Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the "Bespoke" DAW?

edited September 2021 in General App Discussion

This is a new DAW which has been in development for a long time and now available for Mac, Windows and Linux. It is described as sort of a jamming and exploration tool, less of a timeline based production tool.

https://www.bespokesynth.com/

And here's a video going over the thing:

Comments

• What is the "Bespoke" DAW?.... Another thing I probably don't need?

Interesting app. It is nice that it's free but I'm drowning in iOS software and learning this modular DAW looks like a time sink with no major benefit at the other end.

Might be fun for the desktop tinkerers here. Thanks for posting.

• Very reminiscent of VCVRACK, looks interesting, but haven't tried it yet.

• I’ll have a look after my upcoming concert — Linux is my main audio platform right now so always cool when stuff is cross compatible there.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

So, basically Sunvox with sequencers instead of a tracker. I'm down to mess with this one. B)
    I always award big-ups for developers with a sense of humor too.

• This thing is lots of fun. Some of the sequencers are pretty nice and can be used to trigger iOS via iDAM if you have a Mac. There's currently a bug with it accepting audio in on Big Sur, but there's a workaround and a fix on the way.

• I failed.

The presenter sounds like he subscribes to the "speak like you're on something strong" school of narration, which results in a remarkable combination of tiring and annoying. I lasted less than a minute and turned off before he concluded the initial "pay to keep your money" sales pitch for the paid versions. 🤷

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

Yeh, that’s an annoying reviewer alright. But the software is anything but annoying. The pricing modle still has me chuckling. Maybe you missed the punchline.

• @wim said:
    So, basically Sunvox with sequencers instead of a tracker. I'm down to mess with this one. B)
    I always award big-ups for developers with a sense of humor too.

You and me both. The developer certainly deserves to make my pocket $15 lighter for his punnery alone...

Calling it a DAW is unfortunate as it has far more in common with a tracker but I'm interested in having a play and seeing where it takes me. I'm always interested in audio tools for Linux as there's such a lack of OS fluff things are significantly more efficient (with regard to GPU rendering, Linux renders 20-25% faster than Win 10).

I don't think Bespoke is similar to VCV Rack but peoples familiarity with VCV will certainly help them get up to speed with Bespoke. The vernacular of modular is far more widespread these days.

• edited September 2021

@jonmoore said:

Calling it a DAW is unfortunate

The domain name (bespokesynth.com) is probably how the developer sees it but it is obviously much more than ‘just’ a synth.

I suppose DAW is a close catch all term, given that the original meaning of a DAW has been diluted over the years.

It’s not a DAW in my eyes but I’ve given up being bothered by how other people define those three letters :lol:

The unfortunate part of it is that some people , especially online prefer to complain about what something isn’t rather than applaud what something actually is. Calling it a DAW will just make those people jump for their keyboards in a rush to feign offence.

I’ve probably been guilty of complaining when I should have been complimenting over the years, but hopefully not too much! :-/

Looks like a cool app. I just wish I had more time to play with this kind of thing… I haven’t even taken the wrapper off Drambo yet.

• @ervin said:
    I failed.

The presenter sounds like he subscribes to the "speak like you're on something strong" school of narration, which results in a remarkable combination of tiring and annoying.

I have some serious issues with gamefromscratch
    He presents some good resources/software/whatnot... But the way he speaks and makes his videos longer than needed makes me nervous :confounded:

• For anyone adventurous... a 2:21 long video from Benn Jordan

• edited September 2021

Looks interesting. VCV rack is interesting too, and I even have a few paid modules… do I use it? Nope, I have an iPad Pro with Drambo…… ✌️

This reminds me though, I should get on the PC and update VCV Rack, and snag any of the new FREE modules that might catch my eye. It is fun to mess around with when on the PC.

I'll have a look at this Bespoke thing too, kick it around on the PC and see what's what. You never know, maybe something will inspire me and before you know it, I'll be transformed back to a desktop music maker. I've always been a Windows guy, and I do own Ableton Live and several other things, like at one time for example I paid a hefty amount of cash for an Arturia V collection (version 5 IIRC) which speaking of "collections", has only collected dust.

But this "Windows guy" has been contemplating getting a Mac for the first time ever. I want to be able to use my iPadOS stuff with my desktop stuff, and having a Mac (Macbook?) seems like the best way to go about this platform interchange with "IDAM" and the like.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Looks interesting. VCV rack is interesting too, and I even have a few paid modules… do I use it? Nope, I have an iPad Pro with Drambo…… ✌️

This reminds me though, I should get on the PC and update VCV Rack, and snag any of the new FREE modules that might catch my eye. It is fun to mess around with when on the PC.

I'll have a look at this Bespoke thing too, kick it around on the PC and see what's what. You never know, maybe something will inspire me and before you know it, I'll be transformed back to a desktop music maker. I've always been a Windows guy, and I do own Ableton Live and several other things, like at one time for example I paid a hefty amount of cash for an Arturia V collection (version 5 IIRC) which speaking of "collections", has only collected dust.

But this "Windows guy" has been contemplating getting a Mac for the first time ever. I want to be able to use my iPadOS stuff with my desktop stuff, and having a Mac (Macbook?) seems like the best way to go about this platform interchange with "IDAM" and the like.

30+ Year Windows guy here. I’ve nothing against Windows, but finally got a refurbished MacBook and it is terrific alongside iOS - like one big machine with integrated parts I can use as appropriate for whatever I want to do at the time.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I paid a hefty amount of cash for an Arturia V collection (version 5 IIRC) which speaking of "collections", has only collected dust.

You are kidding! That's an amazing collection of classic synths and keyboards. Shame :wink:

• Kinda like sunvox?

• @cokomairena said:
    Kinda like sunvox?

Yeh, a bit. But various sequencers instead of a tracker. Some scripting capabilities, and VST hosting as well.

Kinda as if SunVox and VCVRack had a love child.

• edited September 2021

Well worth it. I love the windows platform but everything is easier with Core audio on the mac. You can have many apps open and use low latency compared to ASIO which only allows 1 app at a time (some rare exceptional audiocard). Route midi anywhere. Superb integration with IOS devices. If you use a DAW, Logic Pro is dirt cheap and amazing. You can send stuff using bluetooth so easily between all your apple devices.

If you want a macbook pro, wait for the next models coming soonish. They will have the newer M1, possibly the return of the magsafe, no more touchbar. U can't go wrong.

@Edward_Alexander said:

• @wim said:

@cokomairena said:
    Kinda like sunvox?

Yeh, a bit. But various sequencers instead of a tracker. Some scripting capabilities, and VST hosting as well.

Kinda as if SunVox and VCVRack had a love child.

And it seems live-coding friendly from what I saw from the description and some videos.
    So maybe even the lovechild of a SunVox, VCVRack and SonicPi orgy :lol:

• The audio sucks on the dev's video, but he's even livecoding to sequence hardware

• This looks fun. It reminds me of Plogue Bidule and Apple's now dead Quartz Composer.

The pricing/feature matrix is great.

• Those who want sample fodder should be aware that it has a feature that dumps the last 30 minutes of audio to disk. Twiddle away, then save it all or ignore it.

Here's the developer's intro video from the site.