Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Artinoise Re.Corder bluetooth midi breath controller

€125-ish on Thomann, its a Bluetooth MIDI recorder style breath controller. Also it can be played as a recorder acoustically. I’ve been looking for something for SWAM tuba for a tuba-based idea I’m contemplating, so this are some first impressions in case anyone is interested.

1. There’s an iPhone app which lets you configure the thing, including editing fingerings, changing CC numbers, MIDI channel, response curves etc. Works fine. It also has a soundfont player, an educational program, and it can connect two recorders at once. Configuration is saved to the recorder. There are no scenes, so you’ll need the app to reconfigure the instrument.

2. It also connects using the Korg bluetooth midi app. No problems.

3. Outputs breath pressure, notes, accelerometer tilt, rotate, and «z-direction» which I don’t understand what is. Breath pressure works great with my limited experience. It defaults outputting CC 11 Expression. Tilt works fine, outputs per default to CC 1, but tilting the recorder can impede the breathing a bit so you might have to move your head with the motion which feels kind of… exuberant, but still, thats two dimension of expression. Rotate works too, but it’s harder to control, and again, it can interrupt airflow. It outputs per default to CC 52; I’m thinking of remapping to pitch bend or something. Z-axis is normally disabled, I don’t know what it does.

4. Pretty good tubaing.

5. More features: It can be played as a keyboard, and with notes initiated without breath by just the lips touching the mouthpiece. Or as an acoustic recorder. I haven’t tried any of them; you have to configure this using the app.

6. Frustrations: turns out I don’t remember any recorder fingerings. One can create custom fingerings, but I guess it’s better to practice. Per the standard config, when you make a fingering mistake, there is no sound at all. This can be reconfigured to play latest note again, which is better for my sanity at least. You basically will want to configure the thing for your taste, and this will probably require some round trips between the configuration app and the music app.

The ‘rotate’ gesture is a bit hard to use, and like the tilt, you kind of have to move your head with the movement.

There are quirks to the instrument of course. But it seems to be pretty reliable after a couple of hours of messing about.

1. Resources: There’s a mozaic patch: https://patchstorage.com/re-corder-moz-for-artinoise-re-corder/

Homepage, with videos: http://www.artinoise.com/
Thomann link: https://www.thomannmusic.com/artinoise_re.corder_white.htm

That’s all I got!