Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Refund lets you keep the app??!!

Just done my first ever refund for Tube AU. Was really annoyed that, just like his other app WebSDR, I couldn't use it properly in Cubasis.
Really surprised that i still own the app and it works 'fine'. Isn't this open to abuse?

Side question: does anyone know of a way I can use WebSDR or TubeAU inside CB3. I just want to be able to record some audio and for the audio not to stop as soon as I go to another chanel. Koala?
If it turns out I was too hasty with my refund I'll buy another of the dev's app to restore the balance of good Vs evil!

Comments

• I got a refund for a very expensive app and it worked but it wouldn’t update. I think, all things being equal, it’s only fair to delete it but then that’s just one person’s opinion. :)

• You know, the world is full of people who will conscience free order a new outfit to wear out on Friday night, only to return it on Monday for a full refund. Those that decide that buying and then getting a refund on app purchases are of a similar ilk. But be sure, Apple will have analytics in place to police repeat offenders, and much as those individuals think their behaviour won't play on their conscience, those bad karma points will come home to roost too.

• @jonmoore said:
    You know, the world is full of people who will conscience free order a new outfit to wear out on Friday night, only to return it on Monday for a full refund. Those that decide that buying and then getting a refund on app purchases are of a similar ilk. But be sure, Apple will have analytics in place to police repeat offenders, and much as those individuals think their behaviour won't play on their conscience, those bad karma points will come home to roost too.

Do you spend a lot of time thinking about this? I get the feeling that there's a piece of grit in your shell that could do with being a pearl.

• @ashh said:

@jonmoore said:
    You know, the world is full of people who will conscience free order a new outfit to wear out on Friday night, only to return it on Monday for a full refund. Those that decide that buying and then getting a refund on app purchases are of a similar ilk. But be sure, Apple will have analytics in place to police repeat offenders, and much as those individuals think their behaviour won't play on their conscience, those bad karma points will come home to roost too.

Do you spend a lot of time thinking about this? I get the feeling that there's a piece of grit in your shell that could do with being a pearl.

Yikes! try not to over think things @jonmoore :)

For the record this my 1st refund out of a really stupid quantity of apps bought over the space of 3 years - I really am doing my bit for iOS music devs: I'm more of an app collector than a user!

As stated, I won't be using Tube AU because (I think) it's absolutely useless to me. If it turns out I can use it within CB3 I'll just buy one of his other apps that I wouldn't have otherwise bought. Peace ☮️

• Last year I refunded some apps and they were available for a time and then they weren't. I believe it follows a similar timeline as their withdrawal process. For me, the money is not withdrawn from my account immediately. At times it has taken a week or a little longer before apple has taken the money. I think to reduce how many transactions come out at once. So eventually the icon will change and you'll lose access.

• Don’t read too much into what I wrote, it wasn’t targeted at @FPC or anyone in particular for that matter. It was more a comment on the human condition. In life you have the givers and you have the takers. A prime example of this was all the people that saw the COVID crisis as an oppurtunity to scam. Just think of the billions wasted worldwide on fake PPE or PPE that was never delivered.

I’d say most regulars on this forum would instantly delete any app where they’ve recieved a refund.

• Apple won’t delete it from your device. But you won’t be able to download it again or update it. So if you switch to a new iPad for example it will be gone.

• @FloRi89 said:
    Apple won’t delete it from your device. But you won’t be able to download it again or update it. So if you switch to a new iPad for example it will be gone.

Ahhh right. This makes sense now :)

I'll start another thread about Tube AU and WebSDR's apparent uselessness within Cubasis...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2021

@FPC said:
    Just done my first ever refund for Tube AU. Was really annoyed that, just like his other app WebSDR, I couldn't use it properly in Cubasis.
    Really surprised that i still own the app and it works 'fine'. Isn't this open to abuse?

Side question: does anyone know of a way I can use WebSDR or TubeAU inside CB3. I just want to be able to record some audio and for the audio not to stop as soon as I go to another chanel. Koala?
    If it turns out I was too hasty with my refund I'll buy another of the dev's app to restore the balance of good Vs evil!

Yah this is the fault of Cubasis and not Tube AU. Tube AU records great for me in apps that can record AU audio, such as BM3 (uhh, and I think AUM does too). Cubasis simply does not record AU audio (to the best of my knowledge). Yes, I would have called this hasty, ;). Now if you ever get a new iPad or delete Tube AU you may forever miss out on it’s awesomeness, unless you live in a region that lets you repurchase refunded apps.

• @BCKeys said:

@FloRi89 said:
    Apple won’t delete it from your device. But you won’t be able to download it again or update it. So if you switch to a new iPad for example it will be gone.

I don’t know if it’s true or false, but I’ve read that some people can’t re-buy an app after they asked for a refund on the same product to avoid abuse.

