Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Weird or Disturbing Errors Discovered In iOS 15… Post Here

Comments

• @NeonSilicon said:

I don't use Cubasis 2 except for testing AU's in some of their demo tracks and I never tested on iPadOS 15.0.1, but I did just try it on the beta 4 of iPadOS 15.1 and I'm not seeing any UI or transport control issues. We should be getting pretty close to the release of 15.1. Maybe there is some hope there.

Very good to know/hope for...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Bon_Tempi said:

@musikeer said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@musikeer said:
    Cubasis 2 is almost completely non-responsive, with screen freezes constantly. Non-usable. Transport stalls or won’t even start. Also random screen freezes in other apps. Cubasis 3 doesn’t seem to have that problem. iPad Air 3, iPadOS 15.0.1. And the MIDI app problems that Bram Bos has acknowledged, with Perforator and FAC Envolver.

Edit: Cubasis 3 is working great. Dragged kicking and screaming to update, and very glad I did. Hope the MIDI problems get sorted out when possible.

Is the Cubasis 2 problem confirmed by others?

Is it still happening for you?

I am deeply worried - since I have so many projects in Cubasis 2 which I haven’t yet transferred into CB3 ...

If you haven't updated to 15, I don't recommend it. Cubasis 3 isn't compatible with Perforator and Envolver, and Cubasis 2 isn't compatible with iOS 15. I wish I could revert back to 14.8, which worked flawlessly with Cubasis 2. I waited until finishing a huge soon to be released project to update to 15, but still have many tunes which are in Cubasis 2. They transferred well to Cubasis 3, except for the problems with Perforator, Envolver, and now Neo-Soul Keys Studio 1 and 2. I think the Air 3 isn't powerful enough for NSK2. Mixdowns are glitchy no matter the settings. Extremely burnt out on these constant update conflicts.

I see - ok ....

Yes, all of this is really frustrating and slowly pushing me away from the idea to finish my songs on the Ipad -

I guess I will use the Ipad just as an sound-generator - and finish my songs again on the laptop ... sadly

CB3 was never stable for me - and when I will now loose also the ability to use CB2 - then I guess that’s it!

Is Steinberg aware of this issue with CB2 and IOS15 - @LFS ?

Will CB2 still get updated?

Hi @Bon_Tempi, Hi@musikeer,

Thanks for your message.

Cubasis 3 should run fine with iOS 15, the reported Perforator and Envolver issues should be resolved in the upcoming update release.

Important:
    We are unaware of dedicated Cubasis 2 issues with iOS 15!
    If possible, please provide me with detailed bug reports asap, in order to have the team look at these issues.

Thanks
    & stay safe,
    Lars

• I've been testing both Cubasis 2 and 3, Neo-Soul Keys 1 and 2, Perforator and Envolver, iPadOS 15, 15.01, 15.02 over and over for many days. It's a little mind-numbing trying to track down where the errors are. Cubasis 2 did in fact freeze constantly on an Air 3. Finally, NSK said that NSK2 isn't supported on the Air 3.

But what I believe I've narrowed down, are the constant freezes in Cubasis 2. I use Perforator and Envolver in many projects. It seems that even though Perforator and Envolver weren't working, they adversely affected the whole project(s). I re-imported some archived Cubasis 2 files, a lot with over 30-40 tracks, MIDI and audio, and the ones WITHOUT using the two MIDI apps seem to play back with no freezes.

I could never be sure whether 15.X, Neo-Soul Keys, Cubasis or the MIDI apps were the culprit. But as I said, it seems to all be centered around the MIDI apps not working. iOS 15x has been known to cause the screen freezes as well. 15.0.2 supposedly has corrected/addressed that. I haven't noticed any freezes since updating to that OS. This is all very confusing, making it difficult to pin down the reasons for freezing and unresponsiveness.

The point is, Cubasis 2 seems to be working fine in at least iPadOS 15.0.2. It’s been a fantastic app, hence my worries when things seemed to be going haywire. Technical term.

• @LFS said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@musikeer said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@musikeer said:
    Cubasis 2 is almost completely non-responsive, with screen freezes constantly. Non-usable. Transport stalls or won’t even start. Also random screen freezes in other apps. Cubasis 3 doesn’t seem to have that problem. iPad Air 3, iPadOS 15.0.1. And the MIDI app problems that Bram Bos has acknowledged, with Perforator and FAC Envolver.

Edit: Cubasis 3 is working great. Dragged kicking and screaming to update, and very glad I did. Hope the MIDI problems get sorted out when possible.

Is the Cubasis 2 problem confirmed by others?

Is it still happening for you?

I am deeply worried - since I have so many projects in Cubasis 2 which I haven’t yet transferred into CB3 ...

