Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Triggering midi clips / sequences

edkedk
edited October 2021 in General App Discussion

Hi,

I'm looking for an app where I can record midi from an external keyboard to trigger app or apps running in AUM and then to have these "midi clips" triggered by a midi note from digitakt.

So far I understand at Atom piano roll is able to do it. Is this right?
What is the difference between Atom 1 and Atom 2?

Is Xequencer2 able to do it as well?

Comments

• Atom 2 is able to do this. LK and Helium are other options. Xequence 2 isn't as well suited to this as it's a linear timeline based app rather than a clip launcher.

I would go with Atom 2. Not that the others are any less capable, but they are also broader in scope in ways that might be distracting.

Atom was the predecessor of Atom 2 - it's great for sequencing, but doesn't have the advanced clip recording and launching options of Atom 2. Atom also won't have any feature additions whereas Atom 2 may receive further development down the road.

• @wim said:
    Atom 2 is able to do this. LK and Helium are other options. Xequence 2 isn't as well suited to this as it's a linear timeline based app rather than a clip launcher.

I would go with Atom 2. Not that the others are any less capable, but they are also broader in scope in ways that might be distracting.

Atom was the predecessor of Atom 2 - it's great for sequencing, but doesn't have the advanced clip recording and launching options of Atom 2. Atom also won't have any feature additions whereas Atom 2 may receive further development down the road.

Also, Atom 1 can't be started/stopped via MIDI, can't record or play back MIDI CCs (or any non-note MIDI data), sends all notes in one channel, and can't export its MIDI.

• edkedk
    edited October 2021

ok looks like Atom 2 is the way to go.

fingers crossed that it goes on sale this year!

thanks for the tip!

• I’d recommend LK for this. You can trigger clips individually or set up scenes with multiple clips (song parts) and it’s easy to see what’s going on.
    I’ve been trying to incorporate the Digitakt into my workflow, haven’t really done it yet. I’ve always approached it the other way, the iPad (LK or whatever) sends a PC message to the Digitakt to change pattern. Whereas you are sending notes from a Digitakt pattern to the iPad. Interesting. Your way looks more fun, with the actual buttons. But you’ll probably have to fiddle around more if the patterns in the DT and iPad are of different length.

• I really like working with the Digitakt, but sometimes I want to play a phrase that is not tied to the 16 note grid the Digitakt is fixed to, so I'm looking for other options.
    I've tried recording sequences in Ableton and let Digitakt trigger the sequence, that works really fine.
    But I have the ipad and I would like to compose without a computer initially.
    Just checked out some tutorials on youtube, it seems it it would fit my workflow.

• Another workaround would be to just play the midi part and sample it. Then you can trigger it from the Digitakt. Long samples are no problem.