Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

-=Coming Together=- (Friday Guitar Improv! - Saturday editing)

edited September 2021 in Creations

As in my two worlds; guitar and synth/iPad music production!

I’m running late as usual, gotta head out the door for work soon, but I wanted to drop off this piece I recorded a few minutes ago. This is another Electric Vintage EP piece that started that way, then ended up busting out the Les Paul Custom.

First post publish listen in the car hasn’t been done yet, but I can hear the guitar is a little loud. I’ll address this later.

Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated as always! 🙏

Aside from the loudness of the guitar track and overall mix, I hope you smell what I’m stepping in!

• Edward❤️

And without the guitar:

Comments

• I was thinking this reminded me of David Gilmour/ Pink Floyd but then I thought, “ No, David Gilmour uses Fender guitars.” But then I looked it up. On “The Wall” he used a 1955 Les Paul on several tracks. Really nice playing here and I really enjoy the arrangement.

• edited September 2021

@MadeofWax said:
    I was thinking this reminded me of David Gilmour/ Pink Floyd but then I thought, “ No, David Gilmour uses Fender guitars.” But then I looked it up. On “The Wall” he used a 1955 Les Paul on several tracks. Really nice playing here and I really enjoy the arrangement.

Thank you so much! David Gilmour? Pshh.. compliments don’t get much better than that! Appreciate the kind words!

• I guess I should have recorded the guitar part separately. This was all ran into a single bus in AUM and recorded. So I’ll have to go back and “re-improvise” the guitar track to get my levels right. Guitar is way too loud in the mix. But then again, no rear view mirrors right??? I’m supposed to be following the @LinearLineman “Hit & Run”/Chinese ink on paper” philosophy…. So I may just keep moving on.

Thing is, I’ll publish a piece then go think about it all day at work, and how I would have done things differently. Depending on how crazy work is though, (and it usually is!) I’ll come home with something totally different in my head.

Oh, more fun facts about this piece;

1. Contains a couple awesome @Poppadocrock presets that he made for the Flowtones synth, and was kind enough to share with the forums.

2. This piece actually started in Drambo. (You can hear the pulsing Euclidean Sequencer playing a part. This is also where I’m using Flowtones and a few other things.

I’ve been utilizing Drambo’s export features lately. It’s pretty amazing how it exports all your patterns, however you have them set, as a perfectly loop-able audio track! And I’m not sure if I was imagining things, but I think it actually respects Atom 2’s pattern start signals!

This opens up a whole new avenue of creative possibilities for me. I can take this exported Drambo audio track into Cubasis 3, or in AUM as I’ve done here. I’m still trying to figure out what exactly this “Sync Quantum” thing in AUM does. I turned it on and set it to 8bars just to see. Hmm 🤔

• Ed, you’re not “supposed” to be doing anything! The best part of this is the guitar playing. Do what you feel.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Ed, you’re not “supposed” to be doing anything! The best part of this is the guitar playing. Do what you feel.

lol I know Mike, I’m just having fun. I like having a mantra if you will. Gives me some structure to my musical planning. And really this is all I live for anymore.. and I love every minute of it. Every minute I get, that is, to make music.

• Play that guitar.

• Really like this one, Ed. Very nice.

• “The best part of this is the guitar playing.”

Thank you for that btw!

I was actually hoping that my guitarisms didn’t take away from the vibe of the piece, as I was rather proud of how this one came together.

Here it is without the guitar track. Might try to do a “re-improv” lead guitar part again with better levels and mix. Added an additional Ravenscroft part in lieu of the missing guitar part.

For now, I hope I’m conveying the feeling or vibe of this. Maybe it’s one of those “you just had to be there” things idk..

• The whole thing is very vibe, I dig that. VERY smooth guitar playing, and the repeated theme is excellent. Who cares if the guitar is loud - it's the focus of the piece. TURN IT UP!

• Loved this one… not even sure you needed to bother with the GeoSax… or is that heresy?

• @Daveypoo said:
    The whole thing is very vibe, I dig that. VERY smooth guitar playing, and the repeated theme is excellent. Who cares if the guitar is loud - it's the focus of the piece. TURN IT UP!

Thank you for that Dave!

