Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Chiptune SYNTH For iOS?

Comments

• Nest by SugarBytes will be great for this once it drops for iOS.

• @KRPT said:
    Tweaky Beat is lots of fun and sounds great - no AUv3 though

True, it’s been around forever. It’s one of the earliest free apps I heard about when I first started iOS music production awhile back.

It’s an annoying workaround but as a last resort for getting audio out from something, I use screen record, then extract audio from that video, then audioshare to trim, and there ya go…

• Moby Chip looks quite robust (I mistook it for a kid-targeted app)

This developer insight makes me want to support:

• Caustic is highly underrated for an app with so many capabilities. It includes an 8-bit synth and a version of SFXR. Has not been updated in a while but still works fine on iOS 15. Dev mentioned poor iOS sales. Hard to believe people don’t see the value in this app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/caustic/id775735447

• I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, guess I'm too old or something. Anyway I was thinking of Humbletune's Sinusoid and made a test. This took me 20 minutes to make, just to chip in :D . I also used Frekvens from the same maker as a plug-in.

• Dang it. Should've gotten Moby Chip before. It's ios13 only now :tongue:

• I don’t know anything about chiptune but there is also an 8-bit IAP in Pure Synth Platinum

• I finally updated to current iOS and dove into Moby Chip: here’s a few thoughts:

The horizontal timeline is more “familiar step sequencer” than it is “intimidating tracker” though the overall concept is a wonderful hybrid.

If limitations breed creativity Moby Chip is off the charts fun to create with (assuming one has Chip love in their heart going in). How far can you push these 4 tracks?

There are some workflow quirks (that I’m going to ask the developer about) but there’s also numerous unique capabilities - some stone cold killer - that make Moby Chip a total joy and one of my favorite current apps.

• @Proppa said:
    I finally updated to current iOS and dove into Moby Chip: here’s a few thoughts:

The horizontal timeline is more “familiar step sequencer” than it is “intimidating tracker” though the overall concept is a wonderful hybrid.

If limitations breed creativity Moby Chip is off the charts fun to create with (assuming one has Chip love in their heart going in). How far can you push these 4 tracks?

There are some workflow quirks (that I’m going to ask the developer about) but there’s also numerous unique capabilities - some stone cold killer - that make Moby Chip a total joy and one of my favorite current apps.

Hello Proppa, I'm glad you like it.

I'm Dan Bliss the developer of Moby Chip. I'd love to hear more about the workflow quirks and any other feedback you might have.

Feel free to email me at [email protected].

• @Proppa said:
    I finally updated to current iOS and dove into Moby Chip: here’s a few thoughts:

Agreed. I went into chiptune acquisition mode and got sidtracker, deflemask, october, and Moby Chip. The latter is the only one that really stuck and is actually very fun to use. I should’ve known I could never adapt to the vertical tracker after my SunVox experiments.

• So sad that you cannot try the weirdness that was iYM2151 :lol: :tongue:
    Although it still looks more familiar than hex vertical tracking

• @p0rth05 thanks Dan! Moby Chip continues to be my iOS addiction and the more I use it the more I love it.

Per-step patch / parameter locking is Endless exploration and the sequencer is so fun to compose with. I will email a couple thoughts but Moby Chip as is = Pure Awesome.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2021

@ehehehe said:
    Squaresynth 2 seems like the obvious choice if you are sequencing elsewhere. Was tired of digging in and out of gadget to get these sounds, so thanks for that and the Papu recommendations!

A cool xtra w/SquareSynth (one and two), they are multi timbral (8 midi channels in for SS 2, 4 channels in for SS 1). Not multi audio out mind you…

@senhorlampada i still have iYM2151 on ipad one, w/ios 5 I think…ultra cool

Deflemask has an emulation of that chip as one if its included chip systems

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @senhorlampada i still have iYM2151 on ipad one, w/ios 5 I think…ultra cool

Deflemask has an emulation of that chip as one if its included chip systems

Awesome... Never noticed that. I have been putting my money in other places instead of deflemask.
    Gonna get it before it gets an iOS 13+ update :lol:

• @Littlewoodg said:

A cool xtra w/SquareSynth (one and two), they are multi timbral (8 midi channels in for SS 2, 4 channels in for SS 1). Not multi audio out mind you…

SquareSynth 2 is AUv3 so you can load as many instances as needed :sunglasses:

I'm still waiting for BitBoy Studio which should drop by November this year.
    (As far as I know It will support multiple systems/chip-types as well).

I'll go as far as to say as long as a synth has proper modulation options with step-sequencers, curved envelopes/modulators, supports some cross-breed between oscillators (cross, mod, fm, ring-mod, sync preferably a mix of all) in a very precise and controlled manner is a good candidate for 'chip-type' sounds.

For example the classic 'chiff' effect is just an octave jump where at the start of the sound the octave is held up for 20ms before an instant drop down, no glide down, just 'drop down'.

I've found that once I know 'what kind' of chip-sound I need Drambo is for now the fastest way to 'build it'.
    And half of the 'fun' prior to creating the sound is to figure out how it's done :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Yep that multi-out feature is kind of an IAA artifact…
    BitBoy! I’ve been waiting for that one, thought it was abandoned. You had a word from the devs?

