Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SampleTron by IK Multimedia

Comments

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@richardyot said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@richardyot said:. It's a mellotron. You're not going to get that sound with Koala or Obsidian. So I guess that's the point: if you want that sound, but don't want to buy an actual mellotron, then you can get an app instead.

I get it Richard; that some people just want a “Mellotron app”, though I’ll still argue the fact that even with Koala (since you mentioned it) one can sample the Strawberry Fields flute sound for example, and have a 1:1 sample of the exact sound. I didn’t think Koala had a “sound” of its own (unless you start coloring the recorded sample with its effects and such), but was only reproducing the sound that you sampled with it.

But if you apply that logic you could argue that there's no point in buying Beathawk or any of its sample packs, since you can just sample the instruments yourself ;)

No-one is likely to be able to sample several different mellotrons, and all their associated tapes. And that's not to mention the DSP that's also involved, to get the tape emulation.

This is true, and Beathawk, with all of its available sample packs add up to well over the $70 they’re asking for here if you buy them all. I bought Beathawk way back when when it was on sale for like $10 and only bought a couple IAPs before I realized what they were doing. Now, I’ll only buy one if it has sounds that I just can’t get anywhere else. And that’s rare.

Don’t get me wrong, like I said, if this was $10 or maybe $14.99 at the most, I think I’d buy it. Otherwise I just don’t see the value in it for me personally.

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I’m gonna stick this over on the “probably won’t ever buy” shelf next to “Mixbox”.

What don’t you like about Mixbox?

Just the price. And see below…

@ecou said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I’m gonna stick this over on the “probably won’t ever buy” shelf next to “Mixbox”.

Sampletron is a pass since I have it in Beathawk.

But Mixbox is totally worth it. Especially for somebody who does not have tons of effects already. It could save you a ton on buying all the mixing effect separately. The effects are top shelf and the free artists presets are fun too. Jakob Haq as a serie of preset.

I understand, it might make sense for someone who doesn't have tons of effects like you say, but I do have tons of effects, audio and midi, all of the specialty effects like delays, reverbs, choruses, distortions, manglers, etc etc, but also the “studio effects” for mixing and mastering like compressors, limiters, EQs and such.

We’ll see what the sale price is during Black Friday and maybe I’ll pick it up, just so I can say I have it lol

Not a salesman, and certainly not for IK. One aspect that gets often overlooked imo, is that these studio classics are loved not only because of the sound, but the ease of use... maybe a bit bold statement, but you can’t really go wrong with them. You can spend an hour trying to achieve something with a universal tool, you may even get there, but with these, you will get there in a minute (if you choose the right tool for the job). It’s about familiar and transferable UI/layout, minimal set of controls, to the point operation. You don’t have to fight these to sound like X, because most settings will sound good without sweating... I use about 15% of the collection and wouldn’t want to use anything else on iOS as a replacement.

I agree with this 100%. There’s no substitute on iOS for what mixbox offers.

• Is v tempting but I’m still going to hold out for my Streetlytron to go AUv3

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys
    Let's hope the IKM representative that's been posting in this thread is taking note of your feedback, it's not the first time points of a similar nature has been raised and they seem very valid to me.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@richardyot said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@richardyot said:. It's a mellotron. You're not going to get that sound with Koala or Obsidian. So I guess that's the point: if you want that sound, but don't want to buy an actual mellotron, then you can get an app instead.

I get it Richard; that some people just want a “Mellotron app”, though I’ll still argue the fact that even with Koala (since you mentioned it) one can sample the Strawberry Fields flute sound for example, and have a 1:1 sample of the exact sound. I didn’t think Koala had a “sound” of its own (unless you start coloring the recorded sample with its effects and such), but was only reproducing the sound that you sampled with it.

But if you apply that logic you could argue that there's no point in buying Beathawk or any of its sample packs, since you can just sample the instruments yourself ;)

No-one is likely to be able to sample several different mellotrons, and all their associated tapes. And that's not to mention the DSP that's also involved, to get the tape emulation.

This is true, and Beathawk, with all of its available sample packs add up to well over the $70 they’re asking for here if you buy them all. I bought Beathawk way back when when it was on sale for like $10 and only bought a couple IAPs before I realized what they were doing. Now, I’ll only buy one if it has sounds that I just can’t get anywhere else. And that’s rare.

Don’t get me wrong, like I said, if this was $10 or maybe $14.99 at the most, I think I’d buy it. Otherwise I just don’t see the value in it for me personally.

