Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loop Pedal | Setup / Controller Discussion in anticipation of Loopy Pro

Comments

• I> @mistercharlie said:

Are any beta testers using Loopy Pro with a Novation Launchpad? Is there any setup at all, or do you just plug and play?

I’ve tried it with the Akai MPD 218, and I had to map the pads manually. However, once that was done, it’s great. The pads light up when their corresponding donut is playing, and the pads flash during count-in when recording.

This has gotten me extremely interested in a Launchpad X or Pro 3.

Any info? Or even videos?

I tried briefly a couple of weeks back with a Launchpad x - it linked up automatically with a pad for each donut - the problem I had was I couldn’t disable it in Loopy to use with other apps (LK). I’ll have another go this weekend and report back, but I think it’s safe to say it will work brilliantly, if not now then soon.

• edited December 2021

FWIW, after years as a guitarist with using Boss gear, I really value sturdy footpedals with a human form-factor that works with my foot wearing some shoes. So I'm leaning towards people like Line 6 that have played in the guitar / bass market for awhile.

• @joegrant413 Boss pedals are super great and reliable. They are also always the dirtiest guitar pedals I ever buy used. Maybe the rubber is hard to clean? Or maybe all those fancy boutique pedals stay in bedrooms.

• Did someone say Boss EV-1-WL?

You can connect two external footswitches to it, and its built-in toe switch can toggle between two sets of CC mappings.

• I barely have any idea about how to use a looper, but I picked up a https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B09KHBBZ4Q which seems to work fine with Loopy Pro beta. For the price, it's hard to beat; it's Bluetooth, fits in a (largish) pocket, charges over USB-C, looks like you could drive a truck over it without damaging it and has a plug for an expression pedal (haven't tried that yet).

To go "up" a bank you hit the two rightmost buttons simultaneously; to go "down" a bank you hit the two leftmost buttons simultaneously. You get 8 banks of 4 switches, so you can control 32 loops in total.

No need for its software - just pair it with the iPad using Bluetooth. After that, set it up as a Bluetooth MIDI device in Loopy Pro, then use MIDI Learn in Loopy Pro to hook each physical switch to a loop.

• edited December 2021

@steve99 said:
    I> @mistercharlie said:

Are any beta testers using Loopy Pro with a Novation Launchpad? Is there any setup at all, or do you just plug and play?

I’ve tried it with the Akai MPD 218, and I had to map the pads manually. However, once that was done, it’s great. The pads light up when their corresponding donut is playing, and the pads flash during count-in when recording.

This has gotten me extremely interested in a Launchpad X or Pro 3.

Any info? Or even videos?

I tried briefly a couple of weeks back with a Launchpad x - it linked up automatically with a pad for each donut - the problem I had was I couldn’t disable it in Loopy to use with other apps (LK). I’ll have another go this weekend and report back, but I think it’s safe to say it will work brilliantly, if not now then soon.

@mistercharlie - all looking good with both a Launchpad mini mk3 and Launchpad X. I’m not very deep in as I’ve only just fired up, but all the coloured donuts are there on the LP.

You can define the clip actions for the LP and, crucially for me, you can turn off the automatic bindings if you want to use the LP for something else. More elegant brilliance :)

• I've also found that the LP X pairs up well with Loopy Pro.
    Releasing the midi bindings on particular clips frees
    them up for usage with my Line 6 FBV Express mk ii
    or I just add extra clips when necessary.

I can loop live instruments using the Express mk ii
    such as guitar, bass and percussion and
    loop vocals or other instruments using the LP X.

• @steve99 @Gravitas when you say you can release some bindings, would that let you, say, use the top half of the Launchpad grid to trigger clips, and the bottom half to play notes?

• @monch1962 said:
    I barely have any idea about how to use a looper, but I picked up a https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B09KHBBZ4Q which seems to work fine with Loopy Pro beta. For the price, it's hard to beat; it's Bluetooth, fits in a (largish) pocket, charges over USB-C, looks like you could drive a truck over it without damaging it and has a plug for an expression pedal (haven't tried that yet).

Thank you for this recommendation. Amazon US doesn't seem to have these (yet), but there are a bunch on eBay for around US$35 shipped from California. I've just ordered one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144302835352

• @mistercharlie said:
    @steve99 @Gravitas when you say you can release some bindings, would that let you, say, use the top half of the Launchpad grid to trigger clips, and the bottom half to play notes?

