Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes — Nest [ desktop for now ]

Comments

• edited September 2021

@Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    The software looks like it could be nice, but those breadboard images in the videos are painful to look at.

That was the developer’s breadboard, some real life prototypes of Nest :)

It's a cool intro, but I think what @NeonSilicon is getting at is that basically all of the ICs on the board are shorted out, the ESP32(?) is half connected to a bus lane, nothing is actually connected...

Yeah, every part is oriented wrong and there are dead shorts on the board. I get that it's just being used as an intro title screen and I'll give them the artistic license on it, but it's like when you are watching a movie and they show some silly thing that takes you out of the scene because you know it won't work. This one makes me go ouch because things would go bang and the magic smoke would be released.

Lol, well I certainly didn’t know that. If I had, I would’ve used a different picture. I was searching for some public domain images of breadboards for that quick screen, couldn’t find any good ones, so asked the dev for a pic. Don’t know what the story is behind that image, but the man is always building things, circuits, modules, etc.

Oh, you made the intro? Cool! It's definitely neat and thematic. :) For what it's worth, I'm used to an overly healthy dose of suspension of disbelief and just enjoyed it for the message. It wasn't until it was pointed out that I gazed at it through a Thevenin's loupe.

The breadboard image does its job fine and the transitions are cool. The sequence works great and gets across the idea really well. There are going to be a couple of people who will pause for a second but then just go with the rest of the video.

Edited to add that the reason I had a strong reaction to the image is that I've blown up enough parts while breadboarding to be extra sensitive. Blowing up a few electrolytic caps because you put them in backwards will make you twitchy for sure.

• edited September 2021

@aleyas Just getting in to watching your videos. Really great pacing and explanations. Thanks for taking the time to help us understand what NEST is all about. As mentioned in the thread...your vids are helping me to make sense of the whole concept of Modular.

Nest looks like another great piece of kit from SugarBytes.

Great job!!!

• edited September 2021

@aleyas said:

@auxmux said:

@aleyas said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    The software looks like it could be nice, but those breadboard images in the videos are painful to look at.

That was the developer’s breadboard, some real life prototypes of Nest :)

Were you involved in the development? I reached out to them on social about it, and they never reply.

I wasn’t a developer, but yeah, I ended up working quite a lot with them on it.

If you got any questions I’d be happy to answer them. As a fellow modular user, Nest has been a lot of fun, and a even a paradigm shift for me. I learned a lot, and it’s workflow led to some really cool discoveries which when adapted to CV/modular ended up in systems I would have never thought of naturally. I’m now designing a case built up around patching concepts I use in Nest, but adapted for eurorack.

Cool! I'll check the videos for some ideas. 😄

A lot of these modules like shift registers, one of my favorites, exist in VCV and miRack, so some if not all can be replicated there, except snapshots. But this is a good concept / intro to the VST crowd.

• edited September 2021

@echoopera said:
    @aleyas Just getting in to watching your videos. Really great pacing and explanations. Thanks for taking the time to help us understand what NEST is all about. As mentioned in the thread...your vids are helping me to make sense of the whole concept of Modular.

Great job!!!

Aleyas is the man, he explains things super clearly and understands this app on an extremely deep level, hats off buddy!

• @echoopera said:

Great job!!!

Thanks @echoopera and my pleasure! Nest is different, but it’s a great midi powerhouse. Definitely one of my new favorite drum sequencers.
    Hope you get some time to play with the demo!

• “This looks compansated” my daughter at six would say

• as an avid breadboarder, circuit bender etc, this seems kinda cool. dont think id ever use it, but cool regardless.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    as an avid breadboarder, circuit bender etc, this seems kinda cool. dont think id ever use it, but cool regardless.

Curious why you wouldn't use it if you are into that kind of thing, please elaborate!

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:
    Ha! It’s finally out, congrats to SB. You should put this in off-topic though @iOSTRAKON, it’s not available for iOS yet

@iOSTRAKON : Do you know that for a fact (if it will be out on ios at some point ?