If you haven't updated to 15, I don't recommend it. Cubasis 3 isn't compatible with Perforator and Envolver, and Cubasis 2 isn't compatible with iOS 15. I wish I could revert back to 14.8, which worked flawlessly with Cubasis 2. I waited until finishing a huge soon to be released project to update to 15, but still have many tunes which are in Cubasis 2. They transferred well to Cubasis 3, except for the problems with Perforator, Envolver, and now Neo-Soul Keys Studio 1 and 2. I think the Air 3 isn't powerful enough for NSK2. Mixdowns are glitchy no matter the settings. Extremely burnt out on these constant update conflicts.

I see - ok ....

Yes, all of this is really frustrating and slowly pushing me away from the idea to finish my songs on the Ipad -

I guess I will use the Ipad just as an sound-generator - and finish my songs again on the laptop ... sadly

CB3 was never stable for me - and when I will now loose also the ability to use CB2 - then I guess that’s it!

Is Steinberg aware of this issue with CB2 and IOS15 - @LFS ?

Will CB2 still get updated?

Hi @Bon_Tempi, Hi@musikeer,

Thanks for your message.

Cubasis 3 should run fine with iOS 15, the reported Perforator and Envolver issues should be resolved in the upcoming update release.

Important:
    We are unaware of dedicated Cubasis 2 issues with iOS 15!
    If possible, please provide me with detailed bug reports asap, in order to have the team look at these issues.

Thanks
    & stay safe,
    Lars

So you have CB 2 working fine on iOS 15, 15+?

One of the main reasons I’m still on 14.8 is because of some issues mentioned here about CB2.

So anyone on iOS 15. 15+ out there, that is having issues, please report your here or DM them to @LFS so they can figure it out. Thanks.

• @Poppadocrock said:

So you have CB 2 working fine on iOS 15, 15+?

One of the main reasons I’m still on 14.8 is because of some issues mentioned here about CB2.

So anyone on iOS 15. 15+ out there, that is having issues, please report your here or DM them to @LFS so they can figure it out. Thanks.

If you don’t have to update, no real need. But Cubasis 2 seems to be working fine in 15.0.2, except for the MIDI problems with Perforator and Envolver. Soon to be fixed in an update says Steinberg.

• Bugs for me so far are Moog Model D graphical interface messed up, and Ravenscroft locking up when accessing the config menu. That's for the standalones, AUs fine in AUM.

• I just got this in iPadOS 15.0.2:

What I did was:

• I was working on a project in AUM
    • Then I opened testflight and installed ZOA.
    • From testflight I opened ZOA in standalone.
    • Switched back to my open AUM project to load ZOA as an audio unit midi processor and then all audio units were missing in the list.
  • @White said:
    I just got this in iPadOS 15.0.2:

What I did was:

• Switched back to my open AUM project to load ZOA as an audio unit midi processor and then all audio units were missing in the list.

I've not encountered this error in ages and I guess it could partially be the way I usually install apps...
    ...I always close all apps before installing any new apps or app-updates and then launch the stand-alone app first.

• @Samu said:

@White said:
    I just got this in iPadOS 15.0.2:

What I did was:

I've not encountered this error in ages and I guess it could partially be the way I usually install apps...
    ...I always close all apps before installing any new apps or app-updates and then launch the stand-alone app first.

Good tip 👍 I will try to remember to close all apps the next time I install and update apps 😊

• @White said:

Good tip 👍 I will try to remember to close all apps the next time I install and update apps 😊

It's been working for me...
    ...my reasoning behind this is that apps on launch get a cached copy of AUv3/Extension list and when the list is updated in the background the app keeps on using the 'cached' list and since the cache is flushed/updated when installing apps the previously cached list is 'out dated'. (I don't know if developers have a way to monitor changes to the AUv3 cache or what ever it's called).

This was a problem with Logic way back when plug-ins requested a reboot so the caches could be updated.

I encountered this 'bug' the first time on iPadOS14.x or something (I had auto update enabled) and only a handful of times but after I disabled auto-update and started to manually close apps before installing or updating apps I've not seen it even once...

Thankfully a simple reboot solves the issue if/when it happens...
    ...and on reboot iOS/iPadOS automatically rebuilds the cache files...

• edited October 2021

@Samu said:

@White said:

...my reasoning behind this is that apps on launch get a cached copy of AUv3/Extension list and when the list is updated in the background the app keeps on using the 'cached' list and since the cache is flushed/updated when installing apps the previously cached list is 'out dated'. (I don't know if developers have a way to monitor changes to the AUv3 cache or what ever it's called).

This was a problem with Logic way back when plug-ins requested a reboot so the caches could be updated.

I encountered this 'bug' the first time on iPadOS14.x or something (I had auto update enabled) and only a handful of times but after I disabled auto-update and started to manually close apps before installing or updating apps I've not seen it even once...