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

What don’t you like about Mixbox?

Just the price. And see below…

@ecou said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

Sampletron is a pass since I have it in Beathawk.

But Mixbox is totally worth it. Especially for somebody who does not have tons of effects already. It could save you a ton on buying all the mixing effect separately. The effects are top shelf and the free artists presets are fun too. Jakob Haq as a serie of preset.

I understand, it might make sense for someone who doesn't have tons of effects like you say, but I do have tons of effects, audio and midi, all of the specialty effects like delays, reverbs, choruses, distortions, manglers, etc etc, but also the “studio effects” for mixing and mastering like compressors, limiters, EQs and such.

We’ll see what the sale price is during Black Friday and maybe I’ll pick it up, just so I can say I have it lol

I don’t believe in being a completist. If you don’t have a need for it I respect that. Don’t buy it.

• @BCKeys said:

@jonmoore said:
    Ref the SampleTron 2 price, sure £60 is a reasonable chunk of change in the iOS app economy, and that's with an introductory discount too. But if you value Mellotron timbres, this is the best emulation on the platform, and that's where you'll make your personal value judgement.

I remember the Hammond B-3X that was at $99 intro price, supposed to go up to $129.

I had to rush to buy it at the intro price, supposedly the cheapest price. I hurried, it went down to $79 a few weeks later..

IK is experimenting to see how much the market is willing to pay for app if their caliber.and also what price will give them the best return. It is still a market under development.

Tonebooster and Nembrini have raised priced of apps in high demands.

In the end more expensive app are better for the iOS ecosystem. But not for our wallets 😉

• @BCKeys said:
    I asked for basic functions for Syntronik, IKM never listened to me. As opaque as Apple, you do with what we give, if you have desires, tell us, we will explain you how to do without it 😁

You are mistaking a software company for a bespoke tailor.

Software companies don't do what every single customer asks them to do. Bespoke tailors do. And you pay through the nose for it. :smiley:

• edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

@Simon said:

@BCKeys said:
    I asked for basic functions for Syntronik, IKM never listened to me. As opaque as Apple, you do with what we give, if you have desires, tell us, we will explain you how to do without it 😁

You are mistaking a software company for a bespoke tailor.

Software companies don't do what every single customer asks them to do. Bespoke tailors do. And you pay through the nose for it. :smiley:

I talk about presets import/export. It doesn’t exist in Syntronik.

Don’t you think it's an essential element within an iPad music app ? Especially for a synth..

When I buy some of the most expensive apps in the app store, I think it's fair to require that the very basic functions are included.

I can also talk about all the other publishers who sell their apps at a fair price and yet continue to make constant improvements to their apps because they know their users are waiting for it.

In the recent examples that come to my mind, FabFilter has just added the import/export function for free , DiscoDSP has greatly improved its OB-XD application despite a complicated start 2 yrs ago.

I'm talking about all those developers who sell apps and continue to make them exist.

I can also talk about Korg Module, it’s tons of improvements since it’s been released. Steinberg evolving their DAW bit by bit. With a lot of efforts and communication. SWAM, which submits its users to beta tests to maximize feedback.

I’m sure you have tons of examples that will come to your mind, too 🙂

So should we think that these devs who do bespoke tailor work often for a small fee are being exploited?

If the price to pay for long life and continuous improvements is the desktop price, then let's go.

But for now, whether it's $100 on iOS or $300 on MacOS, I expect the same level of service, considering considering that part of this price is allocated to maintenance.

But hey, I'm a joke, I own almost all of the IKM apps 😅

You make a lot of good points - I agree with you 100%.

It was just your earlier comment "I asked for basic functions for Syntronik, IKM never listened to me" that seemed strange to me because big software companies are not normally organised to respond to requests by individual people and it sounded like you expected that.

But I agree with your points - I hate it when an app has no presets. Epecially with an expensive piece of software.

• I can’t believe this hasn’t been asked yet, but how does this compare with Streetlytron?

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I can’t believe this hasn’t been asked yet, but how does this compare with Streetlytron?

Streetlytron is great as it's another of those products that've been created in partnership with Streetly Electronics (creators of both the original and modern-day versions of the Mellotron). On the negative, the library isn't as large as SampleTron 2 (I'm not including the non-Tron instruments in SampleTron 2) and it's not AUv3. But on the positive it still has many of the classic Mellotron samples included in its 1.7Gb library and Streetlytron Pro is only £13 so that's a major price advantage.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

You can also use this, it’s free http://www.leisureland.us/mellotron.htm
    I use it within AudioLayer, it sounds great :)

A sample library is a little different to a dedicated Mellotron emulation but sure that's a decent enough sample library with regards to the instruments it samples, especially as it's based on the more recent M4000 (although some will naysay the modern incarnation of the Tron).