• @shinyisshiny said:
    as an avid breadboarder, circuit bender etc, this seems kinda cool. dont think id ever use it, but cool regardless.

Anyone interested should google Stanley Lunetta. He developed the paradigm of building synths out of cmos chips. There are extensive resources for breadboarding this stuff on the web. It's pretty cool. Sometimes it even sounds musical.

• Don’t forget to check your account for the price if you already own other Sugar Bytes products - the desktop version is only $49 for me because of that.

• edited September 2021

@aleyas said:

@craftycurate said:
    There are some excellent tutorial videos on the web page - similar in quality to Tom Cosm's epic series for Factory and Aparillo, though more detailed. Only 10 minutes into the introductory video and it's pretty well explained so far. I might just finally be able to get my head round modular ...

Thank you :) if you’d like to hear what Nest can do in a musical context, there are musical examples sprinkled throughout the videos. Though personally, I think some of the examples in Part 3 and 4 are best. Particularly around the Sample and Hold, Shift Register and 7 Bit Converter sections.

If anyone’s got any specific questions, let me know. Nest is has been a joy to use and a fun learning experience. It’s different from typical modular.

I think I meant “modular” in the more generic sense, of “patching stuff together” rather than a more traditional modular synth context, but useful to know, and these basics are helpfully explained in the videos.

If only I could find a similar style of intro to Drambo (which still needs a much more comprehensive manual/help system) I think I would have got further with it. Nest has a detailed manual, so between the videos and manual think I could get quite far with this.

• @Gavinski said:

@shinyisshiny said:

Curious why you wouldn't use it if you are into that kind of thing, please elaborate!

i build them for use with / integration into circuit bent kids toys / synths. If im on desktop i am there to create, not to build a sequencer from the ground up. especially when there are already so many out there. Maybeeee maybeee if i need some crazy randomization or some rule based sequencing i can use vcv rack. But honestly it just doesnt really fit my workflow.

theres also something about building something in the physical world that is different than in the digital world. Having knobs and switches, knowing all of the work i put into it etc.

That being said, ill probably still get this, and perhaps learn something from it that i can apply to my creations outside the box.

• downloaded the demo, im sure its a awesome plugin , IF you know wth your doing, this just made my head hurt.

• Bought it, so I’ll go through those videos tonight.

• I've just come out of therapy from learning "Beatcutter" and I'm not prepared to go anywhere near this in case of a relapse. :smiley:

• Do we have all the module in mirack? Or is there something new? I'm confuse. It's the kind of app that make you stop and learn.

• If you know anything about patching a modular most of this should be familiar.

• edited October 2021

@Montreal_Music said:
    Do we have all the module in mirack? Or is there something new? I'm confuse. It's the kind of app that make you stop and learn.

Yes and no. Nest is not a typical modular. It doesn’t generate ‘voltage’, it generates numbers within midi value ranges (ie 0-127). Thus the workflow and approach to patching will be slightly different.
    While it may be technically possible to replicate a number of Nest’s functions in miRack, to do so would be very unintuitive. Some modules such as the ADC downright don’t exist. Other modules such as if/else could be patched with a suite of comparators and switches, but again, this is an unlikely direction to patch from scratch, and it wouldn’t have the same synergy as Nest as a whole. Furthermore, some tricks you can do with velocity and midi notes are not intuitive in miRack either, because of the differences of MIDI and CV.
    As a whole, Nest provides fantastic visual feedback of its signals. Every modulation and pitch value is visible at their output and input ports. Gates and triggers are always represented by LEDs. This makes it very easy to experiment with math and logic functions on the signals (which is the primary philosophy behind Nest). You have an excellent Birdseye view of your whole patch, without the need to scroll or zoom.

• edited October 2021

I'm guessing there won't be a Sound Test Room video on this app... :smiley:

Doug may be a music master but he's a self-confessed MIDI-ot (like me).

