Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus/Drum Perfect/Harmonic Dog Multitrack

Hi,

I have been using Harmonic Dog's Multitrack for some time but recently installed Audiobus and Drum Perfect to bring in percussion. I'm very impressed by the technology and the interface--very intuitive.

Any tips on how to sync the time signature and beats per minute? I don't mind setting them manually but how can I make sure they are aligned? Ideally I'd like to tap one button and the drums start playing and Multitrack begins recording at the same time.

Thanks,

Kenny

Comments

• MT DAW is a great basic DAW for recording, but it lacks a lot of features that more advanced DAW's have. Among these is MIDI synchronization, which is what it sounds like you are trying to do.

However, there are some simple tips/workarounds.

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple6/v4/44/4b/a4/444ba444-14f2-ba46-42ba-f667045177bf/screen568x568.jpeg

First, if you look at that screen, you are probably already aware that the top left contains a BPM setting if you hit the right arrow. Set that to match the tempo of your song, and then the grid lines will adjust to mark each measure. If "Snap" is checked in the main menu, then your audio section should attach to the grid line for the start of the measure exactly.

Of course, that only matters if the start of your track is the exact start of the first beat. You can do that either by ear, do it visually (lining up the first activity with the start of the measure), or you can export a perfectly sized loop from DrumPerfect and use AudioCopy/Paste to paste it into MT DAW.

Since MT DAW (amazingly) still has no "count in" for recording, it can be difficult to start it on time. One thing I do often is to set a blank measure in front of my recording, and then you can just count off the clicks of the metronome to know when it's going to start. Not very elegant, but it works well enough.