While I’ve been a guitar player for 35ish years, I’ve only really started paying attention to mixing, mastering and producing music over the last couple of years. I’ve been teaching myself lately by just doing it; publishing things, then listening to the results on various audio systems, and make adjustments based on what seems to work.

Obviously, I’m still learning about mixing, but the making music part I’m having so much fun with!

Thanks again for listening and for the kind words!🙏

• @NeuM said:
    Really like this one, Ed. Very nice.

Thank you so much! 🙏

• @GeoTony said:
    Loved this one… not even sure you needed to bother with the GeoSax… or is that heresy?

I love it as an expressive instrument I can get some feeling out of while other people in the house are sleeping.

With a guitar, there’s still a lot of noise even if I’m wearing headphones (picks hitting strings and such) Then, there’s the whole weight thing with the Les Paul. Dude, this thing is a tank! Probably up there with the heaviest of all electric guitars. In short, gotta be in the mood for all that.

I don’t know what it was, but I felt like the sax belonged in the piece to answer certain calls, and give it that jazzy bluesy vintage vibe.

• Sounds good mate! ;) I was actually listening earlier on youtube and tought the guitar was waaay to high but now when I'm hearing again I don't think it is. Maybe I took your word for it the first time :)

• @Pxlhg said:
    Sounds good mate! ;) I was actually listening earlier on youtube and tought the guitar was waaay to high but now when I'm hearing again I don't think it is. Maybe I took your word for it the first time :)

Thank you my friend! The guitar is a little loud, and I guess I did rather put that in everyone’s head with the post, but it’s true. ☺️

I’m starting to feel like it’s fitting though, as I did want the guitar to be the star, and the focus of the piece like @Daveypoo says. I’m playing it right now through my iPhone 11 Pro Max speakers for someone at work and it sounds great! 🤙

• @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

• edited September 2021

@MeatWalrus said:
    @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

Thank you! I so appreciate the listens!

Let me try paging @Poppadocrock again, as I used a couple of his Flowtones presets in the backing track(s)

(I've also wondered what @flo26 would think - hint hint ;) )

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

Let me try paging @Poppadocrock again, as I used a couple of his Flowtones presets in the backing track(s)

Dude this is a great sounding track. Definitely a “jam band” type vibe, with some jazzy elements.
    I really dig it.

You mentioned you used a couple presets, I’m pretty sure one is the bass line correct? What was the other one just out of curiosity? Was it a pad or soundscape?

It’s a pretty cool feeling to have some of the first presets you ever shared, used in a track that sounds so good. Cheers man!

• Listening to this I can imagine my self at a festival bobbing my head. Well done.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

Man,it sounds really good!
    Nothing to add or delete!
    Good guitar sound and good playing!
    Bravo!

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

Dude this is a great sounding track. Definitely a “jam band” type vibe, with some jazzy elements.
    I really dig it.

You mentioned you used a couple presets, I’m pretty sure one is the bass line correct? What was the other one just out of curiosity? Was it a pad or soundscape?

It’s a pretty cool feeling to have some of the first presets you ever shared, used in a track that sounds so good. Cheers man!

@Poppadocrock said:
    Listening to this I can imagine my self at a festival bobbing my head. Well done.

Thank you! 🙏

And thanks for making those Flowtones presets! I’ll have to pull the project back up in Drambo (where this piece originated) and see what the names of the presets were, but one of them I know is the little climbing synth melody that starts close to the beginning. (Like :22 -:23).

Glad you like it!

• @flo26 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    @Edward_Alexander
    I dig it man !!
    made me feel good !

Man,it sounds really good!
    Nothing to add or delete!
    Good guitar sound and good playing!
    Bravo!

Thank you so much @flo26 ! Really means a lot coming from you!

• @Poppadocrock it was the “Suitcase followed by a String” from the “Pops1” pack 😉

• @Edward_Alexander

Really cool track.
    Loving the guitar solo.
    Sounding really good as a whole piece.

Nicely done.

• @Gravitas said:
    @Edward_Alexander

Really cool track.
    Loving the guitar solo.
    Sounding really good as a whole piece.

Nicely done.

Thank you my friend! I appreciate that 🙏