then export to files?

There is an Export Pad function but it’s not working. It goes through the motions but doesn’t give you the option to save.

In the meantime you could create a sequence with just one hit and use the Record Beat function to export it. It will go into a folder call Beats in Files > On My iPad > eSPI.

Also Background Audio doesn’t work so when you leave the app and go back the sound is gone. Dev is working on these things. I sent him a list.

• edited October 2021

@anickt I’am on iOS 15.01 too but the latency is terrible Thanks for feedback will hopefully get a reply from dev. The app sounds very good though. The filters are ace. If poss if dev replies to you can you mention some users are getting pad latency. Thanks in advance

• @stormbeats said:
    @anickt I’am on iOS 15.01 too but the latency is terrible Thanks for feedback will hopefully get a reply from dev. The app sounds very good though. The filters are ace. If poss if dev replies to you can you mention some users are getting pad latency. Thanks in advance

Weird that you’re getting latency and I’m not. What device?

• How many samples/drum sounds come pre-packed with the app?