• oooh - this one is going to hurt - I always buy everything SugarBytes make because i love their stuff - but this one is a million miles from what I would actually use. I love the idea of a "rules based sequencer"... but not one that involves patch cables and an inscrutable circuit board interface. So I hope this doesn't come out on iOS, because if it does I know it will either haunt me in the app store as the only-Sugarbytes-app-i-dont-own or haunt me on my ipad as a the-app-i-bought-but-will-never-use. Goddamit!

• edited October 2021

@pantsofdeath said:
    So I hope this doesn't come out on iOS, because if it does I know it will either haunt me in the app store as the only-Sugarbytes-app-i-dont-own

Same here. I normally want stuff to come out on iOS (i.e. Hainbach's "Wires" plug in) but not this. I started to watch the first tutorial video and after about 5 minutes there was a sharp pain in my head and I needed a Bex and a lay down. :smiley:

• @Simon said:

@pantsofdeath said:
    So I hope this doesn't come out on iOS, because if it does I know it will either haunt me in the app store as the only-Sugarbytes-app-i-dont-own

Same here. I normally want stuff to come out on iOS (i.e. Hainbach's "Wires" plug in) but not this. I started to watch the first tutorial video and after about 5 minutes there was a sharp pain in my head and I needed a Bex and a lay down. :smiley:

Ditto on both points I emailed Hainbach about WIRES..
    and I own all the Sugarbytes apps but this one not sure if I want

• @Simon said:
    I've just come out of therapy from learning "Beatcutter" and I'm not prepared to go anywhere near this in case of a relapse. :smiley:

In recovery now?
    Did you tame the beast or where you turned into a beast?

• @Toastedghost said:

@Simon said:
    I've just come out of therapy from learning "Beatcutter" and I'm not prepared to go anywhere near this in case of a relapse. :smiley:

In recovery now?

That is another one I need to learn

• @Toastedghost said:

Amazingly, I tamed the beast - but it probably took about 10 hours all up of watching and rewatching videos and dicking around with the stupid thing to get some sort of controlable sound out of it.

But the way I wanted to use it (in AUM with other apps) kept spiking the CPU of my Air 2 and so I gave in and got a refund in the end.

Hence, Dr. Kaplin...

• @Simon said:

@Toastedghost said:

Amazingly, I tamed the beast - but it probably took about 10 hours all up of watching and rewatching videos and dicking around with the stupid thing to get some sort of controlable sound out of it.

But the way I wanted to use it (in AUM with other apps) kept spiking the CPU of my Air 2 and so I gave in and got a refund in the end.

Hence, Dr. Kaplin...

Yes I understand, use Beatcutter in a live set, sampling 2 Radio Aus, fed through a Turnado, Gatelab, then sampled into 1 of 3 channels, each containing 2 Enso’s, to top that of aided by a Hammerhead and Ting driven by Polybeats. The dictator in Turnado driven by LFO.
    So yes I sometimes experience spikes. Lol

• Needs to be brought to iOS. This thing is basically how my brain works… numbers, patch cables and logic, mixed in with a bit of insanity! Love it.

• edited October 2021

@Gavinski said:
    I wouldn’t hold your breath haha

@iOSTRAKON said:
    But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:
    Ha! It’s finally out, congrats to SB. You should put this in off-topic though @iOSTRAKON, it’s not available for iOS yet

What do you know that we don't know? I can wait 2 months, but not 2 years. I just want to know if I buy it on desktop or not (I always prefer the iPad version of it).

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Gavinski said:
    I wouldn’t hold your breath haha

@iOSTRAKON said:
    But, it will be soon 🥲

@Gavinski said:

What do you know that we don't know? I can wait 2 months, but not 2 years. I just want to know if I buy it on desktop or not (I always prefer the iPad version of it).

I don't know much except that the iOS version is still being worked on.