Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Fixed] iOS 15 and interface…not good

I have a Black Lion Revolution that I use as my main interface, and with the update there is only a teensy bit of volume coming out of the headphones. As I fade back to just the input signal, it’s coming in loud and clear, but on system playback it is barely audible even with the headphones cranked. It used to just be plug and play. I tried my old Presonus and it works fine and outputs at its usual level. Any ideas?

And is there a way to revert?

Comments

• Damn that sucks. I’m going to think long and hard before I update.

If you have a back up, you can downgrade, I think. I’ve done it on other devices. Even an iCloud backup is fine, because it’s mainly the app data that you want. You have to redownload every app, but you have to do that with a full backup from a computer too.

• Have you tried restarting the iPad?

• @mistercharlie said:
    Have you tried restarting the iPad?

I’d suggest a hard shutdown and restart.

• I remember I had a similar problem I.e. Massively reduced volume when I did a iOS version update before which affected my behringer uci222 audio interface. It affected all my iPads but but not my iPhone! luckily the next incremental update fixed it.

I was certain it was a driver issue

The incremental update that fixed the problem had no mention of audio drivers but maybe they don’t list every fix.

Good luck I know how annoying this can be

• @oat_phipps said:
    I have a Black Lion Revolution that I use as my main interface, and with the update there is only a teensy bit of volume coming out of the headphones. As I fade back to just the input signal, it’s coming in loud and clear, but on system playback it is barely audible even with the headphones cranked. It used to just be plug and play. I tried my old Presonus and it works fine and outputs at its usual level. Any ideas?

As long as you backed up the prior version to a hard drive, yes you can revert to the prior version by resetting and erasing the contents and then start fresh from the backup.

• @oat_phipps said:

Yeah - a restore from the backup on your computer is probably the easiest way.

• Ive spent hours trying to revert and the thing just won’t do it. Got the .ipsw file, select it and…nothing happens. They couldn’t have stopped signing so soon?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Ive spent hours trying to revert and the thing just won’t do it. Got the .ipsw file, select it and…nothing happens. They couldn’t have stopped signing so soon?

Before you went to iOS15 did you do a backup of the iPad to your computer?

• Anyone tried 15 with an iConnect Audio 2+ or 4+? These devices and their software are quite old and I think not supported by the manufacturer any more.

• @krassmann iConnectAudio4+ works great with the iConnect app. Better than it works on the M1 Mac/Big Sur, which corrupts the graphics and buttons on the audio mixer page.

• edited September 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    Ive spent hours trying to revert and the thing just won’t do it. Got the .ipsw file, select it and…nothing happens. They couldn’t have stopped signing so soon?

I think you may need to put the device in"DFU" mode. There's a secret handshake that's required before the computer sees it as a blank device that it can overwrite.

Edit: By the way, did you check the volume control in Control Center? It works differently for each audio output, and it might be turned down for your interface.

• edited September 2021

@uncledave said:

@oat_phipps said:

I think you may need to put the device in"DFU" mode. There's a secret handshake that's required before the computer sees it as a blank device that it can overwrite.

Edit: By the way, did you check the volume control in Control Center? It works differently for each audio output, and it might be turned down for your interface.

Yeah even in recovery mode it won’t do anything. Just sits there after selecting the restore .ipsw

So I guess I wait. What a hassle.

• @uncledave said:

@oat_phipps said:

Volume thing was the winner. D’oh! Thanks so much. Happy to feel like an idiot in exchange for it working.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @krassmann iConnectAudio4+ works great with the iConnect app. Better than it works on the M1 Mac/Big Sur, which corrupts the graphics and buttons on the audio mixer page.

If you have graphics issues on Big Sur (Intel) or an M1 device use Low-Res mode (Right Click and choose "Get Info" for iConfig) or use Auracle X if you can bear it.

Regarding the iOS app...It has been broken for years and it will never be fixed according to iConnectivity's remarks on the matter.

Anyway, the advice in this post is incorrect.

• @Vaultnaemsae I used the iOS app a few days ago to adjust several settings on my iConnectAudio4+. No problems.

• edited September 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    Volume thing was the winner. D’oh! Thanks so much. Happy to feel like an idiot in exchange for it working.

Just FYI, it seems some audio interfaces default to max iOS volume that can’t be changed on the iPad (Focusrite Scarlett gen 2 in my experience).

And others, like you’ve noticed here, seem to allow for volume to be changed inside iOS. My Behringer UMC 404HD always defaults to low volume and I have to set it to max in iOS Control Center in order to get correct output levels.

• Yeah, I was flummoxed because when I tried the old Presonus box it output fine, then switched back and nothing. Forgot to even consider it might default to zero.

• I’ve had that happen before, but never figured out what reset it to zero. Now I’m wondering if updates had caused it…

• I assumed the differences were in how each audio interface manufacturer implements the class compliant firmware.

I would be surprised if iOS 15 includes changes that affect this but maybe so?

• Just to mention, if iOS thinks it's connected to "Headphones", it may turn down the volume to protect your hearing.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @Vaultnaemsae I used the iOS app a few days ago to adjust several settings on my iConnectAudio4+. No problems.

Yeah, you're right on app so I'd better eat my hat. That is good news. It's working on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" (iPadOS 14.8) right now (just checked) but it was broken for years. I expect it will break again but who knows? iConnectivity has always made comments to the effect that it's no longer supported though never seemed to acknowledge all the connection issues that so many users reported. Mine had about a 10%-successful connection rate before now. I just connected and disconnected the iPad 5 times and only once did it not find the interface.

Anyway, just beware that if you change certain settings while using the iOS app it will break your routing in Auracle X and you'll need to reset the device. Specifically, I had an experience where I tried to adjust the Sub Mix/Bus volume in the iOS app and then Auracle X wouldn't recognize my device the next time I tried to use it. I'm hesitant to try it again to 100% confirm 'cos it caused a huge mess last time.

Adjustments in the iOS app don't seem to cause problems with iConfig for macOS.