• @Littlewoodg said:

Yep that multi-out feature is kind of an IAA artifact…
    BitBoy! I’ve been waiting for that one, thought it was abandoned. You had a word from the devs?

I'm not on beta for it but there's some life-signs from time to time on their FB page.

I do suspect it's a 'week end project' done on spare time...
    ...and I trust it will be out when it's finished.

It's the same with SunVox 2.0. It'll be done when it's done :D

If you're on desktop check out SidFactory II
    http://blog.chordian.net/sf2/

'sceners' usually never disappoint :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:
    'sceners' usually never disappoint :sunglasses:

They haven't let me down so far :)

• https://apps.apple.com/us/app/papu/id1523121135

It's a little glitchy last I used it, but it sounds great. And it's free.

• @Samu said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I'll go as far as to say as long as a synth has proper modulation options with step-sequencers, curved envelopes/modulators, supports some cross-breed between oscillators (cross, mod, fm, ring-mod, sync preferably a mix of all) in a very precise and controlled manner is a good candidate for 'chip-type' sounds.

For example the classic 'chiff' effect is just an octave jump where at the start of the sound the octave is held up for 20ms before an instant drop down, no glide down, just 'drop down'.

I've found that once I know 'what kind' of chip-sound I need Drambo is for now the fastest way to 'build it'.
    And half of the 'fun' prior to creating the sound is to figure out how it's done :sunglasses:

Do you have any chiptune patches for Drambo that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

• @DukeWonder said:

I'll do that once 1.5 is out the door as many of the new modules make things a lot easier...
    ...sadly I don't have any ETA on the release date :(
    (My saved patches/presets won't load in the current Appstore version).

• @anickt said:
    Caustic is highly underrated for an app with so many capabilities. It includes an 8-bit synth and a version of SFXR. Has not been updated in a while but still works fine on iOS 15. Dev mentioned poor iOS sales. Hard to believe people don’t see the value in this app.

Yeah caustic was amazing. That was the first app that got me into the whole synth/ios topic, back on my ipad mini 1. (that was right when corona hit, so not too long ago :)

I wonder if auv3 wouldn’t pump up these sales, I would love to return to the app and would definitely use it way more if it was auv3… but I’m afraid the dev is off to new endeavours

• @Samu said:

@DukeWonder said:

I'll do that once 1.5 is out the door as many of the new modules make things a lot easier...
    ...sadly I don't have any ETA on the release date :(
    (My saved patches/presets won't load in the current Appstore version).

Awesome, thank you!

• @DukeWonder said:

Awesome, thank you!

You could try to 're-create' these for fun :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e59tst7q4s98tx4/chippie.mp4?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdkj5lb34z422v4/noise2.mp4?dl=0

As for 'modulation depths' in Drambo, 0.125 is one octave, 0.250 is two.

A classic 'chip effect' is to use Drambo's AHD envelope routed to pitch with 0.125 depth (1 octave)...
    ...and set the AHD's values to 0, 20ms, 0. This will create what is called a 'chiff effect'.

It all depends on what 'kind' of ChipSounds one is after.
    When that picture is 'clear' it's all about dissecting what makes it tick.

Do you have any particular types of sounds in mind?

I'm in no means an 'expert' but I have some clues on how things tick.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@DukeWonder said:

Awesome, thank you!

You could try to 're-create' these for fun :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e59tst7q4s98tx4/chippie.mp4?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdkj5lb34z422v4/noise2.mp4?dl=0

As for 'modulation depths' in Drambo, 0.125 is one octave, 0.250 is two.

A classic 'chip effect' is to use Drambo's AHD envelope routed to pitch with 0.125 depth (1 octave)...
    ...and set the AHD's values to 0, 20ms, 0. This will create what is called a 'chiff effect'.

It all depends on what 'kind' of ChipSounds one is after.
    When that picture is 'clear' it's all about dissecting what makes it tick.

Do you have any particular types of sounds in mind?

I'm in no means an 'expert' but I have some clues on how things tick.

Cheers!

Honestly I am not a Drambo user at all, yet alone someone who builds in it. I just remembered you saying that you had chiptune stuff in Drambo and thought about it when I was looking at chiptune synths last night. Not looking for anything specific, moreso wanting to just expand my arsenal of sounds as much as possible.

• Nothing beats the real-thing though...
    Listen to this haunting Piano + SID performance :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:
    Nothing beats the real-thing though...
    Listen to this haunting Piano + SID performance :sunglasses:

Oh my, that is special; since learning last year that you can finally ‘music’ a c64 without too much hassle, I’m deeply regretting selling mine in 2014 with working a MIDI adapter, they’re so insanely expensive on eBay now…

• @Krupa said:

@Samu said:
    Nothing beats the real-thing though...

He probably had to audition several machines at the shop to find one with a chassis that resonated the key clacks with the soul he was looking for. Some have intonation that just can't be fixed. You try wedging a bit of toilet paper under this edge. No, that's no good. Maybe Charmin? No... That Q-Tip is close, but not quite it. And, finally, you notice one that has a piece of the original styrofoam stuck down below the spacebar! Ahh, that makes it come alive...

• abfabf
    edited January 2022

I got Moby Chip, I think it's fantastic.
    Edit: I've had some troubles figuring out the UI, but I'm slowly understanding.