Thankfully a simple reboot solves the issue if/when it happens...
    ...and on reboot iOS/iPadOS automatically rebuilds the cache files...

I believe what you are referring to is called “garbage collection” in programming (not a joke).

• @NeuM said:

I believe what you are referring to is called “garbage collection” in programming (not a joke).

Could be...

Don't really know what's causing it in practice but it something is fishy...
    ...I mean no one 'sane' would try to update an app that is already running and expect it to 'just work' without issues or?!
    (Ie. Apple could take precaution and alert the user that the app/instance they are trying to update is in currently in use).

Updates to apps that do not rely on extensions, run in the background and do proper state-saves are not affect as much as they just reload the last saved states when the user launches the app after update. (This is pretty evident when updating some social media apps, they just 'relaunch/reload' after the update even if they were already running).

AppleTV takes this a notch further it just jettisons (ie. hard terminate) memory hungry apps when it does it's background app updates.

So for me I've ended up disabling auto-update and closing all apps before I download new or update existing apps and the 'issue' has not popped up even once.

And I have a hunch that since the 'problem' can be solved by a simple reboot Apple doesn't put too much effort into troubleshooting it...

Cheers!

• I'm frustrated with iOS 15.

After the update, there are two virtual midi ports that will appear without opening any music app.

One is called Streambyter, and logically, it's tied to the Streambyter app. The thing is, even after uninstalling the Streambyter app, and rebooting my iPad Pro M1, the virtual port will continue appearing in the list of midi devices after some time.

The other port is named AK Virtual Midi, and I don't have any idea of what application is creating this.

So I tried to restore the iPad to the factory settings.

After an entire evening reinstalling each app, the Streambyter port is no longer appearing if I don't have the app installed.

But the AK Virtual Midi port will continue appearing in AUM after some time.

• @Pynchon said:
    I'm frustrated with iOS 15.

After the update, there are two virtual midi ports that will appear without opening any music app.

One is called Streambyter, and logically, it's tied to the Streambyter app. The thing is, even after uninstalling the Streambyter app, and rebooting my iPad Pro M1, the virtual port will continue appearing in the list of midi devices after some time.

The other port is named AK Virtual Midi, and I don't have any idea of what application is creating this.

After an entire evening reinstalling each app, the Streambyter port is no longer appearing if I don't have the app installed.

Just guessing here, something to do with AudioKit?

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

Just guessing here, something to do with AudioKit?

The AudioKit apps I have create virtual ports with their own names. The AK port may come from 3rd party apps implemented using AudioKit.

• Thanks @NeonSilicon and @uncledave for the advice.

I tried all the AudioKit apps without luck.

At the end, I have found the solution via brute force.

Trying to uninstall every app one by one, and looking if the ghost midi port disappeared

At the end, the responsible was Spliqs.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spliqs/id1459170646

After uninstalling this, the port stopped appearing, even without having opened the app.

• I updated from 13.7 to 15 recently and suddenly my AUM sessions now often won’t auto load the IAA apps unless I reboot- pretty annoying-

• @Samu said:

@White said:

We do. The system sends a notification when the AUv3/IAA list was updated, that host apps can (and does) listen to. So the problem seems iOS sometimes breaks this list and makes it appear empty.

• @Pynchon said:

I noticed this today as well, but found a simpler fix. In both AUM and Audiobus, I saw virtual MIDI ports for StreamByter and MIDIFire. Now, I have run StreamByter stand-alone recently, but have not run MIDIFire since updating from iPadOS 14.8 to iPadOS 15.1, and both were not running at the time. I loaded SB, force-quit it, and the port was gone. I restarted AUM for good measure. So I loaded MIDIFire, and it gave an error "Could not initialize Core MIDI", probably due to these orphan ports. Force-quit MIDIFire, and its ports were gone as well.

So, you may just need to start the source app and force-quit it to erase these orphan virtual MIDI ports. And I'm not sure that they're actually a problem, in any case.

• @uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

I noticed this today as well, but found a simpler fix. In both AUM and Audiobus, I saw virtual MIDI ports for StreamByter and MIDIFire. Now, I have run StreamByter stand-alone recently, but have not run MIDIFire since updating from iPadOS 14.8 to iPadOS 15.1, and both were not running at the time. I loaded SB, force-quit it, and the port was gone. I restarted AUM for good measure. So I loaded MIDIFire, and it gave an error "Could not initialize Core MIDI", probably due to these orphan ports. Force-quit MIDIFire, and its ports were gone as well.

So, you may just need to start the source app and force-quit it to erase these orphan virtual MIDI ports. And I'm not sure that they're actually a problem, in any case.

Yeah, opening and quitting the app will make the ports disappear.

