Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Buchla reissues (TipTop, Easel)

edited September 2021 in Other

Now that Buchla is getting licensed reissues at accessible pricing, I’m for the first time interested in getting into modular. Anyone else tracking the new announcements, or gotten into the recent reissues from last year?

I’m currently thinking to get the upcoming reworked Easel, except (as they’ve said will be possible) without the keyboard, for which I’ll use my Sensel Thunder as the primary control surface (besides iPad MIDI control). Start with the Command 200c and a couple modules, as well as the presets control they’re debuting. And definitely in the new Easel briefcase for portability along with the iPad.

Presets sound amazing - the ability to save and recall patches really makes for a compelling performance oriented instrument, and in that portable briefcase format (newly thinned). Imagine using it expressively too, if it’s MIDI-controllable: toggle two presets every half bar to divide a looping part into two distinct-sounding synth phrases. An escape from the need for more oscillators/gear/complexity or the plainer sound of bass and lead parts played on the same main instrument separated by octaves alone or basic key range modulations.

The extended Eurorack market is daunting so I think I’d be fine to stick to Buchla to simplify. I wonder if the third party Eurorack Buchla clones (or ones riffing on the originals) are as affordable and compelling as these TipTop ones and would go well together.

Comments

• If price is a lead concern, euro is a hell of a lot more affordable than Buchla. I am almost certainly picking up the tip top collabs though but I’m also skeptical about them getting to market at the prices they’ve stated. Seems like they have done an incredible job with it though, the full system in a mantis case looks so good 🤤

• Yup, I'm quite interested in the TipTop Buchla project. A better fit for me than the Buchla US Music Easel, which is a much more serious commitment in both finances and time.

• Wow, those prices look good. Estimated price for the 258t dual-osc is $160-$200, and 281t quad-function-gen is $170-210. I wonder if the 281t can be used as a slew like Maths? (I don't see an input, only trigger, cycle, & CV ins). That would really open up the possibilities.
    https://tiptopaudio.com/buchla/

B's 2500 range looks spot-on too.
    https://www.behringer.com/series.html?category=R-BEHRINGER-2500SERIES

• I’m quite excited about these. Not so much for myself, but to see what Buchla modules in the right hands can do. I just started into eurorack, and I’d definitely like to add the 258t oscillator and 292t LPG at some point.

• These prices are amazing and almost unbelievable, but definitely interested in these too!

• I took for granted that the new Easel was also TipTop, it seems not but that it's designed for adding those modules into the case. I meant for this topic to include all the semi-accessible recent Buchla reissues.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021/09/19/new-buchla-music-easel-at-superbooth-2021/

• Here's the Tiptop Buchla site for those who haven't already found it.

https://tiptopaudio.com/buchla/

• edited September 2021

@wahnfrieden Sure you already know this, but Buchla is 4U, Eurorack is 3U. Power requirements, 'standards' are very different, voltage ranges, different triggers/pulses, banana jacks with ground, etc....

Take a look at Make Noise, Befaco, Random Source for Buchla/Serge-inspired Eurorack modules. (And the new TipTop).

• @wahnfrieden said:
    I took for granted that the new Easel was also TipTop, it seems not but that it's designed for adding those modules into the case. I meant for this topic to include all the semi-accessible recent Buchla reissues.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021/09/19/new-buchla-music-easel-at-superbooth-2021/

Yeah, this new music easel case has space for extra modules, but it’s only compatible with 4U Buchla modules. The new TipTop modules are Euro only, so 3U. Like @ocelot said, eurorack and Buchla aren’t exactly compatible formats. Buchla, for example is engineered for 1.2v/oct, whereas eurorack is 1v/oct. in addition to several other compatibility issues.

• Haha, I didn't know those other ones existed like 6u (huge!).

• @auxmux said:
    Haha, I didn't know those other ones existed like 6u (huge!).

I heard about Wiard but never realized they were 6U. Bet it feels like luxury patching with that much space!

