Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 15 is out!

Comments

• @Ailerom said:
    What's with the wasted space on the home screen. Spare real estate down left and right side could fit another row of apps.

Yeah that is a bit weird, as is the strange spacing with widgets too.

• @michael_m said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    “MAJOR BUG!” …is something I haven’t heard at all.

Is iPadOS 15 largely working as well as 14.8?

I have cook lunch for guests tomorrow, so it’s the perfect time to run the upgrade.

I only found one, and that is probably due to the app not having any major updates in some time. Other than that everything has run really smoothly.

Which app?

• edited September 2021

@Lorichs said:
    Thanks @samu. Yeah I welcome improved splitscreen too.

Improvements are good. But split screen will always be 50% broken and useless if it continues to only be useful in landscape. Seriously, I can’t believe there is a team at Apple that designed, approved, and implemented this:

Those are the three dot options when you have the iPad in portrait. I can’t imagine any app I would want to use in a tall skinny format, and I have never understood why Apple thinks this is in any way useful. Portrait mode split screen could be so useful if the apps where split top to bottom instead of side-by-side.

[edit: but of course the glass is half full, landscape split screen is useful and implemented well]

• @Hmtx said:

@Lorichs said:
    Thanks @samu. Yeah I welcome improved splitscreen too.

Improvements are good. But split screen will always be 50% broken and useless if it continues to only be useful in landscape.

It works quite well in portrait mode too :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

Ok, you are right. We’ll call it 25% broken. 😉 Yes, works fine for a quick slide over access to files but very limited for actually using two apps at a time.

• @Hmtx said:

@Samu said:

Ok, you are right. We’ll call it 25% broken. 😉 Yes, works fine for a quick slide over access to files but very limited for actually using two apps at a time.

Everything is going to be limited towards using multiple applications at a time as long as users and developers don't have full control of the windows that an app has. But, I don't think that is ever going to come on iPadOS mainly because the effective UI space is actually pretty small on an iPad (and even smaller on an iPhone).

If you're old enough you might relate to this, but working in iPadOS now has a similar feel to the Macintosh era of Switcher and Multifinder. It's really a limited hack that allows for more productivity but is also really restrictive.

• edited September 2021

Nah, it’s just poor implementation on Apple’s end. They have DELIBERATELY designed portrait splitscreen to be long skinny apps that are side by side. I’m sure they have reasons, but for usability split screen should absolutely have been implemented top-to-bottom when in portrait. Almost every split screen scenario would be better that way, and actually easier to design for most apps.

• @Hmtx said:
    Nah, it’s just poor implementation on Apple’s end. They have DELIBERATELY designed portrait splitscreen to be long skinny apps that are side by side. I’m sure they have reasons, but for usability split screen should absolutely have been implemented top-to-bottom when in portrait. Almost every split screen scenario would be better that way, and actually easier to design for most apps.

On screen keyboard and how it overlays the windows in portrait. Pretty much every design choice is going to suck.

• Totally disagree on-screen keyboard would cause any major issues.

Anyway, glad some others here seem to be able to enjoy and appreciate portrait splitscreen in its current state, off I go to worry about things I can do something about. 😬

• edited September 2021

@Ailerom said:
    What's with the wasted space on the home screen. Spare real estate down left and right side could fit another row of apps.

I think it's a design/layout compromise to fit home screen widgets, which can have up to 4 different configuration sizes. Some of the home screen widgets are quite useful. Most of them I keep on the leftmost screen which just hides away now.

• @Hmtx said:
    Totally disagree on-screen keyboard would cause any major issues.

Anyway, glad some others here seem to be able to enjoy and appreciate portrait splitscreen in its current state, off I go to worry about things I can do something about. 😬

Oh, I don't enjoy it in portrait the way it is. I just don't think it will be easy to solve in a split screen sort of way.

• @NeuM said:

@Ailerom said:

I think it's a design/layout compromise to fit home screen widgets, which can have up to 4 different configuration sizes.

@Hmtx said:

@Samu said:

This might be something you would like to try: Use your iPad with a keyboard cover or a Bluetooth keyboard. Many macOS key commands work with iPadOS.

I had been using my iPad as my only computer for more than a year and found it very useful to start treating it like a new type of computer, not just a novelty, and for 95% of my computing needs it was perfect.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Slightly ot but what are the (best) possibilities to combine a newer ipad and an M1 macbook under ios 15&big sur?Using the ipad as 2nd screen i guess but anything else that i missed?

• @espiegel123 said:

@michael_m said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

I have cook lunch for guests tomorrow, so it’s the perfect time to run the upgrade.