And they will not appear again... until you restart your iPad. After powering off the device, I have found that the ports will return without opening the apps.

At least I have a solution to make the ports disappear, knowing from which app was the elusive AK Virtual Midi. This bastard drove me crazy.

• @Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

And they will not appear again... until you restart your iPad. After powering off the device, I have found that the ports will return without opening the apps.

At least I have a solution to make the ports disappear, knowing from which app was the elusive AK Virtual Midi. This bastard drove me crazy.

Right. Sounds like there are bugs in certain apps, where the system queries them for something and they create their virtual ports, as if they were going to run, then they fail to close them down. If it's repeatable, we should maybe let the devs know, since there's no error logged.

• edited November 2021

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

Right. Sounds like there are bugs in certain apps, where the system queries them for something and they create their virtual ports, as if they were going to run, then they fail to close them down. If it's repeatable, we should maybe let the devs know, since there's no error logged.

You're a genius, @uncledave . Thinking in your explanation of the system requesting some services of the app, and opening the MIDI ports, I have finally find a solution that doesn't involve to delete the apps.

It was the damn Siri.

If you go to the Siri option in the control center app, you can see the individual options for each app.

I first deactivated the learning from this app option in Spliqs, the port continued appearing after some time.

So I also turned off the last two options, I don't know how they are named in English, but here is a screenshot:

And the ghost port is no longer appearing!

• @Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

You're a genius, @uncledave . Thinking in your explanation of the system requesting some services of the app, and opening the MIDI ports, I have finally find a solution that doesn't involve to delete the apps.

It was the damn Siri.

If you go to the Siri option in the control center app, you can see the individual options for each app.

I first deactivated the learning from this app option in Spliqs, the port continued appearing after some time.

So I also turned off the last two options, I don't know how they are named in English, but here is a screenshot:

The last two are the "Show on Home Screen" and "Suggest App" options I think.

If you launch and then close one of the apps with the Search settings the way you have them now, does the port shutdown when the app closes?

• @Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

@uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:

It was the damn Siri.

This is good, but I'm sceptical. I saw these ports, probably after a restart, as you suggest. But I've always turned off all search options, except "Show app in search", the second of the five options. And they've been off for the apps I saw. We'll see how this works out.

• @NeonSilicon @uncledave The port has appeared again, so it wasn’t Siri. Having the options activated or deactivated won’t affect the possibility of erasing the MIDI bus when you close the app.

The problem is that the ports will eventually return without opening the apps after a few hours.

I have disabled the other two remaining options in Siri, related with Search. But I’m skeptical. I think that the only solution now is Apple fixing this new iOS 15 bug in future updates.

• @Pynchon said:
    @NeonSilicon @uncledave The port has appeared again, so it wasn’t Siri. Having the options activated or deactivated won’t affect the possibility of erasing the MIDI bus when you close the app.

The problem is that the ports will eventually return without opening the apps after a few hours.

I have disabled the other two remaining options in Siri, related with Search. But I’m skeptical. I think that the only solution now is Apple fixing this new iOS 15 bug in future updates.

nic, the author of StreamByter has an explanation in this post. Apparently iOS is trying to pre-start "frequently-used" apps, and some of them are not prepared to be launched in the background like this. So it's really something for the devs and Apple to straighten out.

• @uncledave said:

@Pynchon said:
    @NeonSilicon @uncledave The port has appeared again, so it wasn’t Siri. Having the options activated or deactivated won’t affect the possibility of erasing the MIDI bus when you close the app.

nic, the author of StreamByter has an explanation in this post. Apparently iOS is trying to pre-start "frequently-used" apps, and some of them are not prepared to be launched in the background like this. So it's really something for the devs and Apple to straighten out.

Argh. It would be really helpful if everyone would stop trying to make everything "smart." Prelaunching and suspending to get faster launch times is silly if you ask me. Launching apps doesn't take much time at all as it is and I'd really like to be in control of what I have in memory and using resources.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@White said:

We do. The system sends a notification when the AUv3/IAA list was updated, that host apps can (and does) listen to. So the problem seems iOS sometimes breaks this list and makes it appear empty.

Aum engine cut out. With a message to do with backround apps or magnetic cases ( from ios 14.5 ) onwards. What is all that about. Hope it isnt because of ipad stands. Might need background audio sometimes also.

• @sigma79 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@White said:

Aum engine cut out. With a message to do with backround apps or magnetic cases ( from ios 14.5 ) onwards. What is all that about. Hope it isnt because of ipad stands.

Some ipad models have a problem with some magnetic cases, which interrupts the audio session due to some magnetic sensor in the motion co-processor. So if you have this problem, try getting rid of any magnets near the device. It's not related to AUM or any other specific app, it's an iOS/hardware/firmware issue.

Might need background audio sometimes also.

What do you mean?