Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TouchOSC rotary needs circular gesture?

edited September 2021 in General App Discussion

I am building a layout with TouchOSC (newer version) and stumbled upon a quite weird thing for such flexible environment: Seems like there is no option to make a rotary or encoder to behave like in 95% of all touch apps: if you drag it up/down, it will change the value. In TouchOSC, you obviously need to do this weird "circular" gesture, i.e. "draw a circle" in the same direction as you want the encoder to rotate. It's a bit cumbersome, never understood this way of implementing encoders but I am surprised I wasn't able to find a way how to adjust this. In e.g. Korg Gadget there is at least an option to select the gesture between circular and linear.
Am I missing something or should I approach the developer?

Comments

• edited September 2021

@skrat I literally emailed the developer about this a few months ago and got back a reply about how to get the rotary to act linear. This works perfectly once set up but its not the most straightforward. I do wish it was just a checkbox on the rotary to switch between modes, but at least there is an option.

It's funny you should mention linear Radial control - after a number of users also expressed interest in such a feature, we added the Radial HV layout under the example layouts in a recent update.
    TouchOSC's new local message abilities are quite capable, and this is a good example that should give users an idea of how using local messages between objects can greatly expand the possible behavior.

This example uses faders overlaid over radials; the two faders are mapped to control each radial respectively (one horizontal fader and one vertical fader), and the faders have most of their UI elements turned off, essentially hiding them. The radials, underneath the faders, are visible but have interactivity disabled. So as a result, you are moving a hidden fader, that's controlling the radial, allowing you to achieve this horizontal or vertical radial control.

This is achievable with only a single local message between the two objects, and the flexibility of UI and control options for objects allows for a much more complex interaction between different objects that can be used to greatly expand functionality.
    We encourage users to experiment with local messages, and we do intend to create more example layouts and other content that will help explain some of this new functionality!
    More information on local messages can be found here: Editor · Messages · Local · TouchOSC | hexler.net

• @quartzite said:
    @skrat I literally emailed the developer about this a few months ago and got back a reply about how to get the rotary to act linear. This works perfectly once set up but its not the most straightforward. I do wish it was just a checkbox on the rotary to switch between modes, but at least there is an option.

It's funny you should mention linear Radial control - after a number of users also expressed interest in such a feature, we added the Radial HV layout under the example layouts in a recent update.
    TouchOSC's new local message abilities are quite capable, and this is a good example that should give users an idea of how using local messages between objects can greatly expand the possible behavior.

This example uses faders overlaid over radials; the two faders are mapped to control each radial respectively (one horizontal fader and one vertical fader), and the faders have most of their UI elements turned off, essentially hiding them. The radials, underneath the faders, are visible but have interactivity disabled. So as a result, you are moving a hidden fader, that's controlling the radial, allowing you to achieve this horizontal or vertical radial control.

This is achievable with only a single local message between the two objects, and the flexibility of UI and control options for objects allows for a much more complex interaction between different objects that can be used to greatly expand functionality.
    We encourage users to experiment with local messages, and we do intend to create more example layouts and other content that will help explain some of this new functionality!
    More information on local messages can be found here: Editor · Messages · Local · TouchOSC | hexler.net

Oh, thanks a lot, pretty cool that it's doable, just as you say: It would make sense to make this an option, since the radial gesture is simply a no-no. It is very rarely used, when I occasionally stumble upon it in some app, it always seems like the developer has zero experience with other music apps and just guess how this kind of UI should be implemented...

• @skrat said:

@quartzite said:

Oh, thanks a lot, pretty cool that it's doable, just as you say: It would make sense to make this an option, since the radial gesture is simply a no-no. It is very rarely used, when I occasionally stumble upon it in some app, it always seems like the developer has zero experience with other music apps and just guess how this kind of UI should be implemented...

I recommend contacting the developer. Direct reports to a developer tend to carry more weight than forum posts.

• edited September 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@skrat said:

@quartzite said:

I recommend contacting the developer. Direct reports to a developer tend to carry more weight than forum posts.

sure, just did it :wink: just wanted to first get the "collective consciousness", letting developers to do their job instead of replying one-by-one to each user.

• Yea I think the more folks that contact the dev the more likely it is to get baked in. This one specifically is something I think a lot of new users bounce off of.

I will say I love the new TouchOSC. Its very responsive, easily editable on your iPad and supports splitscreen view. Also the scripting is very powerful. I'm really glad to see there is something to take the place of Lemur for my uses.

• @quartzite said:
    Yea I think the more folks that contact the dev the more likely it is to get baked in. This one specifically is something I think a lot of new users bounce off of.

I will say I love the new TouchOSC. Its very responsive, easily editable on your iPad and supports splitscreen view. Also the scripting is very powerful. I'm really glad to see there is something to take the place of Lemur for my uses.

Definitely, it's amazing tool. Just building my "extended arm" for Drambo, which will be a replacement for times when I'm too lazy to connect the MIDI controller (which is 99% of the time :smiley:). It works either via split screen (Drambo do real split screen too!) or from iPhone if I have it by my hand. This really opens amazing opportunities... If only apps would support OSC with feedback too... OK, stop dreaming :lol:

• edited September 2021

@skrat said:

@quartzite said:
    Yea I think the more folks that contact the dev the more likely it is to get baked in. This one specifically is something I think a lot of new users bounce off of.

Definitely, it's amazing tool. Just building my "extended arm" for Drambo, which will be a replacement for times when I'm too lazy to connect the MIDI controller (which is 99% of the time :smiley:). It works either via split screen (Drambo do real split screen too!) or from iPhone if I have it by my hand. This really opens amazing opportunities... If only apps would support OSC with feedback too... OK, stop dreaming :lol:

Yea totally, I'm using it for very similar purposes. I built a template that covers most of what I use on my APC 40. Also another one that I use for feedback routings in Drambo. I have Drambo sending its mapped parameters values on preset load so I can use my templates (or controllers) for a number of live-based interactions (and see what the parameter is set to). Its was a pain to set up but now it works really well.

• edited September 2021

[Deleted, I thought I was editing instead of quoting]

• @skrat said:

@espiegel123 said:

@skrat said:

@quartzite said:

sure, just did it :wink: just wanted to first get the "collective consciousness", letting developers to do their job instead of replying one-by-one to each user.

Thanks for posting. I felt the same about the rotary knobs but was lazy about contacting the developer. Will do so now that I know others are doing the same.