I got a refund on Cubasis 3 due it being unstable when it was first released. I jumped back in once things improved and had no issues. I seem to recall reading the same thing somewhere though, maybe an urban myth to put people off refunding. Similar thing to the rumour about devs losing money on refunds.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@BCKeys said:

@FloRi89 said:

I don’t know if it’s true or false, but I’ve read that some people can’t re-buy an app after they asked for a refund on the same product to avoid abuse.

I got a refund on Cubasis 3 due it being unstable when it was first released. I jumped back in once things improved and had no issues. I seem to recall reading the same thing somewhere though, maybe an urban myth to put people off refunding. Similar thing to the rumour about devs losing money on refunds.

The inability to repurchase was very real at one time. Could be a region based thing as consumer protection laws blah blah blah.

• Someone's kindly come up with a potential solution involving Segments or Koala. If this works I'd buy Tube AU again... If it lets me!

• Poor besmirched Tube AU…. :(

• FPCFPC
    edited September 2021

@AudioGus said:
    Poor besmirched Tube AU…. :(

It'll get over it ;)

• tbf the Dev really should make it clear that an AU app won't work (in any meaningful way) out-of-the-box with the most popular (?) DAW on iOS
  • /Rant :)
    What pissed me off couple of days ago is how clueless Apple geniuses are... and they decide who gets refund and who doesn’t.
    Bought the recently released DDMF reverb and chorus... they are ok, but nowhere near the UAD versions I’m familiar with. After about 5 minutes I noticed that none of the parameters are revealed to the host for automation. Figured it’s kind of common for new releases and usually sorted in the following updates... so all good...
    Next day I pulled another, older one of his plugins and noticed the same so checked all of his releases that I own. None of them can be automated from the host... so delete and headed for refund. Explained the reason briefly, and after a rejection explained in details and got rejected again.
    All I can do is contact the dev (probably to get a polite fo) or leave a not very nice review... still undecided :D

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    /Rant :)
    What pissed me off couple of days ago is how clueless Apple geniuses are... and they decide who gets refund and who doesn’t.
    Bought the recently released DDMF reverb and chorus... they are ok, but nowhere near the UAD versions I’m familiar with. After about 5 minutes I noticed that none of the parameters are revealed to the host for automation. Figured it’s kind of common for new releases and usually sorted in the following updates... so all good...
    Next day I pulled another, older one of his plugins and noticed the same so checked all of his releases that I own. None of them can be automated from the host... so delete and headed for refund. Explained the reason briefly, and after a rejection explained in details and got rejected again.
    All I can do is contact the dev (probably to get a polite fo) or leave a not very nice review... still undecided :D

In case you are in the EU, you can choose the option that you want to refund on basis of your right to refund within 14 days, they won‘t (can‘t) deny that request.

• @Zaubrer said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

In case you are in the EU, you can choose the option that you want to refund on basis of your right to refund within 14 days, they won‘t (can‘t) deny that request.

I am... now. Though the purchase was made from UK store, before travelling back.
    And there is no option to request anything at this point...

• @FPC said:

Most people are honorable and not crooks. It’s the small subset of crooks who ultimately make everything worse for the rest of us.

@Zaubrer said:

I am... now. Though the purchase was made from UK store, before travelling back.
    And there is no option to request anything at this point...

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had removed the brilliant EU consumer protection from the UK Apple store the minute they left the EU. This is just a not-so-educated guess but it would explain your situation.

I rarely ask for a refund, and I always use the EU clause (and remove the app). Never got a rejection. However, Apple always sends me those stupid "you promise you won't ask refunds" messages for the next couple of my purchases, even though they are quite probably unenforceable in the EU.

• @ervin said:
    However, Apple always sends me those stupid "you promise you won't ask refunds" messages for the next couple of my purchases, even though they are quite probably unenforceable in the EU.

Probably because they are IAPs. For those there are different laws so you don’t necessarily have the same rights, eg right to refund within 14 days.

That is probably because IAPs started for games where they were „consumables“ (in game currency) and thus were excluded.

• edited September 2021

I don’t know... tbh, I would be surprised if anything changed in that regard in UK. I guess I was the d!ck for trying to explain the real reason, instead of going for the ‘safe route’ :)
    Rarely requesting refunds, and never had issues... I guess I got rusty...
    Learned the lesson... this is how you parent your customers :)

Edit: Apple probably just gave up on me seeing how my shopping behaviour changed compared to 5 years ago :)
    Bad customer tax :D

• If you request so many refunds that it starts to look suspicious they might ban your account from the App Store. It would have to be pretty crazy and suspicious looking activity I’d imagine. They’d be more likely to permanently deny refunds than disable the account.

I’ve never had a refund denied. I’m also in the US where consumer protection is very little to often none.

• edited September 2021

You may be onto something, though I guess it’s relative... :D
    Just checked my activity for this year...
    Bought 8 apps and 3 IAPs, got refund for 2 out of 8 and got denied for 2. So with these last 2 if accepted I would be at 50/50 😂

+there were few purchases for the giveaway thingy...

