Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reverse a midi input? (time-shifty sound)

Hey all.

I'm trying to pull something off.

It's kind of a production of technique.

You hear it all the time on dance tracks ( the reversing of a crash cymbal to create a crescendo for example)

Or another example, the intro chords on this track:

Basically trying to reverse the sound played (I'm using keyboard, want to play chords, and just reverse the sound).

Is there a way I can do this in real-time?
Are there any AUM AUs which can do this?

Many thanks all. Happy Sunday. Even if the weather is trash.

Comments

• edited October 2021

If you want to do it arbitrarily and on the fly, the sample playback engine has to switch direction and exchange start/endpoint of the sample.
    And you need a controller to trigger this state (before you hit the key) and back to normal.
    Maybe Drambo ? (not a joke) o:)

ps: reversing the whole soundbank and do it by a simple bank switch is probably easier and more practical.

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    Hey all.

I'm trying to pull something off.

It's kind of a production of technique.

You hear it all the time on dance tracks ( the reversing of a crash cymbal to create a crescendo for example)

Or another example, the intro chords on this track:

Basically trying to reverse the sound played (I'm using keyboard, want to play chords, and just reverse the sound).

Is there a way I can do this in real-time?
    Are there any AUM AUs which can do this?

Many thanks all. Happy Sunday. Even if the weather is trash.

Koala FX has a reverse effect and can be mapped!
    https://www.elf-audio.com/koalafx/

• @SkillipEvolver

You can't do what you want realtime playing chords on just any synth. Nothing can reverse a sound until that sound has already been captured in full so that it can be played back in reverse. Sure, there are apps that can play back a sound in reverse after the fact, but since time travel hasn't been made AUv3 compatible yet, it can't happen realtime as you hit the notes.

If you want to play reversed chords live then they need to be made up of pre-recorded sounds that have been reversed in an app like Koala or sEGments. You can then trigger them from your keyboard. For instance, you can sample a note or chord into one of these apps, reverse it, then play it back monophonically or polyphonically.

Timing with reversed sounds can be tricky because normally you want the end of the sound to occur at a particular place that is not the time when you need to trigger the sound.

There are FX that can provide the feel of reversed sounds, but that isn't the same as an actual reversed sound such as you mentioned as a production technique in dance tunes.

tldr; there isn't any way to do what you posted if I take it in literal terms. There are ways to achieve the sound you're looking for, but not just by slapping an FX after a synth, it takes some pre set-up. Koala and sEGments are excellent candidates for that setup.

• Oh, and just to go all technical on you - it's not reversing a midi input as the thread title indicates. That would be something very different. You're looking to reverse an audio output, not a midi input.

Reversing a midi input would be something like entering quarter notes C E G and having it play back G E C.

• All fair comments, all understood.

Matter of fact though now that I think about it.....

The chords in the intro of that song.. Might not even be reversed to be honest.

They might just be starting at silent, and rising until full volume.

Which I guess could be achieved with just creating a slow attack?

or if I knew anything about filters properly, could be achieved by opening something gradually.

There's a thought. To
    (I've got so many different synth apps now.. I really should learn how to control the envelopes more!!) (something I need to work on)

• edited October 2021

@wim said:
    but since time travel hasn't been made AUv3 compatible yet, it can't happen realtime as you hit the notes.

I was JUST about to say that I'm working on a Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser AUv3 sampler, but I refrained :D