Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPads..Mini 6 /iPad 9.. Who’s in?

Comments

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Is the M1 chips on the iPad Pro fastest than the A15 chips on the iPad Mini 6 for music production?

I haven't seen any good analysis of the cores yet, but the change between the A14 and the A15 cores doesn't look to be very big for most types of tasks. For things that are single thread constrained in the DSP, the A15 and M1 should be pretty close to each other. For those things that actually do use multiple DSP threads, the M1 will have a big advantage.

Things that are unknown at this point are differences in memory access, possible changes in the vector unit, and maybe some stuff with the caches. That can all have a pretty big impact on audio DSP. I don't expect there to be any huge changes here. It kinda looks like they may have beefed up the image processing unit based on some features that are limited to the new iPhones for video work.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Mini 6/64GB/wifi here. Will be much pared down appwise compared to my 256GB Air 4 - no Syntronik or Pure Synth on here! Going to use it for the couch/bed and when I am out of the house on a more regular basis.

Interested to see how StaffPad looks/works on the smaller screen although that alone is over 16GB, eek.

Pleased that they didn’t bring out another Pencil especially for the Mini.

Mini has arrived, now installing StaffPad instruments and deciding which other apps to install. I am going to experiment using GB as the main DAW on here as that makes it straightforward to share content with the other iPad and the Mac. FX will start with MixBox and go from there, if needed. Going to restrict synths to GB Alchemy and those that can be used inside Logic on an M1, which is not many at the moment.

I was expecting the screen to feel more cramped (not had anything smaller than a standard iPad up to now) but so far no problems.

• edited September 2021

I'm interested in the jumps in performance compared to older, more expensive models. For example, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 inch from 2017. How would the new basic iPad compare to it in terms of available grunt for AUv3s in AUM, do you think? Or editing video in something like Lumafusion? (It looks like it only has 3GB of RAM compared to the 4GB on the old Pro, mind!)

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I'm interested in the jumps in performance compared to older, more expensive models. For example, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 inch from 2017. How would the new basic iPad compare to it in terms of available grunt for AUv3s in AUM, do you think? Or editing video in something like Lumafusion? (It looks like it only has 3GB of RAM compared to the 4GB on the old Pro, mind!)

The benchmarks will appear from today but many of the more reliable sources will happen at some point over the weekend. The A15 multicore scores will be the biggest boost, but considering your reference hardware is a 2017 Pro, you can expect big performance bumps throughout. The Mini 6 is pretty much on par with the most recent Air in most areas other than dimensions. And the Mini 6 is a better buy than the larger format basic iPad for my money. It has 4Gb RAM, the same as your 2017 Pro. That extra Gb does make a difference. I'm not suggesting that there aren't legions out there happily rocking 3Gb hardware, but larger audio projects will definitely benefit from the extra headroom.

• My mini just arrived as well.
    Busy installing apps and setting up as new.

If anyone wants to send project files or whatever, I can test for you.

Also if any devs need testing done on an a15 iPad mini, send me a pm and see what I can do. :)

• Of course they dropped off the iPad but the adapters are still “out for delivery”
    UPS comes to my house like 4 times a day…..silly.

• And this no button this is gonna be weird to get used to. 1st device I e had with no button.

• @AlmostAnonymous You might be interested in AssistiveTouch -- Settings > Accessibility > Touch

I've been using it forever on devices with a Home button.

• Yeah. Not that thing. Im aware of that

• edited September 2021

@AlmostAnonymous What iPad can you compare it to?

Curious about the usual multiple instances of Moog Model Ds driven by Rozeta Bassline test. At 512 sample buffer.

Thanks.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    And this no button this is gonna be weird to get used to. 1st device I e had with no button.

I bought an Air 4 a month or so back (local sale in anticipation of new iPads :)), and this was one of my major concerns that almost held me off from upgrading. I’m happy to say that I got used to the ‘no button’ way of navigating very quickly.

• @Vip8888 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    And this no button this is gonna be weird to get used to. 1st device I e had with no button.

I bought an Air 4 a month or so back (local sale in anticipation of new iPads :)), and this was one of my major concerns that almost held me off from upgrading. I’m happy to say that I got used to the ‘no button’ way of navigating very quickly.

I'm so used to the no home button navigation methods that I don't use the home button on older iOS devices for anything other than their fingerprint scan. It soon becomes second nature.

• 10 minutes in on the iPad 9 and look what I'm doing.

• i'll miss the button, particularly in live scenarios, but i'll get on. Probably go back to mapping my 2 key keyboard to switch apps/IAAs. Just happy i don't have to plan and tool my hardware around a lightning port anymore.