• @Zaubrer said:

@ervin said:
    However, Apple always sends me those stupid "you promise you won't ask refunds" messages for the next couple of my purchases, even though they are quite probably unenforceable in the EU.

Probably because they are IAPs. For those there are different laws so you don’t necessarily have the same rights, eg right to refund within 14 days.

That is probably because IAPs started for games where they were „consumables“ (in game currency) and thus were excluded.

I have never requested a refund for an iap, so that's probably not it. I think it's just automated scare tactics on their part.

Imho, it is most devs not providing any way to try apps before buying them that causes most refund requests. Which is quite a ridiculous state of things, as it's not something that's impossible to offer, there are various ways of doing it, demonstrated by a number of apps in the store.

Mate, put it down to experience. Leaving a bad review is a huge knock for any dev’s app. If it bothered me then I’d email the dev and speak to them about it. If they don’t reply, well, that’s on them. I lost my 100% positive feedback on eBay because I cba to reply to someone about why I had withdrawn a sale. Fair play to them.

• edited September 2021

I can imagine refund system is chiefly automatic…and slowly fine tuned to limit the damage. I’ve sent several items back to Amazon through prime. I never feel great about it but this is ultimately the face of our consumeristic behaviour so favoured by eternal growth capitalist system model. Click from the comfort of your sofa and get your item the same day with a right to free return. Unfortunately that’s massively detrimental to our environment…and yet many of us do it because it’s so easy and risk free... and can be done privately so no one can see us doing it! So we can keep walking the earth in our ‘save the planet’ t-shirts.

Of course none of it applies to software apart from perhaps guild one feels about returning something that doesn’t work…or was it perhaps because we’ve realised it is too complicated to operate or we didn’t need it after all? So what comes first, our need to get back our $$$ or developer’s well-being so they keep feeding us new toys? It’s a massive moral dilemma some of us with steady income will never have to face and will just archive as ‘damages’.

I’ve asked a few returns from the AppStore and even ended up on the phone with an Apple rappresentative which, in a usual Apple smooth fashion favoured me, the customer. It was for Jamm app by Ninja Tune. It was glitchy and didn’t seem polished enough sound wise. It stayed on my iPad after the refund but I never used it anyway because….it was glitchy! So in my case it was a genuine request that prevented me from abusing the system and keeping it in my arsenal of killer apps I use daily.

Still, I can imagine many do, do abuse it, after all online piracy is a real thing and have brought many entire well established businesses down. I may have taken my part in it, maybe not ;)

Thank god for low iOS prices!

• edited September 2021

@ashh said:

Mate, put it down to experience. Leaving a bad review is a huge knock for any dev’s app. If it bothered me then I’d email the dev and speak to them about it. If they don’t reply, well, that’s on them. I lost my 100% positive feedback on eBay because I cba to reply to someone about why I had withdrawn a sale. Fair play to them.

Yep, probably that’s what I’m going to do... I’m just too lazy to be bothered.
    On the other hand, what makes you think that this approach will help anyone on the long term?
    I regard DDMF highly on desktop, but on iOS I consider it a lazy port. I know they are popular and we shall praise everyone bringing things over from desktop without questioning. Remember when it was frowned upon to call out AudioKit for their less than perfect offerings? Today it’s a commonly held view, tomorrow AK will have to up their game if they want to sell... I call that progress for the benefits of all.
    Also, who’s at fault here? Me, for being picky? Dev for being lazy, while also being able to point finger at Apple (having no control over refund process)? Or Apple for being clueless (in this case)?
    Though it seems keeping refunded apps on devices is common practice and everybody is able to find justification for their actions... so Apple trying to make a point makes perfect sense too... 🤷‍♂️

@ashh said:

Yep, probably that’s what I’m going to do... I’m just too lazy to be bothered.
    On the other hand, what makes you think that this approach will help anyone on the long term?
    I regard DDMF highly on desktop, but on iOS I consider it a lazy port. I know they are popular and we shall praise everyone bringing things over from desktop without questioning. Remember when it was frowned upon to call out AudioKit for their less than perfect offerings? Today it’s a commonly held view, tomorrow AK will have to up their game if they want to sell... I call that progress for the benefits of all.
    Also, who’s at fault here? Me, for being picky? Dev for being lazy, while also being able to point finger at Apple (having no control over refund process)? Or Apple for being clueless (in this case)?
    Though it seems keeping refunded apps on devices is common practice and everybody is able to find justification for their actions... so Apple trying to make a point makes perfect sense too... 🤷‍♂️

I agree that the review system is not a good way forward. On Amazon, for example, people review stuff when it comes. They haven't really used it or they review the delivery or the company behind the product if they're annoyed with either.

I guess it's down to what you can stomach. Like, would leaving a bad review be like farting in a crowded room? Only you know you've done it but you still don't feel good about it.