• Yeah those Wiard 6u are nearly unobtainium and $$$$$$. But Make Noise and Malekko have a few Eurorack modules based on them, at least the Richter-designed ones.

The Megawave was one of the most useful modules - 8-bit wavetable-osc, waveshaper (think Grind by AD), LFO, quantizer, sequencer...surprised Malekko discontinued them, they were pretty cheap (~$250, iirc). It needs to be driven by a nearly-perfect sawtooth though.

• Yeah, Wogglebug by Make Noise is influenced by Wiard. It's a lot of fun.

• @aleyas said:

@wahnfrieden said:
    I took for granted that the new Easel was also TipTop, it seems not but that it's designed for adding those modules into the case. I meant for this topic to include all the semi-accessible recent Buchla reissues.

Yeah, this new music easel case has space for extra modules, but it’s only compatible with 4U Buchla modules. The new TipTop modules are Euro only, so 3U. Like @ocelot said, eurorack and Buchla aren’t exactly compatible formats. Buchla, for example is engineered for 1.2v/oct, whereas eurorack is 1v/oct. in addition to several other compatibility issues.

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up.

It seems they've brought the cost of the Easel down dramatically with the redesign. I wonder if this signals any more affordability for future 4U modules too then. The Easel is tempting, the keyboard seems superfluous with the Sensel with Thunder overlay but would be expensive to use that space for several other 4U units.

• 281t and 258t appear to be the first TipTop Buchla modules scheduled for release. They will look a little lonely inside a Mantis case - so maybe I'll get an Empress Euroburo to keep them company, as I'm already familiar with how Zoia works.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    281t and 258t appear to be the first TipTop Buchla modules scheduled for release. They will look a little lonely inside a Mantis case - so maybe I'll get an Empress Euroburo to keep them company, as I'm already familiar with how Zoia works.

I can get behind this rationalization... Yeah, the Euroburo is very tempting and may be my entry into full modular. I don't want to buy too small of a case and quickly outgrow it, but if I go too big it'll look too empty.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    281t and 258t appear to be the first TipTop Buchla modules scheduled for release. They will look a little lonely inside a Mantis case - so maybe I'll get an Empress Euroburo to keep them company, as I'm already familiar with how Zoia works.

I can get behind this rationalization... Yeah, the Euroburo is very tempting and may be my entry into full modular. I don't want to buy too small of a case and quickly outgrow it, but if I go too big it'll look too empty.

Yeah planning for the case will be fun. Because I do want to leave room for the rest of the TipTop & Buchla modules - especially Source of Uncertainty Model 266t

• Would there be any particular interoperability even in terms of audio input between the new Easel and TipTop? The Easel is compelling for me but seems like a brick wall in terms of affordability of expansion, so I can see myself getting into TipTop as well but wonder if it’s better to go all-in on one or the other.

• Just realized I can use my MOTU to augment 4U Buchla, with software CV from the iPad that would allow incorporating Eurorack via iPad as the bridge, or any other iPad tools. Ultralite mk5 makes this pretty portable, to go with the idea of a portable performance oriented Easel/iPad setup and could allow extending with TipTop Buchla later.

• edited September 2021

@wahnfrieden Have you created an account on the MuffWiggler forum yet?

And are you referring to the Buchla EASEL COMMAND (208C with case & MIDI) for $2999? Link.

That's gorgeous!

There's CoVariant for the iPad and MOTU's Volta desktop plugin, but I have no earthly idea if either works with Buchla. I've only used them with Eurorack.

Speaking of Eurorack, have you folks seen this little guy? Looks familiar. And only $550, or less for the module.

Ever tried the CellF Voice panel from Nonlinear Circuits? What a steal at $800. If only I could find an Action panel...

• The Pico system knobs seem painful to use. I'm not a fan of tiny knobs. Hard to hold and imprecise. Works for level controls and that's really it.

I don't think Covariant works with Buchla. I believe the voltages are higher for banana cables, or is it lower. There's ways to get interoperability but you can fry one or the other system if you do it wrong.