Not like that in session mode, though maybe @Gravitas will correct me. Session mode is the clip launcher, but you can press a button to switch to Note mode when you need. Alternatively and additionally you could make your own user map that had a mixture of triggers and note pads and then midi learn it in Loopy, but you wouldn’t get the same multi coloured feedback you get with Session mode.

• @steve99 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @steve99 @Gravitas when you say you can release some bindings, would that let you, say, use the top half of the Launchpad grid to trigger clips, and the bottom half to play notes?

Not like that in session mode, though maybe @Gravitas will correct me. Session mode is the clip launcher, but you can press a button to switch to Note mode when you need. Alternatively and additionally you could make your own user map that had a mixture of triggers and note pads and then midi learn it in Loopy, but you wouldn’t get the same multi coloured feedback you get with Session mode.

OK cool. I think I can just trigger the clips on screen when I want to use Note or Chord Mode. I think I might have to get one to try it out

I'm already impressed with my little Akai 4x4 pad, but the Launchpad Pro's notes and chords will really help with Ableton, and other hardware.

• @Gravitas said:
    I've also found that the LP X pairs up well with Loopy Pro.

Probably silly question… When using a hardware controller, how do you select the clip you are going to record into?. The default action on press is to record… are you changing to “select” or something like that in order to use a hardware controller?

• @mistercharlie said:

@steve99 said:

@mistercharlie said:

OK cool. I think I can just trigger the clips on screen when I want to use Note or Chord Mode. I think I might have to get one to try it out

I'm already impressed with my little Akai 4x4 pad, but the Launchpad Pro's notes and chords will really help with Ableton, and other hardware.

For my current purposes I have 16 pads active on the LP X.
    Loopy Pro automatically made the mappings to the LP X.

I simply re mapped the first four to the FBV express mk ii and that’s it.
    I’m good to go.

Bear in mind this is both in AUM and Drambo.

• @tahiche said:

@Gravitas said:

Probably silly question… When using a hardware controller, how do you select the clip you are going to record into?. The default action on press is to record… are you changing to “select” or something like that in order to use a hardware controller?

My foot controller has four main switches, A thru to D.
    I map the first four clips in Loopy Pro to the
    foot controller and the rest is done via the LP X.

• @Gravitas said:

@tahiche said:

@Gravitas said:

Right. I guess you can just copy those over to empty clips and start over to do further takes.

• @mistercharlie said:

@steve99 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed, fantastic and versatile controllers. With LK the Session mode enables the 'capture midi' on the LPX as a record/overdub button (accessible when in note mode). I find that really useful as I can practise a part and then record it into a clip when I'm feeling lucky without changing modes. I think it's probably something @michael could enable as a 'record/play selected clip' function in Loopy Pro, I'll propose it on the beta Slack forum.

• @tahiche said:

@Gravitas said:

@tahiche said:

@Gravitas said:

Right. I guess you can just copy those over to empty clips and start over to do further takes.

Exactly or create new clips and remap the midi foot controller.
    Loopy is very versatile I must say.

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@tahiche said:

There are actions such as select next / previous clip. Currently my Blueboard is set as below. This was a just a quick stab at it and meant to be as simple as possible, but I was very happy with the results.

A Select Previous clip
    B Select Next Clip
    C Play (no record if empty) / Stop Selected Clip
    D Record or Stop Selected Clip
    Hold D Clear Selected Clip

But it's immensely configurable. I think you'll find that you can do whatever you like.

• Hi all,
    Some time has passed and I don’t if there’s another more updated thread on this.
    I want a midi foot controller for Loopy and I’ve been narrowing down the options. I want something inexpensive and with a good number of pedals.
    Softstep apis a bit pricey, Blueboard is an obvious choice (like that it’s Bluetootth) but I think 4 pedals is a bit limiting…
    I’m considering:

• Behringer fbc1010 - classic, right?. Can be found cheap second hand. I heard that it’s a pain to program, it needs power supply and no usb so the extra midi hassle.
    • Nektar pacer - more expensive, hard to find one used. The editor looks great and seems very straightforward. Like the form factor. No expression pedal… It’s got a web editor, handy.
    • Line6 shortboard mk2.
    • Line6 fbv3…
      These line6 can be found second hand. I like the sturdiness and clicks buttons. Has expression pedal… anyone can comment on the differences?, and also with the shortboard mk1?. The editor looks good…
      Any of these have iOS apps to configure them?.
      Any other recommendations?.

Cheers!.