• @jonmoore said:

@Crabman said:
    So,whats the best way to deal with the "no headphone jack" bs these days?I like the new mini but maybe ill just fix the display of my 10,5 pro (2017) instead.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MU7E2ZM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

You won't be able to run at higher sample rates, but this is still the cheapest and smallest solution in town. And it's not very often you can say that of an Apple product.

You can of course go Bluetooth but the audio quality won't be as good.

Thanks,is there something that has jack AND usb c connector as well?

• edited September 2021

@Crabman said:

@jonmoore said:

@Crabman said:
    So,whats the best way to deal with the "no headphone jack" bs these days?I like the new mini but maybe ill just fix the display of my 10,5 pro (2017) instead.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MU7E2ZM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

You won't be able to run at higher sample rates, but this is still the cheapest and smallest solution in town. And it's not very often you can say that of an Apple product.

I got this on the back of a recommendation from @krassmann and it works well for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0828C7M83

Edit: it has gone up to £30, I bought it in May at £20 so there may be shortages.

• This is what I use with my M1 iPad Pro. Plenty of connectivity, headphone jack and passthrough charging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docking-Station-Adapter-Multiport-MacBook-Gray-10-1/dp/B08MT3PKBB/

I connect a proper audio interface (for higher sample rates and extended connectivity) but the headphone jack is dead handy for those rare occasions when I take the M1 out and about (I usually use a mini when mobile).

• thanks again guys. 👍

• edited September 2021

@Crabman said:

@jonmoore said:

@Crabman said:

Yes. I use one of these.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

However, if you also need to plug in headphones, you might want to buy something like an Anker hub. Once you start connecting more than one device, plus you need power and a headphone jack, you'll need a hub.

https://us.anker.com/collections/hubs-docks/operating-system-ipados?sort_by=manual

• Got my iPad 9 on Friday and very happy with it. Its to replace my old Air 1 as that was starting to get a big sluggish. Its only used to run soft synths controlled from my MODX, mainly VB3m and iM1, via Audiobus 3.
    I do have a 2020 ipad pro 12.9 but prefer to use smaller ipads for live playing.

• edited September 2021

Just trying out my iPad 9. Running 5 Model Ds, 1 Ravenscroft, 4 TB Reverb and 1 Dual VCF, 1 Collider at 128 buffer at ~75% CPU in AUM. My old iPad air could only just manage 2 Model Ds on a good day. Pretty impressive CPU upgrade. Missing the laminated screen though.

• @Spud said:
    Just trying out my iPad 9. Running 5 Model Ds, 1 Ravenscroft, 4 TB Reverb and 1 Dual VCF, 1 Collider at 128 buffer at ~75% CPU in AUM. My old iPad air could only just manage 2 Model Ds on a good day. Pretty impressive CPU upgrade. Missing the laminated screen though.

Oh NO!!! I’m vaccinating between getting the 9 or the mini 6 and I had a 12.9 pro.. I’m afraid of the non laminated display.. A little surprised your A13 CoU is at 75%.

• edited September 2021

@Telstar5 said:

Oh NO!!! I’m vaccinating between getting the 9 or the mini 6 and I had a 12.9 pro.. I’m afraid of the non laminated display.. A little surprised your A13 CoU is at 75%.

You notice the feel of the display but it's not terrible, just feels a little hollow. For me a mini would be too small, but I guess it would be great for mobile use. Mine never leaves the house. Do you think 75% is good or not as good as you expected?

• No , I expected a little better.. I’m thinking of getting the mini plus a 25.6’ portable display.

• @Telstar5 said:
    No , I expected a little better.. I’m thinking of getting the mini plus a 25.6’ portable display.

Ah ok. I guess the A14 or A15 would be a decent improvement, but this is fine for me and I wanted the headphone jack anyway. The base model price was also as much as I could really afford. My use won't stretch the CPU very often, if at all.

• Well that’s something else right there. $329!is unbelievable for what you get there. Congratulations!

• I ordered an iPad Pro 12,9” 256gb (M1/2021). The price was around $€650, which is about 50% off the regular price. Sounds too good to be true, but it is a legit store and all, and I can always just return it if they send me a bag of rocks.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Well that’s something else right there. $329!is unbelievable for what you get there. Congratulations!

Thanks yes I think it's decent value given the performance. Looking forward to some AUM jams without the DSP overload of the old Air 2.

• So I just got this 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” 256gb for around €$650. That’s less then half the usual price in EU. It’s from a French store-chain called Cdiscount. In Sweden they sell via a Nordic store called cdon. They’ve had loopy pricings for a while now. If you’re in Sweden, keep a lookout at prisjakt.nu. Thanks France 🤷‍♂️😂

• The user and all related content has been deleted.