Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone here use Touché by ExpressiveE?

The SE version is $229 and seems to be an excellent mpe type controller. Anyone using either version?

Comments

• @SimonSomeone, lol. I commented on it. I didn’t even know what it was then.

• My reluctance to get the Touché is partially cause I don’t work on a table/desk surface. I’d have to find a way to place it directly on my keyboard. I wonder if @hypnopad is still using it?

• Hey Mike. I am still using mine and consider it crucial to my music making. It’s one of my best hardware purchases. You not only get expressive playing with the Lié / Noisy/Imagine apps and sounds from ExpressiveE but it’s also a great midi controller in general. Highly recommended if you want to get the most out of your sounds. Too bad you might have to mess up your keyboard with Velcro.

• Thanks @hypnopad. I’m getting reinvigorated about it. I’m thinking maybe a small, thick, towel might be a cushion for it on the keyboard.

• @LinearLineman I would recommend the thin rubbery material that comes in rolls that people use in the bottoms of kitchen cabinets. You will pushing and pulling on that thing a lot and a towel might move around too much.

• edited September 2021

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @hypnopad. I’m getting reinvigorated about it. I’m thinking maybe a small, thick, towel might be a cushion for it on the keyboard.

Or a silicone baking mat

• Thanks for the advice @hypnopad @mojozart. That sounds better.

• @LinearLineman Just thought I’d ask if you’ve done any research on how you would run this into Cubasis. I’ve used it with AUM with good results. Doug from the sound testroom has done a nice video on running it into an iPad and AUM. Hopefully Cubasis has a straight forward way to midi map and set amounts of modulation for external controllers.

• @hypnopad, foolishly I assumed there would be no problem with Cubasis and midi learn. I’ll have to write @LFS unless he replies about it here.

• I don’t get the appeal. The iPad glass is very expressive. Set up an X-Y pad or two in Rozeta.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr For me it’s about the physical feedback I get without even looking at it due to the z axis and spring return to 0. Also all the sensitive scraping and tapping goodness.
    Here’s a good video showing that aspect.

• @hypnopad said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr For me it’s about the physical feedback I get without even looking at it due to the z axis and spring return to 0. Also all the sensitive scraping and tapping goodness.
    Here’s a good video showing that aspect.

More tactile I understand. As much as I love Drumjam, there is no comparison between a drum pad controller and a real drum.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

More tactile I understand. As much as I love Drumjam, there is no comparison between a drum pad controller and a real drum.

I totally agree if you’re talking about midi drum controllers triggering drum samples. I’ve been using Korg Wavedrums since the 90’s and have to say they are among the most organic and expressive electronic drum synths ever made due to their use of physical modeling tech. Maybe not 100% on par with a real drum but the creative aspects of the physical modeling synthesis make up for that and more.

• @hypnopad said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

I totally agree if you’re talking about midi drum controllers triggering drum samples. I’ve been using Korg Wavedrums since the 90’s and have to say they are among the most organic and expressive electronic drum synths ever made due to their use of physical modeling tech. Maybe not 100% on par with a real drum but the creative aspects of the physical modeling synthesis make up for that and more.

Thanks man. I came into this thread with no GAS at all for the Touche, and now you've given me GAS for a Wavedrum.

• @hypnopad said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

Oh yes, they definitely are. But they go far beyond conventional drum pad controllers except if you pair one with Drambo 😉

• @rs2000 Piezo drum pad +Drambo/Impaktor = cheap Wavedrum alternative.

• @hypnopad said:
    @rs2000 Piezo drum pad +Drambo/Impaktor = cheap Wavedrum alternative.

I see we're speaking the same language 😊🥂

• @LinearLineman To get this thread back on track, I found a good video on the subject of midi learn in Cubasis 3.

Didn’t see where you can set ranges ( which is important). Let me know what you think.

• @hypnopad ... what exactly are”ranges”? Midi 0-127? Can these be set with a desktop and transferred to the Touché settings?

I found this video as well. Does “Apply to ports” do the trick? Will I need an additional controller to set these? It’s pretty confusing!

• edited September 2021

@LinearLineman Seems like you only get full range learning-0-127. Sometimes in an instrument or effect there is a sweet spot in a parameter you want - say 30-50. You can tell it when you turn a knob or press on the touché you will only get that range and avoid the stuff above and below it. You could also set it up to go from high to low- 80- 20 for example.
    You can set this up in the Lié app on the desktop but I’m not sure you can transfer that to the touché itself- I’ll look into that. This is all there in AUM. I have no idea what apply to ports means. You would just need the touché and a powered hub for the midi mapping to work. And remember with the touché everything snaps back to 0 or what ever the low range is set at.

• edited September 2021

You may be able to utilise a third party app like Lemur or Midi Designer (can run on the side) to scale desired ranges on the fly.
    Ultimately it’s not too many controls and should be fairly straightforward to use

• Thanks very much @hypnopad and @0tolerance4silence. My technometer is starting to reach the red zone, but I’ll persevere. Cause it looks like a lot of fun to use.

• You’d want to be able to limit the full range (0-127) to a useful range that may depend on the type of instrument or level of desired expressiveness. The fine tuning aspect itself does not require technical background, more like a user preference. Effectively, Touché would provide the full range, Midi Designer Pro could be launched on the side (it does remember enabled input ports and can launch into a ready to use interface) with few f.e sliders to setup desired range while playing/testing. Once done you just flick it out of the screen (it’s running in the background, and passing a ‘filtered range’ through its virtual ports). The only difference you would see in C3 is that instead of Touché port selected as midi source, you would select Midi Designer’s virtual port.
    I’ll have to check Touché documentation and MD which I haven’t used for ages, but I’m fairly positive it’s doable.

• edited September 2021

@hypnopad @0tolerance4silence, Doug has the answer... and it’s good! (at least for the SWAMs.

• Nice @LinearLineman . For you I think finding apps that have presets for the Touché is the easier way to go. Otherwise it’s a lot of hunting and pecking /trial and error to figure out the parameters you manually want to assign. Looks like you’ll have a blast with the swam stuff.

• edited September 2021

@rs2000 said:

@hypnopad said:
    @rs2000 Piezo drum pad +Drambo/Impaktor = cheap Wavedrum alternative.

I see we're speaking the same language 😊🥂

I googled and now I’m in love. Can you put it into aum as auv3? If so i have to search for a good piezo drum pad

• @LinearLineman said:
    @hypnopad @0tolerance4silence, Doug has the answer... and it’s good! (at least for the SWAMs.

Sounds great. Seems so weird to be doing vibrato with the hand that's note playing the note. Vibrato and pitch bend feels so much more natural played on the screen.