Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Over You Again / Minus The Flowtones

edited October 2021 in Creations

At @McD’s request I replaced Flowtones in my last track, Over You. He didn’t care for the Flowtones presets I used. Sadly, I have to agree. I’ve struggled with finding good presets in this synth. Flowtones has a great sound, but the presets don’t do it justice, IMO. Our friend @Spidericemidas will have to rescue it with his complex sound designs. Only then will I give it another go.

This version brings out the jazz with Galileo, SWAM Trumpet and Bb French Horn, BeatHawk Woodwinds and Total Bass…. And, a Flowtones patch (it comes in at 1:06). I hope @McD will approve this one.🤔👀😉

Comments

• edited October 2021

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether or not a particular sound fits in perfectly. It could lead to overthinking a piece. Besides, only you know the true intent of your own music. This sounds fantastic.

• That Trumpet sounds fab! For some reason this piece reminded me of Hal David & Burt Bacharach especially at the beginning. Big fan of their music it might surprise you to know.

Flowtones haha. It was at the top of my list but I’d started getting acquainted with Addstation which I want to try more with. Then Flowtones will probably follow. 👍

• edited October 2021

@NeuM, thanks. That’s the first time anyone suggested. I overthink my stuff. 😉 @McD was quite right on this one, I think. The Flowtones preset was grating.

@Spidericemidas, I’m not surprised you like Bacharach at all. He was innovative. I had to listen to hear that feeling, and I agree there’s something to what you say. Lots of musical influences inside our heads. I hope you will do Flowtones. I’d like to return to it.

• Dig it. Check out @Poppadocrock’s presets he made for Flowtones. I used them in both of last nights jams/uploads.

• I do feel bad for making this about FlowTones... I'm sure it can make interesting music.
    But this rendering of the same notes using real sounding instruments gives the notes selected more gravitas... and We can all benefit from extra @Gravitas in our lives.

Thank you for taking my comment to heart and considering a re-rendering of this music.
    I am getting cranky and my enjoyment of music has been highly critical of late. And yet I know all music has an audience. The listener contributes to the experience with a set of
    filters and biases... I'm sure many will appreciate the original synth-focused rendering for just that reason over this pseudo-physical musical rendering.

Still... it's good to air these feelings out if the artist has a strong sense of self-worth and dangerous with someone less self-assured.

Music is core to @LinearLineman's identity and I should consider that criticism is judgement and this should be a judgement free zone for creatives.

Anyway.... somebody make an interesting FlowTones track and post it here to show that
    it's sounds are valuable too for other musical styles or genres.

• @McD said:.

Anyway.... somebody make an interesting FlowTones track and post it here to show that

I don’t know how interesting they might be to anyone else, but I posted two pieces last night, both which include sounds from Flowtones (among a few other things).

I’m using Flowtones presets created by @Poppadocrock. I think they sound great!

(See “Rocktober Jams” #1 and #2)

• @LinearLineman

Another great piece.
    The horn arrangements are lovely.
    It instantly reminded me of Miles Davis and Quincy Jones
    for some reason and that era of great horn arrangements.

Really cool.

You're on fire.

Loving it.

@McD said:
    But this rendering of the same notes using real sounding instruments gives the notes selected more gravitas...

Agreed.

The moment the intro played, the impact of the physically
    modelled instruments immediately grabbed my attention
    because I know they are physically modelled.
    What would've added more realism to this piece would've been
    very subtle dynamics and modulation in regards to the tuning
    because physically modelled instruments are always perfectly
    in tune and with real instruments the tuning goes over time
    even in a live performance.

and We can all benefit from extra @Gravitas in our lives.

@McD Hiya. 👋🏾 😁

Good suggestion.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I’m using Flowtones presets created by @Poppadocrock. I think they sound great!

(See “Rocktober Jams” #1 and #2)

Yes. FlowTones has some great tones and you're use of them let's them shine.

• Thanks @McD. Your suggestions are always welcome.
    @Gravitas, thanks, bro, I wondered why it was getting so hot in here😉😎. The SWAM brasses have an anti phasing option to help make ensembles more realistic sounding. Not sure that has anything to do with tuning, however…. But the apps offer micro tuning. I might try that next time, tho I doubt my ears will hear the difference.
    @Edward_Alexander, the link for @Poppadocrock’s patches, if you can find it, please. This track does have a Flowtones patch at 1:06 as I mention. There are good ones, but not as many as I have found in other synths. Especially complex polyphonic pads.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @McD. Your suggestions are always welcome.
    @Gravitas, thanks, bro, I wondered why it was getting so hot in here😉😎. The SWAM brasses have an anti phasing option to help make ensembles more realistic sounding. Not sure that has anything to do with tuning, however…. But the apps offer micro tuning. I might try that next time, tho I doubt my ears will hear the difference.
    @Edward_Alexander, the link for @Poppadocrock’s patches, if you can find it, please. This track does have a Flowtones patch at 1:06 as I mention. There are good ones, but not as many as I have found in other synths. Especially complex polyphonic pads.

We might have to get pops to post them again. I’ll send him a DM.

• Lovely horn arrangement @LinearLineman ❤️
    Something whispers F.Z. in my head 😉

@LinearLineman said:

Here's the link: https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/1d/leof2t8418hx.zip

• @NeuM said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@LinearLineman said:

Here's the link: https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/1d/leof2t8418hx.zip

Thanks! There you go Mike^^^

• Thanks @rs2000. There’s always a little Zappa running around in my head.
    Thanks @NeuM and @Poppadocrock, I’ll go for em.

Dig it. Check out @Poppadocrock’s presets he made for Flowtones. I used them in both of last nights jams/uploads.

Thanks for the mention man. Yea they are in the Flowtones patch download thread. There’s 2 packs of 20 each. There’s a few other banks that others shared in that thread too.

Thanks @NeuM for sharing the link.

I truly appreciate the positive feedback.

• @LinearLineman those swams are no joke. Nice track. I really like at about 2 mins where the woodwinds/ bass start to “march” in the background.

What was the main lead swam trumpet or French horn?

• Here is the thread with my 2 packs on page 2, but there is a few other banks in there as well from other forum members.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46819/toneboosters-flowtones-downloadable-patches/p2

• Thanks for the banks @Poppadocrock. I look forward to exploring them! The lead SWAM was trumpet.

• The brass is a huge, huge improvement. So much gravitas.