• Mellowsound by Fingerlab is AUV3 and sounds pretty good for the price.
    https://apps.apple.com/es/app/mellowsound/id1313209081

• @moher said:
    Mellowsound by Fingerlab is AUV3 and sounds pretty good for the price.
    https://apps.apple.com/es/app/mellowsound/id1313209081

Agree. Eventhough it has a fairly limited number of voices it features the main ones Mellotron lovers would expect.
    The only other downside is that it’s too realistic with the samples cutting out after 8 seconds (like the actual Mellotron).

• Mellotron xl is really good sounding!

• edited September 2021

The Sound Test Room video:

• I’m digging it. Not as simple to use as Streetlytron or Chamberlin, but way more options of sounds and models and excellent modeling effects. Yes it is pricey and takes a boatload of storage space, but it is a definitive collection of those types of instruments. Plus the capability to load user samples. A fantastic musical tool.

• WEN 50% OFF SALE ADMINS???

• @ElkwoodDarrow said:
    WEN 50% OFF SALE ADMINS???

It's still brand new and I suspect sales are going well, despite the current price. I'm still considering buying it myself.

• edited November 2021

Yeah, it’s the non-Tron samples that excite (and the ability to load my own… hmmm… ).

• The price has gone up to £89.99.

• @ElkwoodDarrow said:
    WEN 50% OFF SALE ADMINS???

Right now it would seem

• When I saw the price go up to £89.99 I had a suspicion that a 50% was on the way. I don't usually double up on iOS and desktop apps but I picked up Sampletron 2 when it was £60 and didn't regret it (I use it a lot for added texture when working with Dorico on the iPad). I think it's pretty decent value at £45 as it's far more than a set of Mellotron samples. The synthesis and fx elements allow you to do some really expressive stuff with its three layers (which can be thought of as three separate oscillators in synthesis terms), and the tape simulation can be used for everything from subtle compression through to circuit-bent madness.

• edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Version 1.1.0 is out:

What’s New in v1.1.0

• Added Preset Sharing: you can now import and export multiple presets at a time
    • Added the ability to import folders containing audio samples in import sample feature
    • Added adjustable polyphony limit fader in app settings
    • Onscreen keys that do not produce a sound will be darkened
    • Fixed an issue where sample rate and buffer settings were not retaining after closing the app
    • Fixed a crash that could potentially occur after inserting invalid characters in import sample
    • General reliability improvements

*Some new features require iOS 13 or later

• Any long time iOS users out there? What's your impression of this one, is it worth the price? There are still no AUV3 alternatives as far as I can see, so I'm considering a purchase. Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro is only Inter-App Audio. Hm ...

• @WJD said:
    Any long time iOS users out there? What's your impression of this one, is it worth the price? There are still no AUV3 alternatives as far as I can see, so I'm considering a purchase. Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro is only Inter-App Audio. Hm ...

I like it, I've used it in a couple of tracks as a lo-fi pad/texture, and it works really well for that purpose. It has a bit more to it than most other Mellotron apps, in that you can go for the straight vintage sound, or a more modern variant. The fact that it has ADSR controls really helps IMO.

• I’m constantly tempted by this but that price man. I wish I could use my IK jam bucks to put towards it but that seems to only work for desktop and hardware.

I already have the Fingerlabs app, Lo-Fi tape/piano, the Streetlytron stuff, and the Mellotron stuff itself. Plus more synth and tape effects than I can throw a stick at. Can’t decide how much I’d really be missing out on, though the features list is tempting.

• @richardyot said:

@WJD said:
    Any long time iOS users out there? What's your impression of this one, is it worth the price? There are still no AUV3 alternatives as far as I can see, so I'm considering a purchase. Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro is only Inter-App Audio. Hm ...

I like it, I've used it in a couple of tracks as a lo-fi pad/texture, and it works really well for that purpose. It has a bit more to it than most other Mellotron apps, in that you can go for the straight vintage sound, or a more modern variant. The fact that it has ADSR controls really helps IMO.

How does it fair in competition with everything else? I have the streetlytron apps, the Mellotron apps themselves, Fingerlabs, Lo-Fi tape/piano, etc. would it offer anything more considering I have all of those?