• edited May 2022

@tahiche
    Hi !
    Forget fcb1010, too complex to setup.
    Line 6 are good but need à computer to be setup.
    Nektar pacer good choice, but only a Third party webapp to setup quickly

My choice : hotone ampero control :) 4 foot switch, BT, Nice editor and could be extend easily !

( sorry for my english, im french 🤣)

• wimwim
    edited May 2022

@tahiche said:
    ... Blueboard is an obvious choice (like that it’s Bluetootth) but I think 4 pedals is a bit limiting…

You can plug in a cheap sustain pedal for an additional switch, and an expression pedal too. I'm not saying I recommend it over anything else, as it's the only one I have. I will say that I think I'd much prefer nice clicky stompbox style switches to the BB ones. On the other hand, having the ability to light them up for visual feedback is nice.

• @tahiche : make sure any pedal sends an on event when pressed and an off even when released. Several people have port on the Discord to report that they bought pegs J’s that only send an on … which means you can’t make use if loopy’s ability to treat tap, double-tap and hold as different events.

• Thanks for the recommendation @Better_w_headphone . The hotone looks good. But I haven’t found any second hand, while there’s plenty of Blueboards…

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : make sure any pedal sends an on event when pressed and an off even when released. Several people have port on the Discord to report that they bought pegs J’s that only send an on … which means you can’t make use if loopy’s ability to treat tap, double-tap and hold as different events.

That’s a very good point!. I guess it means a lot of searching and forum fishing… I think the Blueboard does send both. Would you mind conforming, @wim ? And what about the hotone @Better_w_headphone?
    Unless some kind soul has already done their homework and can just choose for me! 😅🙃

• Im wait for mine so i can’t confirm, but you can download the hotone app on and test yourself !

• @tahiche said:
    Thanks for the recommendation @Better_w_headphone . The hotone looks good. But I haven’t found any second hand, while there’s plenty of Blueboards…

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : make sure any pedal sends an on event when pressed and an off even when released. Several people have port on the Discord to report that they bought pegs J’s that only send an on … which means you can’t make use if loopy’s ability to treat tap, double-tap and hold as different events.

That’s a very good point!. I guess it means a lot of searching and forum fishing… I think the Blueboard does send both. Would you mind conforming, @wim ? And what about the hotone @Better_w_headphone?
    Unless some kind soul has already done their homework and can just choose for me! 😅🙃

The Blueboard sends both. For most pedals, the information can be found in the manual if one looks for it..if not contact the manufacturer’s support.

You might also search on the Loopy discord to see if the pedal has been mentioned. A few have been mentioned there that only send on the press .. and at least one that is configurable but whose default is to send on down only.

• Honestly I wouldn’t let the complicated setup factor hold you back from using the FCB1010. Yes, it’s tricky, but you can skip it altogether and just use the stock MIDI messages it puts out / choose how to map them in Loopy.

The only annoyance is using it with something like Drambo, which doesn’t natively support MIDI PC commands. Then you do have to go in and change it to note messages instead. But there are some fairly uncomplicated (and free) software editors you can download to help.

• Reviving this thread since I don't want to start a new one. I have a Faderfox EC4 that I have setup the bottom green buttons to toggle mute on and off in AUM. It works perfectly. Click the button, AUM mutes and the light in the EC4 turns on. Click the button again, AUM unmutes and the light goes off.

This is NOT working in Loopy Pro no matter what settings I use via MIDI Learn. Am I missing something?

• @slicetwo said:
    Reviving this thread since I don't want to start a new one. I have a Faderfox EC4 that I have setup the bottom green buttons to toggle mute on and off in AUM. It works perfectly. Click the button, AUM mutes and the light in the EC4 turns on. Click the button again, AUM unmutes and the light goes off.

This is NOT working in Loopy Pro no matter what settings I use via MIDI Learn. Am I missing something?

We need more info.

Are you running loopy pro standalone or as an AU?

When you turn on midi learn in loopy pro, what happens when you press the button on the EC4?

If running loopy standalone, Add an AUv3 midi monitor. Add the EC4. Make the midi monitor the destination. What MIDI is the monitor showing?

• @slicetwo said:

Is Feedback turned on for the controller in Loopy Pro?

• @wim @espiegel123

Running LP in stand-alone mode. I click MIDI Learn, then the button on the EC4. If I hit it quick and then turn it off, it registers as CC20 ON, otherwise if will register as CC20 HOLD. The EC4 has 2 settings for buttons, TOGGLE and IMMEDIATE, with the former being the preferred method as it leaves the light on when pressed and off when depressed.

I would assume feedback is turned on as when I hit Mute on LP, it reflects on the controller.