Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stay on iPad or go back to PC

13»

Comments

• @Simon said:

@joegrant413 said:
    My current setup includes a Tascam mixer and recorder. Tascam taught me a lot that helped me understand AUM better.

That's an expensive way to learn AUM. LOL :smiley:

No doubt!

• @ecou : Maybe not for rock music, I dunno but Tracktion by and large is just a fantastic DAW .

• @Telstar5 said:
    @ecou : Maybe not for rock music, I dunno but Tracktion by and large is just a fantastic DAW .

It really is. It "landed" with v11.5 with the engine and stability work they poured into it instead of going to v12. I've been using Tracktion since v3... or maybe earlier.

But I did change over to Studio One late last year to try something new. Still too soon to say if I like it better. Funny enough, Tracktion v11.5 is more stable on my otherwise totally stable system than Studio One! Go Tracktion!

• Desktop. Save yourself some headaches. Ipad is a fantastic platform with lota of unique touch based software but nowhere near what the desktop offers.

• M1 Logic and keep ipad. They work fantastically together. I make rock music as well. Get Logic and an amp sim like BIAS FX2. Done. LOGIC’s drummer is actually very capable with its multi output and routing/processing! You can even go back from Logic to Garageband and add tracks and then back to Logic. It is a dream. M1 MB Air here 16GB RAM.

• @paradiddle said:
    Desktop. Save yourself some headaches. Ipad is a fantastic platform with lota of unique touch based software but nowhere near what the desktop offers.

It’s only a matter of time until Sampletank goes Auv3…Beathawk has a fantastic library . Drambo has a great sequencer as does NS2. What exactly do you want to do musically that you can’t t do on iOS?

• edited September 2021

Not too many of any major hit records were done on ios .. But then again , considering the number of desktop users there are , the preponderance of hits done in desktop are also few and far between. Recording software has been going on for literally decades.. Most of my pro friends don’t know anything about iOS misic making . So it’s not that it can’t be done, it’s that there are hundreds of desktop musicians for every single one on iOS . It’s all about the odds. No reason someone can’t record a hits on Cubasis using Fab filter plug ins and say for example Sampletank iOS or Beathawk.

• @Simon said:

@joegrant413 said:
    My current setup includes a Tascam mixer and recorder. Tascam taught me a lot that helped me understand AUM better.

That's an expensive way to learn AUM. LOL :smiley:

👌

• third option - forget both ipad and pc, buy HW groovebox of your choice and never look back :-)

• edited September 2021

@dendy said:
    third option - forget both ipad and pc, buy HW groovebox of your choice and never look back :-)

Oh yeah - that's really going help him and his buddy with their 20-track rock/metal music making :smiley:

• edited September 2021

@Simon said:

@dendy said:
    third option - forget both ipad and pc, buy HW groovebox of your choice and never look back :-)

Oh yeah - that's really going help him and his buddy with their 20-track rock/metal music making :smiley:

Ah overlooked the rock/metal part, my fault, did read properly first post and not just title and if i should be serious then my suggestion (after 11 years with iPad-only producing music experience) would be definitely go PC way ..

• @dendy said:

@Simon said:

@dendy said:

Ah overlooked the rock/metal part, my fault, did read properly first post and not just title and if i should be serious then my suggestion (after 11 years with iPad-only producing music experience) would be definitely go PC way ..

@Dendy:Are you really gonna start going the PC route after all this time?

• If you’re mostly multitracking etc, go with a big screen desktop like iMac or whatever tickles your fancy. If you’re more into jamming and messing around live and/or using the touch screen as an expressive surface then iPad is probably a better option.

• edited September 2021

@Telstar5 said:
    @Dendy:Are you really gonna start going the PC route after all this time?

Truth is i moved to HW only environment for production few months ago, of course if/when i return again back to SW solution then iPad will be my only choice ... but in case i would be in position of need of multitrack audio recording of band and subsequent editing of those recorded takes - my current weapon of choice would be computer (running Logic Pro in my case)

• @ecou said:
    Don’t you have to unfreeze and refreze every time you do a change? Or you record new guitar on new track , freeze and move to initial frozen track?

No, because as I originally stated, I print the amp-sim tone to the track, so it's just another audio track. I just offered freeze up as an alternative. I rarely find that I need to be fiddling with the amp-sim on top of an already recorded track - and never to the point where it's worth trading off the CPU cycles required. If I need to tweak the tone only, there aren't any tracks I can't replay quickly.

I've just changed my mindset during recording from 'open for tweaking' to 'replay the mf'er'. I get a lot more done now than I used to, and I'm not constantly fighting the cpu.

• I'm now in a situation where most of the work takes place in Logic Pro X, and the synths either come from my hardware (Opsix, bCat, NTS-1) or might be one synth at a time from the iPad Pro over lightning to USB connection.

I'm not interested in running more than one synth at a time in the iPad (never was, really), and I'm not interested in increasing my hardware quotient (no room, the Opsix is too big as it is, and keeps falling off the table or getting bumped/walked into and dropping, or even just falling flat on its face if I've propped it up and something else nudges it).

• @rad3d said:

I've just changed my mindset during recording from 'open for tweaking' to 'replay the mf'er'. I get a lot more done now than I used to, and I'm not constantly fighting the cpu.

Me too. For the first couple of decades making music I ran everything ‘live’ via the sequencer. Everything was tweakable right up to the last moment. It took me a while to realise that was what was holding me back from making music these days.

As soon as I stopped worrying about being able to edit everything, music on iOS clicked into place. I commit to audio very early in the process now and build tracks mainly from audio loops on my iPhone. This also means I can use any app at any time and not worry about complex set ups that break if you try and open them again a few months down the line. I might just open up DM-1, which i never use alongside other apps, and just make some loops. Any interesting ones get exported as audio and I don’t care about having the sounds separated. I just treat it as if it was from a sample loop library and move on.

I still finish stuff on desktop but it’s a much quicker process to load a few loops into Logic as the starting point for a song. Those loops might not even make it into the final version of the song and not being precious about stuff is as important as committing when it comes to making life easy for myself and being more productive. :-)

Those forgotten loops might even get another life in a different track one day anyway :-)

• @klownshed said:
    Me too. For the first couple of decades making music I ran everything ‘live’ via the sequencer. Everything was tweakable right up to the last moment. It took me a while to realise that was what was holding me back from making music these days.

As soon as I stopped worrying about being able to edit everything, music on iOS clicked into place. I commit to audio very early in the process now and build tracks mainly from audio loops on my iPhone. This also means I can use any app at any time and not worry about complex set ups that break if you try and open them again a few months down the line.

Absolutely. I'm an old guy. I cut my teeth in 16/24 track tape driven studios in the late 70s-early 80s. Back then, you printed effects, overdubs, etc, just to have enough tracks sometimes. And some of those sessions still sound great today.

How you balance perceived limitations with workflow efficiency is the key to productivity with any system, whether it be audio, video, design, animation, VR - whatever.

Those forgotten loops might even get another life in a different track one day anyway :-)

This. All the time!

• @rad3d :Brilliant comment!!!!!!!