I only found one, and that is probably due to the app not having any major updates in some time. Other than that everything has run really smoothly.

Which app?

Impaktor. It runs fine, but whenever I try to export a loop it immediately crashes.

• @michael_m said:

@espiegel123 said:

@michael_m said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Which app?

Impaktor. It runs fine, but whenever I try to export a loop it immediately crashes.

@giku_beepstreet ?

• @Samu said:

@TonalityApp said:

Not in this case! I only ran the iOS 15 beta on my phone. This happened right after I updated my iPad from the public release of iOS 14 to the public release of iOS 15 and hasn't gone away yet. I will report it though.

Goodie, I only have one bug on my iPhone 8 with iOS15 and it's a quite popular one...
    ...can't get rid of the notification that complains my device is almost out of storage even though there's plenty free storage left.
    (It was even more amusing to see the 'bug' on a friends iPhone 12 Pro Max with 512GB storage and >450GB free...).

Oh well, I guess a 15.0.1 will drop quite soon as the storage bug thing just just bad PR.

15.0.1 out today (Oct 01) with "bug fixes", including this false alert on storage. What a strange thing to leave in a release!

• @uncledave said:

15.0.1 out today (Oct 01) with "bug fixes", including this false alert on storage. What a strange thing to leave in a release!

Yepp, it's out and fixes the storage bug and I got back ~3GB of storage on my iPhone 8 as well :)
    Next major update is most likely iOS/iPadOS15.1...

• So it looks like there are no major issues, no broken apps etc? That would be the first time since I got on the iOS music train in 2013 that I even consider updating this early the cycle.

• @richardyot said:
    So it looks like there are no major issues, no broken apps etc? That would be the first time since I got on the iOS music train in 2013 that I even consider updating this early the cycle.

There was one issue with Gadget and the new Halloween IAP but it's already been fixed.
    Most things work and I've not noticed any oddities. (I'm on an old iPad Air 2, iPadOS15.0, soon 15.0.1).

• @Samu said:

@richardyot said:
    So it looks like there are no major issues, no broken apps etc? That would be the first time since I got on the iOS music train in 2013 that I even consider updating this early the cycle.

There was one issue with Gadget and the new Halloween IAP but it's already been fixed.
    Most things work and I've not noticed any oddities. (I'm on an old iPad Air 2, iPadOS15.0, soon 15.0.1).

I might take the plunge then 👍

• edited October 2021

I‘m absolutely surprised how well it seems to run (15.0).I did not test every single app yet but since i got a new ipad (pro 11 2018) now i‘m playing arround a lot with it and found maybe 2 small issues so far.One is in the appstore,when having a closer look at an app and i want to go back.Tapping the back button and often it takes quite long til something happens.The other one is in the settings menu.Sometimes it takes a long time until i can have a look at the memory state.

And that‘s it for me. No hickups,It‘s fast/fluid and also the battery usage seems normal.Cubasis/Auria loaded with audio units seem to run ok.Some very old apps i have do still run nicely etc etc.

That said,it was a fresh installation on a new ipad.Sometimes this can make a difference.

• Hmmm, I would like that progress indicator…

• @AudioGus said:
    Hmmm, I would like that progress indicator…

Whatsthat?

• @Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

Whatsthat?

Oh crap, did I dream that?

• @AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

Whatsthat?

u mean this? https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/14/files-app-on-ipados-15-now-has-a-progress-bar-partial-ntfs-support-more/

nope,they left it out (for now?)

• @Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

Whatsthat?

u mean this? https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/14/files-app-on-ipados-15-now-has-a-progress-bar-partial-ntfs-support-more/

Left it out? Didn’t someone post video of a guy creaming his pants for two hours about it?

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Kinda curious… why?
    I’ve not seen anything compelling that would move me off of waiting a couple of months just to be sure the dust has settled.

(It’s an honest question- not trying to influence anything. I just get curious about these things. )

• @AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:

@AudioGus said:

Whatsthat?

Left it out? Didn’t someone post video of a guy creaming his pants for two hours about it?

dunno,i tried to copy a folder from ipad to cloud and all i got was this small ball with a“progress circle“in it.Sorry don‘t know how to describe it better in english 😂 Maybe i should try it wth really BIG folders instead…?

• @wim said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Kinda curious… why?
    I’ve not seen anything compelling that would move me off of waiting a couple of months just to be sure the dust has settled.

(It’s an honest question- not trying to influence anything. I just get curious about these things. )

Normally by now issues will have been found, so I’m not seeing any reason not to upgrade.

FWIW I often wait until March or April, usually because some key app in my workflow needs updating. That doesn’t seem to be the case this time around though.